Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Reviews: 1,003 | Ratings: 2,628
3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

It pours a kind of dim light-orange. Not clear but not cloudy. It isn't too inviting to look at, with a thinnish head that dissipates quicker than a fart by an open window. The smell is hoppy yet also sweet and yeasty -- as I find imperials are want to be.

Hmmm. This is an odd one. Everything you expect is there, tis highly hopped and a slamming dose of bready malt plays the bass notes... OK I gave it ten minutes and a few more sips. It's not bitter enough, that's the main issue. Plus, the hops are all sticky grapefruit and tangerine, but could use a little pine. Everything is at the warm-end of the taste spectrum, if you get what I mean. The mineral, medicinal rawness that I crave is absent. I'm in the unfamiliar position of evaluating the dominant maltiness of an IIPA: it's pleasant, but not what I lined up for.

I'm grading this a B halfway through my second glass, and I can say the flavour improves with temperature. It's solid, but I can think of five other IIPAs in thie price bracket that I'd go to before this one.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

SO much better than their West Coast IPA which was tooo bitter for my taste and I like IPA's. I just like balanced IPA's. The imperial delivers from the hazy coppery head, large off white foam, pine on the nose, grapefruit hidden behind, to the sweet fading to bitter long lasting finish. Thoroughly enjoyed this one although like most IPA's it's definitely not one you want to drink more than a couple of in one sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Hazy gold, with a very thick head - looks promising;
S: Very strong hoppy odor - I'm expecting some bitterness;
T: Wonderful hops, which dominate at first, then linger in the background;
M: Again, hops dominate here, but still a more mellow mouthfeel;
D: I'm very, very happy I made this purchase - this is a solid IPA that I would probably pick up again (if there weren't so many other beers I want to try first....)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pleasant pumpkin-orange in color with huge head. A rested bottle resulted a vigorously carbonated pour. Exactly the look of a great IPA.

S- Much as one would expect from Green Flash- very hoppy and floral with solid citrus presence.

T- This beer tastes quite like it smells- perhaps too much so. Lots of pine and citrus along with an off-note I can't quite place. Very little malt character. There is a definite loss of desired flavors as the beer warms post-pour with a noticeable increase in the alcohol flavor.

M- Lighter drinking than expected. Flavors are resinous, but the mouthfeel isn't. There is almost an astringent character to it.

D- The appearance and smell of this DIPA suggested something that the taste and finish didn't really come through on, for some reason. Certainly a tasty beer but I can't quite help but feel that something is missing. Excellent for the price, though.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

I have not been enjoying big ipas of late, probably for a year or two. But I think this one has brought me back. Big beautiful soapy creamy white head which is lasting very nicely, and leaving some great lacing. The beer is bright orange tangerine with a bit of haze that could very well be chill induced. Wonderful grapefruity citrus nose with a reassuring hint of grainish malt. Bitter, but not just straight up bitter...bitter with flavor of grapefruit, or orange rind...bitter with a backbone of flavor. Bitter but in balance with a sweetness that brings harmony. I am really enjoying this. Each sip encourages another...slick, smooth, nice rich body without being overwhelming. Also, this beer is dangerous, 9.4% is hidden. I will buy it again.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Served on cask at Flying Saucer in Houston.

Beer pours a clear, light golden yellow, with a mass of translucent bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass.

The smell is understated, extremely so for an DIPA. I expected much more floral or bitter hoppy notes.

The taste is light, due mostly to the mouthfeel, with bitterness from the hops hitting the back of the tongue. Definitely don't taste the ABV on this one.

The mouthfeel is very thin and refreshing, but it lacks the body that you'd expect from the best DIPAs. It's not bad, just different and unexpected.

Overall, this is a fine beer, but it's not about to usurp 90 Min or Pliny...

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer boasts of pine flavor, and I'd have to agree with that after tasting it. It has a lighter flavor than their West Coast IPA, but evergreen flavors are present which are surprisingly refreshing. I've grown to love this one, and if you appreciate pine flavors in your beer you should not be disappointed.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I just have one question for this beer: Where's the alcohol. This beer is so smooth it reminds me of drinking an Pale ale. Simply incredible. With a straw like color, piney smell, and flavor of drinking a mellow pale ale. Simply incredible, I would have to say prove to me this is a 9% alcohol beer, it surely tastes awesome, but the alcohol is hidden without a doubt.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

Shared a 22oz with 3 friends and have to say I'm glad I did. I could not have finished this beer by myself. Maybe it's that I'm a FORMER hophead who has since found myself preferring malt and yeast as the more prevalant flavors in my beer but this was just outrageous. And not necessarily in a good way.

Appearance is a bit light colored for what I expected but not off with lasting head, though virtually no lacing.

Aroma just smacks the insides of the nose with scents of earthy pine and one of my buddies suggested the smell of a certain herbal substance that won't be named. The smell is certainly not citrus as many here suggest.

The flavor has virturally no malt to be found but just biting bitterness and hop flavors that run from pine straight to licking wood. Guess that's what they mean by a "san diego IPA" on the bottle.

For me, drinkability is somewhat poor even considering that this is a sipping beer @ 9%. As mentioned before I could not have finished this beer alone. Sorry GF, this one really didn't do it for me. Guess I'll go back to the East coast next time I want a double IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

from notes - tasted 5.11.08 in an oversized wine glass

A distinctly orange cloudy beer with a light oily head with a little bit of lacing left over on the glass.

Wet grass and orange blossom smells rose from the glass and faded into a faint alcohol scent with some tangerine-y sweetness in the malt. Mouthwatering.

Hoppy orange and citrus tastes prevailed initially, lending a balanced taste that wasn't too bitter. Though it tasted less balanced as it warmed, it still made for a refreshing aperitif. Some late musty tastes.

Mouthfeel was crisp and drying, but seemed thin for the appearance and smell.

Overall, a very appetizing brew that didn't hit me over the head with hops like some DIPAs. I could definitely have some more.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle.

I'm a big fan of Green Flash Brewing Company, and seeing this at the store... no need for hesitation.

Big, foamy head that stays up for a while.

Floral aroma... one of GF's standards in IPA's.

Taste... light sustaining hops... subtly sweet and fruity bite.

Mouthfeel... feels medium full... not a bit of wateriness to it.

I love it. I love it. I love it.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to Beertunes for trading this bomber to me!

A- Golden amber colored and a large head (for this style anyway) despite a gentle pour.

S- Sweet malt and a subdued hop aroma.

T- Sweet and bitter and a little boozy which is kind of odd. I only wish the flavor could be more complex, the finishing hops are either masked by the bittering hops or are not ample enough.

M- Very dry which is alright for a hoppy beer such as this.

D- I finished the bomber, but I could imagine cracking open another if I had it, which can be a good thing.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Best IPA on West Coast - hands down. Packaging isn't so hot. Almost didn't want to buy but I had heard about them and anything Green Flash has gotta be groovy.

Fantastic , balance IPA really great. Wish it was sold in more State that I could purchase because I would definitely buy this a lot.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried at local piZza joint before ordering and was very impressed by the hoppiness appearance and overall flavor. Not overwhelmed at all by the alcohol content, which is truly amazing in my book

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Cooper and clear, nice head good retention and great lacing. Smell is citrus. taste is good, the hops are pleasant not overwhelming. The body is where this beer is great, the malt is sticky and thick. Nice body. Overall, at 9.4% abv this beer hides the alcohol, delivers on taste and satisfaction.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

I pored this beer from a 22oz bottle no freshness date in to a pint glass. The Head on this beer is white, foamy almost frothy, with good retention. The body is coppery amber in color and crystal clear probably the clearest beer I have drank besides DFH 90. Excellent lacing this beer is great to look at. The smell is hops and sweet malt as soon as you breathe it in. I find some fruity and citrus in there as well. Wow the taste is hoppy 101 IBU's, tart and sweet malt flavor just like it smells. The mouth feel is medium and crisp with Grapefruit flavor in there with a bitter bite. Hops and malts balance this beer out so the high 9% ABV is almost unnoticeable, until it gets to room temp then watch out the alcohol flavors start oozing out. If you like hoppy your going to enjoy this beer Green Flash never disappoints.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Cloudy amber, but rich color amber, the kind they find fossils in.

Taste starts light and comes on stronger. Dances across the tongue rather than hop-dumping on it. Nice bitter aftertaste, if you like that kind of thing, but not overpowering.

I prefer West Coast IPA and Hop Head Red, two fine brews from Green Flash. But this comes real close.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Nice clear light copper color and a big fat white head that faded quickly and left some lace in my glass
S: Big hoppy smell as soon as I opened the bottle, LOVE IT.
T: Just like it's smell, a big hoppy taste and a well balanced maltiness to cut the bitter back.
M: Good carbonation, very refeshing.
D: I love this beer, I can drink this down just fine! I will be buying this one again.

I really enjoyed this Imperial IPA from Green Flash. A - deep yellow color with small foamy head; appears unfiltered and is translucent. S -strong hop smell with a hint of sweetness and apricot; the hop smell is heavenly. T - very smooth for 9% ABV; is bitter at first, but this quickly disappears on the finish.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Stone IPA glass

A - Light copper color. Not cloudy like a hef beer, but not fully clear either. Thick large bubble 2 finger head that dissipated quickly to a thing soapy layer. Little to no carbonation.

S - Hoppy aroma is first to come to my nose, but a musty malty aroma is next. Citrus smells and something else, maybe cantelope.

T - Very well balanced. For being 101 IBU, it really isn't overpowering like you would expect. Citrus and hops are very present but also has great malty after taste. I think I've had regular IPA's that kick your butt more than this.

M - Thin and flowing. Slight burn on the aftertaste that is totally expected with a DIPA.

D - Surprisingly very drinkable. Almost drinks like an IPA. I could do a couple of these, and probably be pretty shitty in the process. Much more drinkable than say a Stone Ruination.

Overall I am enjoying this beer. As stated before I have had stronger IPA and this is a DIPA.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Copper in color, nice head, this beer almosts looks like your average Macro lager. Smell is piney with a small amount of grapefruit citrus. Taste is weak in this one. I am disappointed in the taste. Not a good DIPA by any means. Mouthfeel is average. I think if it tasted better I would be able to drink a ton of these since the taste is so weak. Overall, not impressed.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Got a 22oz bottle at BevMo for about $5.

A nice West Coast Imperial IPA, with a clean citrus hops bite and alcohol aftertaste that is just about right. Doesn't quite have the malty sweetness or balance of a 90 Minute or Maharaja, but still a reasonably priced, solid IIPA. I could have easily had a couple bottles in a sitting.

This one is worth checking out, and I will buy it again.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured in a large snifter from 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Immense dense foamy meringue head with longevity. An apricot golden semi haze. Semi opaque.
Spotty and sticky lacing constellates on the glass.

Aroma: Evergreen. Sticky sweet and warming. Herbaceous dankness.

Flavor: Tastes of fresh bread with toasty caramelized crust. Resiny herbaceous and grassy. Caraway. Lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body coats the mouth. Cleansing carbonation. Soapy.

Overall impression: Nicely balanced Imperial IPA with unique flavors and aromas. Definitely feel the gravity. A refreshing bracer after a hard day working in the yard.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

this is just a GREAT double IPA...pours fantastic with a head that wont quit...it smells great..piney and u can smell every hop and then some...the first taste tells you that ur really gonna love this beer...of all the doubles I've had this is in my top 5 for sure...

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

650ml bottle at The Local Pub.

Apperance: Coppery golden colour, hazy, with a nice tan head. Very clear body!

Smell: Aroma was toffee, caramel and bread from the malts used probably. The hops were deffinitely there but no so intense as hopped. hints of pine and maybe pineapple.

Taste: The taste was a little bitter with tropical fruits (maybe peach?) while the aftertaste was pure caramel, again from the big malts used. I was hopping a not so balanced beer, but one on the hoppy side.

Apperance; The body was medium to full with average to high carbonartion.

Overall: not the best DIPA I ever had, but a nice one nontheless. i was hoping for more hops, but as it seems I tend to like Green Flash's Porter-Stous rather that their IPAs.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.