West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer
4.22 w/ 7,905 ratings

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV

Alströms:
4.5

Ratings: 7,905 |  Reviews: 1,890

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy amber color. Decent head. Good retention and lacing. Nice piney, citrus malty aroma. Bready with strong piney hop and caramel malts. Medium body. Slightly astringent aftertaste.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Poured into a pint glass. Crystal clear amber with three fingers of heavy off white head. Great retention and very little lacing.

S - Lotsa citrus.

T - Strong punch of bitters; lemon/lime, grapefruit, pine and floral. Definitely delivers on the name as being a west coast IPA. Malts not too apparent, the hops clearly taking center stage. And a good bite of alcohol.

M - Medium/light body and very dry. Moderate amount of carbonation. This felt a bit watery for my liking and could have used a stronger malt backbone to balance the bitters.

O - I can't get enough of the west coast IPAs so I must admit I am biased. This isn't my favorite IPA but I enjoy the unapologetic hoppyness of this beer. If this had more body I would be truly enamored. I'm sure to buy this again.

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

Take my review with a grain of salt as A) Im 3000+ miles from the brewery and B) the bottle I poured from has no born on date so creation knows how old this bottle may be. Anyway, here goes...

A - Poured a medium honey gold color, hazy from unfiltration. Particles present, very small and not unpleasant.

S - VERY malty. Hop presence not very notable to be honest. What I could detect seemed mildy piny.

T - For the traditionalist this is an outstanding IPA. But when I think "West Coast IPA" I think of a bursting hop presence with very little malt backbone. So to me, this was a bit too malty to leave me wanting more than the bomber I had. But hey, thats just me.

M - This was the best part of the beer for me. Nice thick - but not too much - mouthfeel with a very smooth finish. Very dry.

O - Overall, Id say its okay. I do say that with much reservation however. I would very much like to try it in the SoCal area on tap, where I know its fresh. This beer's reputation preceded it upon buying the bottle and frankly I was disappointed. Not by the beer as a whole, just seems put in the wrong category.

**Also worthy of note is that what I drank also has a different label. It was purple and came in the 22 0z. bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91.7% out of 100 with 7,905 ratings