West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 7,886 |  Reviews: 1,886

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was one of my favorite IPAs when I first got into craft beer a couple years ago. Since then, I've strayed away. Stopped in Whole Foods today and decided catch up with an old friend. Bottle says to enjoy by 6/17/14. I see no need to wait that long.

A- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. A finger-and-a-half of off-white head dissipates slowly and leaves it's mark on the glass. This is a beautiful beer, in my opinion. A deep amber that seems to glow. Carbonation rises throughout the whole drinking experience.

S- This beer is decently malt-forward, especially for a West Coast IPA. But this is balanced well by grapefruit, lemon zest, grassiness and some faint notes of pine. As it warms, more of the juicy fruit scents come to the fore. Good balance.

T- Great hop bitterness, balanced very well with the caramel from the malt. I really enjoy the faint sweetness that complements the bitterness. However, the waves of hop flavor are what I love about this beer. Thumbs up.

O- I've been reminded of what kept me coming to this beer in the first place. Great balance, and a great value for such a damn good beer. I've enjoyed getting reacquainted with my old friend. Good news? I have 3 more left.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.