Double Brown Stout | Deep Ellum Brewing Company

deepellumbrewing.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by Mora2000 on 11-21-2011

4.89/5  rDev +30.7%

*** Let me first state that this beer is my top pick for cooking into chili, stew, anything in a slow cooker, or anything that requires cooking liquid, etc. It especially makes chili SO delicious. I've tried many types of beer as a cooking liquid, and this, along with the other spices and ingredients from your recipe, is the best I've ever had.***

Canned on March 10th, 2015. Poured into my pint glass at 45F as quickly and smoothly as possible. Nice 2.5 fingers of head that I can hear from almost three feet away, like soft drink fizz but the bubble size is much smaller. Nice head, lingers away quite slowly leaving only patchy, khaki and sticky lacing. Smells of caramel, vanilla, coffee, and cocoa, quite sweet, but bittersweet at the same time... Taste is caramel up front - following through the smell profile in basically the same fashion - vanilla, coffee for a brief moment, then baker's cocoa finish, and finally, dry and delightfully bitter raw cocoa aftertaste. Alcohol seems to not exist in this beer, however I feel a nice warmth inside. Medium body with medium carbonation. Holy cow this beer is really, really good when consumed after some aging; I'm writing this about 9 months after the canned-on date. I tried this beer (I think the exact same case) fresh a while back, about a month after canning, and I would probably have rated it about an 84 out of 100 because it was a bit harsh and abrasive when compared to say, Deschutes Black Butte. Now that the beer has matured, it is my top pick as far as any kind of porter is concerned. It is silky smooth, complex, and a good bargain for such a delicious beer. Highly recommended, and if it's old, it'll probably taste even better.

4.51/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A black, nice brown head leaving some nice lace. S pecans, oatmeal cookies, brown sugar. T lots of great brown sugar oatmeal pie sweet malty cookie goodness. M excellent drinkability, nicely carbonated with silky mouthfeel and brown sugar aftertaste. O this is a stellar knockout of a beer, definitely a winner and one of my favorite beers

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

4.34/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Darkness and a brown head. As usual!

S: Sweet chocolate, malt, caramel, raisin, yeast, and char.

T: Like the nose- the chocolate is extremely prominent. Reminds me of Chokolat by Southern Tier but not quite as sweet. This one has a nice burnt taste to balance the sweetness though, which is nice. I am surprised at how good this is, not in a bad way. Also, some raisin notes and caramel.

M: Medium with some good carb. Creamy.

O: This was actually an awesome beer. I live in Texas and am usually not too blown away by the locals, but I like this one a lot and will definitely get it again.

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

On tap at BRC in Houston, TX.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. A two finger beige head forms with very good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: At first kind of slick and oily., maybe some hops coming through at first. Though that quickly fades to some coffee, toffee, light chocolate. Some hazelnut and vanilla sweetness. Lots of depth in the nose that I love.
T: Follows the nose. Mostly toasted malts, coffee, and toffee sweetness. Some nuttiness like hazelnut. A slight sweetness of vanilla. Bread and biscuit malts. I am loving the depth here.
M/D: A medium to full body. Slick, kind of oily. Medium carbonation that is creamy and smooth at the same time. Very easy to drink. I can put several away without a thought.

Another excellent beer from Deep Ellum. I am not sure how much of a Blatic Porter this is, but considering more than half of the beer drinking world does not know either, I would say this is a hit. Something I really enjoy and would recommend.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%