Sweetwater Sch'Wheat | SweetWater Brewing Company

Added by elgiacomo on 03-21-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 134
3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

I'm usually very impressed with Sweetwater brews, but this one doesn't live up to the rest of their stable. It pours nicely into a glass, builds about 1/2" foam which dissipates quickly, and leaves behind a beer that looks like it has great potential. Color is a straw-like cloudy. The smell is where things start to go wrong, it's just not nearly as strong on fruit as I'm accustomed to in wheat ales.

Unfortunately the taste also isn't there. While it's got a hint of hops, a bit of citrus and the requisite wheat flavor, it's just not as good a variation on its category as, say, the Sweetwater IPA. It does feel great in your mouth; I don't think the carbonation is overdone, and I could drink it all afternoon, so that's a definite plus in its corner. Unfortunately, the taste isn't quite there to make it worth me picking up another 6-pack.

2.46/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow color with significant haziness, and strings of carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Bright white head - not very thick and disappears almost immediately. To be honest, this thing looks a lot like a light American Adjunct, but more haze. Strong wheat aroma with a helping of citrusy lime. Decent nose. Taste is very lackluster - the wheat is there...and a slight hint of hops with cirtus/lime. All in all though, the taste is weak. My chick had a sip of it and said "It tastes like water!" My thoughts were along similar lines - wheaty water. Mouthfeel is thin with heavy carbonation. Can't help but think of Budweiser as I drink it.

In sum, disappointment. But I've started to expect that from Sweetwater. C'mon Sweetwater, what are you guys doing? You have it in you to make top notch brews - do you just not care?

I will say though that this is refreshing and easy to drink. But so is water, and that's a lot cheaper.

4.48/5  rDev +29.5%

Don't know much about wheat brews but hey this beer is pretty good. It does have a hazy yellow color with an interesting smell. The taste is nice though you taste wheat you also taste a bit of hops. The only other wheat beer I have had is budlight golden wheat and I hated it. I don't know what it is supposed to taste like but it reminded me of the budweiser clamata or how every you spell it. The one with the tomato or whatever. I didn't like it at all. Oh well!! Like I say I don't know much about wheat brews but I must say that this beer is easy to drink and very refreshing!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last