Farmhouse Wit | Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by champ103 on 05-18-2012

4.17/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very hazy bright golden yellow body is surmounted by a coarse, persistent and quite large white head, with good persistence. The carbonation rises quickly in profuse strings of fat bubbles.

Aroma: On first trying the aroma, my immediate impression is of coriander and barnyard, spicy and earthy. Sour hay is prominent in the aroma, but the coriander is out front as well. Tangy notes of lemon and lime rind present as well. Minor floral hops can be discerned as well.

Taste: Begins with refreshing notes of citrus rind against a backdrop of tangy hay and phenolic alcohol. As the taste progresses, the earthy notes dominate the taste, with favorable results. Midway through the taste, a pepper note appears. The taste draws to a close with a wave of earthy hops.and some lingering, mild sweetness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant, with a bit of elegant champagne-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: I really like this, and wish I had more, it seems like the quintessential summer craft beer. The combination of the Wit and Saison/Farmhouse styles is compelling.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard sixteen-ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

2.94/5  rDev -22.4%

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The CANQuest (TM) is now over 1,000 CANned beer reviews, thanks in part to JenRay, who also sent this one to me in support of the ongoing madness. I am reading Akashic Books' "Lone Star Noir" with "Dallas Noir" on deck, and although beer and noir do NOT mix, I am throwing caution and sanity to the wind and pressing ahead.

From the CAN: "We like Saisons and Witbiers, they're better together."; "Brewed and Bottled [struck out] CANNED by Deep Ellum Brewing Co."

The Crack! unleashed some white foam and so I stepped back to allow things to settle. My initial Glug was out of control and filled the glass with foam so quickly that I could not back off in time. This resulted in some overflow and I would like to caution others that this seems to be a very active beer, requiring some caution when deCANting. The result was stunning, however, resembling a slice of lemon meringue pie, what with three fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with great retention above a murky, lemon-yellow colored beer (SRM = 4 - 5). Noir fiction was less applicable than listening to Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" because this beer was forever! I had to pour just a little at a time, I had to await the head to fall and I just found myself waiting, interminably. Finally, things were to the point that I could lean in for a sniff and I was met with a strong scent of black pepper. Achoo! I took my first sip and the mouthfeel was very effervescent, but slightly thin. It had a slight farmyard funk to it, slightly cheesy with black pepper in the mix. I guess that I should cop to not being a huge fan of either Saisons or Witbiers, but I could live with this. It was not blowing my doors off or my hair back, but neither was it unpleasant. The finish was quite dry, thanks to the spices and yeast, as was to be expected. The pepperiness lingered well after the finish, but I also got a lemon citrusiness, putting me in mind of McCormick's Lemon Pepper seasoning salt. This would be a nice accompaniment to lemon chicken or lemon pepper chicken, both of which are usually on the menu at a Chinese restaurant. This is making me hungry ...

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light tan and clear, white head and sparse lace.

Smell and taste are actually a very even blend of a farmhouse ale with a witbier, leaning ever so slightly over to the farmhouse side. Yeasty flavors, a bit of wheat, some funk and some grassy / hay flavors also find their way in.

Body is pretty light and well carbonated, unsurprisingly about half way between a farmhouse and a wit.

It's an interesting beer, not my favorite ever but still pretty enjoyable.

3.22/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

"Malt beverage brewed with spices. Flavored ale." 1 pint (500ml in this case) aluminum can with orange label and interesting art acquired as a single at Whole Foods HQ and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery. Reviewed as a hybridized saison/witbier because it identifies clearly as such on the label (and it's suggested in the name). No best before date or ABV is listed on the label.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 7 finger wide head of beige colour and smooth complexion. Nice creaminess and thickness. Head retention is quite good - about 10 minutes - but if this is really 4.80% as currently listed, then that isn't all that impressive. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a cloudy pale yellow - precisely what a witbier should be. Lacks the haze and typical copper colour of a saison. Good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Appears well-carbonated.

Overall, it's definitely leaning more towards a witbier in terms of appearance. It's not unique or special, but it looks pretty good and there are no obvious flaws.

Sm: The first thing I notice is the farmhouse yeast, which lends it a nice saison-inspired straw/hay character as well as a subtle funkiness. It works surprisingly well against the backdrop of the witbier-centric pale wheat, pilsner malts, coriander/cilantro, and citrusy fruit peel. I'm getting hints of both orange peel and lemon peel; there's nice subtlety here. I get a hint of white pepper too - that's more a saison note. Some crackery malts. This is a bit out there, but I'd hazard a guess there's just a bit of rice in this? I could well be wrong. Some complementary floral and fruity hops have a minimal but welcome presence.

It's a damn refreshing aroma. Very pleasant, alive, and inviting. Maybe these two styles fit together better than I thought. I'm impressed. Aroma is mild in strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Hm. Very interesting. Has a light subtle funky edge from the farmhouse yeast as well as the abovementioned straw/hay notes. It's also got an almost graham cracker like body with plenty of crackery malts, wheat, pilsner malts, and grains of paradise. Has a bizarre citrusy edge - not just orange/lemon peel, but also a 7-Up like lime note. Fruity and floral hops complement the body nicely and never lend any noticeable bitterness. Zesty. The pale flaked wheat is lovely here; I don't know what they did or which wheat they used, but boy is it a great backbone to an all around refreshing beer. Spicing is noticeable and is primarily coriander/cilantro, with a faint touch of white pepper. Good sweetness/bitterness balance, erring rightfully on the sweet side.

It's a balanced cohesive beer, and seamlessly hybridizes its two styles, though it should be noted that it's definitely more a witibier than a saison. As such, it doesn't have the masterful layered complexity of a saison, but it's fairly complex for a witbier. Has some subtlety. It's a very refreshing pleasant brew. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour - which normally wouldn't be a good thing for a witbier, but is fine here given the extra dimension the saison notes lend the flavour profile. I quite like it for what it is.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Refreshing and soft. Crisp. Smooth and wet. Has a light easy presence on the palate. Good thickness and body. A bit overcarbonated, sure. Suits the flavour profile well. I wouldn't say the texture feels custom-tailored to the taste.

Not oily, harsh, biting, gushed, boozy, astringent, or hot.

Dr: I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this one. A successful hybridization of its two constituent styles, and a very refreshing brew all around. Definitely an above average beer. Far from world class, but pretty tasty. I'd get it again if I was in the mood for the style(s). The artificial lime note is the big thing holding it back; if it was a bit more natural I'd like it a lot more. I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but I'm glad I tried it. Well worth picking up as a single. Quite drinkable. Hides its ABV well.

High C+