Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sins Of Our Fathers Imperial Stout | Crooked Fence Brewing

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.24/5  rDev -41.1%

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

2.57/5  rDev -32.4%

Big thanks to JohnGalt1 for sending me this in a trade a few months back. Slight label variation noted, this brew is 9.5% ABV vs. BA listing.

Appearance: Pours out a fairly thin looking dark brown. About 1" of khaki colored head forms, which has surprisingly short retention time and virtually no lacing. Between the thin looking body and below average head characteristics, not a great looking beer.

Smell: A bit of roast, a bit of coffee, perhaps a bit of milk chocolate and licorice. I also get faint piney American hops. Nothing really noteworthy about this.... scents are very cohesive, but just kind of plain.

Taste: Roast, coffee, and a hint of milk chocolate are noticeable up front, with a bit of hoppiness on the back end. Overall though, this is an extremely thin and watery stout. Has some nice base flavors, but it is close to astoundingly thin for a 9.5% ABV stout.

Mouthfeel/Overall: To repeat myself, extremely thin and watery. Definitely the weak link of this beer, and really brings down every other characteristic. Overall, this beer does have some redeeming qualities, but is just too thin to be a good example of the style. Work on that body a bit and it will improve every other aspect of the beer, at least for me.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2016-08-26
22oz capped and waxed bottle served in a large snifter. Pretty sure @mr-jj gave it to me. I don't see a date on it.

Pours black (as it poured, the stream looked like a dark ruby brown) with a tiny ring of tannish head that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Carbonation exists, but is slow and tiny. Looks fairly normal for an imperial stout. Smell is almost burnt coffee -- extremely roasty. A bit of black licorice.

Taste is super strong on the black licorice, and not nearly as strong on the roasted coffee. A shame for me, because the reverse would be more pleasant -- I'm not a black licorice fan, except when it's more like an accent in a beer (not a central theme, like this beer). Consequently, I don't like it a lot, although I could see black licorice fans liking it a lot. If I search for it, there's coffee there. I'll keep drinking it for now and see how I feel after I get more accustomed to it and it starts to warm up. If I change my mind about it, I'll edit my scores.

Mouthfeel is almost thick, somewhat sticky. Overall, not a bad beer, but the flavor is not my favorite.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Smells roasty and chocolate. Deep black with a small tan head. Flavor is pretty good, sweet and malty mainly with some hop and roast bitter balance. Ripe fruit yeast esters. But it's kind of thin body and none of the flavors really stands out or seems like a big Imperial Stout. It's fine but if I'm thinking of great impy stouts to seek out this won't get in the conversation.

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Very dark inky brown. Adequate foam and carbonation. Malty and boozy smell. And coffee. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel. Sweet caramel with a dark side. Burnt sugar followed by the hoppy bitterness.

Strong coffee flavor with bitter chocolate chaser. Overall, it's sweet, grainy, and coarse. Not the most inspired brew, but one of the greatest beer labels of all time (do a search for a better image). From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've had this twice now... both bottles were picked up at the brewery on Chinden. Ditmier's buddy "ScubaSteve" brought a bottle to the RIS tasting at Sammy's house.... A coworker shared a bottle with me after a long day of election work.

Pours a pretty deep brown head... the brew is about black but allows some light through on the stem end of my glass... spotty lacing and only okay retention.

The nose is pretty good but mild... seems just enough dark malt and minor coffee jumps out of the goblet... a bit thin on the aroma.

Flavor mirrors the nose but has a lingering dark maltiness on the palate.... midpalate is light char and some dark cocoa... not really getting any hoppiness... More of "everything RIS" would be appreciated.

Body is a decent medium for the style... I would hope for more body and more malt punch with every taste... Seems for me too attenuated and could use more malt on the flavor and on the palate.

Still though... I think it is a great jump into the style... Hammer it down and you will have a winner.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Bomber thanks to Toby. Really cool label. Pours a jet black color with a small white head. A nose of dark fruit, chocolates. The flavor is dominated by sweet dry earthy ash, cocoa, chocolates, light banana and dark fruit. Very ashy. Good. Milky at times.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast