West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 7,894 |  Reviews: 1,888

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - A beautiful copper color...a nice white head that sticks around...leaves nice lacing the entire way

S - Wonderful aroma of hops...some pine and citrus notes mixed in

T - Hops in the front...middle...and end...a little heavy on the bitterness

M - Medium body...actually kind of creamy

D - I'm an IPA fan...and this is a great beer...everyone should try this style at some point!

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Pours a hazy dark orange bordering on copper with an inch of slightly off white head that slowly falls away leaving a decent amount of lace.
S - Did someone say West Coast? Pungent, piney, grapefruit pith, citrusy hop goodness. Light, clean caramel & toasty maltiness balances it.
T - OMFG. This is what I love about a good American IPA. Much like the smell; piney, grapefruit like citrus hop flavour balanced (slightly) by clean light caramel, toasted bread malt flavours.
M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A pretty assertive, lingering bitterness.
D - Such a wonderful American IPA. 7.30% is enough to knock you around yet I'd take that if I ever got the chance to drink a lot of this. Ticks every box for what I look for in a great American IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Orange-Amber Body with a moderate cream white head... had some staying power before giving way to a nice lace on the glass...

S: Lots of hops... mostly of the piney and citric variety... hints of the sweet malt base... nicely balanced...

T: Its always nice with a powerful, complex hop aroma is matched in the flavor... this is a wonderful western ipa... the malt base is the perfect canvas for the piney and grapefruit hops to tingle the tongue..

M: Clean and crisp. Medium Body. Leaves a nice film in the mouth.

D: Green Flash hit the mark with this one... goes down great even with all those hops assaulting your mouth... good showing at 7%.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

European version brewed in St Feuillien brewery in Belgium.

L - Hazy orange with a big white head

S - Lime and floral notes, a bit og toffee and burnt malt

T - Malty, floral and citrusy, mostly grapfruit and bergamote

F - Alright mouthfeel

O - Classic DIPA, nothing amzing. I'd like to try the Green Flash version

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was one of my favorite IPAs when I first got into craft beer a couple years ago. Since then, I've strayed away. Stopped in Whole Foods today and decided catch up with an old friend. Bottle says to enjoy by 6/17/14. I see no need to wait that long.

A- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. A finger-and-a-half of off-white head dissipates slowly and leaves it's mark on the glass. This is a beautiful beer, in my opinion. A deep amber that seems to glow. Carbonation rises throughout the whole drinking experience.

S- This beer is decently malt-forward, especially for a West Coast IPA. But this is balanced well by grapefruit, lemon zest, grassiness and some faint notes of pine. As it warms, more of the juicy fruit scents come to the fore. Good balance.

T- Great hop bitterness, balanced very well with the caramel from the malt. I really enjoy the faint sweetness that complements the bitterness. However, the waves of hop flavor are what I love about this beer. Thumbs up.

O- I've been reminded of what kept me coming to this beer in the first place. Great balance, and a great value for such a damn good beer. I've enjoyed getting reacquainted with my old friend. Good news? I have 3 more left.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-cloudy, dark gold with a lot of cream colored head

S-very hoppy and very citrusy, a good strength

T-oh my, initial reaction is wow! hits with amazingly citrusy hop character that is slightly creamy and perfectly balanced. ends with a great barley and hops flavor. bitterness is present but just perfect. this is an amazing, world class IPA.

M-great creamy, medium carbonation with a slightly dry mouthfeel

D-a fantastic IPA that i will search out and tell my friends about. the taste stays and the abv is tame. i can't wait to have it again.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this from the bottle at a wine bar. Unfortunately I didn't pour it nor see the date, and they were doing a real shitty job pouring everything they did. I will come back again and give a more detailed review once I get my hands on something I can control the quality of. That said real solid IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Tasting this against the BR Racer 5.

Pours a strong red with no head and minimal lacing. Disappointing.

Faint citrus nose, but not enough going on here to get excited about.

Taste is all citrus with a weak initial hit but nicer finish. Something about the beer tastes slightly unfinished to me though. Kind of green.

Very nice mouthfeel, appropriate to style.

Easy to drink and worth a try. Just not sure I'd try more than one.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.