West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,855 | Ratings: 7,783
3.27/5  rDev -22%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dull copper color. Lots of floating sediment. Slightly off-white head with a bit of lacing.

Smell: Hoppy aroma of citrus and a bit of pine.

Taste: Has a somewhat astringent hoppy flavor throughout. Close to citrus, but not quite. And not pine either. The aftertaste is the same, and lingers. The more I drink, the more bitter it gets too.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied and a bit grainy, yet oily in a way. Moderate but light carbonation.

Drinkability: See my flavor notes - wouldn't want more than one pint of this. ABV is on the stronger side, but not noticeable.

Had this before on tap - it was alright, but I wasn't too impressed. And, I'm still not impressed (and maybe less impressed). Something is just "off" with the taste, and the excessive sediment is just a bit... unsettling. Other excellent beers have similar flavors, but here it just goes a bit too astringent and misses the other flavors, and falls down.

3.27/5  rDev -22%

I was very excited to try this beer. I had heard great things about it. The appearance was good. Nice color, white puffy head. The aroma was very nice. A nice hop aroma, promising. The taste was amazingly average. This is as boring an IPA as I've ever had. They seem to be following the West Coast IPA generic recipe. No complexity, biting, resinous, hops, little distinguishable malt character. Boring. The mouthfeel and drinkability were average as well. Nothing stands out with this beer.

I'd certainly drink it again but this beer is nothing special Skip it.

Green Flash West Coast IPA……. on tap at Pacific Standard in Brooklyn, NY

Appearance-bright vibrant orange cold, gray colored head slowly rises but falls quickly, lots of bubbles, a thick looking brew with lots of body.

Smell-Rush of fruit and pine which shows the hops are here in force. This smell is so pungent that it was really all I could get. Alcohol is there in the background but the hops are the show here.

Taste/Mouthfeel-and so it is. A rushing pine-flavored burn of the tongue that lingers throughout, smoky and bitter in the strictest sense, the burn lingers through and the alcohol doesn’t hit until the very end as it goes down with a large warming sensation.

Drinkability-depends on how much you like hops.

Overall-I’m normally a hop fan, but maybe I’m getting old. This is a crushing blow of hops and while the force is impressive I didn’t enjoy this beer nearly as much as I hoped too. Will give it another try, but disappointed for now.

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

When poured in the glass, the color was a hazy amber with an orange hue. The smell of hops was not overpowering. But, hops was all I could smell on this IPA. The flavor was weak for me. I picked up a weak flavor of hops and that was it. The finish was bitter, dry, but again, not much of a flavor, just hops.

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

A- a nice deep amber/red ish tone
S- I didn't get much from the smell...wondering if my nose if off???
T- the bitter is a bit overwhelming even though I am a hop whore, self proclaimed....again, questioning my palate
M- goood solid mouthfeel not too thin, not tooo thick.
D- mediocre simply due to the bitter bite I am perceiving...

I should check the hop schedule and choices just to be sure there isn't a "litmus test" effect.

Served in a pint glass.

A- Light golden in color, with huge thick head with a lot of lacing and retention.

S- Caramel malts, some citrus, but predominately pine, grass, weedy aroma from the hops.

T- Do not pick up hardly any citrus, but a lot of grassy/ weedy pine hop bitterness.

M- Thin bodied, but fits the style.

O- Not a huge fan of this IPA. Seems to be bitter just to be bitter. Would like a more citrus forward style IPA like a lot of the "West Coast" IPA's.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Bought a sixer at La Bodega in Riverside for $6.99 in Nov. 05. [Note: I suspect this one may have sat on the shelves a few months before I got it- don't know if that affects this review.]

I have heard some about this brewery as one of the new up and coming breweries in the San Diego area- saw them at a beer fest or two, and have seen a few bottles, but I've never tried them. This is from my first bottle (subject to modification after one or two more)....

Pours a surprisingly dark copper/red with a very large fluffy white head. Quite nice to behold, but darker than many (but not all) west coast IPAs.

Aroma is all about the hops, and this hop profile is different than others I've smelled. Huge bitterness- much moreso than the Alesmith Yulesmith that I recently enjoyed. Oily and piney, for sure, but what else is that? Crushed juniper berries. I recall that from the mountains of Nevada. Notes of creosote bush. Definitely reminds me of camping in the California/Nevada desert. And good or bad, this is very different from other IPAs.

Flavor is all hop bitterness. Oil. Furniture polish oil. If you like hops, if you love hops, don't stop, pass Go, collect $200, and go here now. We are talking seriously bitter, almost sour hops that drown everything else out. Some like that. For me, I like balance better, and so I have to give this one a pass.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nice eighteen karat gold out of the bottle leaving a giant white sticky head. Head is very tight in appearance, leaves some decent lace. Body is a nice burnt orange, clear, but with cloudy specks and an almost suspended animation state with "flecks" hanging. Some carbonation from the bottom but not much.

Dry pine, arid grass is an over dominating bouquet on this beer at first. Small citrus fruit is hardly noticeable in the back with some nice toast grain in the back, but small to detect. Kind of musty also. Definitely unique for an American IPA I would say.

Taste is incredibly bitter at first giving to an overpowering dried grapefruit rind sensation that doesn't feel pleasant. Wet moutfeel with a very dissipating taste and body. Sharp and too bitter I would say of hop and excessive grapefruit oil sensation. I'd hate to say it but this needs some sweetness (not a lot) to round it out a bit. Excessively bitter and missing grain and some sweetness and some body I would say.

I think there's better IPAs out there than this that I would have instead.

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I am a fan of Double IPAs and have drank many. But I found this beer had an unusual harsh and abrasive bitterness with very little balance. Just not my cup of tea really.

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Cloudy, amber-orange color. Head is a finger of dense, creamy foam. Lacing is impressive all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S: Heavy on the hops aromas, with pine and grapefruit dominating.

T: No time wasted on sweet or grainy malt flavors, this one jumps straight to tangy and bitter hops flavors. As expected from the nose, there's a lot of grapefruit rind and pine resin. There's also some phenol, and showing up late there's a hint of soapy fatty acid, which certainly detracts some from the whole experience.

M: Crisp, somewhat dry, but also fairly smooth.

O: My fourth offering from Green Flash, and since my initial experience with their Double Stout, it's been downhill -- I'd group this one down there with the Hophead Red, and for the same reasons: My main complaint is the lack of balance (true hop-heads who don't care about anything else will like it, but those liking their beers to be "well-rounded" will be disappointed). The soapy flavor that other reviewers have mentioned was also a detracting factor. The taste was the only area where the beer was sub-par, but taste is paramount, IMO.
It's certainly drinkable, but not a winner. And I know from experience that Green Flash can do better.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Was very excited to try this after having the Hop Head Red the other night. Pours a orangeish golden color with a decent creamy head. Smells of boldly of hops as would be expected. Taste was disappointing with a very underwhelming flavor with a tinny aftertaste. Under carbonated in my opinion for this medium bodied IPA. I wouldn't have had another of these if I had one. I will try it again to see if my taste buds were off but based on this review very average in the taste department.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

In my opinion Green Flash makes one of the best Double Ipa's out there and they also have a lot of great other extreme and belgian beers. The IPA however is not as great as some of their others or as other ipa's for that matter. Pretty good color aroma and taste and certainly worth a try if you come across it.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Pours a bronzey caramel with a huge khaki head. A sweet and fruity aroma filled with some malt, peach, tropical fruit, and just a touch of some pine. Flavor offers much more pine than the nose suggested, very little of the fruits the nose suggested, and a moderate amount of bitterness. A medium bodied, active moutfheel. Overall, alright brew. Not blown away or craving any more than this one bottle.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Pours a standard copper copper color with concrete solid sediment suspension. The head is about one fingers worth after the pour, but maintains quite well after the fact. The aroma ha plenty of earthy and citric peel notes. Not too much noticeable though. The taste starts citric peels and all with maybe some biscuits that speak for the malts. The middle to the finish is pretty bitter and everlasting. I like bitter, but I don't want to go to sleep with it on my palate. Not sessionable for me and my taste. But still an ok IPA.

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance- On draft poured into a tulip. Pours a clear bright orange color with a two finger creamy head. Good head retention and a solid wall of lace down the side of the glass!

Smell- Floral and pine hops mostly, some citrus and grass.

Taste- Very hop forward, a small malt backbone, but not much to speak of. Incredibly bitter and dry, this is not bad, but could use some balance for my taste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. Again extremely bitter.

Overall- This is good, but would not desire more than one in a sitting. This has got to be the most straight "bitter" beer I have ever had.

3.37/5  rDev -19.6%

650 ml bomber.

It pours an amberish orange with lots of sediment (shit that usually isn't a sign of freshness). The head is frothy and off-white and leaves a bit of lacing as it recedes.

Smell is rather subdued, I'm beginning to think this bottle is old (I wish there was a bottled on date). It is just malt.

The flavor is better. It is definitely pretty bitter which I like. It isn't a tounge-blistering bitterness but enoug to make me forget abotu how malty it smelled. There is a lot of pine in play here and it is backed by caramally malts. There is some citrus in the end that goes with the grapefruit rind bitterness. It is an enjoyable one to drink. It isn't the hoppiest beer (and may be past it's prime) but it works for the most part.

After tasting it i am utterly confused, did i get an old bottle because it smelled like malts, or is it still pretty fresh because it tasted fine? At any rate if you don't value smell this one is a good one.

3.37/5  rDev -19.6%

On draft at Friscoe's Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Very cloudy, amber color, thin off-white head.

S- Hoppy, flowery, slight yeasty scent.

T- Very hoppy, yeasty, but a very bitter, grapefruity finish.

M- Not too fizzy, medium on the tongue.

D- Not the best of the style, strange aftertaste.

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Slightly hazy iced tea colored body, with a slim white head. Leaves lacing on the glass.

S: Catty scent predominates the overall character, along with a little bit of almond.

T: It has some resinous (tree sap) qualities, along with a woody bark and mossy note to the flavor. There's a bit of tannin quality to the beer as well, like you'd get from certain roasts of coffee or a good tea. It is very tea-like.

M: The mouthfeel is relatively smooth compared to other AIPAs. It's not completely dried out either, and seems to coat the mouth a bit.

O: Overall I thought the beer was nice, but it wasn't spectacular. The flavor was partially there, the scent was partially there, but it just didn't feel complete. It felt fairly mellow and I would have liked a bit more flavor and character to the beer.

3.39/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a light copper color with a head that doesn't stick around for very long.

The smell is outrageous in a good way: Loads of different hops going on. Notes of pine and grapefruit, along with floral hints.

The taste was kind of a let down. There wasn't much to it except for a bitter/acrid aftertaste. It definitely doesn't live up to the aroma.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the drinkability is pretty good.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into my favorite Grateful Dead pint glass

A - Nice dark copper colored pour with a 1/2 finger of head and ample lacing on the side of my glass. Good looking beer.

S - Citrus, pine, and hops are the key aroma's after the pour. You can smell the robust hop content on board. There is also a hint of a bready or biscuit like aroma which is interesting for an IPA.

M - Light carbonation with a very resiny, citrus mouth feel that gives an excellent extreme hop and fruity citrus kick at the end. Very electric back end hop taste!

D - Excellent IPA and one that I am going to add to the line-up of favorite extreme hopped IPA craft beers. This is a very session-able beer if you can handle the 7 % abv

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

A: deep amber with meringue head with very nominal lacing

S: generous hop notes with pine character and very faint floral notes, noticeable alcohol

T: nice clean hop bite on front with noticeable red grapefruit that lingers on the palate, very faint fig and spice on the back of the palate

M: pretty standard "west coast" IPA

D: great IPA in SD vein, nothing mind-blowing but great kick-back brew

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I get very little on the nose, some faint citrus. I get a good citrus taste up front. The finish wrecks it for me, very bitter with a soapy aftertaste.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Gold, hazy with soft slightly off white head. Not the best retention and almost a bit too hazy.

S: The aroma is classic piny/resin bitterness of west coast hops. The malts give a grainy or wet grass scent.

T: Malt sweet on the tip of the tongue followed by wet grass and rounded out with a very metallic bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, properly carbonated. Not creamy or harshly dry.

D: Average, many better west coast IPAs to indulge in.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Pours a very hazy reddish/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: Floral and grassy hops. Very fragrant. Light citrus, with big pine and grapefruit. There is a substantial sweetness that balances the really big hop character.
T: The balance that was in the nose, and a balance I really enjoyed, is gone here. Big resiny pine and bitter grapefruit dominates. Oily and soapy hops. Almost no balance.
M/D: A medium body. Lighter carbonation that I was expecting. Almost under carbonated. Even a bit thin and watery. I finished my pint without a problem. Though not something I will revisit soon.

This started out like a good IPA should. Though, as far as I am concerned, the big and unbalanced flavor profile work at odds with the balanced nose. While I am not a hop head, and think this is a decent beer. I also think there are much better IPA's around.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Traded with seaoflament for this 12oz bottle in Florida while on vacation this past November-drank back in Ireland.
Pours a nice copper color with a large white foamy head that slowly settled to a 1/2 finger foam that stayed with the entire drink as it went down.
Initial smells are largely piney and hoppy.
Taste is strongly of hops and citrus with pine hints, just like the smells indicates. It is a bit too much for me, borderline bitter.
Not a full beer, but definitely has some body to it and a decent mouthfeel.
I don't think that I could drink more than one of these in a sitting as it really isn't my favorite style, but I am glad that I tried it and would recommend to those looking for a west coast IPA.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.