Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale | SweetWater Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale AleSweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale

SweetWater Brewing Company
Georgia, United States
sweetwaterbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Ratings: 3,629 |  Reviews: 777

I continue my tastings of hops-overloaded "beers".

This beer has all hops and no malts. Another reviewer wrote that the malt was noticeable.

No they are not. All I smelled and tasted was hops. Typical USA hopfest. Craft? Nope, just hops 24/7.

Another reviewer wrote that it tasted astringent. Excellent word choice. I could not determine the best description for the aftertaste, but astringent is more than close enough.

The aftertaste reminds me of how hospitals smell.

The hops batter your mouth until it is unconscious, then the astringent aftertaste kicks it into the gutter.

Typical USA "craft" - hops, hops, hops, hops, hops, hops and some hops. Hmmm, repetitive?

Yep.

How did Germany ever learn to maker beer without all these USA hops geniuses???????????

Because they stayed with what works, not what is popular and the fad of the hour/month/year.

Germany also gives us BMW and Benz. Gosh, we better tell them that those "old" ideas will never sell today.

Really? MB just had their 10 or 12 th straight record year. I think they know what works.

Please, insert your WWII insult at this point. Great, thanks.

I will not be buying this hopsfest ever again. Thanks for the attempt Sweetwater, but it aint working for me.

All those who like this? Enjoy a few more. My hat is off to ya. This aint for me.

1.43/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This is the worst beer I've had to date (09-25-16). It worked well in using it for cooking pancakes, but besides cooking, I would never get it again. It has a strong, bitter kick of many conflicting flavours from the beginning. While drinking, as well as the aftertaste, it is very acidic!

1.5/5  rDev -58.8%

1.5/5  rDev -58.8%

1.54/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Ugh, very disappointing with so many taps in the SE

1.7/5  rDev -53.3%

1.88/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Dank. Almost smells as dank as Newcastle. It's pretty bitter (apa). Nothing special. Light color, light head, bitter smell. Glad I tried it, won't go out of my way to drink it.

1.94/5  rDev -46.7%