West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer
4.22 w/ 7,905 ratings

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV

4.5

Ratings: 7,905 |  Reviews: 1,890

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

One of my favorites. Excellent example of an investment grade ipa. Plain old piney hoppy goodness. I keep coming back to this one. No bs, straight forward pallet slamming first string all-star. Plus the wife hates it. Top 3 of my favorite brews. If I was ever stranded on an island, I would want a black angus cow, a lawn chair and a keg of this.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

a: Nearly clear amber, two finger head dissipated slowly to a thick white foam film and heavy, fairly even lacing.

s: Moderate citrus and pine.

t: Piney hops hit your tongue with a green flash tidal wave of flavor!

m: Moderate heft with continued hop assault on the tongue.

o: A powerful IPA with an emphasis on bitter hops. Not as pleasant as Double Jack or Ruination, but well above moderate vis-a-vis hop bite. I'll have to check my tongue after to see if it's bleeding. I'm kidding. But it's gotta be high on any hophead's list of choices.

Ninety-nine bottles of different beers in my BA portfolio in two months. #100 and probably also 101 coming tomorrow!

UPDATE 9/8/14: Bought another bottle because a hophead friend says the recipe is different and improved. Couldn't find any bottling date info on this, although there is a space for a "Best by" date on the bottom right of the label. Shame on you Green Flash.

I did not find this incarnation significantly different from previous, although I would describe the head as off-white. By now I am much more experienced in DIPA drinking and did not find this meriting the rather extreme statements I had made about the hop bite a year ago. It's still very good, but I prefer either a citrus-dominated or caramel malty DIPA, the latter well represented by Green Flash's Palate Wrecker.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91.7% out of 100 with 7,905 ratings