Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale
4.09/5
Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Ratings: 2,637 |  Reviews: 1,003
4.17/5  rDev +2%

A: Clear, lightly golden in color with a fluffy, white head, some sticky lacing, and very little head retention.

S: Fruity and floral. A bit of booze and malt.

T: A very balanced Imperial IPA. West Coast, floral hops and lightly toasted malt hit right away with a smooth, warming alcohol to finish. Bready with a little spice and fruit. Thoroughly enjoyable.

M: Smooth with little carbonation. Highly drinkable for the style and ABV. Enough hops are there to keep this as a great IIPA.

O: The balance makes this a nice beer. I expected and hoped for a hop bomb because it's Green Flash but I presume this beer was sitting for a while based on the place of purchase and therefore had time to mellow out. Drink this!

3.26/5  rDev -20.3%

I've heard really fantastic things about this brewery from a friend in San Diego. I ordered this bottle online and it came with no discernible bottling date and I would guess there's a reason for that...

A - Looks nice. Sort of a ruby/tangerine color with a healthy, slowly dissipating head - slightly off white.

S - There's everything you would expect from an Imperial IPA - heavy citrus / floral character, supported with some sweeter malts - but then there's this rather unpleasant layer of chives or garlic or something.

T - Just as expected. Hop bomb hits initially (with 101 IBUs) but then gets waved over by that onion type flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is just fine for the style, not the issue here.

O - I hope this bottle is over the hill and not demonstrative of the brew.

3.82/5  rDev -6.6%

Maybe I am being a bit sentimental, but this is one of the first Imperials that I really found attractive. It's well balanced, has a smooth mouthfeel and seems to hit all of the notes I look for in an IPA. It is a bit weak on the hops, and I think that the floral notes overtake some of the more subtle flavors right off the bat, so you really have to pay attention to get the entire flavor of this brew.
It's a bit golden for an IPA as well, though there is a great bitterness that really helps this one along. I think they toned down the hoppiness for a little more sweet palate.
Definitely drinkable on any day, but I'd like to think of it as one of those brews on the brink of stardom, but just barely missed the mark.

2.54/5  rDev -37.9%

Slightest cloudiness in a golden pour with a 1 inch head.

Extremely grassy and floral nose with a little orange underneath.

Very grassy start with a medium bitterness. The grassy flavor is strong throughout. Some lemon zest, orange or tangerine as well.

Great mouth feel and well carbonated.

I found the grassy flavor to be far to overpowering. Even letting the beer warm didn’t change the strong grassy taste. It’s not a flavor I hate, but I would prefer it to be balanced better. I love Green Flash Brewing, and their West Coast IPA is among my favorites. However I didn’t like the Imperial version and won’t buy it again.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

22oz bottle from Bruisin Ales (Asheville, NC). 8.99. Served in my $2 snifter from Goodwill.

Nice deep amber with pillowy 2.5+ finger off white head. Abundant lacing as the head recedes & I drink it down. A great looking beer.

Dank hops with faint biscuity sweetness.

There are some nice floral hops initially but not quite what the nose promised. I fear I might have one past it's prime (no date on the bottle to confirm, though). As it warms up those dank hops shine through a little more. There's definately malts there but they stay back to let the hops do the work. Quite nice really.

Medium thick body. Nice resiny sticky on the tongue. Seemingly low carbonation.

Fresh or not, I'd try this again in a heartbeat. The more a drank, the more I wanted! It compares pretty favoribly with Hoppin Frog Hop Dam & Founders Devil Dancer- the two "dankest" Imperial (or triple, as they'd tell you) IPAs I've had. Great job makimg it easy for me to down a 9.4% abv bomber on my own without tasting the alcohol!

3.21/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Green Flash Imperial IPA looks the part, with a yellow-orange body and a large off-white head that leaves behind all sorts of lacing.

The aroma has some citrus from the hops, as well as some resin and vegetal notes. A light, crackery malt base lingers around the edges.

If I liked the hop profile of Green Flash's Imperial IPA, I would love the beer; the malt backbone is nice and the balance is perfect. The beer is neither too sweet or to hot. I do not, however, like the hop profile. I pick up light citrus and resin from the hops, but the main hop flavor is onion and garlic. Bitterness is moderate, probably at a very good level for this beer. The malt profile is understated, with mostly a bit of cracker.

Well carbonated, a little bit oily and slightly biting from the bitterness.

Green Flash Imperial IPA has everything that a big IPA or IIPA should have, and it drinks very well for its ABV. The hops profile, however, isn't my thing. With that said, this is a well-made beer that I don't like, but I could how see others would.

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

Disclaimer: This was the first time I tried this beer on either Tap or Bottle

Poured in a 5oz sampler at Chesterfield Itap.

A: Golden hazy goodness with an off-white head and some sticky lacing

S:Smells of citrus, pine, and some malty sweetness

T: ICK! Tastes like onions, onion, onions, with a bit of sweetness to it.

O: Because of the rancid onion taste I have to rate this low. It was just purely aweful. I couldnt finish my 5oz. However, after reading some other reviews, looks like Ill have to try this in bottle, as it seems quite tasty how others describe it. IDK, maybe it was a bad keg or there was something in the lines.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

i don't have a lucid memory of how this tasted the last time, but i'll do my best to compare this here draft beer with its twin, separated at birth and confined to glass

sampled at the English Cellar Alehouse in Providence

poured a pale amber with sudsy froth. a little coral lacing appeared as the miniscus withdrew, but nothing impressive

bright citrus aromas come fast and strong. sticky and sweet hopsmelling. i think i remember a more nuanced malt profile out of the bottle

though some fruity ale and malt sweetness come through, this is a hop celebration in a glass. thiiick, sticky hops dominate and, frankly, knock the beer out of balance. i remember a maltier flavor profile from the bottled version, including discernible caramel

did i say it was sticky? i think it might have been undercarbonated, which might explain the dull aroma but probably not the missing malt flavors (if anything, increased carbonation would enhance hop perception)

2.02/5  rDev -50.6%

Aroma: Grassy green hop aroma up front with an odd corn-like sweetness that seems weird and out of place.

Appearance: Hazy amber pour with a sticky and sudsy off-white head that retains well.

Flavor: Ick. Corn-like sweetness followed by some earthy bitterness. Onion-like flavors follow and more grassy hop notes. Straw-like hops and fresh cut grass. Balance is to the hops. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is long and oniony.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall impression: This is bad. Summit+Nugget hops = epic disaster. I'm not sure what happened but the recipe formulation is terrible. Avoid.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.09 out of 5 with 2,637 ratings