West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co.

West Coast IPAWest Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

As craft beer pioneers, we embarked on an expedition to brew the benchmark West Coast IPA. We ventured into the unknown and struck gold, discovering a tantalizing menagerie of hops. Simcoe for tropical and grapefruit zest, Columbus for hop pungency, Centennial for pine notes, Citra for citrus zest and Cascade for floral aroma are layered throughout the brewing process. West Coast IPA® exemplifies the Green Flash spirit of adventure and discovery.

Prior to 2014 7.3% ABV
2014 and later 8.1% ABV

Added by xlperro on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 7,894 |  Reviews: 1,888
2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

The beer is an orange-ish hue with a decent head for an IPA. It smells great with a bit of sweetness and fruit of which I can't put my finger on. The taste is hoppy, as you'd expect from an IPA, and starts off with a fruity note equating to the smell. The aftertaste is what strikes me as very 'off' with this one. It keeps its hops all the way through, which is great; however towards the end of the sip I'm hit by an intense metallic and soapy flavor that ruined the experience for me. I've noticed several bad IPAs having this aftertase, just not quite this prevalent. It seemed to have the makings of a great IPA before this point.

I'm thinking perhaps I got a bad barrel, but I will likely never know as I won't be giving this another try from the tap.

2.76/5  rDev -34.1%

2.76/5  rDev -34.1%

2.78/5  rDev -33.7%

Reviewed 9/18/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber coloredcolored body, clear, with a creamy white color head, huge but diminishing. Has a grapefruity aroma, with some sweet maltiness. Somewhat smooth watery taste, bitter aftertaste. Okay but not much body.

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic puts up a one finger head light tan head that falls slowly, leaving a bit of foam around the glass. Below, the beer has a nice transparent copper hue with a somewhat yellow tint.

The nose yields hefty piney hop aromas, with some nice malty sweetness too. Some citrus as well.

This is quite forward in the hops department, and the particular types they've used for this aren't my favorite. Overly piney. Pretty tough, really. Hardly any malt presence, just a mess of hop-overload.

This does, though, have excellent fine carbonation and a great mouthfeel.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this one...I've got the rest of a six-pack to dispose of somehow!

A picture of my own: http:[email protected]/3206595559/

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

Best before 2/2015. Insanely bitter. Bready finish. Unbalanced.

2.83/5  rDev -32.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. It ought to be said that IPAs are usually me least favourite style. I'm hoping this is an exception.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice soft cream lacing, good thickness, and very good retention (especially for the 7.3% ABV). Dark caramel-copper colour.

Sm: Citra hops - and that's it. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Very hoppy without being overly bitter. Some caramelized malt intrudes, a feature I don't find welcome. Foundation is bland barley. Build is simple and largely imbalanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also artificial. It's very strange and doesn't at all suit the taste. Bleh!

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV, but comprised of low quality flavours that turn me away. I won't be having this again.

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%

2.84/5  rDev -32.2%

Picked up a 4-pack and tried it out 5 months before the freshness date of Nov-25-15.
Beautiful golden color with some nice lacing.
Smells a bit of pines and hops, but i got nothing else.
Maybe it's a bad batch but the beer is pretty flat. The bitterness seems to overpower everything because I can't taste the hops and pines from the previous version of this brew. I've heard of the cat-pee phenomenon before but this is the first time I've experienced it. Just a very off-putting taste. Might have to try this again at Green Flash next time in SD, but overall a disappointment.

2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

12oz into 22oz pint glass, no freshness date.

A- pale pale body and a big white head that takes a while to settle. A nice lace ring and some streaks down the glass.

S- Pretty inviting sweet flowers and fruit, and a bit of fusel alcohol.

T-Grapefruit and dish soap. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind, the soapiness is not welcome. I've come across this a few times before, not sure if it's a combination of pale malt and a certain hop variety or what. Not my cup o' tea. Not a whole lot of depth to this one either.

M- Very bitter and a bit astringent. Not really winning any points here. Not bad, but I'm not impressed.

O- Aggressively bitter but ultimately lacking the focus I expect from a west coast IPA. Something I doubt I'll revisit in this cutthroat IPA market. Much better coming out of California.

2.91/5  rDev -30.5%

Murky orange color with a cream colored head. Smelled to me sort of like paste, (of course it is allergy season so my sniffer might be off...) and a richness. Good hoppiness jumped right out at me, but has a nice bitter flavor. Thin body that washes down easily leaving a strong aftertaste of hops and almost a latent smokiness, like with scotch. A bit too much for all day, but an enjoyable flavor explosion to relax with.

2.92/5  rDev -30.3%

NOTE: I BELIEVE I HAD A BAD POUR BASED ON OTHER REVIEWS. Read the following to hear why.

I don't understand how this beer got anything more than average if it is supposed to taste like the beer I was given last night. I feel like I've had this beer before, and really enjoyed it, which is why I ordered it last night, but something must have happened to the keg or my glass at the restaurant I was at.

A: It came in a short fluted snifter, sorta like a belgian ale glass and the appearance was a cloudy amber, a nice rich color for an IPA. Average off-white head.

S: This is where the biggest issue was: It smelled like caramelized onions. Other scents barely noticeable. It was like someone had rimmed the glass with sweet cooked onions. Sort of buttery too, which is weird. Not much of that fresh hoppy aroma that I was expecting.

T: Nice and hoppy, crisp citrus, but with a good balance of the sweet malts to balance the beer out, but, as a large part of flavor is smell, i couldn't help but feel like I was also eating buttered onion crackers. It was pretty awful. The smell really ruined the beer.

M: A nice combination of a heavy mouth feel, but with the crispness of an IPA. Went down smooth.

O: The smell really ruined this one. I hope it was just a bad glass and not the beer because I remember liking this one. Maybe I'll complain to the restaurant that either someone with onions on their hands handled my beer, or the dishwasher isn't working as well as it should (it's a new restaurant so who knows). Very very strange...

2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Has a nice smokey smell to it, which does not translate into taste as the IBUs are out of this world. This beer pretty much ruins your tastebuds for any additional tastings.

Overall it's not a bad beer for a bitter but I wouldn't consider it a good IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

I don't know if this is unfiltered or not but this is definitely a hazy orange color with some sediment floating around in this one. Their is a slight white head with some lacing left on the glass.

Their is a lot of pine aroma and with a faint malt aroma buried in between the hops.

This one is dominated by the piney hops that at some points tend to get quite grassy. The hops are traditional to the west coast style of a slick feel that coats the tongue with an oily feeling and leaves quite a bitter aftertaste. I like my IPA's to have more of a fruity taste which is missing in this one. Probably will pass on this one next time.

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

I love a good hoppy IPA, but to me this beer was pungent and too far over the top.

West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.