West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,860 | Ratings: 7,803
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

A- nice hazy copper color

S- citrus some pine and defiantly hoppy

T- claims 95 IBUs but i dont fully taste it but great hoppy taste again some citrus and pine

M- light carbonation goes down smooth

D- eal drinkable i could sit down and drink a few of these

12 oz. bottle tried 21 Feb 2009.

Poured in shaker pint glass. Very large tight foamy head. Almost flat. Clear deep golden color, some sediment remains in the bottle. Aroma is soapy, perfumy, pineapple. Starts slightly astringent, orange pithy and nutty. Quickly becomes bitter, mellowing to a bittersweet finish. Aftertaste is long and lingering, slightly bitter with caramel and honey. Full body, somewhat tingly on the tongue.

Would definitely get this again.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz single purchased for me by a friend at Jungle Jim's. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass.

A: Pours a nice copper color with a very small head that dissipates quickly to a haze of bubbles. The bubbles leave sheets of lacing as the beer is consumed, but only the ring where each swallow started sticks.

S: The smell seems to be dominated by piney hop aromas that are very potent. There is a hint of citrus hop aroma mixed in. No malt aroma to be found. There is no mistaking the aroma for another style.

T: Starts out with a nice caramel malt flavor. The malt is washed away quickly with a shot of piney hop flavor. A nice overall taste profile for an IPA, but I admit the piney hop flavors are not my favorite.

M: Medium thickness and nice in mouth carbonation makes it feel creamy.

D: For the style it is pretty drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

I have had this beer so many times I have lost count. I discovered this brew a few years ago on a whim at Gulliftys in Bryn Mawr, luckily they had it on special. I have loved it ever since and i probably buy this beer more consistently than any other right now, $45 a case.

12 oz bottle. Pours a nice copper color with a 1 finger pillowy head that goes away quickly. Pine, citrus, grapefruit, floral smell. This beer is assault on your pallate with the hops. I love the bitterness. Carbonation is just right and the beer goes down very smooth. I love the hops so i find this beer to be very enjoyable and drinkable. There is a malt backbone in there but the hops definitely dominate this brew. Well done green flash.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

The best IPA I've had to date. I've tried many other beers in the style, and I'm always left asking, "where is the dam hops?"

The hops aroma hit my nose before I even finished pouring my 12oz bottle into my glass. The smell was amazing... hops, pine and grapefruit. Taste was the same. Slightly sweet initially, then you're hit with an amazing hop bomb. Not too bitter (95 IBU's as the label reads), but enough to let you know it means business.

This bear was ALL about the hops. A proper introduction to an American IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

What a great IPA. From the moment the glass landed in my hand I could smell the pine grove-pineapple plantation...no need to even raise it to my nose... huge aroma of hops, and a good looking deep amber foamy, lacey head.
Taste is initailly sweet and malty, the hops hit fast and hard and dominate with oily floral , herbal and piney goodness until the dry bitter finish. Damn , this is good. Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is just right.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Draft at Downtown Johnny Browns.

Poured hazy copper with an average frothy white head that was mostly lasting with good lacing. Moderate sour citrus hoppy aroma. Medium body with a slick texture. Heavy bitter flavor with a heavy smooth bitter finish of long duration.

A very good beer.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

A: A very deep orange auburnish color with a fluffy white head that diminishes to a thin ring around the edge and leaves some nice sticky lacing on the glass.

S: A very big piney citrusy oily hop bomb for your nose! Just a hint of maltiness hiding in the background.

T: Just like it smells. Big hop bomb in your mouth. Very oily and bitter.

M: Nice medium body that leaves your mouth with this oily thickness that lets you savor the beer even more.

D: I know 7% isn't very drinkable for a lot of people, but its around my average so I find this to be very drinkable. I will definitely buy more of this!

3.39/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a light copper color with a head that doesn't stick around for very long.

The smell is outrageous in a good way: Loads of different hops going on. Notes of pine and grapefruit, along with floral hints.

The taste was kind of a let down. There wasn't much to it except for a bitter/acrid aftertaste. It definitely doesn't live up to the aroma.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the drinkability is pretty good.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Was very excited to try this after having the Hop Head Red the other night. Pours a orangeish golden color with a decent creamy head. Smells of boldly of hops as would be expected. Taste was disappointing with a very underwhelming flavor with a tinny aftertaste. Under carbonated in my opinion for this medium bodied IPA. I wouldn't have had another of these if I had one. I will try it again to see if my taste buds were off but based on this review very average in the taste department.

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%

7.3% ABV
95 IBUS

A: Straw in color with noticeable chill haze. There is a nice spongy white head on this brew. Great retention!

S: This has one of the strongest aromas I have ever come across. Chinook hops bite into your nose, while piney centennial, and fruity cascade hops entice it.

T: Similar to biting into wet raw hops. The chinook give a great puckering bitterness, with the flavor and aroma hops lending the more delicate pine, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, and flowery flavors. Excellent.

M: Light body with a very slight oiliness. Low carbonation.

D: A hophead's dream. Extremely hoppy and quite enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle..Perfectly clear deep amber/copper coloured body with strong ruby highlights and a thinnish white head. Aroma of very fresh grassy hops along with citrus notes, perfumy notes and even more hops! Medium-bodied; Strong hop bitterness up front fading to a good malt backbone then back to some citrusy type hops. The aftertaste shows a lot of the hops with a bit of the grassyness from above and a good bit of malt. Overall, a good IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

The first time I tried this beer I must have gotten a bad bottle, because now that I've tried it again I wanted to overhaul the original review I wrote.

It pours a darker copper color with one finger of slightly off white head that dissipates to a thinner layer.

Smells of very piney and earthy hops. Slight nuances of grapefruit. No noticeable malt smell up front.

Taste is similar. Strong piney and floral hops up front. A little bit of malt in the undertone that I couldn't detect in the smell. Bitter.

Medium bodied, a little bit carbonated, slightly dry.

Is very drinkable and trying it a second time I liked it a lot better.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at the Yardhouse in Long Beach. Aroma is hop forward. There is no mistaking that it is an IPA. Color is an amber color that is clear with a nice creamy beige head. Nice lace all the way down the glass. Flavor is hop assertive with a clean malt profile of biscuits and toast. Clean finish and easy drinking. A very nice IPA.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a 6 pack at Arctic Liquors in Steamboat CO, around $11.

A: hazy bronze/copper color with an off white head about half an inch thick that recedes to a film. a few spots of lacing around the edge of the glass but not much.

S: HOPS! wow, this could be the most aromatic IPA I've smelled. This is a hoppy beer, lots of "herbal" smells, almost like fresh mint in the back country, grapefruit peel is all over the nose in this one, hops all over the place, they really crowd out any malt characteristic. This is odd, as the other bottles I've had from the pack haven't been nearly this fragrant. I like this a lot.

T: As the nose would suggest this is a very hoppy beer, citrus rind and pine are all very present, but the malt characteristic is a little more present, not so quickly pushed aside, what is there is a faint bit of sweetness up front, almost caramel like, but it gives way to citrus and pine. The bitterness is a bit much, but I really enjoy it. This lingers on the mouth a long time.

M: For as strong as this beer is, it is quite thin. I'd like to feel a bit more thickness to go with the hops, as the IBUs are definitely in solid DIPA range. A little thickness would be nice.

D: Not exactly a sessionable IPA, really a thin DIPA, the hops tend to wreck my palate after two, and everything tastes pretty bland after that. A damn good IPA if you're into hops though. Good beer all around, just not one I'd put back all night.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle (actually I am working on my second) that I got from hopsleeroy in our last trade. Served up in a tulip flared pint glass.

A: HEY!!! This poured a dark orange, almost brow color with a ton of red highlights and hues. FRANK!, its a red tinted IPA! Lots of carbonation activity in here with bubbles continously moving up in the glass. The head is a pretty thick, one finger of white head. The head has really good retention, not really fading at all over time. The lace is stupid sticky on the glass and clearly notches the glass all the way down. The stick is spot on, only slightly dripping after it sets on the glass.

S: Smell is . . . how do I describe this . . . hops?! Tons of hops. Nice citrus, grapefruit hops come out first with a bitter sweetness. Then you get some really nice pine hops coming out as well. A floral boquet rounds out the aroma nicely. Slight herbal/medicinal quality hides in the background, making you somehow feel this will be good for you.

T: Taste is much like the nose but better in translation. The grapefruit really comes out with a bitterness, slightly puckering goodness. There is also so good amount of grapefruit peel coming out as well. The pine is bitter as well, with that resiny flavor coming in beautifully. The floral presence and herbal presence is light but there. The pale, bready malt is subtle and nice light counter to all this hoppy craziness.

M: Medium bodied brew that has a pretty medium carbonation. The carbonation is pretty crisp and this is actually pretty refreshing if you get past all this hoppy bitterness. ABV is light and masked easily by all this HOPS. This beer is pretty damned sticky and really coats the mouth with a full rush of all the hop flavors described and the grapefruit and pine resting in the aftertaste.

D: This beer is pretty good. Frankly, I had to let it warm a bit because the flavor is pretty damned bitter. Warm, it is easy drinking and almost poundable. Cold, not so much. Its a bit too much at times. The hops are very well showcased in the aroma and flavor profile. If you don't like hops, this is not your beer. A few years ago, I would have hated this beer. My girlfriend was disgusted after she sampled it. It takes a slightly more developed palate to enjoy this, or someone who just plain likes bitterness. good stuff though!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A
Cloudy, orange/brown... looks good.

S
Amazing smell. Green Flash has figured out how to make a Pale smell good. I don't think anyone else can match their smell. The perfect hoppy-sweet mixture.

T
My only complaint... too much hops! I love it. Hop city. It is a great blend of hops and sweet malt... but almost too much hops. But the flavor profile is dead on what I'd expect from an IPA named "West Coast." Great job Green Flash.

MF
It is quite rude to my mouth. Very bitter and a little acidic in mouth feel... but not bad. I'd love to side-by-side taste this against SN's Torpedo.

D
I used to really love the GF West Coast IPA. Actually, I still do on a one 12oz bottle matchup at a time... I can only drink one of these. I've even had a 5 gallon keg of this at my house and loved it at first but soon felt it was too hoppy. Now, give me a 5 gallon of Blind Pig or Pliny and I'd have a different story. Or, even Stone's IPA.

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a great experience. I wouldn't buy it and drink it every week... but it is so much fun to share with friends and talk about how Green Flash makes great hoppy beers.

Cheers to Green Flash.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Burnt orange body supports two fingers of off-white foam; lots of lacing and nice durability--excellent look. Big hopped-up nose rife with citrus. The four hops advertised on the neck label--Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade--are all over this. It's citrusy and floral, loaded with hop goodness.

The taste has Simcoe front and center, with grapefruit and orange peel leading the way. This is very delicious, loaded with hops but with a decent, lightly toasted malt complement. Well done. The tongue isn't exactly coated with hops as hop bombs like Hopsickle produce, but West Coast IPA does a hop lover proud. Bold and assertive but smooth and not overbearing, West Coast is a terrific IPA.

Very satisfying.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

So you say you want a sessionable hoppy brew without an overwhelming aftertaste? Dial this one up. Green Flash gives us the chance to try many hop varieties in one pour.

***Disclaimer***I'm sipping this right now after the blissful experience of my first Pliny!

A: Hazy orange color, a little more amber than most IPA's

S: Hops, duh!...This is a unique smell for sure, the malt breaks through to the nose and it smells a bit sweeter than I would have imagined. The hop combo is hard to pinpoint with the nose. I'm detecting many different subtleties, as if inhaling an herbal tea.

T: This is maltier and creamier than I would expect. True hop domination but it is kept in check, so as not to overwhelm. Or maybe I'm just a hop freak? Could go either way. There is some sweetness almost like a taste of floral manuka honey. The bitterness is diminished which smoothens the experience, but the hop finish is solid without a doubt!

M: Crispy, medium bodied and fairly smooth, carbonation is spot on for my liking.

D: Another example of an IPA I could get into trouble with. I have a tendency to drink IPA's faster than other beers. I could see this being a great after golf/softball brew.

I will forever compare all IPA's of this quality to SNPA, which was my gateway hop beer. But man, are they getting better everyday or what? This beer in one word, SOLID...straight across the board.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Whoa! I've had this now on-tap and in the bottle. From the bottle, the beer comes off much creamier, with a lusty off white thick frosty head, lacing and a load of retention. The nose is incredibly pungent and you know you are in for a wallop. The piney notes and oily hop esters are screaming out from the glass. Everything said about this on-tap holds true for the bottle version, just in more acute fashion. The beer is very, very acerbic with an extremely tart, grapefruity, pungent hop bite. It is even more imbalanced in bottle form than on-tap. Good, but definitely one for big time hop heads. L'Chaim.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This is the new label version . Says "Dry Hopped" and 95IBU at the bottom. I reviewed this last year, but it is new and improved...

A - Very nice copper color medium-high carbonation. Bone white head is about 3/4" Lacing all over the place. I guess could complain that this isn't very "pale", but for me this nails it for the style

S- Says they use a "menagerie" of hops and I believe it. Very fragrant and you get tart citrus, pine, and just a hair of skunk (in a good way). Not over the top in any one way.

T - For 1 second, there is a sweet taste. Then it is gone in a wave of bitterness. Apricot, grapefruit. Freshness. Nice. A bit too bitter for an IPA

MF - Good carbonation and crispness. Bitterness coats the mouth and has dry, clean finish.

Drinkability - Priced fairly, not too strong ABV (7%), but pretty bitter for single IPA. So very nice, but might be a bit too strong on the hops. Can I say that?

Sierra Nevada with a huge pair! Love it. Nice remake GF. These guys know what they are doing!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Received a stubby bottle from bbothen as an extra in my 1st beer trade.

Pours a hazy copper with bright tangerine highlights and a nice foamy white head and some excellent lacing.

Aroma is perfect, pine, pungent blue cheese and citrus. Simcoe & Centennial hops are displayed well in the aroma. Nce caramel aroma in back.

Thick, creamy texture with a slick mouthfeel.

Very nice caramel malt sweetness up front, not too sweet though. Balances the large hop flavor and bitterness perfectly. Hops are lush and delicious. Citrus flavors in there, a little herbal, grassy and finishes with a dry pine bitterness. Bitter finish latches onto the palate well and begs fro another sip of hoppy goodness!

Excellent IPA!
Thanks to bbothen for the sample!

Cheers!

4.19/5  rDev 0%

Poured a cloudy rusty tan. Bout a finger of head. Smelled strongly of piney citrus. Tastes of citrus and pine, but there is a caramel background to it though. Fair bitterness, not too much, which makes it more drinkable. I'd say between APA and IPA. but still very good.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a jagged 1 1/2 finger head, into S.A. perfect pint glass. beautiful golden amber color.

S- smells like citrus hops, very much like grapefruit. just a hint of malt.

T- To no surprise, it tastes like citrus hops and grapefruit. has a nice malty background to balance it out. aftertaste of, yup, grapefruit.

M- smooth, kind of sticky. great carbonation level.

D- amn this stuff is good!

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

On Cask @ the Blind Tiger...1/19/09

Pours a cloudy, hazy, bubble-less blond color. Wow the smell is exploding with citrus and pine. Taste is at first tobacco leaf, grapefruit, hops. Mouthfeel is oily, smooth at first then finishes with a great hop bitterness. Excellent cask beer, would love to try this on tap or the bottle.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.