West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,878 | Ratings: 7,847
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very piney IPA here. Obvious with the West Coast style this beer provides a sort of building block stigma of what a new west coast ipa on the market should taste like. Not my favorite IPA though mind you. Just a good representation of the theoretical "West Coast" style.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Medium orange with a thick, two-finger light tan head that leaves a ton of lacing on the glass. Lots of floaties in the glass, as it has been with just about every single bottle from the case. It's really fantastic looking, as I love good lacing, but the floaties knock off a point considering that I don't think they're really supposed to be there.

S - Tons of spicy hops really dominate. Citrus-y hops are abundant as well. The citrus notes give a bit of an impression that it might have a sweeter taste, but you can see otherwise below. To top it off, there's a hint of paler malt in the background, but the hops are the main players here.

T - This is where it's at. This is one of the few IPAs that has really just blown me away. Such an awesome hop presence. There are citrus-y grapefruit notes that fade to floral and pine, then finish with a mouth-drying bitterness that lasts. Some pale malts are noticeable in the finish as well, and it's a nice way to round things out just a touch before the next sip. This has to be one of, if not the only times I've given out a 5 for taste. It's just a complex, fantastic-tasting hop experience.

MF - Slick and oily are the words here. The carbonation really helps give it a thirst-quenching feel and keeps things in check. It finishes really dry with me continually reaching back for another sip.

D - Pretty incredible. This goes down quicker than almost any other IPA I've had, and the 7.3% ABV isn't noticeable in the taste at all. I find myself sometimes really savoring a bottle, while other times I'm hard-pressed to make it last any reasonable amount of time.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

The first time I tried this beer I must have gotten a bad bottle, because now that I've tried it again I wanted to overhaul the original review I wrote.

It pours a darker copper color with one finger of slightly off white head that dissipates to a thinner layer.

Smells of very piney and earthy hops. Slight nuances of grapefruit. No noticeable malt smell up front.

Taste is similar. Strong piney and floral hops up front. A little bit of malt in the undertone that I couldn't detect in the smell. Bitter.

Medium bodied, a little bit carbonated, slightly dry.

Is very drinkable and trying it a second time I liked it a lot better.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

A: deep amber with meringue head with very nominal lacing

S: generous hop notes with pine character and very faint floral notes, noticeable alcohol

T: nice clean hop bite on front with noticeable red grapefruit that lingers on the palate, very faint fig and spice on the back of the palate

M: pretty standard "west coast" IPA

D: great IPA in SD vein, nothing mind-blowing but great kick-back brew

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on July 9th. Consumed on Sept 2nd. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an IPA glass.

A - Burnt orange in color with no cloudiness. Poured very little head. Distinct lines of carbonation. Very faint irregular lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Hints of lemon, pine, grapefruit. Can almost smell the hoppy bitterness.

T - Intense flavor. Lemon and tropical fruit followed by a bitter grapefruit rind. Completely hides ABV. No malt notes.

M - Dry with a high level carbonation. Complements taste of beer very well.

O - Wow. Highly recommended. Refreshing hoppy citrus mouth orgy.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had as a 10oz draft in AZ. Very nice hoppy flavor, with a slight bitter taste @ the end. Will scoop up a six pack in the future now knowing local liquor stores have this IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Draft beer in a pint glass. Pours a orange yellow with a 2 inch white head. Aroma is all tropical and citrus. Pine and caramel as well. Taste is very piney. Grapefruit and caramel are really present. Thin to medium Mouthfeel. Very well balanced and super quenching.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

from the new four pack delivery. have had this many times on tap, first time in a bottle. smell of hops from the get go and then some. two finger very white head. smell is citrus and pine. initial taste is very bitter, but pleasing nonetheless. balanced, but the harshness of the hops show up. very enjoyable, but noticeably better on tap. at over 7%, getting into double ipa territory, but the alcohol is not overbearing. always enjoy this beer and grateful it can be found in upstate ny.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

A - nice cloudy orange appearance with a delicious looking head. Some lacing remains on the glass as I go to town on this bad boy.

S - Wow, a hop lover's (me) dream! Amazing citrus, grapefruit, piny aroma. I could breath this thing in often.

T - This one is way on the bitter hoppy side, doesn't quite live up to it's aroma but still very good.

M - Nicely carbonated and medium bodied. A bit of an oily mouthfeel

D - This one is bitter but not a tough one to drink for a hop lover.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

This is a really nice IPA. The bitterness reaches a high peak but mellows out to reveal a nice oakiness. Tastes great cold and is quite easy to drink. Goes well with some spicy Mexican food. Not my favorite IPA, but a very nice beer that has some unique characteristics.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

L: Copper with a small white head
S: Citrus pine and co2
T: Grapefruit orange peel and lemon peel and pine very dry
F: Tannins and medium carbonation
O: Better out of the bottle feel like this is a sub par experiences because I know this is a great beer...

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to Azurescens for this one.

A:A hazy gold color with a half finger of head and nice lacing already beginning to develop on the glass.
N:The hops are there, but the nose is surprisingly absent.
T: Maybe it's the age or the fact that I had pliny the previous night, but I do NOT get a typical hop overload on this beer. The finish brings out some bitterness, but very little of the citrus and grapefruit flavors that I enjoy in an IPA. As it is warming, I am beginning to appreciate the hops a bit more.
M: A nice mouthfeel, but I would prefer a bit more crispness.
O: A decent enough beer. I would like to try it a little fresher, but I wouldn't turn it down in the future.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Bottle. Pours a almost clear orange color with a white fluffy head and sticky lacing.

The nose has an intense dank and citrus/orange notes too it.

The bitterness is balanced and lingering with strong notes of citrus/grapefruit and pine.

Really well made and drinkable beer.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

L: Pure gold - hints of red in a fairly hazy body. Fluffy head with good retention.

S: The floral smell hits you right away. Second take is more earthy with a musty finish.

T: This is a pure hop bomb with a very dry finish. Not much balance here, though I do detect just a hint of malts in the aftertaste. The hop flavor is a slight grapefruit citrus, with a little floral flavor filling it out.

M: Well carbonated and true to the style on the mouth.

D: I personally do not desire much more of this one. I consider myself as much a hophead as your average BA, but this beer just seems one-dimensional to me. This is a good example of a hoppy American IPA, and the alcohol is very well hidden, but is not a favorite for me.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amber with a dense, 1" head that slowly dissipated. Citrus and pine aromas. It has a heavy, creamy mouthfeel that reveals a combination of citrus and mouth-drying hops. It strikes a nearly perfect balance between the over-the-top hop experience that these beers are supposed to provide with subtle layers of flavor, good body and drinkability that could get you into trouble at 7.3% abv. I experiment with just about any "West Coast" style IPA that can be found on the shelf (regardless of provenance), and this is consistently one of my favorites of this type.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash West Coast IPA is the brew that turned me onto IPA's.
It pours into a glass a deep copper, and it's head foams nicely.
This IPA has a crisp and clean smell with hints of pine.
The taste is strong, and refreshing. The ABV is on point!
Overall, this is one of the best American IPA's brewed in the west Coast.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a jagged 1 1/2 finger head, into S.A. perfect pint glass. beautiful golden amber color.

S- smells like citrus hops, very much like grapefruit. just a hint of malt.

T- To no surprise, it tastes like citrus hops and grapefruit. has a nice malty background to balance it out. aftertaste of, yup, grapefruit.

M- smooth, kind of sticky. great carbonation level.

D- amn this stuff is good!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle.

This has been a staple in the fridge for the past 5 years. This is one of my favorite IPAs. It is good in the bottle and great on draft. Solid appearance, awesome piny smell and taste and great light to medium mouthfeel. I am a big fan of this beer and used to get it quite a bit more when it was in the six pack format, but like to grab it once in a while when I want a good example of a big hop forward IPA.

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewing this beer after having had it a number of times before.

The beer pours a hazy, caramel brown with a pure white head that serves as a nice contrast. It appears to be unfiltered as there is evidence of sediment. It is a beautiful looking beer.

Obviously, the hops dominate the nose. Smells of pine and resin, some floral notes. I don't notice the citrus smells that I do with other IPAs. There is a slight Earl Grey scent as well, much more subtle here, but one I tend to notice in a lot of red ales.

This beer is complex. The upfront taste is strong, a hop bomb. After a second or two, the malts serve as balance. There is a lingering bitterness, but a pleasant one. I am having trouble describing the taste, but I can say with assurance that I like it.

The West Coast IPA is full bodied and packed with flavor. The mouthfeel is slightly viscous, but not overly so. I tend not to like the syrupy IPAs or the IPAs that aren't full bodied. This one leans toward the syrupy, but stops short. It has a mealy quality to it that I find appealing.

For IPA lovers, the drinkability is solid. The bitterness is nuanced and complex. Those without a preference for the style might find it tough to manage more than one, or be turned off by the strong flavors. I very much enjoy the style but would have difficulty having more than a couple.

The West Coast IPA is such solid brew. The price to value is even stronger, as it doesn't break the bank to have a sixpack in the fridge. As far as IPAs go (I am a big fan, but admittedly, no expert), this is in the upper echelon.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

A - a large cream-colored head with large bubbles, not creamy-looking, but read on...

S - malty but just a hint of sweet and spicey

T - malt balanced with bitterness and citrus

M - mouthfeel is truly excellent and very creamy; not sure I've had many like this one.

Overall, ranks way up there with some of the small batch stuff.
Nothing unusual but maybe near the top of west coast IPAs?

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Smell - very piney, nice nose
taste - Piney, grapefruit, some grass
Mouth feel - dry hops tingle on your tongue and gums stays and stays buy does not wear out it's welcome
sessionable if spaced out.

To me there is a very small malt hint, this brew could stand a very small addition of malt to balance the super aggressive hops, or maybe this is the combo they were looking for with this offering. Regardless the insane hops are very much appreciated and well thought out. You can tell that this beer was engineered to appeal to real hop heads and was not just thrown together with random hops just to push IBU's.
Green Flash does not mess around.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Currently IPAs are my general favourite style of beer, so I made sure to check this out at a local taphouse in Richmond, BC.

With 95 IBUs, this beer really blew me away. I have had it once before, but I forgot how potent it was; that said, I enjoy a solid but slow-drinking beer, and this fit the bill nicely for me. The initial punch it packs, as I said, is quite strong - stronger than most IPAs I have - but I still really enjoyed it, all the subtle flavours. I would definitely have it again. Gotta love all the hoppy things that come from the West Coast; it's a good thing I'm such an IPA fan.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Green Flash West Coast IPA ABV 7% . Label is a lime green and blue color . Picture of a green sun setting on the horizon I would take of the Pacific Ocean ( seeing that this is a West Coast IPA )
. Poured into my Brooklyn Brewery pilsner mug a 2 finger egg white head rises . Orange amber copper color . Lots of chunks and bubbles , which seem to be rising from the chunks of sediment at the bottom of the glass . After a few sips the lacing on the glass is as nice as the flavor of this brew . Crisp and " citrusy " . I thought the Smuttynose " Finest Kind " IPA was "dirty " but this has tons of chunks at the bottom of the glass . Pine and hops is what fills your mouth . This in not a hop bomb and at 7% its drinkability is good . Green Flash is worth your hard earned cash .

Go Red Sox ( Manny ejected in the 2nd )

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A cloudy orange, slightly copper color with a tinge of yellow at the bottom. A very thin, clumpy head appear with nice laceing on the sides.

S: Hops.. who knew? Strong pine, grapefruit and orange are found. Sniffin around for some malt and juuuussst get a little hint of some breadiness… I hope… Nevertheless, I think it smells awesome.

T: Rush of hops. Pine and grapefruit dominate this one. Damn.. They’re strong. If the alcohol showed up a little bit more, I’d consider this a DIPA. Malts are uhh… Well, they like to hide. Of course, it has a bitterness at the end that is pretty strong, but nothing way over the top. Lack of balance, however, bring this score down a smudge.

M: Awesome. Medium/full body with a medium level of carbonation that is pretty oily and sticky.

D: While the hops are good, I do believe it lacks some balance. I like my IPA’s to have at least SOME malts to speak of. With an intense hop flavor and lack of malty balance, the drinkability for this beer goes down.

Update: Tried this again some four years later. Not sure if my bottle is old or what, but I get much more malt and much less hop. The smell is still delicious, but the taste is lacking in balance still with the malts not clashing well with the hops.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a hazy orange, 1 finger off white head, decent retention, a bit of lacing

Aromas include orange, grapefruit, lime, pine, earthy hops, ethanol

Taste follows the smell exactly plus some bready malts. Bitter and dry finish

Mouthfeel is medium . Seems to be a pretty hefty IPA. Light carbonation

A bit too astringent for me. There are 95 IBUs in this beer and you can taste them. The alcohol also becomes a lot more noticeable once the beers warms up which hinders the drinkability for me.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.