West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 7,784
4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

I bought a case of this on a whim. Freshness date was new and I read good things about it on BA.
Poured into a pint glass:
A. Sunshine/amber color with a nice cloud like puffy head.The head lasts throughout the beer while lace sticks to the glass.
S. Smells of citrusy hops.grassy,pine,and hops.
T. Aggressive hops upfront with grapefruit rind and a little bit of lemon.As it finishes I taste the malts with a hoppy after taste.
M. Oily,creamy,thick and sticky.
D. This is definiteley a sipper.The taste lingers on and on.I can only drink this I.P.A by itself.It overwhelms the palate.But I like it that way.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

On the label it says " taste it once remember it forever, that is the truth. Anytime I can get this I invest wisely and get a minimum of a case. This is the IPA that created the west coast -hi ibu palette- that I now can't escape from. I never look into my cooler with anything less than satisfaction when I have the west coast Ipa in it.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a deep golden color with a nice, rocky 2 finger head. Lots of lacing. Bottled on 5-21-12.

Aroma of citrus, pine and a little sweetness.

Big hop flavor. Citrus followed by some tropical fruit and a little sweetness from a solid malt backbone. Finishes with a lingering pine bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little oily from the hops. Carbonation is good.

Very solid IPA, glad this one is in Georgia now.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

feel of a pale, smell of a flowerpatch, great lacing atop a copper-gold body, residual bitterness, big pine, big citrus. BOOM. This is west coast IPA, it is drinkable, it is formidable, it is massively flavorful- fruity and strong. But it is balanced.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a large tulip

A- Pours a straw golden color slight haze. Big white fluffy head and disappears to a thin covering that laces the glass nicely.

S- Notes of mild pine and light citrus. Wasn't as pungent as I was expect. Still very nice and clean.

T- Pine and resin upfront light fruit on the finish. Crisp clean malt profile

M- light body strong carbonation, medium bitter hop finish.

0- great hop forward ipa. The drinkability makes it a will buy again for those hot summer days.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

My new favorite DIPA.. where to start this beer really rolled out the red carpet for hops! The pour was smooth with a minimal effort head with great retention and sticky lacing the color is almost tinted ruby red the head also slightly tinted ruby red the smell was a citrusy and highly floral thanks to those cascade hops the taste was smooth citrus with layered pine into a comfortable bitter peace the alcohol is so well hidden when cold but dont let the smooth taste fool you! The alcohol will punch you in the mouth when warm but it's refreshing.. Pretty amazed by this beer don't let that simple label fool you this modest beast will take your taste buds for a ride... West Coast IPA

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a Orange gold like color with a good solid head. Slightly hazy but still translucent (personally I like most beers with a little haze). The aroma is everything you could want from an IPA, there's plenty of pine, citrus, and a tad bit of tropical in the mix. The taste is very reflective of this and all the hop flavors are very well balanced, and at 8% abv there is no booziness what so ever. This is now my standard for great IPAs. Nothing gimmicky or revolutionary, just everything is put together extremely well.

Scored this example for free from a beer rep, so I liked it from the beginning. Nice dark amber color with a bright white head. Sediment suspended in beer. Piney and citrusy hop smell. Sweeter blueberry-like taste upfront and then a bitter hop twist. Bitterness fades quick and begs to be tipped up again. Medium bodied and full of sharp, tingly carbonation. Very sessionable for me and an excellent year-round replacement for my favorite HopSlam.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from bottle to chalice. Purchased at Westroads in Carbondale, IL--$2.39ea

Appearance: Tea color--reddish. Off-white head that stays nicely.

Smell: Getting fruitiness, maybe some pineapple. Flowery--hoppy aroma. Not any spice at all.

Taste: Hops are perfect. Not overpowering at all, even for the stated 95ibu. Pine notes with the pineapple that come through not only in smell, but taste. Love it.

Mouthfeel: Silky. Hops that cling to the cheeks and tongue.

Overall: Great IPA. Love it a lot and would recommend.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%

10/15/10 - 4, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5

I am so conflicted right now... On the one hand this is one of the greatest IPA's I've ever tasted. On the other, I've already had this about 6 times and wrote it off each time. I'm tempted to drop an entire letter grade for omission of a freshness date, mainly because it has prevented me from tasting the extreme glory that is this beer.

Smell is very deep into the bitterness of hops used. Definitely as piney as Pliny, perhaps veering away from the grassiness into a perfectly mild grapefruit undertone. I'm chewing needles, dog.

Look is the amberest of ambers, which decorates a peppery, sprucey taste uncompromising in its hop brutality. So bitter but so flavorful!

What happens to this beer in a couple months is unforgivable. As punishment I shall burden the drinkability score of my review with an unfavorable grade. Feel the wrath of my .1% opinion!

Still... great brew.

9/2/10 - 4, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5
Since having a rather poor experience with this beer, I have heard great things and was eager to give it a shot.

Fills the glass nicely with burnt orange, amber highlights and silky, solid head. Smells great too, hops and malt, all kinds of hops, but a too-sweet head that will surely linger into the mouth.

The 95 IBU's are well noted, as is the delectable variety of hops appointed to represent GFBWCIPA. Unfortunately the choice of malt is just too much for me in what should be an exceptional IPA. The bitterness factor here deserves more than an apologetic sugar finish, but that is exactly what I'm getting. Reminds me of the finish on a sub-par Belgian ale, a sticky-sweet disjointed aftertaste.

The bitterness on the other hand is really something extraordinary. Aside from a problematic undertone of lint and pennies, this palate wrecker comes on like dry wood. I can almost literally feel my mouth being attacked. My thoughts are if you like seriously bitter hops, this is the place for you. Personally, I'll stick to more user-friendly offerings.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Golden orange with pale green edges and very light foam that does reform with a swirl.

Very aggressive piney and tropical fruit aromas.

Nice biscuit malt and candied orange peel flavors and a bracing, bitter finish. Despite the edgy qualities, I could drink a lot of this beer.

What appears to be a classic West Coast style IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No freshness info. Pours a cloudy orange with two fingers of frothy foam and not a lot of carbonation. Nice lacing. Nose is quite sweet but still with a nice balance between a light malt and crisp, lively hops. Aromas of mango and orange. Full bodied and rich mouthfeel, but not syrupy. Carbo is too low. Super bitter palate! The fairly rich malt tries to cut the hopiness but, happily, to little or no avail. You can count all 95 IBUs in this one! Mostly grapefruit and pine flavors but the malt does tease out some lighter lemon zest and mango notes. It's been a while since I've had this and I don't remember liking this much but I will make a point to not go so long without having it again.

App: A very clear, clean and crisp looking with orange hue poured initially to approx. 2 fingers of foamy white head which receeded quickly leaving some individual spots of lace.

Smell: Very noticeable citrus and hops, with a little cinnamon.

Taste: The hops punch you in the throat like a karate black belt, and the taste of grapefruit stays on the pallet for a while.

MF: Very crisp, very smooth.

OA: Very, very nice brew.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Nice burnt orange appearance, not too much head out of the bottle. Great caramel malts, with not too much bitter characteristics, but fruitier with a touch of grapefruit.

It traveled a long way to get to me so some hop character may have been lost. Or it could be as intended with a typical west coast IPA.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours an orange/copper with a thick fluffy white head. Excellent head retention. Very hazy.

S - A hoppy blast - grapefruit, pine, floral notes, caramel.

T - Citrus notes lead to hop bitterness and a dry finish. Carmel and spice noticeable. A big malt backbone but very, very bitter overall - a definite hop-bomb. Leaves a very bitter aftertaste with a slightly unpleasant flavor that I can't put my finger on...perhaps soapy?

M - Medium body, low carbonation.

D - Good flavor, but aftertaste and thickness knock it down a bit.

A very solid hopped-up West Coast IPA...worth a shot if you're in the hop mood.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. No date, but I'm sure it's pretty fresh because it came in one of those newfangled 4 packs.

A- 2 1/2 finger off white head. Beer was clear dark orange/copper. Nice thick lacing as I was drinking it and a good bit left behind after the beer was gone.

S- Great smell. Citrus mostly with some really nice sweet tropical fruit notes.

T- Nice strong citrusy hops. Pine as well, but it's not as strong as the sweet citrus flavors. The hops mellow out rather quickly which gives the malt backbone a chance to be tasted. Long lingering mild bitter finish with citrusy burps.

M- Medium bodied, but not oily or mouth coating to any real degree.

D- Gooood, goood. This is a superb IPA that begs to be drunk. Great hop flavor with just a hint of the malt backbone to add balance. Strong flavor that tastes almost like a double, but not overly bitter or palette wrecking. I would definitely pick this up again when I know it's fresh.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to fellow BA kolch for this one!

Pours a beautiful burnt orange color. Carefull though, even after I was warned, I was too excited to pour this brew and had a bunch of yeast sediment floating around. Hardly a problem though, and just of of the slight drawbacks to bottle conditioned brews.

Smell: If I were standing in a field of Hops, I would imagine it would smell like this brew. Amazing. Almost made me think the beer itself was a hop cone and I just wanted to take a bite!

Taste: In the words of Borat, "Wowawow-wee-wow!" Say goodbye to your tastebuds after tilting one of these back. It's really unfair to any other brew you might try after this- the hop taste is amazing and powerfull.

Mouthfeel: This might offend some people, but a way I judge the mouthfeel of a good IPA is the burp that follows it. And even the burp with this beer tastes good!

Drinkability: Oh hell yes. This one is easily drinkable. Hands down one of my favorite IPA's I've had to date.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at EJ Phair in Concord, CA.

Poors a brilliant orange with 1/2 inch of foam. Smells of PUNGENT pine that sticks in your nose and coats your nostrils. Tastes of thick pine resin and grapefruit. It's catty, thick and sappy. This is no session beer, but it highlights the West Coast hops nicely. Brilliant Beer, but it's a sipper.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

I first has this beer at a bonfire with some hop-head friends and was blown away by the hop intensity... It literally felt as if I had started chewing some hops (any homebrewer knows what I'm talking about)

After that night, I poured the beer in a glass as I sat down to watch a movie with my family, and to my surprise, the beer pours a cloudy, almost milky red-orange.... VERY unfiltered... but that is the beauty of this beer, it is rough around the edges in appearance, but hidden in the clouds of hop particulate there lies a deep complexity of flavor.

The aroma of this beer is did not really jump out at me, I'm a hop head, and I've smelled it before... , it is slightly sweet, floral, piney, reminiscent of many other IPAs that I've had the privilege of sampling.

The taste is really where this beer shines... This beer has multiple levels of hop flavor.... the bitterness rolls over the tongue with notes of pine, juniper, grapefruit, and very tangy flowers... each set of tastebuds finds something in the intense bitterness of this beer. The flavors linger much much longer than a normal IPA due to the lack of filtration. It is slightly oily, almost buttery... tasting somehow like lightly brined olives... try this beer with olives, good European olives. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is great too... despite the particulate, this beer does not feel gritty or too thick.

This beer only suffers in drinkability if you don't like hops. Even the 7% abv mark seems appropriate. This beer is very refreshing, The hops wake up your senses, but again, BEWARE IF YOU DON"T LIKE HOPS.

An exceptional beer. A tribute to the style

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sierra Nevada tumbler.

Pours a cloudy amber-orange with a thin white head. Decent lacing.

Hops dominate the nose. Smells like a good mix between fruity and piney (which in my case means more fruit than pine). The fruit aroma is mostly grapefruit.

Taste is very floral hops. A little bit of both the fruitiness and the pine come through, but centerstage is bitter (very bitter), floral hops. Pine comes more in the finish. Slight maltiness, but not enough to really stand out among the hops at first. As it warms up, however, the balance is better and there's some nice spice up front from the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium, though a bit sticky. The bitterness from the hops is a bit dry but it is not overwhelming. There's a good amount of carbonation, but again it is not overwhelming.

Drinkability is decent. The hoppiness could be a little better balanced with some more maltiness, but for a hop bomb it's definitely enjoyable. Could drink another, but I won't seek it out again.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. glass bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A - Deep orange amber with a foamy off-white head, sticking to the glass in a lacy pattern. There's a good deal of sediment suspended in the brew, making it quite hazy.

S - Lots of citrusy hop notes, particularly grapefruit, perhaps some mandarin orange. Sweet maltiness present in the peripherals.

T - Hops, balanced with a great malty palate. Amazingly tasty. The citrus notes from the nose are here in spades.

M - On the thin side of medium-bodied, with just a bit of carbonation. Pretty smooth.

D - One of my favorite IPAs, this is incredibly drinkable given its hop content. If you're a hop-head, this makes a great session beer.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

This is the stuff hop dreams are made of! Had at the Stone Anniversary Release.

A- Dark Golden/Light Amber -- right on the money!
S- A slightly danky IPA, but not overly so. That said, many IPA's are going the total citrus route, so some dank is kinda nice! Pine and citrus are also present-- Nicely done!
T- Slight nutty taste but the danky-ness continues. The bitterness walks the line (between harsh and smooth) and lingers into the finish like a laser- I would say this is pretty balanced, if not a little flamboyant for the style!
M- Nice, firm malt backbone and hop presence
O- If choosing an IPA you would be hard pressed to find any better. Its West Coast, which if you are on this site, means hops across the board. Its a nice beer. Personally, I like something a tad more "toned down" like Port's Wipeout IPA. With that said, I can totally appreciate this effort.

Grade: Solid A

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Served cool in a standard pint glass. Cool looking bottle. I had heard good things about this beer and was excited to see it in central Ohio.

Appearance is a hazy amber with some floating yeast. Might be a turn-off for some but I'm OK with this. Nice cream head after pouring that remains throughout.

Smell of piney and citrusy hops. Yum. Sign of things to come.

Taste is great. Exactly what I want from an IPA. Prominent hoppiness with more of the mix of citrus, floral, and pine. Balanced out with the malt just perfectly.

Mouthfeel is a little stick. Just about right. Nice carbonation.

Pretty drinkable. The ABV is noticed only at the end. Balance makes this much more drinkable than many other IPAs I have tried. Will definitely come back to this one.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

This is a fantasticly well balanced single IPA. The availability for me has been scarce lately so I had this one bottle in the back of the frig for awhile. Drinking this right after a Stone IPA and this seems a bit smoother and perhaps a slightly creamier feel on the palate. I really love many of the San Diego breweries and Green Flash is yet another exceptional example. I vividly recall my first taste of this beer which was on tap at Najas and me and my brother were blown away and couldn't stop talking about how good it was. Later I found it in bottles and still love it. There Imperial IPA is something worth writing home about as well!

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's interesting I had this offering a while back when it first came out and thought it was just ok, a rather above average ok. Having it now and much more impressed. Love the appearance of this baby. A somewhat light amber or yellow brown in color. Poured a half inch head which dissolved to a ring but the lacing hung around. The nose is a very malty sweet with hints of hops and grapefruit. I like the taste better. Begins with a malty forefront with the grapefruit hops dominating in the middle and ending the same way it began with a malty hoppy balance. The mouthfeel is a medium thick. Overall really diggin this one. Certainly will become a regular in my rotation.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.