West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,851 | Ratings: 7,756
4.91/5  rDev +17.2%

7.3% ABV
95 IBUS

A: Straw in color with noticeable chill haze. There is a nice spongy white head on this brew. Great retention!

S: This has one of the strongest aromas I have ever come across. Chinook hops bite into your nose, while piney centennial, and fruity cascade hops entice it.

T: Similar to biting into wet raw hops. The chinook give a great puckering bitterness, with the flavor and aroma hops lending the more delicate pine, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, and flowery flavors. Excellent.

M: Light body with a very slight oiliness. Low carbonation.

D: A hophead's dream. Extremely hoppy and quite enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle..Perfectly clear deep amber/copper coloured body with strong ruby highlights and a thinnish white head. Aroma of very fresh grassy hops along with citrus notes, perfumy notes and even more hops! Medium-bodied; Strong hop bitterness up front fading to a good malt backbone then back to some citrusy type hops. The aftertaste shows a lot of the hops with a bit of the grassyness from above and a good bit of malt. Overall, a good IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

The first time I tried this beer I must have gotten a bad bottle, because now that I've tried it again I wanted to overhaul the original review I wrote.

It pours a darker copper color with one finger of slightly off white head that dissipates to a thinner layer.

Smells of very piney and earthy hops. Slight nuances of grapefruit. No noticeable malt smell up front.

Taste is similar. Strong piney and floral hops up front. A little bit of malt in the undertone that I couldn't detect in the smell. Bitter.

Medium bodied, a little bit carbonated, slightly dry.

Is very drinkable and trying it a second time I liked it a lot better.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at the Yardhouse in Long Beach. Aroma is hop forward. There is no mistaking that it is an IPA. Color is an amber color that is clear with a nice creamy beige head. Nice lace all the way down the glass. Flavor is hop assertive with a clean malt profile of biscuits and toast. Clean finish and easy drinking. A very nice IPA.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a 6 pack at Arctic Liquors in Steamboat CO, around $11.

A: hazy bronze/copper color with an off white head about half an inch thick that recedes to a film. a few spots of lacing around the edge of the glass but not much.

S: HOPS! wow, this could be the most aromatic IPA I've smelled. This is a hoppy beer, lots of "herbal" smells, almost like fresh mint in the back country, grapefruit peel is all over the nose in this one, hops all over the place, they really crowd out any malt characteristic. This is odd, as the other bottles I've had from the pack haven't been nearly this fragrant. I like this a lot.

T: As the nose would suggest this is a very hoppy beer, citrus rind and pine are all very present, but the malt characteristic is a little more present, not so quickly pushed aside, what is there is a faint bit of sweetness up front, almost caramel like, but it gives way to citrus and pine. The bitterness is a bit much, but I really enjoy it. This lingers on the mouth a long time.

M: For as strong as this beer is, it is quite thin. I'd like to feel a bit more thickness to go with the hops, as the IBUs are definitely in solid DIPA range. A little thickness would be nice.

D: Not exactly a sessionable IPA, really a thin DIPA, the hops tend to wreck my palate after two, and everything tastes pretty bland after that. A damn good IPA if you're into hops though. Good beer all around, just not one I'd put back all night.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle (actually I am working on my second) that I got from hopsleeroy in our last trade. Served up in a tulip flared pint glass.

A: HEY!!! This poured a dark orange, almost brow color with a ton of red highlights and hues. FRANK!, its a red tinted IPA! Lots of carbonation activity in here with bubbles continously moving up in the glass. The head is a pretty thick, one finger of white head. The head has really good retention, not really fading at all over time. The lace is stupid sticky on the glass and clearly notches the glass all the way down. The stick is spot on, only slightly dripping after it sets on the glass.

S: Smell is . . . how do I describe this . . . hops?! Tons of hops. Nice citrus, grapefruit hops come out first with a bitter sweetness. Then you get some really nice pine hops coming out as well. A floral boquet rounds out the aroma nicely. Slight herbal/medicinal quality hides in the background, making you somehow feel this will be good for you.

T: Taste is much like the nose but better in translation. The grapefruit really comes out with a bitterness, slightly puckering goodness. There is also so good amount of grapefruit peel coming out as well. The pine is bitter as well, with that resiny flavor coming in beautifully. The floral presence and herbal presence is light but there. The pale, bready malt is subtle and nice light counter to all this hoppy craziness.

M: Medium bodied brew that has a pretty medium carbonation. The carbonation is pretty crisp and this is actually pretty refreshing if you get past all this hoppy bitterness. ABV is light and masked easily by all this HOPS. This beer is pretty damned sticky and really coats the mouth with a full rush of all the hop flavors described and the grapefruit and pine resting in the aftertaste.

D: This beer is pretty good. Frankly, I had to let it warm a bit because the flavor is pretty damned bitter. Warm, it is easy drinking and almost poundable. Cold, not so much. Its a bit too much at times. The hops are very well showcased in the aroma and flavor profile. If you don't like hops, this is not your beer. A few years ago, I would have hated this beer. My girlfriend was disgusted after she sampled it. It takes a slightly more developed palate to enjoy this, or someone who just plain likes bitterness. good stuff though!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A
Cloudy, orange/brown... looks good.

S
Amazing smell. Green Flash has figured out how to make a Pale smell good. I don't think anyone else can match their smell. The perfect hoppy-sweet mixture.

T
My only complaint... too much hops! I love it. Hop city. It is a great blend of hops and sweet malt... but almost too much hops. But the flavor profile is dead on what I'd expect from an IPA named "West Coast." Great job Green Flash.

MF
It is quite rude to my mouth. Very bitter and a little acidic in mouth feel... but not bad. I'd love to side-by-side taste this against SN's Torpedo.

D
I used to really love the GF West Coast IPA. Actually, I still do on a one 12oz bottle matchup at a time... I can only drink one of these. I've even had a 5 gallon keg of this at my house and loved it at first but soon felt it was too hoppy. Now, give me a 5 gallon of Blind Pig or Pliny and I'd have a different story. Or, even Stone's IPA.

Green Flash's West Coast IPA is a great experience. I wouldn't buy it and drink it every week... but it is so much fun to share with friends and talk about how Green Flash makes great hoppy beers.

Cheers to Green Flash.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Burnt orange body supports two fingers of off-white foam; lots of lacing and nice durability--excellent look. Big hopped-up nose rife with citrus. The four hops advertised on the neck label--Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade--are all over this. It's citrusy and floral, loaded with hop goodness.

The taste has Simcoe front and center, with grapefruit and orange peel leading the way. This is very delicious, loaded with hops but with a decent, lightly toasted malt complement. Well done. The tongue isn't exactly coated with hops as hop bombs like Hopsickle produce, but West Coast IPA does a hop lover proud. Bold and assertive but smooth and not overbearing, West Coast is a terrific IPA.

Very satisfying.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

So you say you want a sessionable hoppy brew without an overwhelming aftertaste? Dial this one up. Green Flash gives us the chance to try many hop varieties in one pour.

***Disclaimer***I'm sipping this right now after the blissful experience of my first Pliny!

A: Hazy orange color, a little more amber than most IPA's

S: Hops, duh!...This is a unique smell for sure, the malt breaks through to the nose and it smells a bit sweeter than I would have imagined. The hop combo is hard to pinpoint with the nose. I'm detecting many different subtleties, as if inhaling an herbal tea.

T: This is maltier and creamier than I would expect. True hop domination but it is kept in check, so as not to overwhelm. Or maybe I'm just a hop freak? Could go either way. There is some sweetness almost like a taste of floral manuka honey. The bitterness is diminished which smoothens the experience, but the hop finish is solid without a doubt!

M: Crispy, medium bodied and fairly smooth, carbonation is spot on for my liking.

D: Another example of an IPA I could get into trouble with. I have a tendency to drink IPA's faster than other beers. I could see this being a great after golf/softball brew.

I will forever compare all IPA's of this quality to SNPA, which was my gateway hop beer. But man, are they getting better everyday or what? This beer in one word, SOLID...straight across the board.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Whoa! I've had this now on-tap and in the bottle. From the bottle, the beer comes off much creamier, with a lusty off white thick frosty head, lacing and a load of retention. The nose is incredibly pungent and you know you are in for a wallop. The piney notes and oily hop esters are screaming out from the glass. Everything said about this on-tap holds true for the bottle version, just in more acute fashion. The beer is very, very acerbic with an extremely tart, grapefruity, pungent hop bite. It is even more imbalanced in bottle form than on-tap. Good, but definitely one for big time hop heads. L'Chaim.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This is the new label version . Says "Dry Hopped" and 95IBU at the bottom. I reviewed this last year, but it is new and improved...

A - Very nice copper color medium-high carbonation. Bone white head is about 3/4" Lacing all over the place. I guess could complain that this isn't very "pale", but for me this nails it for the style

S- Says they use a "menagerie" of hops and I believe it. Very fragrant and you get tart citrus, pine, and just a hair of skunk (in a good way). Not over the top in any one way.

T - For 1 second, there is a sweet taste. Then it is gone in a wave of bitterness. Apricot, grapefruit. Freshness. Nice. A bit too bitter for an IPA

MF - Good carbonation and crispness. Bitterness coats the mouth and has dry, clean finish.

Drinkability - Priced fairly, not too strong ABV (7%), but pretty bitter for single IPA. So very nice, but might be a bit too strong on the hops. Can I say that?

Sierra Nevada with a huge pair! Love it. Nice remake GF. These guys know what they are doing!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Received a stubby bottle from bbothen as an extra in my 1st beer trade.

Pours a hazy copper with bright tangerine highlights and a nice foamy white head and some excellent lacing.

Aroma is perfect, pine, pungent blue cheese and citrus. Simcoe & Centennial hops are displayed well in the aroma. Nce caramel aroma in back.

Thick, creamy texture with a slick mouthfeel.

Very nice caramel malt sweetness up front, not too sweet though. Balances the large hop flavor and bitterness perfectly. Hops are lush and delicious. Citrus flavors in there, a little herbal, grassy and finishes with a dry pine bitterness. Bitter finish latches onto the palate well and begs fro another sip of hoppy goodness!

Excellent IPA!
Thanks to bbothen for the sample!

Cheers!

4.19/5  rDev 0%

Poured a cloudy rusty tan. Bout a finger of head. Smelled strongly of piney citrus. Tastes of citrus and pine, but there is a caramel background to it though. Fair bitterness, not too much, which makes it more drinkable. I'd say between APA and IPA. but still very good.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a jagged 1 1/2 finger head, into S.A. perfect pint glass. beautiful golden amber color.

S- smells like citrus hops, very much like grapefruit. just a hint of malt.

T- To no surprise, it tastes like citrus hops and grapefruit. has a nice malty background to balance it out. aftertaste of, yup, grapefruit.

M- smooth, kind of sticky. great carbonation level.

D- amn this stuff is good!

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

On Cask @ the Blind Tiger...1/19/09

Pours a cloudy, hazy, bubble-less blond color. Wow the smell is exploding with citrus and pine. Taste is at first tobacco leaf, grapefruit, hops. Mouthfeel is oily, smooth at first then finishes with a great hop bitterness. Excellent cask beer, would love to try this on tap or the bottle.

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%

12 ounce bottle, served in pint glass, purchased at Belmont Party Source in Dayton, OH.

A: Pours dark orange to amber color. Lots of head, almost 1 ½ inches on direct pour. A lot carbonation. Thick sponge like peaks of head. Good amount of lacing on the pour and a very small amount of lacing left after finishing the glass. Sign of a good malt balance.

S: Less aroma then I expected, initial hop and malt smell. Nothing very over powering or impressive about it on the initial pour. Pine and citrus notes as expected.

T: Initial malt and bitter, metallic taste followed by citrus and hop impact on the aftertaste. Very little alcohol presence, only tasted after swallow. I do not like a metallic taste in my beer, that was disappointing.

MF: Medium to thick body for a single IPA. Almost syrupy at times.

D: High APV at 7%, however I could drink a few of these in a single session. This beer is also well balanced , between the APV, the hops and the malt.

Besides Stone, this was the first experience I have had with a west coast IPA. I have to say I want to go visit California now. This beer has a good balance and just enough hops to give you a kick in the teeth when it wants to.

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic puts up a one finger head light tan head that falls slowly, leaving a bit of foam around the glass. Below, the beer has a nice transparent copper hue with a somewhat yellow tint.

The nose yields hefty piney hop aromas, with some nice malty sweetness too. Some citrus as well.

This is quite forward in the hops department, and the particular types they've used for this aren't my favorite. Overly piney. Pretty tough, really. Hardly any malt presence, just a mess of hop-overload.

This does, though, have excellent fine carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this one...I've got the rest of a six-pack to dispose of somehow!

A picture of my own: http:[email protected]/3206595559/

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Head was decent, gone in a matter of seconds though. Beautiful color, dark orange with brown hues. Lacing is evident from the start. Tastes very sweet at first for an IPA, but then I suppose the 95 IBU's sneak up on you, leaving a very bitter aftertaste. I like hops, but this is a good amount of bitter hops. Mouthfeel is smooth, has good viscosity for an IPA. All in all, it's as good as expected but I think I'll stick to my Stones and Dogfish IPA's.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Glad to finally try a beer from this brewery. I had this on at the Flying Saucer in Houston. The beer is bronze with an off-white head & decent lacing.

Just as expected, pinesap nose & lots of hops!

The taste is astringent and nicely bitter. Pine sap, grape fruit and some caramel malts. The malts actually do a good job of adding some balance and keep the hops from running way with the beer.

The mouth is oily and coating. I like this beer, but drinkabilty suffers a tiny bit from the lack of balance. Still, well worth seeking out and a nice example of a West Coast IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed from the draught lines at the Moan and Dove, where this beer has appeared frequently of late.

Appearance: Pours with a huge, two and a half finger head. Bubbling with carbonation, and the head clings to the side of the glass. A little darker than most IPAs.

Smell: Big, bright hop aroma, complimented by citrus fruits.

Taste: Big hop explosion up front, with sustained bitterness. Fresh and crisp in that way. If you're a hop head, this rocks.

Mouthfeel: Probably overwhelming for most palates, as there are only subtle fruit notes and otherwise a lot of bitterness.

Drinkability: Again, this one is for those who adore the Racer 5s and Stone IPAs of the world. I'll usually drink this one last in a session, as you can't taste anything afterwards. But in a good way.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark yellow, light copper in color. Excellent creamy head sits on top and doesnt want to leave. In the body of the beer is the most hops I have ever seen floating in an unfiltered IPA. Looks great.

Pine is the most prominent with citrus right behind.

Lots of delicious hops. Grapefruit is probably the first flavor that comes to mind with pine and other citrus right behind. The middle of this beer actually has a little malty backbone which greatly contributes to the balance of the beer. Finish is all about the hoppy bitterness.

Great mouthfeel, a little syrupy. Creamy due to the great head and very full.

Excellent IPA, I want more, unfortunately I dont see this on the east coast that often.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a hazy, fine particle infused, orange-copper color with a half inch off-white head that sinks down to a skim on top. A touch of lacing.

Aroma is bright and hoppy with lots of citrusy notes. Orange and grapefruit seem to be most prominent. There's a bit of a malt sweetness behind the hops but it certainly takes a backseat to the hops.

Taste is hoppy from the start with the grapefruit and orange citrusy character coming straight into the front and center. Some piney character comes out more towards the back end. Beneath all this there is a malt presence that struggles to make itself known.

Mouthfeel is really nice for an IPA. It's medium in body with a creamy texture and very nice carbonation that allows it to be soft yet crisp at the same time.

This is a very tasty IPA indeed. Definitely up there in the top 15 of IPAs, if that means anything anymore.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A= deep amber color. Smaller head but it sticks around for a little while. Looks very tasty
S= grass, weed, dope, pot, mary jane, the good stuff, brain broc, greens, ect. Also some citrus and pine hops come through
T= very grassy and floral in the tastethe 95 ibu tastes more like 60 to 70. This is the first beer I've had that tastes grassy
M= very average all around
D= really high. Thanks to kadonny for this one. Its a very unique and fantastic beer. Grass flavor comes through very nicely. Its awesome.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Big thanks to MacDomer for tossing one of this into a trade. No best before date on the bottle that I can find. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Murky amber color, with one finger off-white head. Dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lace. No visible bubbles. I was looking for a little more head and better retention.

S - Bitter smell on this one - you can sense those 95 IBUs in there. Pine & lemon, with only a faint malt backbone. The smell doesn't jump out of the glass on this one.

T - Very strong bitterness, only a hint of sweetness at the beginning and in the aftertaste. There's a lot of lemon and grapefruit in this one. It's unbalanced, but that's what I expect from something called West Coast IPA.

M - Kind of dry, but otherwise very smooth. Doesn't leave a lot of resinous character behind. A little bit watery as well.

D - The reasonable amount of carbonation and the sweet aftertaste combine to make this eminently drinkable, even if it isn't among the greatest IPAs I've ever had.

A nice teaser - I'm definitely interested in checking out some of Green Flashes more exotic offerings.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Serving type- 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours dirty brown/orange color with an eggshell white lace that is minute. The lace retention stays until the end. No activity present in beer after pour.

S- Strong hoppy smell that is mixed with some malty undertones. Flavors of pine, and caramle present as well.

T- Strong hops flavor is present in the taste as well, there is some citrus flavor notes present as well. The beer finishes a little tart and dry.

Overall a decent IPA but compared to others that I have had this is down on the list. A little to hoppy for me without a nice counterbalance.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.