Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale | SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale AleSweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale
Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale AleSweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale

SweetWater Brewing Company
Georgia, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Ratings: 3,720 |  Reviews: 796

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a trade with my local buddy, Sam Knocken, so I am delving into something other than CANs as is usually my wont.

From the bottle: "Don't Float the Mainstream!"; "A tasty west coast style pale accentuated by a stimulating hop character. First conceived in our bat cave on 4-20, this kind beer keeps the wheels on the bus going round and round."; "Drink 'em if you got 'em!"

I grew up at 420 West Walnut Street and today is my Mom-Za's birthday, so I raise this beer in a toast to her 81st!

The dense, two fingers of French Vanilla-colored head looked like the top of an ice cream cone. Color was a deep gold with NE-quality clarity and the Three Stooges, King Midas, Croesus and Mammon began fighting for a taste. SRM = 5. This is going to seem odd, but the nose reminded me of golden raisins! And/or honey plus a breadiness. Wild. Mouthfeel was pretty full for the style and I swear that it tasted more like honey than the mead I had on Wednesday. It would not be sustaining for a hophead, but it was a nice diversion. Finish was so honey-like that I began to question whether I might not be drinking a lager. It was very sweet, especially for the style. What were they smoking when they developed this recipe?!?

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%

Golden finish, very clear. Beer had a nice floral aroma but finished much more malty than I expected from a pale ale. Though it was a nice surprise. Was served in a tulip glass. Not much of a head to speak of, but that could have been the keg. I would order this again. Good beer.

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company