Happy Ending Imperial Stout | SweetWater Brewing Company

Added by rajendra82 on 08-26-2004

4.2

Ratings: 1,126 |  Reviews: 425
4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

I rarely review beers on here without epiphany, but this one got me. It's one of the most well balanced beers I've had ever, and it's rare I appreciate "balance"... but with a grain of salt since this is an imperial Stout and keeping with the style, it does have high alcohol and such, but it was only at the end of tasting that I figured out what perfect balance really does, it makes other beers afterwards taste like crap!... And this beer is perfect for that. Its got a perfect flavor profile for a beer-o-phile to love as balance to the extreme... Meaning high malt level, high hop level, high milk/chocolate/coffee level, and sure a slightly high alcohol level (but doesn't overpower anything, particularly considering the ABV).... but the important thing is that though all levels are "high" here, they don't overpower each other and this turns out to be a crazily easy to drink beer which only seems to manifest its greatness when trying a different beer afterward and whatever beer that is will taste distinctly different (or bad) since the inbalance of that followup beer is amplified by perfect balance of this beer... Keep it up, and please don't change anything about this beer... EVER!

Here's the kicker.. I reviewed this beer as Founders Imperial Stout initially since that's what I thought it was based on the slips I handed in at the Flying Suacer!.... but it turns out it was Sweetwater, which I'm quite familiar with their other beers and was not until now impressed by their selection. This beer is quite good and masterfully made to be subtle yet powerful... And any beer guru should be able to see it in this beer. So I went ahead and transferred my review to the correct location!

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

It is so worth the money to buy beer with flavor. Anyway this beer is very dark as most stouts are quite inviting with 1/2 in. head when poured into glass. The smell it strong of hops and hint of malts. It has an excellent taste it starts with a spicy taste of hops with a balance finish with the malts. The beer has quite the mouthfeel very warming. Overall a great beer World Class in my book. Anyway don't take my word for it get one for yourself!!

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I snagged a bottle and poured it not expecting a whole heckuva lot. Aroma is all hops. Much hoppier than I had expected. Mouthfeel is a lill thin, but very nice overall. Flavor is hoppy and tasty while being rather excellent. Alcohol is felt more in the belly than in the mouth. I'll definitely look to get another one of these to cellar. Great beer!

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

Love the name, love the brewery, thus had to give it a try.

Poured this one into proper pint glass.

Darker then dark in appearance--laser beams and 50 caliber tracer rounds could not penetrate this level of blackness. The head is light chocolate brown and sinks down fast but never leaves.
The aroma is pure West Coast hop explosion. If I were to try this blind folded I'd swear it was a really good IPA. Somewhere in this glass I detect some barley malt and sweetness, but it's smothered with citrus and piney hops.

The hop bitterness dominates unlike any other stout I've encountered before but the roasted barley malt, chocolate and coffee flavors are still there and present themselves boldly.

The mouthfeel is velvet smooth, with spot-on carbonation.

Overall this is one of the best stouts I've ever had--and my expectations were high with this brewery.
Warning: Given the 9% ABV, Do not drink this beer while operating heavy machinery, preforming brain surgery, walking a tight-rope or doing long division.

3.96/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle into a goblet

A: Pours pitch black with almost two fingers of light brown head. Carbonation is very thick and seems to stick around forever. Beautiful.

S: Strong piney and citrus hoppiness - almost smells like an IPA. Underneath, I smell roasted malt and a hint of milk chocolate sweetness.

T: A great mixture of hoppiness and roasted malt. Some milk chocolate sweetness helps to sweeten the beer a bit. I wish there were a bit more stout characteristics here, but the taste is good nonetheless. It's just more an American black ale than an imperial stout. As it warms, it gets better and better. I get more dark and milk chocolate flavor.

M: A bit thin, but good carbonation.

O: This is an extremely hoppy imperial stout. Not only is it quite bitter, but the later hop additions are very strong. It's also a bit thin. It could use some body and dark chocolate notes to help it out. It's a very good american black ale, though.

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

-Appearance 4.0: Another stout that gets it right. Jet black with a half-inch, khaki head. Head dissipated and left some interesting looking foamy residue.

-Smell 3.5: Very subdued bouquet, but I pick out lots of hops and a slight toasted/smokiness. Promising.

-Taste 2.5: Slight hoppiness up-front that fades to a deeper hoppiness in the middle. Finish is even more hops and a very, very slight smokiness. Dry finish, too. This is an Imperial Stout? I taste no chocolate, dried fruit, coffee...you know, those things that Imperial Stouts taste like. Very strange.

-Mouthfeel 3.0: Good mouthfeel. Standard amount of carbonation and body.

-Overall 2.5: I don't know what to say, except that this tastes more like an IPA than a stout. The dry finish and the overall lack of the hallmarks of an Imperial Stout force me to give this brew a low grade. If you like this beer, good for you. Sorry, but I didn't and I have tried to be fair.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

3.01/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am not sure what happened to this beer. I used to love this beer. Unfortunately it turned into one of the most disappointed stouts around. The taste is of burnt charged malts and it has an extremely thin mouth feel for a stout. Hopefully Sweetwater will update the recipe.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: Best before 12/31/11 so I figured today was the best day to drink it

Look: Black and totally opaque with a 1/2 inch brown head and really good retention and lots of tiny little carbonation bubbles are all over the glass

Smell: Roasted malts mixed with some chocolate brownies

Taste: Lots of floral hops greet you right away and damn if it doesn't create a sweetness that I am not that big of a fan of. The backend has some roasted malt chocolate and coffee but they are fairly muted

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: This actually reminds me more of a CDA than a Imperial stout due to that I had to mark the score down a bit. It is a decent beer and I would drink it again

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

fresh!

poured jet black under a half inch tan head into a Sweetwater SAVE THE HOOCH pint glass. Trailing throughout are rings of lace. The piney hops exceed the aroma of chocolate. The taste brings a minor citrus quality with roasty malts, and more of the hops and bitter chocolate. Happy Ending is pretty thin, and a bit too carbonated for my taste. It's easy for me to find though, and will probably not be my last six pack as it's very drinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%