West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,870 | Ratings: 7,832
4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks a million to akorsak for hookin me up with this. I had it once before but cracked it at a tasting to far in to get an honest review. This masterpiece deserves my full attention.

Appearance: pours a hazed oranges with a big thick creamy head measuring over two fingers. after it drops to one the retention is amazing. the sticky lacing is gorgeous as well.

Smell: Sweet floral perfume hops, flamboyant aroma of resinous pine and grapefruit hops, that cross over to sweet fruit like apricots with a drop of honey. Delightful.

Taste: Millions of tiny little hop bombs explode faster than machine gun fire, with every carbonation bubble busting through the fuzziness is rich sweetness and beautiful resinous hops. This is not a double IPA (not quite) but it is a big IPA. it is really just about perfect because it is a beer you can handle a lot of, and yet it is loaded with bitterness and sweet balance.

Mouthfeel: It has a very tingly creamy feel, a medium body and a slick thick center.

Drinkability: Sensational. I really enjoy drinking this beer as much as I do contemplating it. It is one that can be enjoyed form both direction as a be worthy of thinking about and yet a beer easy enough to put down one after another.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Dark amber color, two finger white head, good lacing, no visible carbonation.

S: Mild hops, tropical fruits.

T: Hoppy, bitter, malty. Unique tasting DIPA. Long lasting bitter aftertaste. Superb!

F: Full bodied, yet very drinkable.

O: Very good DIPA. Will definitely buy a lot more of those :)

12 oz bottle.

This has been a staple in the fridge for the past 5 years. This is one of my favorite IPAs. It is good in the bottle and great on draft. Solid appearance, awesome piny smell and taste and great light to medium mouthfeel. I am a big fan of this beer and used to get it quite a bit more when it was in the six pack format, but like to grab it once in a while when I want a good example of a big hop forward IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

On the label it says " taste it once remember it forever, that is the truth. Anytime I can get this I invest wisely and get a minimum of a case. This is the IPA that created the west coast -hi ibu palette- that I now can't escape from. I never look into my cooler with anything less than satisfaction when I have the west coast Ipa in it.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic pint. Big two inch off-cream colored head that sticks around for quite awhile before fading in rocky clumps. Piney, resinous hop aroma, with an citrus underlay. Nice clear deep orange color.
Wow, that's nice. Sharp on the tip, and rolls around to find the corners of your mouth, laying in for the hop bite. Nice full body, and the malt undertone is the perfect counterpart for the hop bitterness. In fact, the malt flavor is almost an afterthought, with piney hops resonating far beyond whatever malt sweetness may lie underneath.
As it warms I get the fleeting biscuit flavor that supports the bite. It's weird, I want to call it "unbalanced", but it's so delicious I can't. Overall a great beer, and definitely one to add to the rotation.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass...

A: Hazy/cloudy orange amber in color with minimal head. Nice lacing and great retention down the inside of the glass.

S: Massive amount of hop aroma in the nose. Complex hop smell that includes a huge blast of pine and grass followed by the typical (for a west coast ale) floral, and citrus notes. Not much of the malts can be detected in the smell.

T: Just like the nose... the taste follows suit with a massive wave of bitter hops. Floral fades to pine fades to citrus rind... very complex blend of hops. You can taste just enough of the malts to give this beer a nice balance and to hold the ABV at 7.0%. Superior level of bitter hang on the finish. You can taste this one the following morning!!!

M: Full bodied, sticky, and viscous... almost perfect for an American IPA. Moderate level of carbonation with a bunch of slow rising bubbles in the glass.

D: I am a huge fan of IPAs, so I would classify this beer as a "session" beer, however, the bitterness may overwhelm you after three or four! Very highly recomended.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a vibrant orange with a tight white head with nice lacing.

Citrusy hops with underlying biscuit and caramel.

Taste is caramel maltiness up front that turns grapefruity and citrusy, but then in the finish, you get a punch of bitter grass and herbal flavors that stay into the aftertaste. Very dry and refreshing.

Light medium body that is crisp and nicely carbonated.

Very refreshing, crisp, and not heavy despite the 7% abv. Extremely drinkable for the style and would be great in the upcomming summer months.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Got this one from IntriqKen. Thanks!!! A hophead's delight...Up there with Avery Maharajah, Bigfoot and Celebration Ale in the hophead pantheon!!! Pours a hazy copper color. Can get a nice size white head with a hard pour down the middle of the glass. Decent lacing. Smell is great. Lets you know right away that you will be in hops heaven shortly. Tastes very good. Nice and simple. Very strong hops bitterness and citrus (grapefruit). The hops is by far and away the dominant taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and rich. Coats the tastebuds....wouldn't appreciate a Pilsner after this one!!! Very little alcohol taste. As sessionable as 7% can get. I would enjoy 2-3 of these over a long session. Will look for this one at Total Wine or my next foray to Half Time in Poughkeepsie NY. A very nice beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into my New Belgium Globe....I cannot find a bottle date but I grabbed a four pack right when they were coming off the truck...

pours sort of a burnt orange, clear, with a one finger cream head that fades reletively quickly..decent lacing..nice looking...

it seems to be fresh fromt he termendous hop aroma I get..fruity,pine, a tiny bit of grass, very nice

taste is solid. upfront hoppiness.Grapefruit and pine, bitterness almost the while way with a signifgant linger..this kind is what I love about ipas..

mouthfeel is again, solid, subtantial and a bit creamy..

overall I loved this beer..probably could only drink no more than two in a sitting...but a good brew....

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Received a stubby bottle from bbothen as an extra in my 1st beer trade.

Pours a hazy copper with bright tangerine highlights and a nice foamy white head and some excellent lacing.

Aroma is perfect, pine, pungent blue cheese and citrus. Simcoe & Centennial hops are displayed well in the aroma. Nce caramel aroma in back.

Thick, creamy texture with a slick mouthfeel.

Very nice caramel malt sweetness up front, not too sweet though. Balances the large hop flavor and bitterness perfectly. Hops are lush and delicious. Citrus flavors in there, a little herbal, grassy and finishes with a dry pine bitterness. Bitter finish latches onto the palate well and begs fro another sip of hoppy goodness!

Excellent IPA!
Thanks to bbothen for the sample!

Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked this up at the local mart looking for a fresh new ipa. Boy this was a delight! Right when I poured the beer the hops were noticeable. It poured with a nice dark golden color with a light head. The taste was exceptional. Lots of hops. I loved the taste and felt the hops really made it tie all together. I thought it had an easy finish without much of a bite making it easy to drink. I was surprised though that a beer with this much hops had this little of a bite.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Huge whafts of high alpha acid hops in the nose. This has a great smell. Pine, citrus and a floral aroma.

The color is orange and has a pillowy white head.
very clear. Beautiful lacing along the glass.

The taste is sharp and has lots of bite. Some sweetness from the malts with a slightly grainy taste. Smooth moouthfeel with loads of pine coupled with a sweet character. The finish is spicy and has quite a bit of a piney character. There is a bold grapefruit note that lingers on my tongue.

Very tasty and the hops are surely over the top. This is what I was expecting from the west coast IPA. Delicious

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a beautiful amber with a head that sticks around a while to chat. Leaves some beautiful lacing on the glass. Before even the first sniff this is an IPA that looks the part. First sniff reveals that this is indeed a west coast IPA, huge hops on the nose. Big pine and citrus aromas. Oh what a wonderful smell. Can I get this as an air freshener for my car? First sip gives a big hop bite, some definite maltiness and some surprisingly tea like flavors. Mouthfeel is pleasant, the appropriate amount of carbonation for this beer. Does not taste too syrupy, does not taste too carbonated. It's the Goldilocks of carbonation, just right.

Overall this is a very solid IPA. Always a pleasure to have it in my tulip.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This is one of the best IPA's I've had. Its got the great pine-y, citrusy aroma that you are looking for, with a matching flavor. The hop profile is perfect-loads of grapefruit with a great kind of resin thing going on with the mouthfeel. I thought that 60/90min were awesome, but once I had this, how could I go back?

This is incredibly drinkable, and having loved this so much, I decided to try their DIPA, but I found this to be much better. The DIPA didnt have quite the hops that my palate has come to require for the style.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a great ipa. It is a bit pricey for us working stiffs in middle America but is worth it as a nice treat. The taste is similar to their Imperial, which I would recommend over this.

It is funky in the glass. The right color, but with lots of suspended stuff. Nice lace.

The smell and taste are just right - very floral. A great brew.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

I don't know how this one has missed being reviewed by me, cause its one of my go to IPA's. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruges glass.

Poured from a 12 oz. glass bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A - Pours a nice orange amber with a one finger foamy off-white head, sticking to the glass in a lacy pattern.

S - This is one of the piniest IPA's I've smelled, but its extremely well balanced with lots of citrusy hop notes, mostly grapefruit, with some sweet maltiness present.

T - The taste is exactly like the smell. Pine trees, resin, citrus balanced by a great malt flavor. Super delicious, and if i am in the mood for the piney flavor profile, this is the best in its class.

M - Thin to medium bodied with great carbonation. Very typical to the style

D - This is an incredibly drinkable IPA that is a hop heads dream come true.

This is easily one of my favorite IPA's but in the off chance that GF is reading this review, please go back to the old format of the six pack. I hate the thought of paying more money for less beer. Its a great beer, but there are others just as good. I will buy it again, but it will not be as regular as it once was.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Great beer. But at $15/6-pack, is it as good a buy as Lagonitus Dogtown, which is very similar in taste? In a word, no.

Very good beer, but as I try to limit my session beer (and this is a great session beer) to under $10/6-pack, this is not a good buy.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Hazy amber/orange with a relatively short, bubbly off-white head. An abundance of fresh hops in the nose, along with some light citrus, lemon zest, smooth malt and rich barley. A wonderful aroma. Unexpectedly smooth start; with thick medley of fresh hops, bready malts and citrus. Body evens out and is exceptionally well-balanced with its solid foundation. Hoppy, midly bitter mouthfeel with a medium sized body. Fruity, bouncy, hoppy finish.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Amber colored with a big, sticky white head that stays with the beer until the end. Lacing is great too.

S - Off the charts grapefruit with some pine and floral notes to boot. I love the smell of this beer.

T - This is a hoppy IPA but I never tired of it. The smell carries over nicely to the palate with hops playing the major roll and bready malt adding balance and flavor interest.

M - Medium bodied with a silky, smooth feel to it. Carbonation seems about right.

D - To date, this has been my favorite West Coast IPA. Maybe part of it was its freshness - the hops really jumped out of this beer. I had three pints and could have had another without getting burned out. I wish this was available in Wisconsin.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Having already had this on tap a few times (and having reviewed the tap version review - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/22505/?ba=CaptDavyJones), I finally got my hands on a bottle.
Surprisingly, the beer was not much different from the tap. The only place where the bottled version of this beer was better than the tap, was in the aroma. Fresher, tempting floral hop goodness.
This IPA is just a sheer delight, and like I said in the tap review, one of the best IPA's around.
Highly recommended for all hop-heads; a must-try.

On Tap @ The T:

A: Hazy golden orange with a nice honeysuckle foam

S: In your face fresh hops, pine, resin, mary jane, and biscuit malt

T: Fresh hops, bread, and biscuits

M: Sharp and inviting

O: A west coast classic. A piney and superbly drinkable IPA.

On Tap Blind Tiger NYC

A: Dark orange, nice fresh head, looks inviting..

S: Super funky spicy hop aroma. Some funky vegetable scents and an evident strong malt backing. This beer really smells fantastic, I love the funky vegetable / cat urine scents in this! Sounds disgusting but smells wonderful!

T: This IPA really masters the balance between super hoppiness and strong maltiness! Taste follows smell notes, but tastes more of a salty ocean meets freshly dug onions and a splash of spicy fruit at the end. The melange of flavors in this is truly wonderful and dare I say a touch mystical. This is the sort of beer that touches on so many nuances of flavors from sweet to sour to fruity to funky all in one. I forgot how funky this beer is when fresh on tap!

M: Wonderful slightly chewy but ultimately refreshing and easy drinking. A semi medium thick maltiness to it, with the zesty hops cleaning the mouth all the way home.

O: I was really down on this beer after an old 4 pack, but boy have I been swayed by having this from a super fresh keg. This beer is really an IPA masterpiece. To me this is an IPA that borders between hoppy and malty, single and imperial , and sweet and sour, all in one.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz bottle in a SN Anniversary Pint Glass.

A: Pretty standard orangey/copper color. Though, it looks slightly darker than most IPA's I've had.

S: There is an outrageous amount of floral hop smells coming out of this brew, along with tons of grapefruit, pine, and citrus notes. Oh, and an entire forest is tucked away somewhere.

T: Well, at first taste, this was an aggressively hoppy and bitter beer. But as I gradually took sip after sip and got my palate comfortable with the assault I was inflicting upon it, the whole thing opened up. Not only is the beer just hoppy, but there are so many different flavorful nuances from the different types of hops. There is very little malt presence, but I'm not complaining.

M: It's a perfectly carbonated IPA. The feel on the tongue is exceptionally smooth, and syrupy.

D: I probably waited too long to try this beer. Always overlooking it for something else, and I regret it. This is definitely one of the best IPA's I've tasted over the years, and I'm sure it will be a mainstay in my fridge from now on. As far as sessioning goes, I do think it's a little too much after 2 or 3. But those 2 or 3 are still remarkably enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a nice dark amber color with some orange and ruby hues. A nice half inch of fluffy stable white head adorns this pretty looking pour.

Oh the smell...oh man...talk about sharp piney notes and lots of excellent grapefruity goodness. Wow, this stuff really, really reminds me of the smell of fresh, skunky weed. I am not a big pothead but that is really what comes to mind most. Its a great smell don't get me wrong, I love it!

Taste is nice and tart, fresh hops that numb the tongue and kick you in the back of the throat...love it. Some poweder sugary malt in the background but mainly I am getting fresh sour citrusy flavors and that piney/kind bud-y goodness.

Easy drinking and oh so drinkable. I will be re-visiting this beer in 6-pack form soon.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Was lucky enough to find the case this four-pack came in so I could actually know the Bottling date. Turns out this bad boy is just a month old. Off to a good start. Pours a very murky, golden-amber color with a medium white head. Lots of floaties in this one. Scent is packed with tropical fruit and citrus aromas. Some mellow hoppiness as well. Taste is just outstanding. Immediately I get some nice pineapple and melon flavors, then followed by hop resin. Some bitterness comes into play, followed by grapefruit and more melon. Finishes with some piney notes and lovely hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is full bodied with some nice bite to it. Drinkability is high. Overall, this is a monumental West-Coast/Cali IPA.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.