West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,854 | Ratings: 7,773

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

The color of this one is a very bright orange color with a nice inch and a half of foam that receded pretty fast and left some nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell of this one is a grassy grapefruit smell with a dash of pine.

The taste of this one is pretty hop forward with a great hop bitterness followed by the citrus and grass that was present in the nose. It was perfectly bitter in my opinion and a perfect hop fix for me.

The mouthfeel of this one was pretty carbonated and bubbly with a dryish feel.

Overall this IPA was a good one and to me it falls in the category of nice and bitter versus the crisp and refreshing less bitter IPA selections.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a some what clear amber color. Head is offwhite. Good lacing on glass.

Smell Citrus, Grapefruit, slight sweet malt smell but very faint.

Taste Wow the hops, the great hops. Grapefruit tasting with sweetness in the mouth. Nice simple bitterness in the finish. Let me just say I love this beer, I really think this is one of the best beers in a bottle I have ever had. I just love the hops and tangy flavor of this beer with the slight sweetness and bitter finish. This is a hop head beer.

Mouthful The array of different flavors and textures make this superb for the mouth. Feed me feed me.

Drinkability: My goodness I could drink this stuff all day and not try any other beer. Just love this stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on draught at Deep Ellum. Lots of sweet malts are balanced out by the classic assault of juicy, piney hops. The color is medium, hazy, looks packed full of HOPPY GOODNESS. A nice thick head didn't want to go anywhere. So I drank it. Circles of lovely lace ringed the glass. This is one of my absolute favorite go to beers. When I lived in CA I got hooked. Glad I can get it here, and fresh on draught at that!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Green Flash does it again! From the double imperial stout all the way to the other end of the spectrum... Green Flash is one of my favorite brewers! However, if you don't like hops, you might want to stay away from this one!!!

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Taken from notes. Consumed on 10-7-08

A: Medium amber, 1 finger off-white head. Good head retention. Slightly hazy. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pine, sweet malts. Very nice.

T: Grapefruit, citrus hops. Very bitter with a nice malt backbone. Bitter throughout. Malt mostly in the back. Could be more balanced in my view.

M: Slightly thick. Coats mouth nicely. Overall, very good.

D: Smooth, slightly unbalanced. Goes down well. Very solid brew.

poured from a bottle to a clear pint glass: yields a fluffy 2-finger head with hangs around, and then reduces to a thin layer of foam. the body is a nice light amber color that is cloudy and has sediment kicking around in it. lacing hangs around the glass.

ah, west coast IPA... pine... citrus (aka grapefruit)... and all around pungent. nice.

the taste is very similar to the smell as one might know. upfront hops try to yield to some maltiness, but then is simply smashed into the ground by more hops. more than enough bitterness in this sticky IPA, with the aforementioned aroma qualities of pine, citrus, earth, and all around bitter / pungent flavors. dry, but not super-dry. it's good... if you like the hops!

medium-light body, and a bit slick and oily from all those hops. the bitterness is enhanced by the prickling carbonation.

very drinkable... but only if you like this 95 ibu type of beer. i can have more than one, but could i have say, a malty lager after this? probably not. ok, i could but i don't think i'd taste much of it. this is another "sandpaper the tongue" type beer... which is fine with me!

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks Remilamy for this bottle from your trip to the "West Coast".

A - Darker than expected but not too dark for style. 2 finger head with good scattered lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
S - Grassy hops, lots of aroma hops.
T - Piney up front. Thin malt bill, but good. Some follow up skunkiness with some alcohol.
M - Good heavy carbonation, but good be a bit thicker with malting.
D - Thinner than Maharaja so you could get down a little more.

I'd almost call this a double IPA. Over 7% with almost 100 IBU's. But I guess "West Coast" IPA implies the 'double'.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

WOW !!.... This brewery has done it again.... This is truly an amazing I.P.A... Everything you want as a "hop-head".... As I pour a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a nice healthy head forms over a hazy dark orange/amber colored brew....

I take a whiff, and scents of deep sour citrus hit the nose initially.... Like that of grapefruit, lemon, and orange.... There's also malty caramel notes to it....

I sip on it awhile, and I get an upfront super hoppy flavor followed by grapefruit, orange, and a some bitterness....

I'd say it's a medium to full bodied brew that's quite dry on the finish, but what more would you expect from a wonderful I.P.A...

Overall, I must say (as a hop-head) that the Green Flash Brewery continues to impress.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Having had my fair share of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for the past three months, I felt it was time to move on. Since I'm a huge IPA fan, I decided to try Green Flash, which is brewed only about 45 miles away in Vista, CA.

The beer's appearance in the bottle was a bit cloudy. I wondered if it was old, but after opening, pouring, and drinking that thought quickly went away.

The beer poured very well into a pint glass, and even as I drink it now with half remaining it still has a very delicate, frothy ring around the glass. It leaves a nice lace as you drink, also. The initial taste is very fruity, then a hop bitterness at the end followed by a smokiness that is more characteristic of a scottish ale. The more I drink this beer, the more I like it!

The West Coast IPA is a pretty standard West Coast IPA. Hops are blended nicely without too much harsh astringency, but in the end, it's the same grapefruit and resin aromas we all know by heart.

Malt is 2-row and caramel.

Medium body

~ 2.5 V carbonation

A great beer, and I've heard it won some awards, but you could probably make something similar at home with your eyes closed.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick, fluffy off-white head head lays on top of a dark, almost opaque ruby orange. Pieces of lace hold on to the glass as the two finger head becomes a one finger head.

Aroma is citrus all the way. Grapefruit and lemon zest dominate, with some piney earth notes coming through gently.

Taste follows the nose in the beginning. Really really fruity. The end is super hop centered, and the aftertaste feels like I'm sucking on a pinecone.

A mild to light mouthfeel, really crisp with mild carbonation. Despite the strong aftertaste, the beer doesn't stay with you that long. Hides the ABV really well, and I could definitely see myself getting in trouble with this beer at a BBQ.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What's the point in reviewing this beer??? Everybody knows it's one of the best IPA's out there. As a matter of fact, if its from Green Flash, you know it's going to be awesome! But seriously, if you are an IPA lover like me, this should be a staple in your fidge.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A-Clear copper with a big foamy off-white head. Head stays for a decent period, but not terribly long. Lacing remains with big chunks on the side of the glass. Poured in some sediment that I wasn't expecting to be in the bottle.

S-Hops are very prominent with a hint of malt sweetness. There is also a nice fresh fruit smell in there too.

T-A slight hint of sweet malts followed by an assertive bitter hop kick. The mouthful actually manages to finish sweet with some fruity notes from the hops. Could be described as citrus, but almost has a melon-like quality to it.

M-Pretty full mouthfeel with low moderate carbonation. FInishes with a good combo of slightly sweet from the fruitiness and slightly astringent from the hops. This is very pleasant.

O-Very balanced and spot-on for the style. A touch of complexity added with fruit. Great stuff, give me another.

4.96/5  rDev +18.4%

A- dark golden copper color.

S- nice hoppiness, pine, floral, sweet citrus.

T- huge dank hops and pine when you first sip. Citrus, good floral, grapefruit, mango, and burnt bready malt.

M- medium bodied and good carbonation. Refreshing.

O- a truly fantastic DIPA. I really enjoy this brew. Definitely up there on my list.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a little cloudy. Light copper. Huge lasting head and plenty of intricate lacing.

Wonderful blended aroma of floral hops, resinous grassy herb, pine, grapefruit, you name it. This has a great nose.

Taste is a little tame comparatively but still solid. Lighter on the grapefruit, heavier on the grass, more flat out bitter than anything else.

served in a flute pint glass

a- light amber, orange hints, huge inch frothy head, with hop or yeast particles floating inside,what a nice head (getting intimate) pillow soft, head lasts for ever

s- wow, just like an ipa should smell like...big wave of grapefruit, topical paradise, some hints of pine and floral, definetely smell a sweet pale malt backbne

t-holy hops!!! tropical grapefruit at the beginning then lingers to a bitter pine and then back to sitting on a beach with tropical fruits. this is what an ipa should taste like!!! all hops barely any malt..ends with a nice bitter alcohol sting to let you know it is there,
m- so smooth and delectable

d- all day, i think i downed this beer in mins

best beer in a while!! what a surprise never heard of this one.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A fresh growler poured into a pint glass

An aggressive pour delivers two fingers of white fluffy head resting proudly atop an amber colored ale. Lacing galore as the head falls to a thin cap that maintains for the remainder. A tint of gold is revealed when held to the light. Truly a beauty of an IPA and strangely dark for an ale boasting West Coast in the name. Sweet candy hops come through in the nose highlighted with light floral aromas. The hops become stronger as the ale draws closer to room temperature. Orange and grapefruit become more and more prevalent. The tip of the tongue gets a nice treat of sweet grain and hop resins. The pallet becomes coated boldly with hop oils of bitterness. Sticky hops lasting in the after taste proving worthy of the west coast name. The very slight evidence of caramel remain dry but pay homage to the style. West Coast IPA is quite a quaffer, but heed the 7% ABV dong your best not to kill the entire growler to you can still respect beer. Tonight is a week night and I shared this one with a very grateful fellow BA brother.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

I've passed this one by far too long. Huge fluffy white head when poured into a Duvel tulip, slightly hazy burnt orange color really looks inviting. The sharp piney aromas are really nice, with grapefruit zest and spicy overtones but hardly any malt aromas, just a bare breadiness.

This is one hell of a hop bomb for single IPA. Floral, citrus hops come forward strong and clear with a toasted bread maltiness making a brief appearance before spicier hops shove it out of the way. Long finish, with a very complex hop character.

Ever so slightly syrupy, almost delicate carbonation, and sharp bitterness make for a very enjoyable sip that. I don't find this very quaffable, there is too much going on with too much intensity, but this is still a joy to drink.

This was one of the Best IPAs I've ever had. Really great, citrusy hop profile, a great example of the West Coast IPA.

Appearance: Somewhat dark for an IPA, sort of an burnt orange color. Not a lot of head and pretty much no lacing.

Smell: Great. You get the hops and the citrus right off the bat, but it's clear that there's enough malt here to balance.

Taste: As the label of the beer says, this beer is "Extravagantly Hopped." The citrus is enough to balance the bitterness, but if you shy away from more dry beers this wouldn't be for you.

Mouthfeel: Really nice, pretty thick mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Not the smoothest beer ever, but at 7.3% ABV this isn't meant to be a smooth session beer anyways.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice copper tone. Pour had a nice head to it. Perfect about of bitterness. I personally would like a little more hoppiness but still an awesome beer .

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%

Average ipa, citra centric, good aroma ma poor taste profile. Good bitternes ar the end but not much tropical notes that i expected in a Dipa like this. I had better feeling with old version, normal ipa but maximal flavour.

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful double ipa. Poured into tulip glass. 1 finger head, nice orange color. Hops smack you on first smell with pine and citrus notes. Taste is some malt presence first with west coast hops through remainder. Legendary ipa

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A
Cloudy, orange/brown... looks good.

S
Amazing smell. Green Flash has figured out how to make a Pale smell good. I don't think anyone else can match their smell. The perfect hoppy-sweet mixture.

T
My only complaint... too much hops! I love it. Hop city. It is a great blend of hops and sweet malt... but almost too much hops. But the flavor profile is dead on what I'd expect from an IPA named "West Coast." Great job Green Flash.

MF
It is quite rude to my mouth. Very bitter and a little acidic in mouth feel... but not bad. I'd love to side-by-side taste this against SN's Torpedo.

D
I used to really love the GF West Coast IPA. Actually, I still do on a one 12oz bottle matchup at a time... I can only drink one of these. I've even had a 5 gallon keg of this at my house and loved it at first but soon felt it was too hoppy. Now, give me a 5 gallon of Blind Pig or Pliny and I'd have a different story. Or, even Stone's IPA.

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a great experience. I wouldn't buy it and drink it every week... but it is so much fun to share with friends and talk about how Green Flash makes great hoppy beers.

Cheers to Green Flash.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

First time i have had this in awhile

A: Great looking beer, nice copper color and 2 finger cream colored head.

S: Citrus and pine, not as strong as i would like but good. I know GF puts the bottled on date on the cartons but i couldn't find it. My guess is this isn't past it's prime FWIW.

T:It has the perfect amount of bitterness for me, finishes dry, grapefruit is prodominant

M: Medium, carbonation is about right

O: Overall this is a good/very good IPA. Bottom line, it's too pricey. This is the first time i have seen it in my area and i wanted to revisit it after all the backlash on GF going to 4pks etc. and uping their pricing. If you like good IPA's i would recommend this for sure, i just think its way overpriced.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Pours a very hazy orangish/golden with about one finger of fluffy off white head. Nice lacing as I drink this one.

Aroma is KILLER! Big citrus hops, bright and bold. Grapefruit, spices, fresh cut grass, pine, so much going on here. Super fresh aroma, one of the best aromas on a beer that I have ever encountered.

Taste is much like the aroma. Big citrus hopps make an impression on the palate at first, smoothed out with a bit of maltiness but back to the bitterness from the hops in the finish. Lots of different hop varieties make the taste a cornucopia of pine, grass, citrus, just amazing.

Very good mouthfeel, just a bit too much carbonation for my tastes but it doesn't take away from it much. Bitter finish is totally expected from such hoppy goodness. I could drink this all day but I fear I would be on the floor after a couple due to the ABV. Just a plain outstanding IPA.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.