West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 7,875 |  Reviews: 1,884

3.59/5  rDev -14.3%

A few months ago, Untappd started sending me monthly recaps of what I drank. I track a lot of beers, and now look forward to that email. It tells me my favorite style, the number of beers I drank, popular pictures I posted, and more. Last month, my favorite style was IPA. The month before it was stouts, which makes sense… it was the winter! Anyway, I am a hop head (self proclaimed) so I love a good IPA. Some, especially on Twitter, are calling this a double IPA. I mean, the beer packs 95 IBUs. That is BIG for an IPA. I can’t wait to see what this bad boy smells and tastes like.

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. It has a thick, fleeting head and the lace just hangs on for dear life. Some of it just sticks to the side of the glass begging to be drank. When I swirl it around in the glass, which I do quite often with beer and wine, the head foams up and leaves a thin layer of frothy white on top. Let’s dig in.

Nose: Whoa… that is a PUNCH of hops. I am pretty sure there is just a pile of hops sitting in the glass waiting to be enjoyed. Holy cow. I love hoppy beers, and when I read this had 95 IBUs I got excited… I guess that is what 95 IBUs smells like!

Flavor: The flavor is NOT what I expected. When I pour n IPA, one that is often called a double IPA, I expect the hoppy nose… which I got. But I also expect some hops on the palate. I get those, don’t get me wrong. But I might as well have just sucked on a pine needle. I am not sure that is a bad thing, but the flavor is not as much hop as it is pine. The flavor is good, but again… not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is good. The beer appears to be thick in the glass, but isn’t on the tongue. It slides down smooth, with a punch of hops and a hint of carbonation. I normally am not that big on bubbles, but lately I have been opening my mind to bubbles. The pine needles hit you about halfway back, and then it leads to a bitter, strong aftertaste.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part. Well, the smell is the best part. But the aftertaste is nice. It sticks around for a while, and is somewhat dry with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. It has a professional finish… like an IPA that has been around the block a few times. The aftertaste has me longing for the last drop.

This is a good beer. It doesn’t taste like it has 95 IBUs. It smells like it does, but doesn’t taste like it. I could just sit here and smell this all day long. I have never licked a Christmas tree, but I have a feeling it would taste like this beer. Like I said, that isn’t a bad thing. But just not what I expected. The burp is nice, though. Anyway, I am a BIG fan of IPAs, but this one is too outside the box, even for me.

West Coast India Pale Ale - The bottle says: “NA”

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark golden orange, almost copper in color. The beer has a finger tall creamy beige head that reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface with some much thicker patches and a very thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant lacing is observed.

S: There is a fairly strong hop aroma to this beer with the grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops really standing out. There is a very light earthy hop presence as well.

T: Some very light hints of caramel malt sweetness upfront but then the grapefruit and citrus hop flavors. There is a moderate amount of bitterness in this beer.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp with some dryness in the finish.

O: This beer is quite tasty and definitely one I would like to try again. This beer has an amazing smell and looks very inviting.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer looks really pretty. They used some darker caramel malts in this one as the head is very creamy in appearance and color rather than white.

It smells like some sweet fruits and malts, earthy, pine, some sort of hop-funk.

The taste follows very much the same, smooth, balanced hops and malt, bitterness perfectly nit with that unique funky,earthy hop flavor, awesome.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a deep amber with a two finger head that receded slowly into a thick light, sandy-colored cap and thick, heavy lacing. Pungent flowers, grass, and resin were very evident up front in the nose. A splash of lemon, or other citrus was detected in the background. A slight tinge of phenol was up front but was soon blown away by the hop wash! Medium-bodied with I'd rate lower than average carbonation. It did have a lingering hoppy aftertaste. Overall, a very, very good beer. If you like hops, it'll be one you'll like!

RB!

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Aggressive pour yields a slightly hazy deep copper brew with a solid 2 finger ecru head that lingers, leaving sticky lacing.

Aroma is dominated by citrus and pine, with a background of bready, toasted malt. Grapefruit and tangerine are accompanied by a slightly nutty finish.

A fair amount of bready malt serves as a substantial base for the diverse hop profile. Pine and resin are undertones throughout the sip until the fairly bitter finish. Grapefruit and tangerine add complexity. Floral hops emerge as it warms.

Body is moderate with moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

Very good example of the style, bitter dominant, as indicated by the name. Characterful enough to merit great beer status.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a hazy orange-copper color with a huge
billowy white head. The head had large carbonation bubbles entrapped within. It faded very slowly to give a fair amount of lacing.

Smell – A good helping of hop aroma. While mainly citrus in nature there were aromas of some earthy and pine notes. In the background of the smell there is a light biscuit aroma as well.

Taste – The flavors follow the nose quite well. Up front there are nice citrus hop flavors, largely grapefruit in nature, with a good biscuit base. The hop flavors actually lighten in the middle leaving a window for a light citrus sweetness to come into play. More toward the end some hoppiness comes back. The grapefruit hop makes a resurgence and this time is mixed with pine and some earthy flavors leaving a pleasing middle of the ground hop flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – A very creamy body with a lower level of carbonation. The creaminess really allows the hop flavors to sit on the tongue. Very nice for the style and flavors.

Overall – Nice flavors and a great mouthfeel make for one very nice drinking brew.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured ice cold into a 'frozen' glass, so little head, but lacing down the inside of the glass was lovely. Aroma was absolutely intoxicating with hints of bitter-citrus and green pine.

Color was that of dark, glowing amber or dark honey.

Mouthfeel was indeed a treat! Hoppy-citrus lovelyness with a wonderful bitter finish. I actually stopped, closed my eyes and just took another sip to experience it again. They're not kidding with the claim "Extravagantly Hopped" either, this beer is hops up to your eyeballs for sure, but not overwhelmingly so.

A wonderful experience drinking this beer, I will definitely be on the lookout for more.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.