Poles Apart (Bourbon Barrel Aged) | DUO Brewing

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by barleywinefiend on 12-10-2012

Reviews by havoc1:
5/5  rDev 0%

Dear god, this is by far the best milk stout I've ever had! It's brewed in Puyallup, WA and we drank it at the Tippe & Drague Alehouse on Beacon Hill in Seattle.

A: No light escapes. Pure black with excellent brown head with a bit of lacing as I sipped.

S / T / M: I can't write a bunch of fancy stuff about whimsical hints of chocolate melodies, but I'll say that it was smooth, rich, thick, the chocolate and vanilla and bourbon with a coffee finish were perfectly balanced with the booze, and 12oz was enough to satisfy me for a meal. This is definitely a sipping beer, as you'll want to savor each one. Extremely complex!

O: Simply amazing. I'm trying hard and failing to think of any beer I ever enjoyed more. This is the beer that finally motivated me to write this--my first ever (and possibly only) review.

4.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured black with a nice brown cap with pretty good head retention, leaving behind multiple brown rings clinging to the glass as I happily drink it down

S: Immediate milky like sweetness, with a decadent chocolate note topped with a subtle coffee, whiffs of vanilla and bourbon notes

T: Holy smokes. This beer is decadence in a glass from start to finsh. Initial wave of creamy milk sweetness hits the taste buds followed by subtle bourbon, vanilla notes which blend exceptionally well with milk chocolate, some nice roastiness and whimsical coffee note. The finish is sweet, complex, smooth and silky.

M: Medium bodied, creamy, a nice amount of sweetness, loads of flavor just cling to the palate

O: I would dare say this is the best milk stout I have ever had. So much flavor, complexity and decadence. This beer is balanced and the barrel influence on this beer was absolutely perfect.

Poles Apart (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from DUO Brewing