West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 7,888 |  Reviews: 1,886

2.31/5  rDev -44.9%

Trying to catch up on my notes from the past 6 weeks or so... Reviewed from notes.
Poured from bottle into a Tulip pint.

No bottling date.

In pouring, I see some yeast/sediments which leads me to believe that this beer might not be newest batch... Unfortunately, I searched all over the bottle for a date and was unsuccessful. Maybe it is on there... maybe not. Either way, this review will stand until I have a bottle that causes me to edit and change this.

Looked a nice orangey golden copper and a 2.5 creamy head that cascading into a frothy cap. Solid retention and rings of lace. Don't like the yeast... but otherwise, not bad looking.

Smell is malty. So is taste. Very little hop presence. This again makes me think this isn't the freshest example... but, until bottle dates are put on (or made obviously readable) this review will stand.
Beer is sweet. Malts. The malts seem like stale bread-- like croutons. A slight citrusy and floral note is much weaker than the malts.

Medium body with decent carbonation. Feels slick and oily-- I'd prefer bright and prickly.

Overall-- not really impressed. I'm pouring the rest of this out. I won't buy it again unless I KNOW it is fresh.

2.34/5  rDev -44.2%

2.39/5  rDev -43%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Intense pine, grapefruit.

Taste: Crushing grassy bitterness. Like chewing on grass or eating unroasted coffee. Astringent grape skins. Slightly herbal. Very dry and bitter finish.

Notes: Did not enjoy even though I often like very hoppy beers. This was just too one-dimensional and astringent.

2.4/5  rDev -42.7%

2.4/5  rDev -42.7%

2.46/5  rDev -41.3%

I had this in bottle 2 years ago and it tasted much more balanced than just having it currently on tap.
Tastes extremely bitter, reminded me of chinook on steroids. But looking at their site chinook aren't used. Simcoe, columbus, cent and cascade. Whatever the hop schedule was, I don't care for it. Must be a hell of a lot of columbus and cascade. Grapefruit city. Normally bitter beers I can deal with but not enough sweet malt to counter balance for me. Just seemed one dimensional.
One and done for taste buds. Sorry.

2.48/5  rDev -40.8%

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.