West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 7,863 |  Reviews: 1,882

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Green Flash's West Coast IPA last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I didn't have the best first impression of Green Flash and I wasn't a big fan of Palate Wrecker and I hope this one turns out better, so lets see how it goes. The best by date was almost completely rubbed off, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's got that typical Green Flash design, it's pretty simple and not too eye catching. It poured a hazy orange/amber color that took on more of a darker orange and ruby color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice floral, tropical fruit, and citrus hops aromas with the fruity hops seeming to stick out the most and there's just a slight green onion like hop aspect that barely showed up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, sweet malt, bready and cracker like malt aromas with a very light amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it had a nice balance to it and I enjoyed the hop profile.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but there's also some piney flavors that show up and all the aspects seem to show up pretty evenly. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice grainy, light sweet malt, bready, and bread crust like flavors with just a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's low amount of high bitterness that's on the border of being medium bitter and there's some lingering bitterness, citrus hops and grainy malts in the aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish it was as juicy as the aroma was.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp. on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice, but it was a little on the thick side.

Overall I thought this was a pretty a nice beer and a pretty standard and nice example of a West Coast IPA, it seemed to be pretty inline with the style, but it lacked that juiciness and brightness that some of the better ones seem to have, but I still thought it was very solid for what it is. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these, but that would probably be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good and they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that the taste wasn't a little more juicy and bright. I don't think I would buy this again, it's a little pricey for what you get and there's more than a few west coast style IPA's that I like more. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style. I'm still not sold on Green Flash, but this wasn't a bad beer at all and I thought it was pretty solid for what they were going for. Nice work guys, keep up the solid work. So far this is my favorite Green Flash beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

All you want from a DIPA Westcoast style. All the hops aroma and taste. Strong bitterness and to my personal dissapointnent not enough caramel malt for blance. Still very good. BTW this is the local Belgium brewed version.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.