Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reviews: 1,003 | Ratings: 2,630
4.46/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a great I.I.P.A. I am surprised at the color, it's much more pale that I am used to for the style. It doesn't matter, this here beer is 9.4%abv and it is hidden well by a strong hop assault on the tongue immediately upon entry of the mouth. Wonderful bready malts show themselves after said assault. I am a huge fan of this beer. The price is right, at Beertopia they were selling it for 5.49 a bomber. Fan-f*ckn-tastic. I wanted a new dipa to try as I am such a fiend I've exhausted the limited selection we can find here. I would love to trade this with someone for other dipas I can't find here. I have a dipa problem.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

the appearance was fresh, the smell had that cali smell to it, wasn't dank with hops, the taste smooth, the hops did not attack or overhaul the beer, i don't know how they do it, but the technique is awesome. mouthfeel allowed me to have a session if the alcohol didn't get tipsy so quick. drinkability is delicious. thank you very much!

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Wowza! That's hoppy in all the right ways.

Appearance: Classic double IPA golden amber with little head, light lacing, and fairly low carbonation.

Smell: This beer brags hops. Pineapple is the dominant smell followed by mustier hops and a bit of garlic scape/wild onion. This has all the classic hop depth, perfect balance of citrus and vinous plant matter.

Taste: Follows the smell. Bold and unrelenting, though not unpleasant. Tons of flavor hops but no paucity of bittering hops either. The warmer the beer gets, the more the garlic/onion flavor comes out in it. (Note that I don't think this is a bad thing at all, in fact, I appreciate that quality in aggressively hopped beers because it shows the complex nature of hte plant itself. But if you dislike this aspect of hops, keep the beer from as cold as you can and those vegetal notes will be less noticeable). Malt sweetness is definitely there, though hops are the star, and thank god for that! Similar hop characteristics to the Avery Maharaja (in terms of the garlicky flavor) and Moylan's Double IPA.

Mouthfeel: Sleek, slippery, restrained carbonation.

Drinkability: Strong. See note above about how the flavor of the beer changes as it warms up.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Pouring from a 22oz bottle into a Guiness pint glass.

A...Pours a hazy orange color with a creamy, three finger head. Noticeable med size bubbles comprise head that slowly recedes to, and maintains a perfect 1/2" head with layered lacing. Lacing is like a line mark on glass for each sip.

S...Great bouquet on the nose. Very complex aroma. Picking up earthy notes with pine, citrus and maybe a bit of grass. Smells very nice.

T...Great. Getting hops right up front like I should expect in an Imperial ipa. Hops with a quickly fading bitterness that turns a bit malty sweet with a swallow and finishes with the earthiness that I could smell with the pour. Really a great, full flavor beer.

M...as good as it gets. Full feel with the perfect carbonation. Really works on all levels.

O... This is a spectacular beer. Very robust and complex while maintaining a perfect balance. The taste changes from hitting your lips to the finish. Complex in all the right ways, a lot going on in this one. Nearly a perfect dipa.
I will seek this out over and over again when I want to really enjoy a great beer. I will look forward to pairing this with a cigar in the future. I think it will go nice with something not too strong, maybe a Punch Champion or anything with a corojo or natural shade capa.

Buy this beer, enjoy.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Bomber enjoyed on 2/25/08

Poured a lovely, crisp coppery color into my Duvel tulip glass. Average head, but damn what an awesome looking crispness to it.

Smells exactly like what i was expecting, a nice pungent hopppy florally scent not too overpowering.

Loved the taste of the hops hitting popping me lightly in the mouth.

Nice mouth, could have been a little creamier, but not complaining.

Man, i could get in trouble drinking these. My taste buds werent shot after finishingh the bomber like what happens with some other D/IIPA's. Gonna have to pick up another one of these soon.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Proving that the Green Flash brewery is a one trick pony (but owe what a trick!), the Double IPA is a very nice example of the style, but seems to owe too much to it's younger brother the West Coats IPA.

Nose is a headier viersion of the WCIPA with a sweeter malt character on top. So far so good.

Taste: Starts off malty sweet, morphing quickly to a cornucopia of Western hops with a bitter closing note which lingers. Alcohol is nicely in check for a higher alcohol brew. Nicely done there. Problem (if one can say it's a problem) is that it is merely a maltier version of the WCIPA which breaks no new ground nor is particularly representative or respectful of the style (which is kind of an amalgam of styles at that). In that sense, I have a similar complaint to the one I have about their Hop Head Red which, though a well crafted effort;,./, seems to me to be a WCIPA version of a red ale. While they do work, the comparison with the original leaves both of them wanting.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Aroma:  Moderate pine and herbal hop notes.  Some caramel in the background.

Appearance:  Hazy, golden honey color.  Half a finger of head with excellent lacing.

Flavor:  Pine, herbal, some citrus notes balanced nicely with malt.  Each swallow is a nice sweet-tart flavors beginning, middle and end.  Some lingering bitterness in the finish.  Alcohol flavors hidden well.  Very nice.

Mouthfeel:   Medium body, with a slight syrupy mouthfeel.  Carbonation is good.

Overall:  A very enjoyable Imperial IPA.  Big pine, herbal flavors balanced nicely with a solid malt backbone.  Well balanced and easy drinking for a 9.4 ABV beer.  Well done.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow! Just what I have been looking for, this beer is like hop-overload! Can it get any better for a hop-head? I think not. Pours a murky golden color, with a lasting head that laces the entire glass. This beer is fantastic, it's just a shame it can't be had in 6 packs! Still a fantastic beer for a bomber especially considering the price!

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Feel free to disagree but in my opinion, Green Flash Imperial goes down much easier than West Coast IPA. Perhaps, because it is a bit more balanced? Either way, this sucker will creep up on you.

A - Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a 1'' head that dissipates rather quickly.

S - Big citrus hop nose with an emphasis on orange zest and ruby red grapefruit. Less resinous pine than the West Coast but still a touch.

T- Big citrus hop flavor of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine with a prominent malt sweetness. Definitely not as dry as some other IIPA's.

M/D - This beer is way too easy to drink. At 10% ABV, it goes down just as easy as a session beer.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

A: pours copper amber with a thin white head. Nice colour, but a bit thin head.

S: Balsam and herbs - a fresh nice hoppiness. This is what IPA is all about.

T: Some sweetness and an underlying earthy maltiness not quite obscured by those predominant hops. Not painfully bitter at the finish though, which is good for a Wednesday evening.

M: Creamy, with good bubbles, but I would have liked a bit more acidity for that extra zing.

Overall a very nice Imperial IPA. I would buy it again, because its very drinkable with well integrated alcohol.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

appearance-looks good....not a ton of brussels lace

Smell-great hoppy smell...smells like nugget and summit hops....yummy

taste-great hoppy taste....lots of hop complexity...great stuff

mouthfeel...semi prickly carbonation and great mouthfeel

drinkability-well I drank quite a bit of this beer at the greenflash 5th anniversary and then I went to stone for more beer afterwards...and got denied beer because I was slurring...so I would say it is drinkable but watch out!

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. bottle split with jhamel. New yellow label, very fresh (8/9/09).

Had this beer a couple of times a few years back when I was first diving into craft brew head first. Hated it; old bottles that were overly malty and sweet. Glad to have a fresh one finally.

Golden orange in color with impressive clarity. Head quickly dissipates leaving sticky lacing.

Smells of ripe pineapple and sweet malt-- like a tropical juice blend.

Fruity hoppiness leads to a mildly sweet mid palate which is followed by a bitter, dry finish. Fantastic. For a hop monster, there is an interesting balance.

Full bodied and tongue coating without becoming syrupy. Prickly bitterness on the finish adds another dimension to mouthfeel. I might like a tad more carbonation though.

At 9.4% abv, this is much more drinkable than many similar abv IIPAs (Maharaja, Dorado).

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

This is a very impressive Imperial IPA for sure, and I'd definitely seek it out again. As most reviewers seem to agree, the west coast hoppiness is good, and not overdone. Seems just right to me. The alcohol isn't all that detectable for it's 9%, and you will feel it. There is balance in the malts too. I think I have to give this an A at least AND, I'd suggest this is the PERFECT beer to go with some spicy buffalo wings! Bring'em!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Just had this beer on tap @ The Dirty Truth in N. Hampton, Ma
A: pours a hazy, golden orange with a nice white lacing and fluffy cushiony head.
S: Holy citrus Batman! Grapefruit, citrus, hemp.
T: Incredible wallop from the hops. Definitely a force to be reckoned with. Stone brewing needs to take notes from these guys!
M: silky and sublime. Definitely a resinous lingering aftertaste from the hop oils!
D: wow. Incredibly smooth, complex, and enjoyable. great representation of a West Cost Ipa! I'd be hard pressed to find a better imperial ipa.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

22oz Bomber at about 50 degrees F, in a pilsner glass.
Pours to dense, frothy, white head. Looks like a bubble bath with stiff peaks.
Lovely reddish, copper color. full clarity.
Nose is sweet, with hints of spice and piney hops.
Taste is wonderful, balanced hoppiness with a touch of smooth bready malt. The 9.5% lingers on the palate and the flavor become a little washed out because of it.
Drinks smoothly and is another excellent hopped beer from green flash. Not perfect but always interesting and worth a try.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

A- Pours amber with 2.5 fingers of thick foam. Good retention. Receded into a half finger that remained.

S- Citrusy hops. Some orange zest. A bit of pine.

T- Tasted hoppy with some definite citrus. I also tasted some juniper. Slight malty back. I can definitely taste the 9.4%.

M- Medium to full bodied. But the alcohol heat didn't hide very well.

D- I liked it, but I personally don't mind the alcohol bite. I could see how it might turn someone else off.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

A: appearance is light orange/amber with thick clean white foam.

S: beer is full of passion fruit with a thick hint of spices.

T: taste is clean and crisp, straight to the point... HOPS! although saying hops which are definately there the bitter taste doesn't linger.. From the hops distinguishing the beer becomes quite dry on the pelate leaving notes of orange and passion fruit. can definately taste some alcohol in this one.

M: quite heavy and pungent but very dry! On the verge of feeling quite overpowering. Saying this definately not unpleasant in any way!

A: I enjoyed this beer and would definately drink again but not overly sessionable, more of a sit down and enjoy a bottle with a meal. Easy drinking for imperial.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Well, I used to have some skin cells on my tongue. They were getting in the way, so thankfully Green Flash Imperial IPA removed them for me.

This is a great double IPA from Green Flash, the maker's of San Diego County's best IPA in my opinion, West Coast IPA.

Smells of intense yeast and tastes of straight hops which you would expect. Nice alcohol warming, but the mouthfeel isn't overly thick, so this goes down almost too easily, except for the skin cell removal of course.

Great job Green Flash. Stick to the stronger beers like this and your equally excellent Barleywine.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a cask at Stone World Bistro into an 8 ox. glass.

A- Medium to light copper color brought to me with no head at all, but hey it's cask. I watched this beer being hand pumped and there is a certain appreciation that goes along with this.

S- Powerful, but sweetly subdued hop aromas that gave way to a faint, but noteworthy, sweet caramel scent.

T- With this being my first IPA or DIPA from a cask, I can really appreciate the complexity, and depth of balance that this has to offer. The hop oil presence was very pronounced, perhaps because there was little carbonation to counter. Definite warmth to this one, and not the room temperature pour. Clean and biting finish with brief bitter-hop aftertaste,

M- Well, this was a first for me. The absence of carbonation threw me off. That said, it was an oily, mouth coating beer that was relatively drinkable despite the DIPA status.

D- Again, pretty drinkable.l I could have enjoyed another of these had they not tempted me with so many other treats that I had yet to try. Not sessionable, however.

I buy this one when I can as for me it is the best example of a West Coast Imperial IPA.

I love the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

When opened it poured a deep amber colour with a hint of deep orange when held up to the light.

Scent was one of tropical citrus with grapefruit, orange and strawberry. And the taste was rich, solid and so satisfying.

Went down very easily leaving a mouthful of hops flavour behind that I just savoured for a few minutes.

Strong ABV was not noticed whatsoever but the effect of one bottle was noticed when I went to stand up.

Incredible Double IPA.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excited about this beer. Served right out of the fridge in a pint glass.

Clear copper look to the beer with a quickly dissipating half finger of head. Steady stream of carbonation. I would have liked to have seen a bit more haze.

Deep, dank abundant aromas of citrus and grapefruit. I'm getting some hints of a sweet peach too which is very refreshing.

Bitter hops, primarily much of what was on the nose. Not overly bitter however and it's fairly well balanced. I'm feeling the 9.4% from this which has to be expected. This is most definitely a sipper and enjoyed over a period of time.

Smooth beer, considering that it's a double. Can feel the presence of the alcohol but it's not overpowering at all.

I strongly recommend this beer to anyone. It's very solid and it has a fantastic flavor and aroma. I'm totally sold on Green Flash. I was impressed with their West Coast IPA I had last week as well. This is very similar to that in smell & taste but is still distinctly its own.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber into a pint glass. Best by 3/1/14.

A: Pours a cloudy deep orange with a fluffy off-white head. Good retention and excellent lacing.

S: Slight citrus, mostly grapefruit.

T: Piney with a bitter drying finish. And I mean that in the best way. The summit and nugget hops are quick, but not abrasive, and give this DIPA a unique weedy flavor. The bitterness lingers and dries in a way that invites repeated tastings.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

O: Another winner from Green Flash. Not as hop-forward as Palate Wrecker or Green Bullet, but finishes a bit smoother. The 9.4% ABV is well-hidden behind the piney dryness.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

green flash imperial ipa... thats were it all started for me.... a local grocer (kobackers) had this in stock a few years back and i had opted for something new that day... well what a suprise... no generic beer ever tasted the same after that day.... this is truly one of the best ipas you will ever encounter...

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

While I'm still feeling the wonderful after-effects of this beer, it's prime review time.

The deep orange, murky, small-bubbled color is a perfect example of the west coast ipa. The pint glass held a two inch head after an aggressive pour.

The smell is incredible. This is piny, citrus, and alcohol in a beautiful execution of this ever-duplicated but often-misinterpreted genre of brews. The best of the imperial/double IPAs demonstrate a sharp scent and fulll mouth.

The taste is tart, grapefruit, malt, and fierce hops. The other flavors appear early, but the hops fight through and take the crown.

The mouthfeel is chewy, thick, and sudsy. I love the tongue action of surprise and satisfaction.

The drinkability is a bit low for me because this brew will slap you. One bomber has me checking my spelling, and I'm an English teacher!

This is a primo example of a west-coast, sharp IPA. Don't even go near this one unless you're fiending for some hoppy time.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Served from a bomber bottle. No freshness date.

A - Poured into a Duvel glass, it has a rich golden color with perhaps a slight touch of orange and about a fingers worth of off-white head.

S - As with most double IPA's the hops are very present. I detect mostly pine aromas with very minimal fruity or floral notes.

T - I would describe the taste as generally balanced. The hops let you know they're there but the malty sweetness is definitely in the background. I get a very slight floral taste/smell also. And even at 9.4% ABV, I don't find the alcohol to be noticeable at all.

M - The mouthfeel is a light-medium and fantastic. This beer just feels great in your mouth. It's smooth with just a touch of stickiness.

D - I wish I had a second bottle. This beer is great.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.