West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 7,784
4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a jagged 1 1/2 finger head, into S.A. perfect pint glass. beautiful golden amber color.

S- smells like citrus hops, very much like grapefruit. just a hint of malt.

T- To no surprise, it tastes like citrus hops and grapefruit. has a nice malty background to balance it out. aftertaste of, yup, grapefruit.

M- smooth, kind of sticky. great carbonation level.

D- amn this stuff is good!

12 oz bottle.

This has been a staple in the fridge for the past 5 years. This is one of my favorite IPAs. It is good in the bottle and great on draft. Solid appearance, awesome piny smell and taste and great light to medium mouthfeel. I am a big fan of this beer and used to get it quite a bit more when it was in the six pack format, but like to grab it once in a while when I want a good example of a big hop forward IPA.

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewing this beer after having had it a number of times before.

The beer pours a hazy, caramel brown with a pure white head that serves as a nice contrast. It appears to be unfiltered as there is evidence of sediment. It is a beautiful looking beer.

Obviously, the hops dominate the nose. Smells of pine and resin, some floral notes. I don't notice the citrus smells that I do with other IPAs. There is a slight Earl Grey scent as well, much more subtle here, but one I tend to notice in a lot of red ales.

This beer is complex. The upfront taste is strong, a hop bomb. After a second or two, the malts serve as balance. There is a lingering bitterness, but a pleasant one. I am having trouble describing the taste, but I can say with assurance that I like it.

The West Coast IPA is full bodied and packed with flavor. The mouthfeel is slightly viscous, but not overly so. I tend not to like the syrupy IPAs or the IPAs that aren't full bodied. This one leans toward the syrupy, but stops short. It has a mealy quality to it that I find appealing.

For IPA lovers, the drinkability is solid. The bitterness is nuanced and complex. Those without a preference for the style might find it tough to manage more than one, or be turned off by the strong flavors. I very much enjoy the style but would have difficulty having more than a couple.

The West Coast IPA is such solid brew. The price to value is even stronger, as it doesn't break the bank to have a sixpack in the fridge. As far as IPAs go (I am a big fan, but admittedly, no expert), this is in the upper echelon.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

A - a large cream-colored head with large bubbles, not creamy-looking, but read on...

S - malty but just a hint of sweet and spicey

T - malt balanced with bitterness and citrus

M - mouthfeel is truly excellent and very creamy; not sure I've had many like this one.

Overall, ranks way up there with some of the small batch stuff.
Nothing unusual but maybe near the top of west coast IPAs?

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Smell - very piney, nice nose
taste - Piney, grapefruit, some grass
Mouth feel - dry hops tingle on your tongue and gums stays and stays buy does not wear out it's welcome
sessionable if spaced out.

To me there is a very small malt hint, this brew could stand a very small addition of malt to balance the super aggressive hops, or maybe this is the combo they were looking for with this offering. Regardless the insane hops are very much appreciated and well thought out. You can tell that this beer was engineered to appeal to real hop heads and was not just thrown together with random hops just to push IBU's.
Green Flash does not mess around.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Currently IPAs are my general favourite style of beer, so I made sure to check this out at a local taphouse in Richmond, BC.

With 95 IBUs, this beer really blew me away. I have had it once before, but I forgot how potent it was; that said, I enjoy a solid but slow-drinking beer, and this fit the bill nicely for me. The initial punch it packs, as I said, is quite strong - stronger than most IPAs I have - but I still really enjoyed it, all the subtle flavours. I would definitely have it again. Gotta love all the hoppy things that come from the West Coast; it's a good thing I'm such an IPA fan.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Green Flash West Coast IPA ABV 7% . Label is a lime green and blue color . Picture of a green sun setting on the horizon I would take of the Pacific Ocean ( seeing that this is a West Coast IPA )
. Poured into my Brooklyn Brewery pilsner mug a 2 finger egg white head rises . Orange amber copper color . Lots of chunks and bubbles , which seem to be rising from the chunks of sediment at the bottom of the glass . After a few sips the lacing on the glass is as nice as the flavor of this brew . Crisp and " citrusy " . I thought the Smuttynose " Finest Kind " IPA was "dirty " but this has tons of chunks at the bottom of the glass . Pine and hops is what fills your mouth . This in not a hop bomb and at 7% its drinkability is good . Green Flash is worth your hard earned cash .

Go Red Sox ( Manny ejected in the 2nd )

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A cloudy orange, slightly copper color with a tinge of yellow at the bottom. A very thin, clumpy head appear with nice laceing on the sides.

S: Hops.. who knew? Strong pine, grapefruit and orange are found. Sniffin around for some malt and juuuussst get a little hint of some breadiness… I hope… Nevertheless, I think it smells awesome.

T: Rush of hops. Pine and grapefruit dominate this one. Damn.. They’re strong. If the alcohol showed up a little bit more, I’d consider this a DIPA. Malts are uhh… Well, they like to hide. Of course, it has a bitterness at the end that is pretty strong, but nothing way over the top. Lack of balance, however, bring this score down a smudge.

M: Awesome. Medium/full body with a medium level of carbonation that is pretty oily and sticky.

D: While the hops are good, I do believe it lacks some balance. I like my IPA’s to have at least SOME malts to speak of. With an intense hop flavor and lack of malty balance, the drinkability for this beer goes down.

Update: Tried this again some four years later. Not sure if my bottle is old or what, but I get much more malt and much less hop. The smell is still delicious, but the taste is lacking in balance still with the malts not clashing well with the hops.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a hazy orange, 1 finger off white head, decent retention, a bit of lacing

Aromas include orange, grapefruit, lime, pine, earthy hops, ethanol

Taste follows the smell exactly plus some bready malts. Bitter and dry finish

Mouthfeel is medium . Seems to be a pretty hefty IPA. Light carbonation

A bit too astringent for me. There are 95 IBUs in this beer and you can taste them. The alcohol also becomes a lot more noticeable once the beers warms up which hinders the drinkability for me.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Serving Type: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark amber in color with a creamy head of medium density. Head retention was average with medium lacing.

Smell: Nice aroma with hops leading the way. Mostly citrus with a hint of pine. Nice pale malt backing up the hops. Judging by the aroma, I am expecting a well balanced IPA.

Taste: Well balanced indeed. The hops are strong with grapefruit as the most prominent flavor but the malt balances the hops very well. Not enough to overshadow the hops but enough to give the bitterness a backbone. Further into the beer, I am noticing the "hint of pine" building on the palate into a very nice and consistent flavor. Speaking of bitterness, this beer packs a welcome punch of fresh bitterness on the finish. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Slightly less carbonation than I would have liked to see but the body of the beer is just right with a medium heft to it.

Overall: I found this to be a quality IPA that I would not be opposed to quaffing again but I have had many more IPAs that I feel were better overall beers.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash West Coast IPA is the brew that turned me onto IPA's.
It pours into a glass a deep copper, and it's head foams nicely.
This IPA has a crisp and clean smell with hints of pine.
The taste is strong, and refreshing. The ABV is on point!
Overall, this is one of the best American IPA's brewed in the west Coast.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Beer pours a deep orange color, definitely unfiltered with yeast and some small bits of hop. Good head dissipates to nice lace. Pretty. Smell is big grassy, juicy, citrus hops, floral, piney. Wow, obviously a combination of hops here, there's so much going on.

Taste is very bitter even for an IPA, this is creeping towards double IPA territory, there's a little grain and malt to back up the hops, but this is a lupulin showcase, and all the flavors I smelled are on the palate as well.

Mouthfell is good, slightly dry. Drinkability is quite good considering its bitterness. This is a pretty awesome IPA, I'm glad we're getting Green Flash in Arizona.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Growler filled at the Finger Lakes Beverage center in Ithaca. Enjoyed several pints. Pours a slightly hazy light orange with frothy white head and lots of lacing. Heavy citrus hop aroma and taste to match with hints of grapefruit. Sweet in the middle with a nice dry finish. Very typical west coast example of this style. Medium body with great drinkability.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Green Flash-Stellar Name ,Green Flash-Stellar Beer!
15$ a sixer, not cheap but well worth it.
Kinda murky,deep golden amber-Beauty
I think a truck of grapefruit just got in a wreck outside-nevermind just me opening a brew!
Nectar of the Gods- Great Taste
Outstanding Mouthfeel-hard to beat this!
Poundability is an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale,Excellent!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

From a stout "Sierra Nevada Style" 12oz bottle to my Trafalgar Bewing Company pint glass... this beer had me at hello.

The sweet smell of grapefruit doesn't really wait to be introduced, but instead extends his hand and introduces himself... and he's bold. "How you doin'? I'm pungent." Yep. It's great.

The color is an amber - like a nice wave of grain.

The off white bubbly 1/4 inch thick head stuck around for the entire glass. It even left residue on the sides of the glass as you drink. Clinging on for dear life, showing you that he don't go down easy... but oh.. the nectar does - if you're into "extravagantly hopped" superbly bitter beers.

this one was bitter going down... and had a great mouthfeel. If I could... the West Coast IPA would get a 7 out of 5 for mouthfeel. It's that good.

5's all around... except drinkability... just a few of these please... then let me see if I can talk to God to find something better...

I'd like to try this and the Lagunitas IPA next to eachother... that would be like The Hulk vs. Spider Man...

Green Flash... you've done it. Great Job!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into my New Belgium Globe....I cannot find a bottle date but I grabbed a four pack right when they were coming off the truck...

pours sort of a burnt orange, clear, with a one finger cream head that fades reletively quickly..decent lacing..nice looking...

it seems to be fresh fromt he termendous hop aroma I get..fruity,pine, a tiny bit of grass, very nice

taste is solid. upfront hoppiness.Grapefruit and pine, bitterness almost the while way with a signifgant linger..this kind is what I love about ipas..

mouthfeel is again, solid, subtantial and a bit creamy..

overall I loved this beer..probably could only drink no more than two in a sitting...but a good brew....

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Body is relatively clear, copper in color, with a spotty off-white head that leaves sticky lacing. Head is not much to speak of in itself.

S - As Keanu Reeves would say.. whooooaaa. There are so many aromas goin on I'm not sure which to pick out immediately... Caramel and pine, toffee, pomelo... lots going on here, and it all smells like something I want to make a cologne out of.

T - Hops are more pronounced than the nose, pine, cedar and earth dominate. Citrus undertones are there, but fruity flavors are minute. Balanced well by the light caramel and toffee that I picked up on the nose

M - Pretty thick and easy on carbonation

O - Pretty delicious beer that is so much more than a straightforward hop-bomb.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a very hoppy, pine and citrus loaded brew. This beer pours and orangy/amber hue. The taste are of grapefruit, pine and citra. There is no best before or brew date. This brew was given to me from a friend that came down from PA and this beer was stil fresh. Very good brew and would easily grab a six pack anytime.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Served on tap at Jerry's in Wicker Park.

I've been looking forward to trying this fresh, and definitely had it fresh yesterday. Looks the part of an American IPA: medium rust colored. Smells weedy, and a bit of citrus blend as well. This guy is a true hop monster. I don' recall having another beer that is quite so hop forward. Very little malt to balance, which is just fine with me. There is a lingering bitterness, leaving that grapefruit rind taste behind. If you are not afraid of a true "palate scorcher", seek this out...pronto!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Green Flash West Coast IPA is a delicious, bitter, fruity IPA with strong aromatic citrus flavors. I'd compare this beer to the Firestone Union jack in that it has a deeply enjoyable bitterness balanced well with mainly grapefruit and other citrus. At 7.3 percent alcohol, the west coast IPA is a beer you could drink more than one at a time, and at about $8-9 for a 4 pack, it won't break the bank. Overall, a surprisingly enjoyable beer and another standout California IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was good/great IPA with great west coast hop head aromas and a bitter pine forward taste. The pour was dark amber orange clear with carbonation heavy bubble throughout. The smell was very good. Pine resin and that fantastic hoppy citrus I expected. The taste was very bitter forward, piney and malt and caramel were there. The citrus I expected just wasn't quite there but for those loving the hoppy bitter IPA with more malt note this would hit the spot. Mouthfeel was dry and slightly sour after drinking. Almost a hoppy farmhouse ale feel.
This was overall a good beer, not quite as fruit and citrus as others but still a good IPA for the bitter lovers

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Apperance- Cloudy copper color, with a decent head and good lacing.

Smell- Big hop smell with other scents poking through, cant decipher them all yet.

Taste,Mouthfeel- Heavily hopped beer, not very well balanced, you could taste the alcohol and the malt is quite weak compared to the hops. Medium bodied and medium carb.

Drinkability- Its a good tasty IPA, a little unbalanced for my tastes but some like that in a beer.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a Victory Pint Glass

A- Deep golden bronze color with orange hues. Quite hazy, with a thick one-finger seafoam-like head. Excellent retention- thickest foamly lace I've ever noted.

S- Nice hoppy notes of citrus, light pine, grapefruit, bread- and faint nip of toffee.

T- Full smack of hops- a bitter edge that wraps around the middle of the tongue from front to finish. Much of the hop characters in the smell don't present themselves in the taste, as the bitter edge is overpowering.

M- Full body, light fizz.

O- Wow, this brew is an enigma to me. Heard wonderful things about it, and I love IPAs- but there was something about the fullness of the bitter edge here that just took away from all of the other attributes I expect in this style. Did I get a bad bottle? Who knows, but I did find myself saying "wow" after each sip- more so in disappointment.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a nice representation of an American IPA. Everything that you would expect from the style.

Pours a deep gold with nice white head.

Smell is of aggressive hops. Citrus is the dominant aroma. Hops, hops and more hops.

Taste is exactly what you would think you would get from the nose. Very aggressive citrus. Bitterness is immediate. Lots of citrus with subtle pine. Nice IPA. Hoppiness lingers.

A: Clear; amber color with reddish highlights; foamy head
S: Grapefruit, candy shell (candy sugar), dank, wet dog
M: Medium body, smooth, almost creamy
T: Strongly bitter, notes of fruit rind, dank. I thought it tasted like a cross between Bear Republic's Racer 5 and Ballast Point's Sculpin

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.