1910 Smoked Porter | Draught Works

Draught Works
Montana, United States
draughtworksbrewery.com

Style: American Porter

One of our seasonals. 1910 refers to the year of the "Great Burn". The largest forest fire in the US history (Washington, Idaho, Montana). This smoked porter includes chocolate, black malt, and smoke Munich malt. The smoked character is nicely balanced with additions of English hop varieties.

Added by zhanson88 on 01-06-2013

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

Reviews by zhanson88:
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

I could not remember exactly what the ABV of this beer was, but I know it was in the 8-9% range. Had on site at the brewery.

Appearance: Pours out very dark brown with some deep ruby highlights on the edges of the glass. Close to pitch black. 1" of light tan head forms. Retention and lacing are both excellent.

Smell: Smells of roast and milk chocolate, with some light to medium smoke notes overlaying all. Was half expecting this to be a smoke bomb, but the smoked malts are really used to accentuate the beer. Nice.

Taste: Roast, chocolate, and moderate smoke throughout. Very nice balance on the sweet vs. smoke notes. Very similar to the smell all in all.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Medium mouthfeel, with a nice, moderate carbonation level. Overall, I was a big fan of this. Smoked beer lovers might be a bit disappointed with the relatively low level of smoke in this, but from a drinkability standpoint it was about right for me. I had a couple pints of this, and honestly wish I had brought a growler down as I would have filled it up before heading back to GF. Definitely recommended.

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

1910 Smoked Porter from Draught Works