Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA
4.22/5
Exceptional
West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

#909
4.5

Ratings: 7,918 |  Reviews: 1,891

This is what I would expect of a West Coast IPA, hoppy but not overhopped leaving you picking resin out of your teeth like some West Coast DIPAs, nothing wrong with that either. This one left a head that hardly receded as I sipped, as the liquid went down the head clung to the side to form more than what I would consider a lace. This would be one of my go to beers if it were a local brewery.

Executive Summary: My first from Green Flash. An assertive IPA, indeed. Gobs of hops are apparent, from the first whiff all the way to the bitterness left on the tastebuds after the last sip has been drained. What I like about this one is the clarity in hop flavor. You can really pick them out, and that's a tricky thing to achieve.

Appearance: Pour a hazy amber/copper into my snifter. Cream-colored head persists at about a 1/2 finger thick. Lacing is nice.

Smell: Wow! Pine and citrus, plain and simple. Some floral essence as well. Clearly some Centennial in here and I think I may even sense Simcoe. Aroma as art.

Taste: Not much of anything but hops here. I'm not going to complain, being the hophead I am, and since this is technically a straight IPA, I'm not expecting too much malt presence. Good thing, too! Very striking hop flavor - I know Columbus hops are quite strong flavor producers...perhaps that's in the mix. Whatever is in there is in appreciable quantity. Lots of bitterness in the finish, but in my opinion, that's actually the most balanced part here.

Mouthfeel: Pretty much dead-on for an IPA. Light body with a slight stickiness to it, but even that is minimal. This is a hop elixer, so don't expect much in the way of a malt backbone.

Drinkability: You know, as I slog through this one, I'm finding myself won over. This would be a great brew to have on a late spring or summer evening - it's snappy, so it's refreshing, but not one of those hot weather thirst quenchers. I wouldn't make this my lawnmower beer, but I would bring a few for friends at a barbecue to show them what the world of craft beer can produce.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.22 out of 5 with 7,918 ratings