West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer
4.22 w/ 7,904 ratings

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV

4.5

Ratings: 7,904 |  Reviews: 1,890

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3-14-09 Was psyched to find this home town hero in my local grocery when I moved to NY! Updated 12-3-12.

A: 1-3 fingers of orange-cream foam with great retention. Lots of floaties - must be unfiltered, will pour with caution next time - and I did and it was only slightly hazy. Orange, with golden highlights. Almost perfect except for chunks.
S: Hops sweet and oily smelling - pine/west coast hop aroma. Bright citrus and tropical fruit. Smells like a DIPA. Tiny smell of alcohol, some sweet caramelly malt.
T: Very bitter right up front and intensely grapefruity throughout. Nice and hoppy with a faint malt whiff. Very intensely hoppy for an AIPA. Delicious. Pineapple, grapefruit and fir needle bitterness coming on strong at the end. Man Candy-esque. A tad vegetal = minus points.
M: Intensely puckering/grapefruit. Maybe even a little astringent. (negative) One of the most bitter beers I've had! Prickyl and bracing
O: Man candy all the way. Bring it on! Mmmm, good. Only bummer is that it is too strong for a session. This is what I wish more AIPAs would emulate. Maybe a tiny bit less bitterness would be more pleasant.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A - A beautiful copper color...a nice white head that sticks around...leaves nice lacing the entire way

S - Wonderful aroma of hops...some pine and citrus notes mixed in

T - Hops in the front...middle...and end...a little heavy on the bitterness

M - Medium body...actually kind of creamy

D - I'm an IPA fan...and this is a great beer...everyone should try this style at some point!

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Pours a hazy dark orange bordering on copper with an inch of slightly off white head that slowly falls away leaving a decent amount of lace.
S - Did someone say West Coast? Pungent, piney, grapefruit pith, citrusy hop goodness. Light, clean caramel & toasty maltiness balances it.
T - OMFG. This is what I love about a good American IPA. Much like the smell; piney, grapefruit like citrus hop flavour balanced (slightly) by clean light caramel, toasted bread malt flavours.
M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A pretty assertive, lingering bitterness.
D - Such a wonderful American IPA. 7.30% is enough to knock you around yet I'd take that if I ever got the chance to drink a lot of this. Ticks every box for what I look for in a great American IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Orange-Amber Body with a moderate cream white head... had some staying power before giving way to a nice lace on the glass...

S: Lots of hops... mostly of the piney and citric variety... hints of the sweet malt base... nicely balanced...

T: Its always nice with a powerful, complex hop aroma is matched in the flavor... this is a wonderful western ipa... the malt base is the perfect canvas for the piney and grapefruit hops to tingle the tongue..

M: Clean and crisp. Medium Body. Leaves a nice film in the mouth.

D: Green Flash hit the mark with this one... goes down great even with all those hops assaulting your mouth... good showing at 7%.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I get very little on the nose, some faint citrus. I get a good citrus taste up front. The finish wrecks it for me, very bitter with a soapy aftertaste.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was one of my favorite IPAs when I first got into craft beer a couple years ago. Since then, I've strayed away. Stopped in Whole Foods today and decided catch up with an old friend. Bottle says to enjoy by 6/17/14. I see no need to wait that long.

A- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. A finger-and-a-half of off-white head dissipates slowly and leaves it's mark on the glass. This is a beautiful beer, in my opinion. A deep amber that seems to glow. Carbonation rises throughout the whole drinking experience.

S- This beer is decently malt-forward, especially for a West Coast IPA. But this is balanced well by grapefruit, lemon zest, grassiness and some faint notes of pine. As it warms, more of the juicy fruit scents come to the fore. Good balance.

T- Great hop bitterness, balanced very well with the caramel from the malt. I really enjoy the faint sweetness that complements the bitterness. However, the waves of hop flavor are what I love about this beer. Thumbs up.

O- I've been reminded of what kept me coming to this beer in the first place. Great balance, and a great value for such a damn good beer. I've enjoyed getting reacquainted with my old friend. Good news? I have 3 more left.

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. Freaking gorgeous-looking pour with a clear, reddish-amber color and a big fluffy head that leaves behind some great lacing on the glass. The nose just reeks of pine. It's almost sticky with the scent of pine sap. There is also just a hint of a honey-like sweet note.

I don't know how fresh this bottle is, but it tastes really good. The hops kick you almost immediately and don't let up. The strong pine and herbal tones accompany a caramel backbone in the front of the mouth. At mid-palate, the mouthfeel starts to change a bit from slick and oily to somewhat creamy and the bitterness takes on more of a citrusy character. The bitterness continues to intensify right to a dry, lingering finish that leaves your mouth dripping with hop oils.

This is about as hopped-up as an IPA can be without crossing the line to Imperial IPA. It's not my favorite IPA since I find the hop notes to be very floral and pine-like without giving me any of the citrus notes I crave in an IPA (for me, the best IPAs have flavor profiles with lemon, grapefruit, peach, and sweet orange). Still, this beer would be appreciated by any hophead.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-cloudy, dark gold with a lot of cream colored head

S-very hoppy and very citrusy, a good strength

T-oh my, initial reaction is wow! hits with amazingly citrusy hop character that is slightly creamy and perfectly balanced. ends with a great barley and hops flavor. bitterness is present but just perfect. this is an amazing, world class IPA.

M-great creamy, medium carbonation with a slightly dry mouthfeel

D-a fantastic IPA that i will search out and tell my friends about. the taste stays and the abv is tame. i can't wait to have it again.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91.7% out of 100 with 7,904 ratings