Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale
4.09/5
Exceptional
Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Ratings: 2,637 |  Reviews: 1,003
3.77/5  rDev -7.8%

Clear golden color. Smallish head with decent retention.

Bright, floral, citrusy. Smells incredibly sweet.

Quite hoppy, but the sweet floral notes overpower any bitterness from the alpha acids. Also tastes a bit herby - reminds me of rosemary or something. Fairly well balanced.

Medium bodied, and pretty smooth. Surprisingly drinkable.

This is a good IPA, but I would like a bit more bitterness. The sweet herbyness is a bit much for me. Solid, but nothing to write home about.

4.46/5  rDev +9%

Serving: Bottle into my Arrogant Bastard Ale glass.

A: Pale yellow/copper with half an inch of head. A medium level of carbonation is visible. Very clear, lots of lacing. Very nice.

S: Piney hops. Not as much resinous character as I expected. Still very nice.

T: I expected a bitter bomb but it's not at all. Very, very well balanced malts and hops. Biterness is aggressive up front and remains in the mouth throughout each sip. Alcohol is not detectable at all. Very, very nice.

M: Solid feel in the mouth. Not thin but not too thick either. Perfect.

O: Extremely well balanced DIPA. Very nice.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

A-cloudy light orange with a thin sticky white head

S-smells like an orange creamsicle. very much like an orange cream pie

T-comes in with a bitter taste of orange peel. some herbs and hops but mostly orange. the after-taste has more hops to it, but it isn't strong

M-medium carbonation with a creamy finish

O-a pretty good IPA, but once again this is a case in which I think the brewery's lower IPA (Green Flash West Coast IPA) is a lot better. i enjoyed this, but it took the citrus aspect to a new level, to the point where it tasted more like an orange beer than an IPA. i did enjoy it and would recommend hop heads to at least try this.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at The Lab Brewing Company in Agoura Hills, CA.

Pours a slightly hazy honey orange with a beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Really nice foamy rings mark the drinking progress all the way down the glass. Smell is of huge citrus fruit, citrus zest, and tropical aromas. Taste is very much the same with some dank hop flavors and a medium bitterness with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good DIPA but I think the smell is better than the taste.

4.62/5  rDev +13%

A 22oz bottle shipped to me on the East Coast from Escondido, CA

A - A golden straw color. 2 fingers of head, and sticky lace all down the glass all the way down

S - Tangerine. Citrusy hops X 10. Goodness!

T - Wow. Like it smells, citrusy hop goodness. Also has some piney hops. A good mix of both. ABV is totally hidden. Well balanced. Hops are way up front, but has a light malt backbone to make this DIPA work

M - Fairly light bodied, well carbonated. Smooth

O - Delicious. That word sums it up! Well balanced. Exactly what I want when I want a west coast DIPA. A hop heads dream!

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Aggressive head, off white and tan mixes with some uniformity and a fist full globing size. Body color is a gorgeous crystal clear orange amber.. WOW sheening orange glimmering body color here just a great looking brew with some good retention, not much lacing, nearly "perfect" looking. Tilting gives red rose highlights in the body, just SICK!

Bouquet is a giant meaty sausage basket. Dank earth hops, without the soil bent. Seasoned sausage and herbs, what the hell is going on here! I am craving salami and sopressata smelling this thing! Dense. I am drooling!

Palate and taste hits with a fantastic wicked dense mouthfeel. Thick malt plays with an earthy hop bent that rolls and brings earthy soil and dank character. Not sweet. A little one dimensional, nothing fruity or unique, just a good earth bent.

Overall, kerrpies, I need a cheese plate here with this. A real great looking brew that just screams food pairing, mixing a non boozy hop rush and balanced earth boquet that screams winning. Nice job.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

The feller at the liquor store had told me about Green Flash, and when I was in the grocery store trying to get a couple propane tanks refilled today I grabbed a pint of Green Flash Imperial IPA. I am pretty excited to try it. BTW, I downloaded a song by Skillrex called Bangarang, which is what I was listening to when I wrote this review. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance – Pours an awesome almost completely transparent light copper color. I swear you could almost read through this beer. Has a big pillowy three finger head that hangs around forever and leaves intense lacing. Love it.

Smell – I ain’t shittin’ when I tell you bros I smelled this beer when I opened it, and I knew I was in trouble. Although I have been on a porter kick lately, the smell of big pine, grapefruit, resin, orange peel, and all those lovely hops reels me right back to the IPA/DIPA styles. No lie I didn’t have to put my nose in the beer to smell it. As soon as I popped the cap on my Boulevard wall mounted bottle opener it was game on.

Taste – Wicked good. The hops are powerful throughout the drink, to be expected from an imperial IPA. Follows the nose very closely, with a powerful punch of citrus, grapefruit, and pine. A little malt in there to ensure it doesn’t get too off balance. No notice of the strong 9.4% ABV….and that’s dangerous.

Mouthfeel – Good finish, nice and bitter but not offensive like some DIPA. Goes down smooth and fresh. Fresh to def!

Overall – This is an excellent beer, probably one of the better DIPA’s I’ve ever had. Smooth, strong, no hint of the high ABV, I literally smelled this beer before I even poured it! Now that’s intense. I would recommend this to anyone who likes IPA, you can’t even tell it’s an Imperial until you try to concentrate after a few pints and find it difficult. Highly recommended! Need a good Imperial IPA? Go with this one. Problem solved, problem staying solved, Rangers lead the way.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

22 oz bomber poured in a duvel tulip. Pours a clear orange yellow with a 2 finger white head that foams and slowly recedes. Tropical aromas. Pineapple, and apricot with light pine scent. The flavor is more tropical fruit. Fresh citrus, pineapple, and mango are here with a creamy malt and some dank flavors. This beer is nicely balanced and the alcohol is well hidden. Medium thin mouthfeel that lingers a bit. Very drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Wow. I'm a fan of the traditional hop-bomb but this was almost too much for me. Almost. Correct me if you must but the strong bold awesome hoppy flavour I got when drinking this was a very strong pine like taste. Not bad per we but it doesn't agree with me the same as the flavours of some of my favoure imperial/double ipas out there. Still, a very tasty but dry and bitter ipa I can enjoy, with a lingering aftertaste you will enjoy if you're into that sort of thing.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Served on tap into a tulip glass

It poured a hazy deepish orange color with a one finger head. The smell was purely west coast IPA, Massive amounts of grapefruit and other citrus fruits. A good astringency from the hops came through in both taste and smell. Tasted like a grapefruit and a mango got together. The feel of this beer is almost kind of pulpy, It has a rich feel and I feel like tiny little hop particles were filling my mouth. It goes down rather smooth and I cant taste the 9.4% alcohol but I could feel it a little. Overall, this is a classic well done example of a west coast Imperial IPA and what it should be.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Arrives a bright, golden amber/orange with a thick, off-white head. Great retention, after 5 minutes still a solid 1/2" raft of foam.
Smell is strong hops and grapefruit with slight malt note.
Taste is hoppy with malt and grapefruit notes and a very faint vanilla hint.
Medium- full body, lighter than expected effervescence. Slight coating of the upper palate with a hint,of drying. ABV is well hidden in this smooth IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Seems to have the same hops and flavor of the West Coast IPA, which may be great for you but not for me. More harsh than mellow, considering the big malty profile. Extravagant flare of hop fragrance and bitterness. Not a bad hop flavor, but just totally overdone. Very sharp, on the acidic side.

Appearance is nice, well foamed and plenty of spritz in the mouth. But it cuts right to the tongue. Only thing I can say on the plus side is the hops are extremely floral and not at all bad as aromatics, but they are overwhelmed by the dank grapefruit peel. I tried flavoring a couple of less hoppy beers, but the Green Flash took over like a bad dog.

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

It's great to see Green Flash brews starting to come to Chicago. Each that I've tried has been nothing less than awesome. dIPA's are my favorites, I'm excited to try this one!

Poured a light golden amber that was translucent and had some light peppering of floaties throughout. Produced a froathy bone white head that eventually reduced to an inconsistently laced layer atop the brew. The smells are familiar and inviting. As it warms, the smells are of a malty pine. A dark, dry citrusness with liking to grapefruit is very present. The smells change as this one warms. A corn-ish aroma grows throw the temperature cycle. The tastes mirror every inch of these aromas. A great hoppy bitterness sustains throughout. Just the most subtle dryness layers the lips. A light finish for a less-than-robust dIPA. Solid, definitely. Not in my top few, however.
Worth a try.

Enjoy!

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.09 out of 5 with 2,637 ratings