West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,870 | Ratings: 7,832
4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

Thank you germaniac for this one!
Pours a hazy copper/amber hue covered with a thin white head. Good looking beer and even better smelling. This beer has been in my fridge for at least a half a year by now and it smells incredibly fresh right out of the bottle. Floral hops jump out at you over a lightly present sweet malt.
Taste is of raw oily hops, full of fresh "green" hop flavor. This is well carbonated and lively on the tongue as the hops impart their punch.
Great IPA, once again I'm jealous I don't have access to this one more.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

From 12oz bottle poured into Pint glass.

A- Hazy amber color with lots of small bubbles running to the top. One finger head disipates quickly. Nice lacing throughout.

S- Pines, fruit, and hint of alcohol.

T- Citrusy, hoppy. Oh, very hoppy. Alcohol well hidden. Very nice, especially on a hot day.

M- Rather thick and carbonated. Nice.

D- Exceptional. Could drink this one all day. Come to think of it, I will.
Cheers,
Scott

3.04/5  rDev -27.4%

14 Feb 08

Had a draft at the Toronado, San Fransisco.

A: Gold with lost of rising bubbles, thin white head.

S: Full-o-citrus, low malt & esters.

T: Med malt with huge hop flavor. All US citrus and more citrus, becoming too much. . . is that Simcoe I taste? Way out of balance. A hop hammer which can be good, but usually not great.

M: Medium body with high CO2 and prickly pallet.

D: Medium to low due to lack of balance. I wonder how the hop shortage will change this beer?

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle into my pint glass. Huge foamy head that lingers leaving a loose lacing. Beautiful clear amber beer.
Smell is deep in hops, piney, citrusy, floral notes.
Taste is a great example of hops usage. Too many Pales and IPAs are one dimensional in hops taste. This bad boy really jumps around. I get grapefruit and lemon zest. I get some dry finish with a little biscuit and all hops after bite. Not a one trick pony as even a little malt hides up front giving some balance other than hops variety. I bet fresh from the tap this is even more fruity.
Mouthfeel is a little slick and a little heavy, but not horrible considering the 7% and low carbonation visible in my glass.
Drinkabliity is good. I could have another, especially on a cooler day.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Re-reviewing this since the 2nd time I drank a bottle, I didn't pour it as aggressively and had a much smaller head. I don't know if this even makes sense, but I swear I think the gigantic head hid all the hop oils and carbonation.

12 oz. bottle with no date but I'm assuming this is super fresh since it just got shipped to Tennessee yesterday.

Appearance:

1st Bottle: Pours a dark red/golden color with 4 fingers of a huge head. I guess I poured it too aggressively.

2nd Bottle: Poured very carefully this time and got about a half finger of head.

Smell:

1st Bottle: As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell huge hop notes. Pine, mango, citrus. The smell from the glass is along those lines but much more intense.

2nd Bottle: This time the aroma wasn't as intense but still along those lines.

Taste -

1st Bottle: Very nice. Not as intense as the smell but still the same flavors in general. Hoppy but not overpowering. Has a nice malt backbone to it.

2nd bottle: Actually way more intense than the smell. The smell is actually much more muted than the flavor. Usually it's the other way around for most beers. VERY hoppy flavor. Mostly pine and just super bitter.

Mouthfeel:

1st Bottle: Creamy but my only complaint is that it is slightly watery.

2nd Bottle: Very nice carbonation and not watery at all.

Overall: Great IPA. First bottle didn't blow me away but the 2nd time when I poured it carefully, the flavors really came out and didn't get trapped in the head. I never thought a pour would make this much of a difference but it made this beer much better. Maybe I'm just crazy.

A GREAT pint. This is what West Coast IPA is supposed to be. Uber-hoppy, great depth of flavour. Just looking at it after you pour it into a glass is amazing. Great looking, cloudy, smooth creamy head which stays the entire pint. These guys nailed this one down . 11/10
I've had a LOT of different pints. This is quite possibly my most fave.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a vibrant orange with a tight white head with nice lacing.

Citrusy hops with underlying biscuit and caramel.

Taste is caramel maltiness up front that turns grapefruity and citrusy, but then in the finish, you get a punch of bitter grass and herbal flavors that stay into the aftertaste. Very dry and refreshing.

Light medium body that is crisp and nicely carbonated.

Very refreshing, crisp, and not heavy despite the 7% abv. Extremely drinkable for the style and would be great in the upcomming summer months.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

12 ounce bottle, served in pint glass, purchased at Belmont Party Source in Dayton, OH.

A: Pours dark orange to amber color. Lots of head, almost 1 ½ inches on direct pour. A lot carbonation. Thick sponge like peaks of head. Good amount of lacing on the pour and a very small amount of lacing left after finishing the glass. Sign of a good malt balance.

S: Less aroma then I expected, initial hop and malt smell. Nothing very over powering or impressive about it on the initial pour. Pine and citrus notes as expected.

T: Initial malt and bitter, metallic taste followed by citrus and hop impact on the aftertaste. Very little alcohol presence, only tasted after swallow. I do not like a metallic taste in my beer, that was disappointing.

MF: Medium to thick body for a single IPA. Almost syrupy at times.

D: High APV at 7%, however I could drink a few of these in a single session. This beer is also well balanced , between the APV, the hops and the malt.

Besides Stone, this was the first experience I have had with a west coast IPA. I have to say I want to go visit California now. This beer has a good balance and just enough hops to give you a kick in the teeth when it wants to.

I really couldn't get over how much this one smelled like marijuana. I retired 10 years ago, but you can't mistake that smell. Terrific flavor. Drank in a pint glass poured from a growler. Would definitely drink again.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy copper...one-finger of cream colored head...leaves a thin layer for most of the beer...lacing up to the rim of the pint glass

S - I smelled the hops as I poured this beer...very piney, hop aroma...maybe a little bit of a musty smell as well...no trace of a malt balance in the smell

T - Extremely hop forward...mostly pine, but I did get some tart grapefruit...

M - Hops stick around and coat the tongue...the bitterness really catches you in the back of the throat...a little creamier than I expected

D - A little too much of a hop-bomb for me, but I think that the drinkability is pretty high

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got my growler filled downtown at The Finger Lakes Beverage Center, where I was looking to try the Horseheads IPA but they'd just emptied that yesterday. FLBC also had a Southern Tier IPA, so I had a hard choice which to bring home. Taste test out of nasty little paper cups gave the Green Flash a clear win, though, for its aroma, taste, mouthfeel and aftertaste all good even out of paper. Aftertaste of the two IPAs lingered half-way up East Hill bike-ride: a perfect varnish of happy hopping, not the cottonmouth hop haters complain about but rather an Egyptian mummification of well-preserved mouth feelings. Maybe I'd been swishing them all around my tongue too much, but such taste makes me want to have my ale and drink it too.

Back home out of the growler (after lunch and a nap and a few hours chores as growler chilled in fridge), this poured a rather anemic, quickly dwindling head that left very little lace. Amber a 13 on my SRM color chart is cloudy, so at least I like the turbidity if not the head. Excellent carbonation keeps a few teensy foam rafts floating.

Smells all of hops, and lots of different floral citrus pine and turpentine goodness.

Taste whacks palate from all sides with delish crisp hop bitters and blossoms. Reminds me of picking our own hops vine last summer as fresh bud beauty hits my IPA nerves. This is the well-tuned chord of various hop varieties harmonizing cosmically, maybe there's a bit of malt in mouth someplace, but who cares. Aftertaste continues in the rich vein of hops happening and not going away.

If I lived on west coast, this would be drinkable. Even given the horrible dose of diesel it takes to ship Green Flash all the way out here, I couldn't help preferring this to some way more nearby neighborhood IPAs.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The color of this one is a very bright orange color with a nice inch and a half of foam that receded pretty fast and left some nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell of this one is a grassy grapefruit smell with a dash of pine.

The taste of this one is pretty hop forward with a great hop bitterness followed by the citrus and grass that was present in the nose. It was perfectly bitter in my opinion and a perfect hop fix for me.

The mouthfeel of this one was pretty carbonated and bubbly with a dryish feel.

Overall this IPA was a good one and to me it falls in the category of nice and bitter versus the crisp and refreshing less bitter IPA selections.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a some what clear amber color. Head is offwhite. Good lacing on glass.

Smell Citrus, Grapefruit, slight sweet malt smell but very faint.

Taste Wow the hops, the great hops. Grapefruit tasting with sweetness in the mouth. Nice simple bitterness in the finish. Let me just say I love this beer, I really think this is one of the best beers in a bottle I have ever had. I just love the hops and tangy flavor of this beer with the slight sweetness and bitter finish. This is a hop head beer.

Mouthful The array of different flavors and textures make this superb for the mouth. Feed me feed me.

Drinkability: My goodness I could drink this stuff all day and not try any other beer. Just love this stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on draught at Deep Ellum. Lots of sweet malts are balanced out by the classic assault of juicy, piney hops. The color is medium, hazy, looks packed full of HOPPY GOODNESS. A nice thick head didn't want to go anywhere. So I drank it. Circles of lovely lace ringed the glass. This is one of my absolute favorite go to beers. When I lived in CA I got hooked. Glad I can get it here, and fresh on draught at that!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Green Flash does it again! From the double imperial stout all the way to the other end of the spectrum... Green Flash is one of my favorite brewers! However, if you don't like hops, you might want to stay away from this one!!!

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Taken from notes. Consumed on 10-7-08

A: Medium amber, 1 finger off-white head. Good head retention. Slightly hazy. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pine, sweet malts. Very nice.

T: Grapefruit, citrus hops. Very bitter with a nice malt backbone. Bitter throughout. Malt mostly in the back. Could be more balanced in my view.

M: Slightly thick. Coats mouth nicely. Overall, very good.

D: Smooth, slightly unbalanced. Goes down well. Very solid brew.

poured from a bottle to a clear pint glass: yields a fluffy 2-finger head with hangs around, and then reduces to a thin layer of foam. the body is a nice light amber color that is cloudy and has sediment kicking around in it. lacing hangs around the glass.

ah, west coast IPA... pine... citrus (aka grapefruit)... and all around pungent. nice.

the taste is very similar to the smell as one might know. upfront hops try to yield to some maltiness, but then is simply smashed into the ground by more hops. more than enough bitterness in this sticky IPA, with the aforementioned aroma qualities of pine, citrus, earth, and all around bitter / pungent flavors. dry, but not super-dry. it's good... if you like the hops!

medium-light body, and a bit slick and oily from all those hops. the bitterness is enhanced by the prickling carbonation.

very drinkable... but only if you like this 95 ibu type of beer. i can have more than one, but could i have say, a malty lager after this? probably not. ok, i could but i don't think i'd taste much of it. this is another "sandpaper the tongue" type beer... which is fine with me!

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks Remilamy for this bottle from your trip to the "West Coast".

A - Darker than expected but not too dark for style. 2 finger head with good scattered lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
S - Grassy hops, lots of aroma hops.
T - Piney up front. Thin malt bill, but good. Some follow up skunkiness with some alcohol.
M - Good heavy carbonation, but good be a bit thicker with malting.
D - Thinner than Maharaja so you could get down a little more.

I'd almost call this a double IPA. Over 7% with almost 100 IBU's. But I guess "West Coast" IPA implies the 'double'.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

WOW !!.... This brewery has done it again.... This is truly an amazing I.P.A... Everything you want as a "hop-head".... As I pour a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a nice healthy head forms over a hazy dark orange/amber colored brew....

I take a whiff, and scents of deep sour citrus hit the nose initially.... Like that of grapefruit, lemon, and orange.... There's also malty caramel notes to it....

I sip on it awhile, and I get an upfront super hoppy flavor followed by grapefruit, orange, and a some bitterness....

I'd say it's a medium to full bodied brew that's quite dry on the finish, but what more would you expect from a wonderful I.P.A...

Overall, I must say (as a hop-head) that the Green Flash Brewery continues to impress.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Having had my fair share of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for the past three months, I felt it was time to move on. Since I'm a huge IPA fan, I decided to try Green Flash, which is brewed only about 45 miles away in Vista, CA.

The beer's appearance in the bottle was a bit cloudy. I wondered if it was old, but after opening, pouring, and drinking that thought quickly went away.

The beer poured very well into a pint glass, and even as I drink it now with half remaining it still has a very delicate, frothy ring around the glass. It leaves a nice lace as you drink, also. The initial taste is very fruity, then a hop bitterness at the end followed by a smokiness that is more characteristic of a scottish ale. The more I drink this beer, the more I like it!

The West Coast IPA is a pretty standard West Coast IPA. Hops are blended nicely without too much harsh astringency, but in the end, it's the same grapefruit and resin aromas we all know by heart.

Malt is 2-row and caramel.

Medium body

~ 2.5 V carbonation

A great beer, and I've heard it won some awards, but you could probably make something similar at home with your eyes closed.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick, fluffy off-white head head lays on top of a dark, almost opaque ruby orange. Pieces of lace hold on to the glass as the two finger head becomes a one finger head.

Aroma is citrus all the way. Grapefruit and lemon zest dominate, with some piney earth notes coming through gently.

Taste follows the nose in the beginning. Really really fruity. The end is super hop centered, and the aftertaste feels like I'm sucking on a pinecone.

A mild to light mouthfeel, really crisp with mild carbonation. Despite the strong aftertaste, the beer doesn't stay with you that long. Hides the ABV really well, and I could definitely see myself getting in trouble with this beer at a BBQ.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What's the point in reviewing this beer??? Everybody knows it's one of the best IPA's out there. As a matter of fact, if its from Green Flash, you know it's going to be awesome! But seriously, if you are an IPA lover like me, this should be a staple in your fidge.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A-Clear copper with a big foamy off-white head. Head stays for a decent period, but not terribly long. Lacing remains with big chunks on the side of the glass. Poured in some sediment that I wasn't expecting to be in the bottle.

S-Hops are very prominent with a hint of malt sweetness. There is also a nice fresh fruit smell in there too.

T-A slight hint of sweet malts followed by an assertive bitter hop kick. The mouthful actually manages to finish sweet with some fruity notes from the hops. Could be described as citrus, but almost has a melon-like quality to it.

M-Pretty full mouthfeel with low moderate carbonation. FInishes with a good combo of slightly sweet from the fruitiness and slightly astringent from the hops. This is very pleasant.

O-Very balanced and spot-on for the style. A touch of complexity added with fruit. Great stuff, give me another.

4.96/5  rDev +18.4%

A- dark golden copper color.

S- nice hoppiness, pine, floral, sweet citrus.

T- huge dank hops and pine when you first sip. Citrus, good floral, grapefruit, mango, and burnt bready malt.

M- medium bodied and good carbonation. Refreshing.

O- a truly fantastic DIPA. I really enjoy this brew. Definitely up there on my list.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.