Hop Seeker | Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Hop SeekerHop Seeker

Deep Ellum Brewing Company
Texas, United States
deepellumbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

Hop Seeker is a 100% wet hop ale with fresh cut Centennial hops in the initial boil and Equinox in the dry hop. Notice a pronounced aroma profile with citrus, tropical fruit, floral and herbal characteristics.

Added by Mora2000 on 09-12-2012

Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 71
4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

Lots of citrus and fruit on the nose; heavier mouthfeel than I was expecting for a 5.6 ABV beer; also sweeter than I was expecting. Overall, a great pale ale that tastes more like an IPA than a pale ale.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

My sweet fiancé came home with this in a build-your-own 6 pack saying "I remember you liking a recent APA, so I brought home 6!"
Expired yesterday.
Look is a murky orange, like our cat, alright lacing, weak head.
Smell is weak, too clean with a tang as strange as its taste, which leaves a sour/bitter bite in the center - front of your tounge.
Burps reminisce a once tropical beer.
RIP until a fresher try next season.

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

I believe I tried this at least a few months too late, but I can't tell because the canning date is so squished it is impossible to read.

Beer looks alright, golden with a little orange and a little hazy. Smell is very pale and indistinct. Light grass? Taste follows almost the same suit but a little more bright and revelatory in a couple beginning weak flavors, none of which really take off. I unfortunately feel that this "wet-hopped" ale sat on the shelf, eroding the uniqueness as time went on.

I can tell there probably was a danker smell as well was more grassy, more fruity, and more bitter tones (pretty much none left). Make sure to drink this one on time.. getting a strange mostly dry grass finish.

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours aneffervescent honey color with 3 fingers of whippy/rocky pearl colored head. Stellar lacing & good head retention

S: Citrus, grassyness, pineyness. Breadyness & mango as this warms

T: Follows the nose, some tangerine & lime. plus mango up front. More lime & tangerine as this warms, some bready sweetness & pine also in the mix. Finsishes with tangerine, bready sweetness, mango & papaya

MF: Very firm body & carbonation, very nice balance

Super drinakbility, not much wrong with this one, well worth a purchase

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Hoppy, Bitter, Fruity, Raw

Light amber with slight haze and thin foamy head this beer has herbal and stone fruit aromas in the nose with a soft suggestion of mint. It’s smooth and creamy with a nice prickly carbonation. Very hoppy with citrus bitterness and nectarine up front, followed by juicy tropical fruits, a touch of pine and a deep orangey flavor and sweetness. Bready and slightly toasty malts act as a foundation and the wet hops used in Hop Seeker bring raw, leafy, grassy, and oily notes that leave an earthy linger. Overall, a flavorful APA with plenty of hop flavor.

As reviewed in BeerAdvocate magazine #118 (November 2016).

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am going to start by saying that I had high hopes for this beer. I was really looking forward to cracking open a can. I will say that I am thoroughly disappointed. I hope this is not what the brewer intended when they canned this beer. First off, I usually pull the cans off the plastic holder and put them in the fridge individually. Just about every can popped up on the lid. I assume this was a carbonation problem because when I poured it, there was around a 10 finger head. All foam, no beer. It took forever to pour. Don't get me wrong, the lacing is excellent, but it is too much. When I finally got to see the actual beer, it was a cloudy light amber color. It does have a nice, piney aroma, but it is not as fresh as I would expect. There seems to be a hint of lemon in there as well. There is a lemon taste with a piney hop, but it doesn't have that hoppy bite I expect from an IPA. It seems flat. Not sure if this is related to the carbonation issue. It is a light bodied beer with high carbonation. There is a mild astringency at the end. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't live up to what a fresh hopped beer, or just an IPA for that matter, should be. I hope I have a can in there that didn't pop up. If not, I would be willing to try this again, but I am very reluctant to spend money on a six pack.
Look 2.75 Smell 3.75 Taste 3.5 Feel 4 Overall 3.5

Addendum
I tried a can that was not distorted, and it was much improved but still not up to what I expected. It still had a large foamy head that took a few pours to get it all into the glass but not as bad as previously stated. The taste was nowhere near as flat. It was perhaps a little over carbonated now. There was a big hoppy bite with a lemon taste, but something was still off. Almost like a lemon-lime soft drink taste to it. Not bad but still not great. Rating has been updated.

My 6-pack of cans were all gushers with way too much head and an odd flavor from the yeast that I tasted mostly in the burps. Good, balanced hop flavor, but my 6-pack was off. I may get it again from a different store, if I see it, and hope for the best.

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served from a can, about 1 month old

A - Poured slightly dark for an ipa. A little more head than I would have expected, but not too much.

S - A lot of citrus, grapefruit, orange, faint pine, caramel, malts.

T - Slightly malty, super intense citrus . Pretty balanced cold, you get more citrus and sweetness as it warms..

M - Good carbonation, about average heaviness for an IPA.

O - Really enjoyed the intensity of this beer, that being said it could be less sweet.

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%

Received as an extra in a trade. Canned in October.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a clear honey amber hue. That being said, the foam quickly billowed up from the can and poured 4+ fingers worth of head. I've never, never seen a can do this. An infected stout, an over carbonated wild, sure...but a canned pale. Nope.

S - Aromas of caramel, sweet malts, light tangerine, maybe faint stone fruit, little bit of mustiness.

T - Taste is much more maltier than the nose. Loads of caramel and malts, the citrus is very faded. Generic hop profile, light musty finish. Not much bitterness either.

M - Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, bit on the thin side.

O - Overall, never seen a can foam like that before. Definitely was a bad omen. The smell pretty nice, but, that's about it. Not sure what to make of this one.

Serving Type: Can

Pours a golden color with off-white head. Floral notes, skunked grass, and old wood notes on the nose; not much on the palate, very bland. Medium bodied. Not a very well done beer. Overall, tastes as if someone cut my lawn and put the shavings into a beer.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at The Bottle Shop in Dallas. Pours dark with a head that recedes quickly. The taste is interesting because the hop bitterness hits at the end. The taste is mainly in the throat for me, which is different. There is also a hint of sour. The flavor lingers after swallowing. An interesting showing from Deep Ellum that I'll probably revisit at some point.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Arrives with a mahogany color and a nice cap that leaves a sheet of lace

Smell: Caramel, stone fruit and earthy/piney hops

Taste: Caramel and stone fruit forward, with a growing bitter herbal/piney hop presence; rather bitter, after the swallow, though the herbal and fruity tones add a different dimension; still, a rather bitter finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation and hint of warmth

Overall: Bitter, stromg ales seem to be the short-term focus of several Dallas brewers right now, but I cannot say I have found one that I am wild about - just not excited by the herbal/fruity/bitter combination of flavors

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Down House in Houston, TX. Like Wealth & Taste, there is some barrel aging and Muscat grapes added.

A: Pours a dark, murky reddish/brown color. A one finger white head forms with some lace.
S: A mix of hops, caramel malt, toasted grains, and maybe some wood aromas. Lingering sweetness.
T: Follows the nose with some hops that are up front and a bit abrasive at first. That fades to caramel malt, toasted bread, and light wood.
M/D: A medium to full body. Crisp carbonation, but smooth at the same time. Easy enough to sip on, and something I would come back to. Though one is enough in one sitting.

This is nice, think Avery's Hogheaven. Though toned down a bit with the hops. I don't get much barrel or grapes for that matter. Overall, nice but Wealth & Taste is far superior.

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance was ruddy brown. Didn't sport much head on my glass but think this was the fault of the barkeep.

Smell was orangy-sweet. Expected a hops note based upon the name but didn't really detect any.

Taste was lacking hops in any significant amount too and I would never be one labeled as a hop head. What did come through was a semisweet, semi-malty, orangy, piney, medicinal flavor. I don't want to leave the impression that it was distasteful but that it just didn't know what it wanted to be when it grows up.

Mouthfeel was thick similar to a double bock. Carbonation low to medium.

Overall, I'll pass on the next one but would still like to try other offerings from the brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at The Common Table during the launch party.

The beer pours a reddish-brown color with an off-white head. The aroma is full of toffee and alcohol, with a hint of grassy hops. The flavor is more of the same. I get some nice toffee and caramel notes, as well as some butter, orange and grass. Overall, the fresh hops are not as prevalent as I hoped they would be. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Hop Seeker from Deep Ellum Brewing Company