West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 7,784
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's interesting I had this offering a while back when it first came out and thought it was just ok, a rather above average ok. Having it now and much more impressed. Love the appearance of this baby. A somewhat light amber or yellow brown in color. Poured a half inch head which dissolved to a ring but the lacing hung around. The nose is a very malty sweet with hints of hops and grapefruit. I like the taste better. Begins with a malty forefront with the grapefruit hops dominating in the middle and ending the same way it began with a malty hoppy balance. The mouthfeel is a medium thick. Overall really diggin this one. Certainly will become a regular in my rotation.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A – Amber and orange in color with hints of yellow; a nice offwhite head that goes to the top of the glass; looks delectable.

S – Just a hop bomb in the nose, hoppalicious. Upon further inspection there is delightful aromas of candied grapefruit, pineapple, pine and grass in the nose. Wondrous.

T – Ah, there you are my ever-allusive perfectly hopped IPA. This is just about perfect. So much hoppiness coming at you and yet it is balanced by a slight malty sweetness that keeps this IPA honest. The grapefruit also plays a major role and makes this one hell of a refreshing beer to play along with the bitter element. So good.

M – A glorious mouthfeel that is fluffy from the carbonation, light to medium body, bitter finish.

D – So friggin drinkable, I could knock these back all night. And don’t you tempt me, I just might. Would not want to split a 4-pack with you.

O – One of my favorite IPA’s on the planet. Just so well crafted, the flavors all come together so nicely, supremely drinkable, and it’s just damn GOOD. The quality laughs with you at every sip of this hoppy masterpiece.

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Beautiful amber color with very low amount of head. A slight, hoppy and fruity smell with a touch of sweetness. Taste is very hoppy (even for an IPA), but with a very pleasant and surprising citrus undertone. Slightly sweet but not overly so, I found this to be very unique. After drinking the entire glass, it may be a little overly hoppy/spicy, but nevertheless an excellent IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
no freshness dating to be found anywhere on bottle or packaging. Drives me nuts...

A: Light amber/orange tinge to this brew - somewhat hazy with a standard half inch head, which is bright white and extra soapy. Tight little bubbles in the lace, nice streaking down the glass.

S: Pungent. Sticky, wet grassy pine notes and floral hops dominate. Some citrus hops present. Surprisingly nice undercurrent of caramel malt sweetness. Also you can smell the bitterness this ipa is waiting to smack you with.

T: Not the hop bomb I expected, however a nicely appointed ipa. Floral and pine hops stick out, and a nice malty sweetness helps alleviate some of the lashing the hefty bitterness of this beer provided. Overall, a very sturdy brew.

M: Medium full, a bit oily and resinous.

D: Went down fast, interesting beer. Glad I grabbed a sixer.

A - Pours a golden amber color with medium murkiness/clarity and very bubbly. 1 inch white head that retains well, with lots of lacing.

S - A fantastic mixture of hops and sweet citrus fruits (orange and lemon peel, passion fruit, and grapefruit).

T - A sweet front is quickly followed by a fruitiness that ends with a very strong bitter aftertaste.

M - A medium body that does not create a strong burn from either carbonation or alcohol.

O - The smell is great, and the taste is sweet at first but the bitter aftertaste is very powerful, maybe a bit overpowering.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Poured into a pint glass. Color is a deep copper. Head is a good one finger and and frothy and sticky looking. Lacing is very sticky.

S- Absolutely wonderful smell. Very fresh with pineapple and grapefruit. This is one of my favorite aspects of the style, such a good citric smell.

T- My oh my. This is one of those beers where the nose tells almost the whole story. There are some IPAs where it may smell citrusy but then you get to the taste and it can be just pure hoppy bitterness, but this beer keeps its citrus flavors even when tasting and its amazing. It has a strong bitter finish which is great but having it start with the citrus bite is a different experience. Defintely one of the best tasting IPAs.

M- Goes down just like I would like any IPA. Has a good bite and leaves me wanting more. Is there alcohol in the beer? I don't get any boozyness, just wonderful citric bitterness.

D- Yes please. Could drink this over and over and wouldn't complain. Love the fact you can buy this in 6 packs. Go get some!

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Served on tap into a standard pint glass.

A - Slightly hazy, golden, copper color. Steady stream of carbonation up the side of the glass. Only a slight skim of white foam on top, but it leaves a lot of very fine white lace in its path.

S/T - Strong floral and citrus hops aroma. The flavor follows suit, and presents a complex combination of grapefruit, pine, and peppery hops. The hops fade to leave a slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers. The malt flavor is unremarkable; this is all about the hops.

M/D - Medium bodied with very lively carbonation. Hops provide a slightly sticky feel. I would never guess 7% ABV. This is very crisp and dry, highly drinkable assuming you enjoy hops.

4.82/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've never in my life had a better balanced IPA. Nice piney, resiny IPA with no overly dominant flavor. Goes down smoother than a slab of butter down a hippopotamus' back. I am pretty amazed by this one.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Had heard a lot about this beer, and finally was able to snag a sixer of this one after hunting it down.

A: Looks like you're standard IPA, nice amber colored with about an inch of head. Poured into a standard pint glass.

S: Wow. A combination of grapefruit, citrus, and pine. Just a hint of herbal-resins and spice. Wish I was able to have poured into a tulip, but oh well.

T: Fantastic, the aroma definitely carries into taste, but am able to taste a little more of the herbal dankness than was able to originally smell.

M: Really nice mouthfeel. With the amount of hops in the taste, I usually expect to be overwhelmed by bitterness and what I perceive to be a dry taste, but this is smooth, and the malts used here are a great compliment to the hops.

D:Three of these went down in no time. 7.3%?! Seriously?!

Overall: This beer, for me, definitely lived up to my expectations. I drank these after first having a Hopslam, and this sure held it's own in my opinion. I was happy to see that even after the Hopslam, this beer clearly presented it's fantastic flavor & aroma. This will be purchased and enjoyed (and copied as a homebrew!)

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Had on tap at a local bar, had to grab a bottle for a proper review:

Look - Light amber, big frothy white head, mild retention

Smell - Heav-hitting hoppy citrus, grapefruit

Taste - Sweet on the tongue, clean malty caramel flavor on the palate, and a rush of citrus hops going down. Aftertaste is strong bitter hops.

Feel - medium body, a little chewy, crisp at colder temperatures

Drink - Say what you will about the bitterness, it's a rather tasty drink. Those who fear hops should stay away, but anyone who appreciates the style will enjoy it. I found the alcohol to be a bit strong though, so it's definitely not a session beer for me.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this a few days ago out in California. I brought a six pack back with me.

A - Copper/orange with golden edges. Good head and good lacing for the duration of the beer, but not the best I've ever seen.

S - Rocks! God, this is a nice west coast hoppy aroma. Some candied grapefruit, pine/evergreen, and a hint of pineapple. I'd stick my nose in this for a long time!

T - A bit more subdued than the nose. Still, quite forward with the hops. Yum. Very bright, pretty citrusy, but there's still some toasted pale malts and a hint of caramel for balance. Very clean.

M - Medium body. Low to moderate carbonation. Again, clean, and tightly wound (hope this isn't too wine-specific a term). Crisp.

D - I want more! This is super tasty, goes down easily, and is very refreshing. Good sessionability, and also really makes me want to go back for more.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - good head an retention. A bit hazy.

Smell - amazing!!!! Orange and grapefruit notes. I definitely smell Citra hops. Big, aggressive dry hop. Doesn't smell much better than this in the IPA world.

Taste - also exemplary! barely-there malt backbone that has a little caramel note but is mostly american Pale ale malt or 2 row. The hoppiness is definitely the main event but is least prominent in the middle. Still very hoppy and once again, It doesn't get much better than this.

Finish - Almost as good as aromas and better than the middle. Dank and sticky but still citrusy.

Overall - this is one of the best IPAs I've ever had and, as far as I'm concerned, it is a benchmark for it's style. IPA is my everyday style and the only one I consider myself knowledgeable in and this is world-class, without question.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Look (4.5): This looks so appealing to me. A dark golden almost amber hue when settled and extremely unfiltered. There's minimal white colored carbonation for the head. And when I say unfiltered, there's chunky bits in there, the yummy looking kind.

Smell (3.75): It's not extremely overpowering, but there's pleasent citrus, floral, earth and piney notes all coming off this. It's very complex it seems, but at the same time with so much hop aromas in there I'm also getting a nice balanced malt sweetness there.

Taste (3.75): Unbalancedly bitter, but that's what they're going for obviously. With that said there's still a large amount of malts in there to help but out the bitterness.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Medium to full bodied, very acidic. Orange peel like acidity that at the same time has a nice sweet subtle softness.

Overall (4): This is one of the classics, so that's why I'll give it the respect it deserves. I like it for what it is, but that doesn't mean I like it.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

I bought a six pack of this beer because I heard that it was a good IPA.

A. Poured into and Anchor Steam pint glass. It was a copper type color. Almost orange. Good thick head and nice lacing.

S. Insanely hoppy smell. Lots of pine notes. Probably the best part of the beer.

T. Intense flavor. The hops reach out and punch you in the face on this one. Also had your typical citrus flavors but the malt dissapears behind al those damn hops.

M. I like the carbonation. Perfect amount. Nice oily hop bitterness as well.

D. The drinkability was just so so. Too many of these might give you blisters in your mouth from the burning hops.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

I was very excited to try this beer and even my first impressions were good. Apparently, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Appearance was nice. A golden rust color with a nice light foam head.

Smell was great. Very lush and green with plenty of sweet citrus.

Taste was nice too....until I swallowed and the harsh reality hit home. Up front it was a nice lush experience with plenty of citrus and pine but upon swallowing, that all disappeared and true the serious biterness presented itself. It seemed that this has no real malt backbone to balance out the hops.

Mouthfeel was just about what I expected but the harshness lowers the drinkability somewhat, at least for me.

I know this beer is very highly regarded and I generally liked it but based on the buzz surrounding it, I was expecting something more like Two Hearted.

I'll be happy to try it again in the future but I probably won't mbe seeking out another bottle any time soon.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

A: golden straw. the color is quite beautiful. decent lacing.

S: summer peach and dank grapefruit resinous and hoppiness. smells like it tastes.

T: when i first sampled this brew i was head over heels. not too bitter but a piney, floral confluence. it finishes quite well and has you begging for more.

M: strong carbobation and not oily at all. def taste/feel the alcohol but not in a bad way.

O: a def go to. im glad they,ve expanded their offerings at a reasonable price! love this brew!

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Look. Soft, cloudy golden Amber. Frothy head
Smell. Pretty pungent. A peachy, peppery nasa clearer.
Taste. Hops rule the palate, even well after swallowing.
Feel. Substantial, semi-heavy body. Tingly all around the front, dry in the back.
Overall. I think I like its feel best, then its aroma. Nice taste, but not its salient attribute.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

Thank you germaniac for this one!
Pours a hazy copper/amber hue covered with a thin white head. Good looking beer and even better smelling. This beer has been in my fridge for at least a half a year by now and it smells incredibly fresh right out of the bottle. Floral hops jump out at you over a lightly present sweet malt.
Taste is of raw oily hops, full of fresh "green" hop flavor. This is well carbonated and lively on the tongue as the hops impart their punch.
Great IPA, once again I'm jealous I don't have access to this one more.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

From 12oz bottle poured into Pint glass.

A- Hazy amber color with lots of small bubbles running to the top. One finger head disipates quickly. Nice lacing throughout.

S- Pines, fruit, and hint of alcohol.

T- Citrusy, hoppy. Oh, very hoppy. Alcohol well hidden. Very nice, especially on a hot day.

M- Rather thick and carbonated. Nice.

D- Exceptional. Could drink this one all day. Come to think of it, I will.

3.04/5  rDev -27.4%

14 Feb 08

Had a draft at the Toronado, San Fransisco.

A: Gold with lost of rising bubbles, thin white head.

S: Full-o-citrus, low malt & esters.

T: Med malt with huge hop flavor. All US citrus and more citrus, becoming too much. . . is that Simcoe I taste? Way out of balance. A hop hammer which can be good, but usually not great.

M: Medium body with high CO2 and prickly pallet.

D: Medium to low due to lack of balance. I wonder how the hop shortage will change this beer?

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle into my pint glass. Huge foamy head that lingers leaving a loose lacing. Beautiful clear amber beer.
Smell is deep in hops, piney, citrusy, floral notes.
Taste is a great example of hops usage. Too many Pales and IPAs are one dimensional in hops taste. This bad boy really jumps around. I get grapefruit and lemon zest. I get some dry finish with a little biscuit and all hops after bite. Not a one trick pony as even a little malt hides up front giving some balance other than hops variety. I bet fresh from the tap this is even more fruity.
Mouthfeel is a little slick and a little heavy, but not horrible considering the 7% and low carbonation visible in my glass.
Drinkabliity is good. I could have another, especially on a cooler day.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Re-reviewing this since the 2nd time I drank a bottle, I didn't pour it as aggressively and had a much smaller head. I don't know if this even makes sense, but I swear I think the gigantic head hid all the hop oils and carbonation.

12 oz. bottle with no date but I'm assuming this is super fresh since it just got shipped to Tennessee yesterday.

1st Bottle: Pours a dark red/golden color with 4 fingers of a huge head. I guess I poured it too aggressively.

2nd Bottle: Poured very carefully this time and got about a half finger of head.

1st Bottle: As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell huge hop notes. Pine, mango, citrus. The smell from the glass is along those lines but much more intense.

2nd Bottle: This time the aroma wasn't as intense but still along those lines.

Taste -

1st Bottle: Very nice. Not as intense as the smell but still the same flavors in general. Hoppy but not overpowering. Has a nice malt backbone to it.

2nd bottle: Actually way more intense than the smell. The smell is actually much more muted than the flavor. Usually it's the other way around for most beers. VERY hoppy flavor. Mostly pine and just super bitter.

1st Bottle: Creamy but my only complaint is that it is slightly watery.

2nd Bottle: Very nice carbonation and not watery at all.

Overall: Great IPA. First bottle didn't blow me away but the 2nd time when I poured it carefully, the flavors really came out and didn't get trapped in the head. I never thought a pour would make this much of a difference but it made this beer much better. Maybe I'm just crazy.

A GREAT pint. This is what West Coast IPA is supposed to be. Uber-hoppy, great depth of flavour. Just looking at it after you pour it into a glass is amazing. Great looking, cloudy, smooth creamy head which stays the entire pint. These guys nailed this one down . 11/10
I've had a LOT of different pints. This is quite possibly my most fave.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a vibrant orange with a tight white head with nice lacing.

Citrusy hops with underlying biscuit and caramel.

Taste is caramel maltiness up front that turns grapefruity and citrusy, but then in the finish, you get a punch of bitter grass and herbal flavors that stay into the aftertaste. Very dry and refreshing.

Light medium body that is crisp and nicely carbonated.

Very refreshing, crisp, and not heavy despite the 7% abv. Extremely drinkable for the style and would be great in the upcomming summer months.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

12 ounce bottle, served in pint glass, purchased at Belmont Party Source in Dayton, OH.

A: Pours dark orange to amber color. Lots of head, almost 1 ½ inches on direct pour. A lot carbonation. Thick sponge like peaks of head. Good amount of lacing on the pour and a very small amount of lacing left after finishing the glass. Sign of a good malt balance.

S: Less aroma then I expected, initial hop and malt smell. Nothing very over powering or impressive about it on the initial pour. Pine and citrus notes as expected.

T: Initial malt and bitter, metallic taste followed by citrus and hop impact on the aftertaste. Very little alcohol presence, only tasted after swallow. I do not like a metallic taste in my beer, that was disappointing.

MF: Medium to thick body for a single IPA. Almost syrupy at times.

D: High APV at 7%, however I could drink a few of these in a single session. This beer is also well balanced , between the APV, the hops and the malt.

Besides Stone, this was the first experience I have had with a west coast IPA. I have to say I want to go visit California now. This beer has a good balance and just enough hops to give you a kick in the teeth when it wants to.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.