Freaktoberfest Big Ol' Pumpkin Ale | Coney Island Brewing Company

New York, United States
coneyislandbeer.com

Style: Pumpkin Beer

Availability: Fall

Freaktoberfest is a hauntingly complex, deep amber, pumpkin and espresso ale. Caramel aromas intermingle with hints of allspice and cinnamon. A roasted rich body is highlighted by Greenpoint’s own Cafe Grumpy’s specially selected espresso beans, and is finished with sweet pumpkin.

Malts: 2 Row, Flaked Oats, Flaked Rye, Kilned Coffee Malt
Hops: Tettnang
Special Ingredients: Pumpkin Puree, Allspice, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Espresso Beans
ABV: 6.2%
IBUs: 20

Added by Todd on 06-29-2008

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I ordered this 22oz'er at the bar, the bartender waited around as I poured, explaining that he had heard about how the beer "poured weird." I didn't know what to expect, and I certainly had not counted on how red it was. Poured like sparkling rose wine, if a tad darker. Pink hued, soda-y head displayed pretty good lacing. Yes, this beer gets style points.

There is definitely berry to the aroma, which I guess gives a hint as to where the color comes from. Not sure what kind or how many. When the whiff combined with the detectable sweet, caramel malt notes I thought of a (maybe artificial) strawberry pound cake. The hops contributed a sharpness that brought raspberry to mind.

The taste of berries is surprisingly and thankfully slight. Chocolate and caramel malts give way to a boatload of grassy hops. Bittering palate remains for a while.

Medium carbonation, medium body. The hop resins (overdone, in my opinion) probably contributed to a somewhat slippery mouthfeel.

An interesting or "freaky" take indeed. It is kinda tasty, and I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be seeking it out in the future by any means.

3.77/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Poured out a cranberry red color with a pink, bubbly, foamy, one-finger head.

S - It smelled of roasted malt, grasses and some dried fruit.

T - It tasted of burnt toast maltiness, some spice and hops. It had a dried cherry flavor, too.

M - It was dry, crisp and sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good brew. The color was amusing and unsettling at the same time.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

I grabbed this one at the store yesterday on my way home, as it was the last one left and I had yet to try it this year. Served cold, right out of my fridge and poured into a tall pilsner glass. This one was consumed on 10/21/2008.

The pour was one of the most interesting that I have seen in quite some time I have to admit. Kind of a freaky, blood tinted lager, funny as hell I have to admit. Very cloudy and hazy with a good amount of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Nice touches of lace about two inches high coming up and over the top and converging down into a thin layer that lasted throughout the session.

The aroma was quite pleasant to me. Nice sharp hop notes coming through with a good touch of citrus hops mixed in throughout and really providing a nice, biting note to the aroma. Some light touches of grain and a nice overall presence of bready malts all blending together well. There was a light fruit note to it, but I did not find it at all distracting. The flavor to me was a mix between a light IPA, a smooth marzen, and a touch of a fruit beer. Very interesting and well received I have to admit. Crisp and clean, with the big hop notes slicing through the profile first, and then diving off into the bready underbelly. This smoothed and finally came into a nice bout of light fruit notes, maybe it was cherry, but it was very light and I really think the strong citrus hops are what really needs to be notated here. Clean, dry finish left a long bitter taste in the mouth that left me ready for the next sip. Easy smooth session ability just capped what was an all around enjoyable experience for me.

In the end, I have to say I really liked this one. I found it to be a welcome change to what I have found around lately. An interesting take, a kind of a hybrid style. This one was something I would definitely want to get a hold of again.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from the bottle a strawberry kool-aid red with a thin pink head.

Aroma of light malt, piney hops, and a medicinal berry note. Similar to a cough medicine.

Hoppy bitterness upfront with a hint of berry. Finish is dry and lightly malted. 6.66% is well hidden with no beastly presence.

Medium bodied, dry, and moderately carbonated.

The bitterness overpowers any potential fruit or hops that might be present. This one puts really puts the red into red lager. I wonder if I'll pee orange later...

3.27/5  rDev -0.6%

Great label. Pours the color of a cherry cough drop with a pink soapy low head. Big aroma of grapefruit hops and spiciness.

Initial flavor of orange rind hops, some sweet malt, cinnamon and a soapy, fruity linger that slowly turns to a piney bitter. Finishes a bit rough, slightly astringent, again reminiscent of a medicinal cough drop.

Full mouthfeel with a bubbly, tingly finish. Below average drinkability, I couldn't finish the bomber and endure the medicinal flavor.

2.91/5  rDev -11.6%

Upon pouring this fruity, blood-looking beer, I was the opposite of delighted.
The only remaining quality is that it's liquid for when you're thirsty.
My friend described this beer as wine mixed with beer. Maybe that's harsh. But this beer is even so a real novelty. No point trying it unless you've got no other choice.

2.47/5  rDev -24.9%

As others have said this is definitely more a red ale than an Oktoberfest. I'm also not a fan of dyed beer- just another adjunct, and one that serves no purpose and contributes a bit of an acrid taste. Pours bright red with a pink head and leaves some lacing. Smells malty and a bit grainy with a strangely fruity and acrid overlay. Perhaps rhubarb? Tastes of that fruity acrid bitterness. Typical red dye flavor, and that ruins the rest of it for me. Couldn't finish this.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Coney Island- Freaktoberfest

A- Pours a weird blood red with a fluffy pink head. Light lacing.
S- Light sugary sweet malt. Hints of shortbread.
T- Again sweet, caramel malt with hints of food dye/ coloring, maybe I'm just imagining this?! Slightly buttery.
M- Sweet, creamy, and buttery but flavors fizzle and it just seems sorta empty.

Overall- Average at best, being red and pink with a 6.66% abv I think this is more of a gimick beer. Pick up a bomber for novelty sake, its tolerable.

2.77/5  rDev -15.8%

Picked this up because the word octoberfest was in there somewhere. Pours a clear dye job red with pink head and clumps of lacing. It looks like one of those malternative+caffeine "beers." Smell: luckily it smells like it should: sweet malts... caramel, munich or something similar. Taste: upfront there is an astringent medicinal nastiness. Malts underneath, but it's hard to get to them. Threw it back into the fridge, a little better colder, but still too much medicinal taste for me...and a little too much alcohol present for the <7% abv.

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street in Manhattan...
This was a very peculiar beer... Not sure what style to label it exactly... Somewhere in between an Octoberfest and an American Amber seems about right...
Appearance: As mentioned before, the theme here is blood... Pours dark-pink, foamy and thick...
Smell: Obvious malts detected along with slight fruit essences...
Taste: Thick, creamy flavor... Hinted at ambers and grains, rich malts, slightly sweet... Definitely a different type of brew...
Mouthfeel was surprisingly thick and rich...
Decent level of drinkability considering your'e drinking a blood-red substance...

2.06/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a blood red color with a light pink colored head. I am not going to bitch about the color of this beer, I actually think it is quite fitting for a Halloween themed beer.

S- Not much going on in the aroma. There are some hints of malt, but not much.

T- The taste like the aroma is pretty subpar. There is some grainy malt with a pretty weird slightly bitter aftertaste that I find to be somewhat offensive.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- I am not a huge fan of the taste of this beer. It has an odd aftertaste and the alcohol sticks out far too much for a beer under 7% ABV. Interesting concept for a holiday themed beer, but they need to go back to the drawing board on the flavor.

2.97/5  rDev -9.7%

22oz bottle 6.66%

Wow, this beer pours a blood red color with lots of visible carbonation and a small pink head, not usually my thing, but im digging this. The nose on the other hand is that of machine funk and stale grain, not funky, but stale and dried. Slightly roasted but semi-sweet malts and bread are dominant in flavor, spicy hops attempt a rounding balance. A gym-socky funk lingers through out. Make sure you drink this guy COLD, as it warms it gets, eh difficult. There is no "red" flavor, there is no cherry flavor, dont let the appearance contort your judgement on this one, i drank most of it with my eyes closed because i was trying to pull apart the few lager subtleties when my brain was just thinking RED every time i'd inspect the beer. As far as the concept goes, perfectly executed. As far as the beer goes, eh, its nothing to write home about but i would totally buy it again just to see the look on a friends face.

3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

The name be damned, this beer is an American Amber/Red Lager... not, I repeat, NOT a Marzen-Oktoberfest, and I'll be judging it accordingly, despite all the bashing the brew has endured up til now!

A 22-ounce bomber bottle poured into a pint willi glass yields a hazy, fruit-punchy red-orange body with an invitingly-thick and creamy cap of pinkish-orangish-ivory foam. As the head slowly settles to a bubbly sheet, a few freckles and rings of lacing appear on the glass.

The smell of the drink is malty and caramel sweet with a mild spiciness and an earthy hop note.

The taste is fruity and malty with a dry, toasted biscuity backbone and more fruit in the finish. Warming alcohol is a presence, lurking about, masquerading as honeydew melon juice with a note of dried apple peel. A mild, but crisp bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

The drink is full-bodied and creamy with a light fluffy nature. A great amber/red lager with an unfortunate name that makes drinkers think of Oktoberfest, lederhosen, and Marzen, when clearly, this just isn't a beer representing that style. Exceptionally smooth with good drinkability.

3.32/5  rDev +0.9%

JoeyBeerBelly's review number 666...

22oz bottle served in a tulip glass.

L - hat's off to Shmaltz for making a true 'red' beer as a Halloween novelty. I don't care how they did it or what was used, this beer is exactly what they wanted... a blood red beer!

S - it has a grainy, macro lager aroma.

T - it tastes just like a can a Schaefer tastes.

F - it's a mildly carbonated, light bodied lager beer.

D - it's as good as any other macro beer being served at most Halloween party's, but this beer is blood red, man!

3.36/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bomber poured into a pint mug.

Ok, the label is great, and I LOVE Coney Island. Too bad the stated mission of preserving the old scruffy awesome feel of the place has failed, Astroland has bee sold, Disney and its corporate brethren are poised to invade and ruin the place. Anyway...the look of this beer is insane, blood red with coloring. I lik the idea of a beer that looks like blood for Halloween so I am into it. No head, though.

The aroma is average, fairly hoppy and malty, not bad. The flavor recalls Sam Adams more than anything else I can think of--the clor makes you think there should be fruit but there is not, it is a crisp, decent, average malty amber lager. For the record, I like this better than Sam Adams, it's not a bad beer, but this style is ceratinly not one of my favorites. I definitely give these guys credit for taking the idea of an artificially colored beer and just going there. A must-have for the next time you are dressed as a vampire.

4.32/5  rDev +31.3%

A: snifter. pours a nice hearty red...very valentine's day red. nice bright pink head. good retention and good lacing. nice waterfall effect.

S: nice aroma. good mild malts well-balanced with the hops. some fruity notes are there, but far in the back. like maracchino cherries or fruit punch.

T: some odd fruit punch flavors...could be mental. good lager characteristics...well-balanced mild malts with mild malts. more bite though.

M: low-bodied to medium bodied. smooth and mellow with some bite.

D: very nice and odd brew, and well worth a try if you can find it.

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 1 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Seriously, dye in your beer is stupid. Come on people. Other then that, it's a slightly above middling brew. Don't rush out and find this one, but if it comes to you, it won't totally make you sad. But the dye . . . such a stupid concept, we are not 5 years old.

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

BLOODY GOOD!

Appearance: RED. This is the coolest looking beer I have ever seen! It literally has a color like cranberry juice (or, as is more appropriate for halloween, blood). Has a crazy two finger pink head which takes a minute or two to dissipate and leaves some really cool pink lacing behind.

Smell: I detected some berries and citrus, good hops, some grain, and a light malt.

Taste: Starts off with a bitter kick, then gets sweet and malty. Berries and hops are definately in the undertone. Overall a nice, autumn-like refreshing taste.

Mouthfeel: A little thin, but not watery. Doesn't have a very carbonated feel in the mouth, so it isn't too fizzy or bubbly. Leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste behind, with some sweetness there as well.

Drinkability: I really liked this beer. If you're having a Halloween party this year, this is the beer to serve. It's awesome looking, and has a great Autumn taste. I'm a big fan of red lager, and if you are too, I suggest you try this "freaky" beer before Dracula drinks it all.

2.21/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours clear red (not copper - RED). Head is pink and frothy, dissipating quickly but leaving sheets of lacing. I am now quickly realizing that this is not the Oktoberfest style brew I had been expecting, but is instead a red lager. It's freaky. I get it. That's fine with me.

Aroma is sweet and malty, but not complex. Very mild overall. Some grainyness and a hint of subtle hops.

Taste starts off with an artificial sweetner character. Mixed tropical fruit notes. Lightly nutty with a bit of metallic twang. Some earthy, spicy hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is under-carbonated. I'm left looking for something more.

The flavor starts off with an artificial overly sweet maltiness that is not brought into balance. Even the malt profile lacks any subtleties; such as a pleasant toasted, or biscuit quality. This is a beer that is disjointed, and mediocre at best. There are too many good beers out there for me to waste my time on this one again...

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Coney Island Freaktoberfest pours a dark red with a pink tinged head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. The aroma is malty and citrusy, leaning toward grapefruit. The flavor is pretty malty, the hops are definitely noticeable though. There's a fair amount of bitterness toward the end, once again it's a touch citrusy, with grapefruit being what comes to mind. I'm a big fan of IPA's that have grapefruit tastes from the hops, but this isn't really quite the same, probably because the malt bill is completely different. The hop flavor becomes dominant as the beer warms. Not bad, I think it could be a bit better balanced.

3.34/5  rDev +1.5%

Found this one in a random store I usually don't visit and had to pick it up based on name alone. Not much of a description on the bottle so I wasn't sure what I was getting into. The most interesting part is that the beer pours a dark red and sports a almost pink head. Big malt and brisket smell comes off with a touch of hops. More of the same on the first sip, big malt flavor with not much hops going on. Pretty good but nothing to amazing. Still a fun beer to drink around October and I'd pick it up again.

1.56/5  rDev -52.6%

22 oz. bottle,

A: Pours an Anaheim Angel red into a pint glass with a medium pink head, weird look, similar to Lindeman's Framboise. It turned my tongue a bright red.

S: Smell is quite light, got some grain notes, some hay and earth from the hops.

T: Taste gives a very rough grain component, with some grassy hops which is an OK flavour. It goes downhill with this bad cold medicine ending like Red Grape Dimetapp which really ruins the beer, could it be due to the artificial colour, I don't know, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable.

M: No real problems here, kind of watery, light/medium body, medicinal.

D: The ending flavour certainly lowers the drinkablity for me, I'll try to finish the bottle, but it won't be easy. Next time I see it, skip. I've enjoyed the other Shmaltz beers I've had to this point, so I was surprised at how poor this one ended up being. Drain pour.

3.09/5  rDev -6.1%

This beers pours a very freaky blood red raspberry. When you hold it to the light, some cherry wood highlights. Like nothing you've ever seen. Very cool.

Macro grass smell. Nothing freaky bout the smell.

Average taste, sweeter than a coney dog.

Average aftertaste. I thought it'd be more malty, just a stingy sweet aftertaste.

Not a great beer, the color's the best thing about it. Love the old school logos and sayings on it and the abv is 6.66.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

I was thinking, all right, time for the Coney Island take on the Octoberfest style. What a surprise!!!

I should of seen the color coming, what with 6.66% abv and the font used for freaktoberfest eluding to something sinister in the bottle. The colro is almost mirror image of Lindeman's Framboise. Rasberry read juice with not much of a head or foam, and only a few sluggish bubbles rising to the top. I would give this beer a "5", but the color is the only exceptional part of appearance. The aroma is medium biscuits, milled grains, and spicy hops. The taste starts with piney orange zest that dissolves into spiced citrus buns. The palate is pretty spicey, almost peppercorn and herbs. But still smooth and drinkable.

I love the fact that this beer doesn't smell or taste the way it looks.

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%

Dissonance for the taste buds --- what you see isn't precisely what you get. Cleverly made, this semi-bitter red lager looks and pours like a lambic. Crazy.

The appearance almost makes this concoction hard to judge but nonetheless this is a grassy, somewhat hoppy beer. Medium bodied, relatively easy to drink and quite the odd experience. Finish is citrus and grassy flavors brought out by the hops.

Try it just to have the appearance - flavor incongruence experience. Beyond that, I'm not sure if this is something that stands out, per se. Nonetheless, I do appreciate the fact that Shmaltz is challenging not just taste buds but the perception of what a beer should be.

Freaktoberfest Big Ol' Pumpkin Ale from Coney Island Brewing Company