Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

good
Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale AleHop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by JTomczak on 10-20-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 128
3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: clear dark golden brown, minimal head and lacing
S: little woody, but more like wet leaves, reminding me of a damp fall walk I the woods. Nothing overpowering though, to me.
T/M: it's a little strange, with some tastes similar to the nose. Starts off earthy, damp, woody. A dry bitterness creeps in that doesn't change the profile until the ending of the taste where a pine taste grabs the mouth and holds for a little bit.
O: early in the beer I got some orange notes playing in with the taste, but got it less as the taste went on. I liked this because of the strangeness, but there isn't really much impressive about it.

3.19/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

On draught at Bailey's Taproom (no dirty lines here!;), Cedar Blank Pale Ale isdull, dark gold with a small white head leaving clingy lace.

Smell is citrus hops, orange marmalade with the light malty sweetness.

Taste is at first pretty much classic green flash hop bomb. In fact, the small taster I had before ordering a pint didn't hint of the cedar at all. But after having a bit more, the cedar seems to have lent a pronounced woodsy, almost sawdust note (suggested by the drying tannins as much as anything). I was expecting more cigar box, cedar aroma like taste, but this is just woody, but markedly so. Not sure I love the effect to be honest.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Sawdust.

Drinkability isn't too high for me. The first taste was great, classic Green Flash IPA; then the cedar took over and my pallet quickly fatigued.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Green flash cedar plank pale ale

Had on-tap at Avenue Pub New Orleans. Served in a cask glass.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 3/4 inch head that retains well before slowly retreating to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a sheer sheet of surface foam. Very resilient lacing adheres to the side of the glass.

S- Has a very stinky smell to it almost like marshland or something. No, you know what it is? It's that smell you encounter when you drive by a waste processing plant. Never smelled this in a beer before. There's a hint of cedar in the end but doesn't make up for the nastiness before it. Hope the beer doesn't taste that way.

T- Much better in the flavor. Moderately bold cedar is welcome on the palate as the hops create a mild bitterness. Still, the strange and unpleasant aroma greets my nose with every sip and kinda ruins it for me.

M- The feel is zesty and bright with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- So, needless to say, I don't like my beer to smell like a waste processing plant. I have no idea if that smell is intentional or if I'm dealing with dirty draft lines or what. Either way, this was a great disappointment. Seriously, I've smelled some crazy aromas in gueuzes and other wild ales before but this was seriously foul.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.