Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale | SweetWater Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale AleSweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale

SweetWater Brewing Company
Georgia, United States
sweetwaterbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Ratings: 3,613 |  Reviews: 777
3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

So every time I serve, I pretty much get to give this to at least one paying customer. Wonder why? Is it because it's local? Or is it because it's that dang good? Welp, after my shift today, I decided to find out for myself. Bottoms up!
---
Poured on-tap into a US Standard Pint at Wild Wing Cafe in Gainesville, GA.
A- A very medium copper color, that of a shiny new penny, also has a creamy off-white head, about a 1/2 in. thick. Very standard color, nothing that jumps out off first glance. 3.25/5
S- I get an even mixture of hops and malt spices. A tad bit of citrus is also noticeable. Very appealing scent! 4/5
T- Has a very even flavor of the smell I described. Very hoppy taste; It's crisp, sharp, and you can clearly taste the barley and citrus used in it. Lots of complexity for that of a "pale ale". 3.75/5
M- Sharp, bitter but not too much, has a "bite" to it that most other pale ales I've had don't. Can still taste the spice each and every sip. Really consistent, and goes down easy. 4/5
O- Trying to wrap my head around how this is a pale ale exactly, but it's definitely got me sold regardless! Complex, but simple at the same time, I'll have this one whenever the time calls for it. 3.75/5
---
Verdict-
Well I guess I won't fight the tide here. A fine beer, and one that I can definitely see myself ordering again. Maybe I'm a little new to the game when it comes to finer beers, but I still can't quite see how this is classified as a "pale" ale. It's got way more bite than other pale ales I've drank in the past. But, that's not dragging this beer's name in the mud or anything: It's top stuff!

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had a ton of this beer! Highly recommend. As most of all sweetwater beers are amazing. It's starting to get more and more popular in bars and restaurants as far as the taps go. You can find it in just about any beer store in the southeast. If you see it try it.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.29/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a transparent amber with a lot of bits floating around in there.

The smell is earthy, floral hops with some malt sweetness.

The taste is much the same as the smell, slightly earthy, finishes sweet.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finishes a bit watery.

Overall a pretty boring beer, very light and subtly flavoured. To be fair it's very easy to drink and would be easy to session but there are other beers I'd rather have for that purpose.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%