Hop Storm IPA | BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

Style: American IPA

Added by womencantsail on 12-14-2010

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 27
3.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from tap into Pilsner glass (I think that is the only glass BJ has). Dark golden to look at with 1 finger head that recedes pretty quick. Smells of citrus, caramel and malt. Taste pretty much the same. This is a good serviceable IPA for when I go there with my family. Not a bad beer with food, not overly bitter, so think they profiled an IPA that wouldn't assault the palate, and that is pretty much what this is. My go to beer when I am there

3.56/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

It was ok . . . I mean, I didn't really care for it all that much but it wasn't bad. Reminded me of Victory ' Hop Devil. The hop bitterness was there but it was way to malt forward. Like it was a nice ipa at one time bit sat in the light for about a year.

3.98/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a draft into an imperial pint glass at BJ’s Restaurant and Brewery in Culver City, Calif. About a finger of head when I got it. Color was honey golden pale. Fluffy white lacing on the top. Really good looking film - white, soapy and foamy - that lasted throughout the pour.

Smelled citrus hops, a mixture of tangerine and lemon. Wet, caramel malts as well.

Initially the taste was worse than the smell. More grainy and rough. Caramel malts mixed with citrus hops. Bitter finish in the tongue after. Got used to it more later. A very poor man’s Double Jack.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter finish.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I would definitely try it again if it’s in the BJ’s near my place.

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

On-tap at BJ's Brea

A: The pour is a hazy amber/copper color, a bit too dark for my liking when it comes to an IPA. A finger or so worth of khaki colored head.

S: The nose starts off nicely with some tropical fruits like pineapple and mango. That's about where the pleasantries end. After that I get some bubblegum, very sweet caramel malt, and toffee.

T: Intensely sweet to begin, and things don't change too much. There's a weird spice flavor like cinnamon and nutmeg. Lots of sweet, caramel malt and toffee. There's a bit of bitterness, but not a very pleasant one.

M: The body is medium to full with the carbonation a bit on the low side for an IPA.

D: This was pretty awful, especially for something that should be easy to do, like an IPA. No real hop character to speak of...

Hop Storm IPA from BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.