West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 7,784
2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic puts up a one finger head light tan head that falls slowly, leaving a bit of foam around the glass. Below, the beer has a nice transparent copper hue with a somewhat yellow tint.

The nose yields hefty piney hop aromas, with some nice malty sweetness too. Some citrus as well.

This is quite forward in the hops department, and the particular types they've used for this aren't my favorite. Overly piney. Pretty tough, really. Hardly any malt presence, just a mess of hop-overload.

This does, though, have excellent fine carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this one...I've got the rest of a six-pack to dispose of somehow!

A picture of my own: http:[email protected]/3206595559/

2.83/5  rDev -32.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. It ought to be said that IPAs are usually me least favourite style. I'm hoping this is an exception.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice soft cream lacing, good thickness, and very good retention (especially for the 7.3% ABV). Dark caramel-copper colour.

Sm: Citra hops - and that's it. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Very hoppy without being overly bitter. Some caramelized malt intrudes, a feature I don't find welcome. Foundation is bland barley. Build is simple and largely imbalanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also artificial. It's very strange and doesn't at all suit the taste. Bleh!

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV, but comprised of low quality flavours that turn me away. I won't be having this again.

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%

Picked up a 4-pack and tried it out 5 months before the freshness date of Nov-25-15.
Beautiful golden color with some nice lacing.
Smells a bit of pines and hops, but i got nothing else.
Maybe it's a bad batch but the beer is pretty flat. The bitterness seems to overpower everything because I can't taste the hops and pines from the previous version of this brew. I've heard of the cat-pee phenomenon before but this is the first time I've experienced it. Just a very off-putting taste. Might have to try this again at Green Flash next time in SD, but overall a disappointment.

2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

12oz into 22oz pint glass, no freshness date.

A- pale pale body and a big white head that takes a while to settle. A nice lace ring and some streaks down the glass.

S- Pretty inviting sweet flowers and fruit, and a bit of fusel alcohol.

T-Grapefruit and dish soap. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind, the soapiness is not welcome. I've come across this a few times before, not sure if it's a combination of pale malt and a certain hop variety or what. Not my cup o' tea. Not a whole lot of depth to this one either.

M- Very bitter and a bit astringent. Not really winning any points here. Not bad, but I'm not impressed.

O- Aggressively bitter but ultimately lacking the focus I expect from a west coast IPA. Something I doubt I'll revisit in this cutthroat IPA market. Much better coming out of California.

2.91/5  rDev -30.5%

Murky orange color with a cream colored head. Smelled to me sort of like paste, (of course it is allergy season so my sniffer might be off...) and a richness. Good hoppiness jumped right out at me, but has a nice bitter flavor. Thin body that washes down easily leaving a strong aftertaste of hops and almost a latent smokiness, like with scotch. A bit too much for all day, but an enjoyable flavor explosion to relax with.

2.92/5  rDev -30.3%

NOTE: I BELIEVE I HAD A BAD POUR BASED ON OTHER REVIEWS. Read the following to hear why.

I don't understand how this beer got anything more than average if it is supposed to taste like the beer I was given last night. I feel like I've had this beer before, and really enjoyed it, which is why I ordered it last night, but something must have happened to the keg or my glass at the restaurant I was at.

A: It came in a short fluted snifter, sorta like a belgian ale glass and the appearance was a cloudy amber, a nice rich color for an IPA. Average off-white head.

S: This is where the biggest issue was: It smelled like caramelized onions. Other scents barely noticeable. It was like someone had rimmed the glass with sweet cooked onions. Sort of buttery too, which is weird. Not much of that fresh hoppy aroma that I was expecting.

T: Nice and hoppy, crisp citrus, but with a good balance of the sweet malts to balance the beer out, but, as a large part of flavor is smell, i couldn't help but feel like I was also eating buttered onion crackers. It was pretty awful. The smell really ruined the beer.

M: A nice combination of a heavy mouth feel, but with the crispness of an IPA. Went down smooth.

O: The smell really ruined this one. I hope it was just a bad glass and not the beer because I remember liking this one. Maybe I'll complain to the restaurant that either someone with onions on their hands handled my beer, or the dishwasher isn't working as well as it should (it's a new restaurant so who knows). Very very strange...

2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Has a nice smokey smell to it, which does not translate into taste as the IBUs are out of this world. This beer pretty much ruins your tastebuds for any additional tastings.

Overall it's not a bad beer for a bitter but I wouldn't consider it a good IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

I don't know if this is unfiltered or not but this is definitely a hazy orange color with some sediment floating around in this one. Their is a slight white head with some lacing left on the glass.

Their is a lot of pine aroma and with a faint malt aroma buried in between the hops.

This one is dominated by the piney hops that at some points tend to get quite grassy. The hops are traditional to the west coast style of a slick feel that coats the tongue with an oily feeling and leaves quite a bitter aftertaste. I like my IPA's to have more of a fruity taste which is missing in this one. Probably will pass on this one next time.

2.97/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer was very light, nothing about this beer stood out. A very simple IPA, I would not recommend this beer. When I saw the beer color I was excited with anticipation, but after I tasted the beer I understood why it was so cheap. The glass is pretty cool though.

2.98/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice.

A: Pleasant, frothy head tops an amber-clear beer. Great lacing.

S: West coast hops...surprise, surprise. I suspect the C's...Definitely Cascade/Centennial. Pine, a touch of fruit, and a bit of garlic.

T: Disappointing, dull, and not nearly as good as I remember it. Vegetal hops are reminiscent of boiled cabbage. A pine bite on the endtaste can't make up for the muddled and poor maintaste. Dry finish.

M: Lightly carbonated. The sense of flatness comes from the boring flavor, rather than the actual mouthfeel.

O: I can't recommend this particular iteration of what I'm sure is a very fine IPA. Alas.

Overall: This was tasted as part of a meal. Interestingly, took a small sneak-sip beforehand and
was intrigued; (Sensed some malty backbone and sweetness along with the
massive hop rush.) Was really looking forward to exploring this further, however,
once the meal began in earnest (sausages/fries/slaw) the beer really didn't fair very well.
The malt seemingly disappeared and what was left came off unbalanced and harsh.
Not sure if others have experienced this, but it isn't the first time I've had meals/food
play games with new tastings or even known beers. (Ketchup is seemingly a culprit for me.)
Will revisit.

As a lover of both San Diego and the Green Flash Brewery the current quality of this previously excellent double IPA is a huge disappointment. I cannot put my finger on it. Perhaps I enjoy their Hop Head Red and Le Freak so much that the West Coast IPA no longer measures up. The malty taste of alcohol is too strong, yet the red copper color is still inviting. I avoid it in the store and grab it on tap only when other fine IPAs are not available. The aroma and taste are no longer as clean as it once was. Still a good beer, but no longer a stand out.

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber with a thin head and lacing to the end. The aroma is fruity, with hints of pine and sweet malt. The flavor is citrus fruit, mainly grapefruit with pine, grass, and toffee notes. The mouthfeel is meedium and slightly dry. Green Flash West Coast IPA is a good beer, a good match for chicken burritos. Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From cask ...

The beer poured an orange light brown color with a lacey head that retained well beyond the initial pour. There was a slight cloudiness to the beer, but quite minimal and transparent overall.

The smell was exceptional ... what you'd expect from an IPA. Very fresh on the nose with a grassy pine aroma that you'd expect from a walk in the forest.

The citrus notes came in very strong all the way through from sip to swallow. Grapefruit is the overwhelming flavor, one that I'm not particularly fond of.

This flavor left you with an extremely dry feel in the mouth in terms of the overall finish. I couldn't help but feel parched on the tongue.

The tastes I was not fond of mellowed out after by about the second or third pint; however, the first pint was not easy to drink.

On Night #2 of trying this, I was not able to get past the first pint at all; hence my low score in drinkability.

I'm quite a Hop Head --- but I'm not a fan of grapefruit so it makes it quite difficult for me to appreciate this particular beer despite my love for IPAs.

I'd probably overlook this beer in the future, but would be very interested in trying other beers from this brewery.

The West Coast IPA is a pretty standard West Coast IPA. Hops are blended nicely without too much harsh astringency, but in the end, it's the same grapefruit and resin aromas we all know by heart.

Malt is 2-row and caramel.

Medium body

~ 2.5 V carbonation

A great beer, and I've heard it won some awards, but you could probably make something similar at home with your eyes closed.

3.03/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance: apricot/amber..clear, medium head

Smell: grapefruit and pine

Taste: grapefruit, pine, with a honey finish

Mouthfeel: smooth and bitter

Drinkability: To me this is a strong hop bomb. If you love hops, you will love this beer. I find this one very one dimensional and will be passing for more interesting IPAs.

3.04/5  rDev -27.4%

14 Feb 08

Had a draft at the Toronado, San Fransisco.

A: Gold with lost of rising bubbles, thin white head.

S: Full-o-citrus, low malt & esters.

T: Med malt with huge hop flavor. All US citrus and more citrus, becoming too much. . . is that Simcoe I taste? Way out of balance. A hop hammer which can be good, but usually not great.

M: Medium body with high CO2 and prickly pallet.

D: Medium to low due to lack of balance. I wonder how the hop shortage will change this beer?

3.04/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Poured a goldenish deep orange color with almost no head to it.

S: Pine and citrus notes

T: Caramel malt, pine, citrus and Dawn dish detergent. Grassy

M: Heavy for a single West Coast IPA and soapy, bittering on end with pronounced booze

O: Average is generous

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours with a white creamy head doesn't last a long time. Light coppery color sightly cloudy apperance. Sweet malty aroma slight hint of pine. Nice malty taste piney slight citrus hop taste. Good balance not as hoppy as I would like it to be.Medium bodied good clean taste.not a great beer but not a bad one either. I could drink another.

3.06/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Smooth on the palate, with tastes of citrus and pine but with an overwhelming bitter aftertaste. Bitterness hides the other nuanced flavors. Tastes like an ipa, rather than a double.

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

Amber orange color, with a lot of floating corpuscles.
Egg shell colored foam, creamy, right.
Piney, resiny at the smell, with citrus fruit notes.
In the taste again piney and resiny, even more intense. Malt and caramel support all.
A good long bitterness in the aftertaste, with sharp grassynotes, root, rhubarb.
Maybe in the long run it will be a bit boring, but it is clean and balanced.

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%

355 ml bottle, into tulip. Pours cloudy (indicating dry-hopping) orangeish body with thick, stable off-white head that sticks to the walls. Aroma is clean malty sweetness with spicy, earthy, floral, citrusy hops and fruitiness that might be ester or hop-derived. The flavor is spicy, earthy and grapefruity hops with some pungency, supported by solid backbone of clean malty sweetness. Dry finish with resinous bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste with a presence of oaken flavor which is inappropriate. Medium-light bodied with moderate yet still soft carbonation. The West Coast IPA, well, the brewer might not be a Master of his profession but he certainly knows the Geography well.

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%

A_Medium cloudy amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice sized bubbles dot the crown

S_mild aroma. Mid level pine notes

T_mostly pine soaked hops. Not too strong though. As a whole it is mostly dry and bitter. Faint biscuity malt comes out a bit. Some spice on the finish. There is a slight acidity which detracts a bit

M_Med body and carbonation

D_A middle of the road IPA. Nothing offensive here but nothing that really stands out and grabs you.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A: Pours a hazy reddish orange color. Normal pour leads to a 1 finger light tan head that disappears to a small ring in a few moments. Lacing is thick and plentiful.

S: Definitely pulling some hops but the malt is shining through this one more than anything. This probably means its past its prime but who knows seeing as there is no freshness date.

T: Follows the nose although the malt base is really wonderful it's really the foremost flavor in this beer. Normally that wouldn't be bad but this beer is called "West Coast IPA" and I'm sure while fresh it's hop forward but this one, not so much.

M: Nice feel, creamy, bitter finish. Bitterness is actually pretty prevalent.

O: Well, I'm kinda pissed that I dropped $11 on a 4-pack. I've been waiting and waiting to try this beer because it gets good reviews. Well, Green Flash. You burned me. I won't be going back to this IPA until you start putting freshness dates on the bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

wow, this thing has a huge head for an IPA. Thick and foamy 2 finger job, and sticks around. Color is they typical IPA, cloudy brown-orange.

Holy crap, is there a bottle of perfume in this thing?!?!? this baby has some kind of floral presence... behind that i get hops and maybe some brown sugar.

This baby is hoppy alright, but it's a real floral hop, not really feeling it. My mouth feels like I just took a sip of perfume. the beer seems to be constructed well, just not my style of hop i guess.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.