Hop Seeker | Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Hop SeekerHop Seeker

Deep Ellum Brewing Company
Texas, United States
deepellumbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

Hop Seeker is a 100% wet hop ale with fresh cut Centennial hops in the initial boil and Equinox in the dry hop. Notice a pronounced aroma profile with citrus, tropical fruit, floral and herbal characteristics.

Added by Mora2000 on 09-12-2012

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

Lots of citrus and fruit on the nose; heavier mouthfeel than I was expecting for a 5.6 ABV beer; also sweeter than I was expecting. Overall, a great pale ale that tastes more like an IPA than a pale ale.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

My sweet fiancé came home with this in a build-your-own 6 pack saying "I remember you liking a recent APA, so I brought home 6!"
Expired yesterday.
Look is a murky orange, like our cat, alright lacing, weak head.
Smell is weak, too clean with a tang as strange as its taste, which leaves a sour/bitter bite in the center - front of your tounge.
Burps reminisce a once tropical beer.
RIP until a fresher try next season.

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

I believe I tried this at least a few months too late, but I can't tell because the canning date is so squished it is impossible to read.

Beer looks alright, golden with a little orange and a little hazy. Smell is very pale and indistinct. Light grass? Taste follows almost the same suit but a little more bright and revelatory in a couple beginning weak flavors, none of which really take off. I unfortunately feel that this "wet-hopped" ale sat on the shelf, eroding the uniqueness as time went on.

I can tell there probably was a danker smell as well was more grassy, more fruity, and more bitter tones (pretty much none left). Make sure to drink this one on time.. getting a strange mostly dry grass finish.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours aneffervescent honey color with 3 fingers of whippy/rocky pearl colored head. Stellar lacing & good head retention

S: Citrus, grassyness, pineyness. Breadyness & mango as this warms

T: Follows the nose, some tangerine & lime. plus mango up front. More lime & tangerine as this warms, some bready sweetness & pine also in the mix. Finsishes with tangerine, bready sweetness, mango & papaya

MF: Very firm body & carbonation, very nice balance

Super drinakbility, not much wrong with this one, well worth a purchase

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Hoppy, Bitter, Fruity, Raw

Light amber with slight haze and thin foamy head this beer has herbal and stone fruit aromas in the nose with a soft suggestion of mint. It’s smooth and creamy with a nice prickly carbonation. Very hoppy with citrus bitterness and nectarine up front, followed by juicy tropical fruits, a touch of pine and a deep orangey flavor and sweetness. Bready and slightly toasty malts act as a foundation and the wet hops used in Hop Seeker bring raw, leafy, grassy, and oily notes that leave an earthy linger. Overall, a flavorful APA with plenty of hop flavor.

As reviewed in BeerAdvocate magazine #118 (November 2016).

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev +8%

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am going to start by saying that I had high hopes for this beer. I was really looking forward to cracking open a can. I will say that I am thoroughly disappointed. I hope this is not what the brewer intended when they canned this beer. First off, I usually pull the cans off the plastic holder and put them in the fridge individually. Just about every can popped up on the lid. I assume this was a carbonation problem because when I poured it, there was around a 10 finger head. All foam, no beer. It took forever to pour. Don't get me wrong, the lacing is excellent, but it is too much. When I finally got to see the actual beer, it was a cloudy light amber color. It does have a nice, piney aroma, but it is not as fresh as I would expect. There seems to be a hint of lemon in there as well. There is a lemon taste with a piney hop, but it doesn't have that hoppy bite I expect from an IPA. It seems flat. Not sure if this is related to the carbonation issue. It is a light bodied beer with high carbonation. There is a mild astringency at the end. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't live up to what a fresh hopped beer, or just an IPA for that matter, should be. I hope I have a can in there that didn't pop up. If not, I would be willing to try this again, but I am very reluctant to spend money on a six pack.
Look 2.75 Smell 3.75 Taste 3.5 Feel 4 Overall 3.5

Addendum
I tried a can that was not distorted, and it was much improved but still not up to what I expected. It still had a large foamy head that took a few pours to get it all into the glass but not as bad as previously stated. The taste was nowhere near as flat. It was perhaps a little over carbonated now. There was a big hoppy bite with a lemon taste, but something was still off. Almost like a lemon-lime soft drink taste to it. Not bad but still not great. Rating has been updated.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.9/5  rDev +34.6%