West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer
4.22 w/ 7,905 ratings

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV

Alströms:
4.5

Ratings: 7,905 |  Reviews: 1,890
4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Discovered this beer at Jack Doyle's 240 W. 35th St NYC. I love IPA's and I loved this beer as did the friend I was with. I prefer my IPA's not too citrusy and this wasn't. It was just perfect.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

Very hop forward. If want your tongue to sting this is it.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

4.09/5  rDev -3.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

330ml bottle poured into a teku glass.

Hazy amber copper color, the pour quickly builds up thick creamy off-white head that well retains itself with good retention before gradually subsiding to a long-lasting bubble sheet atop and leaving some lacing on the glass-side.

Big tropical and pungent hop in a nose, it ranges from passion fruit, grapefruit, pomelo, lemon rind, spice, floral, herbal, earthy, dank, pine, and resin. Malt is also there underneath the hoppy layer with notes of biscuit and some sweet caramel malt.

Hop takes the lead and wholly coats the taste buds with its tropical fruit, passion fruit, grapefruit, lemon rind, pomelo, spice, herbal, earthy, dank, pine, resin, and solid bitterness while malt plays in the undertone with its biscuit and caramel. The end and aftertaste is wrapped up and lasting with woody, pungent, and earthy hop bitterness.

The body is rather full with some bold touch through the palate. The mouthfeel is smooth with its good crispness and lively carbonation that is proper to carry all the things well. Finish is pleasantly dry.

Let’s the name speaks its quality. The true west coast IPA.

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Aroma: prominent grapefruit, floral notes, pine, and some malt. Taste is aggressively bitter with more grapefruit, citrus rind, a resiny aftertaste, and a subdued malt backdrop. That's one bitter beer! The bitterness and a hot alcohol burn persist after drinking. A bold, brash, west coast DIPA.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my very favorite West Coast DIPAs -- big, bold and bitter. For hopheads like me, this IS the Holy Grail. Simcoe, Columbus, Cascade, Centennial and Citra hops. Tropical fruits, grapefruit, floral, pine and citrus zests complimented by a moderate malt backbone. Here's bottom line -- this is one damn good West Coast DIPA. Best price that I've found for bombers is $5/bomber (buy 4 or more) at my local Smart-N-Final here in California.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is one dynamite benchmark West Coast IPA. Green Flash has definately struck gold,with this IPA which is just exploding with hop flavor. The Simcoe adds a wonderful tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. This beer is almost so good it should be reserved for special times but I will be drinking often.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes taken 03/11/17:

Copper-amber and would be clear but for various darkening swirls and striations of fine cloudy haze. Head of orange/yellow tinted cream color, foamy and substantial, somewhat rocky, great retention and patches of lace. Nose of apricots, caramel, faint pineapple, some grains. It’s great, but I can tell from experience it means the rest is probably going to be too much. Palate is also fairly tropical but crashes fast and hard into leather, unsweetened tea, perfume, and soap. Cloying but also puckering with a bizarre meld of fruit and wince-inducing bitterness. Certainly drinkable in sips and a wonderful change of pace from normal fare. Still, not a great balance, but that’s expected for anything specifically labeled “West Coast” apart from maybe a Lager or something quite dark. Even the peppery retro-olfaction I enjoy in this sort of beer is more subdued than it should be. Medium to nearly full in body, syrupy, astringent, with softer, sparser suds. Somewhat warm but well-hidden in the astringency and bitterness. Compare to Palate Wrecker from the same brewery and also an Imperial IPA though closing in on Strong Ale levels of malt and booze. This one here is prettier to look at, but is geared toward a palate more appreciative of an overload of sheer dankness than my own.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My first review on this sucked, so let me retry again. Golden-orange body with a small easily dissipating head. Bought from HEB in a single in Texas, sadly they don't refrigerate. Mostly just a soury-malt combo.

Smell is lackluster on this example, nothing to rave about here. Almost nothing present at all - I got my nose wet trying to smell the beer.

Taste is pretty good, certainly better than the smell. A refreshing balance of hops with a completely hidden alcohol character. Props for this being such an easy drinker. The feel is like that of a "session IPA", lots of depth but still easy to pound a few back. A nice hops kick but extremely laid back. Some beers might be tough to down in 5 minutes but not this one.

Overall a pretty good beer. I apologize for my lackluster previous rating where I had a bad sample and was very judgemental. I had a decent one this time and a little more experience behind my belt.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L- It looks awesome. Pours an effervescent copper color with a frothy ivory head and sticky lacing that remain present throughout the drinking experience. It looks like it has a good bit of carbonation to it as well. I'm already psyched about this one.

S- I'm picking up a good deal of that awesome smell of hops, obviously, but the scent of tropical fruits is there (I wanna say passion fruit?) along with pine and floral notes as well. Smells wonderful, guys.

T- Woah. The hops straight up punch you in the face with the bitterness up front, which is cool, and then the taste of resin provides that even flow as you approach the tail end. The would-be boozy aftertaste, which I don't mind, is masked by the taste of citrus peel. Fellow hopheads are gonna like this one. As the Men's Warehouse dude says, "I guarantee it."

F- It's fairly bodied alright, but it's surprisingly really drinkable. I'm enjoying the bubbliness and the dry, sticky finish.

O- This has been my first beer from Green Flash, and I am excited when the weekend rolls around so I can go try their other brews. This was a unique DIPA and I highly recommend it to others.

4.56/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic Dipa. Sets a benchmark for what a west coast dipa should be. I'm lucky to be in an area where there are multiple local brewerys churning out fantastic Dipas for an IPA junkie like me. I try to keep 2 DIPAs in my Kegerator on flow as good and fresh is my goal. I have been sampling over 15 IPAs the past couple months as they are completely accessable fresh but Green Flash West coast DIPA is one I never bought, just due to the generic looking label in bombers. Well, my local brewery didn't have the brew I've been looking for weeks now and I had an empty tap sitting so I took a chance. I got a 1 month old keg and It has taken over the Beer of the month. It pours with a nice head with a nice piney smell. A deep orange color with a nice tan 3 finger head. mouth feel has that oily hoppy punch and goes down nicely with a medium feel. I even found my wife sneaking a sip as the smell to her had a hint of guava and had her curious. It has a great balance with the malt. Again, it has achieved status as the Benchmark DIPA, and will stay that way until I find one able to displace it's space on tap. As for now, I don't see that happening.

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a very reddish amber with a relatively small head of short retention and minimal lacing. Aroma is indicative of a very bitter beer, full of intense hops. The taste is very bitter upfront but also well into the finish with an intermediate maltiness in the middle to provide some balance. Smooth mouthfeel.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91.7% out of 100 with 7,905 ratings