Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Ratings: 2,632 |  Reviews: 1,003
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours clear copper with a thin tan head. Decent lacing and retention.

S - Nice aroma with sweet tangerine, crisp grapefruit, and overall strong tropical fruits going on here. Plenty of balance with sweet malts, this is a nice "big" smelling west coast dipa.

T - Solid punch of the big citrus fruits picked up in the aroma with a bit more piney hoppiness. A bit more earthy flavor as well. Malts don't come off as sweet as the smell indicates, more of a dry bread. Very solid.

M - Nice and chewy, very nice smoothness. Right on point for a DIPA.

O - Definitely above average, solid flavors and smell. I'll pick one up anytime I see it.

Tasted May 22, 2011 at the Elite Brands GIBF at Falling Rock Tap House. Jim Kenny walked me through their line-up.

A: Pours a hazy amber/orange with moderate head retention.

S: This sure is a stinky DIPA (from all the nugget hops, I'm sure)! A wild hop nose, with big and bold earthy spice backing it up. (As a sidenote, Jim Kenny told me the hop farmer absolutely hates having to drive through the field of nugget hops!)

T: Earthy, wild and spicy overall. Not for the timid as this DIPA has it's way with your tastebuds.

M: Feels spicy and drier than some DIPAs I've tasted recently. Solid body that is not thin, but not over-the-top thick either.

O: Seems to be a bit of a polarizing DIPA. I liked it for something a bit off the beaten path, but I'm not sure I'd drink this on a regular basis?

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle. Pours a very hazy amber color with a half inch of head. Lots of lacing. Nice nose of hops. Mostly citrus with some sweet pine. Somewhat tropical. Taste is dry and hoppy. A lot more pine taste than pine aroma. Not much citrus, in fact it is a bit floral towards the end. Creamy mouthfeel as well as being dry. Nice amount of bitterness. Very little alcohol burn. Nicely drinakble for an Imperial. Overall, its a solid Imperial IPA and a good price at that. Worth getting.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Golden orangy colour. Sweet deep pnetrationg nose and there is a juicy deep citric quality here. Firm and full but balanced by some superb supple finesse which manages to just reigns in and nuture that intensity.
Outstanding definition but this is neither wimpy nor brutally harsh.
Suf*ckingperb.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into my Spaten glass. Yellowish, hazy orange. head is two fingers of a tinge off of bright white. Lace appears to be sticky.

Smell is sweet, sticky malts. A ton of sweet smells that remind me of Double Simcoe.

The taste is sweet and "oh my god" boozy. This is (I believe '08 vintage) so I'm not sure how this was fresh. Other than that I am not sure how to explain what is happening to my pallet. My tasting partner and I believe this is what happens to an Imperial IPA after a few years. It turns into a phenomenal Barleywine. Sweet, sweet booze!! MMMhhh!!! I wonder if i can run the Suburban on this?

The mouth is that of a great Barleywine. Sweet, syrupy. Nicely carbonated and rich to the end.

Overall I don't remember this one when it was fresh, but I really love this as a three year old. Highly recommended at any age.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy dark copper color. Lovely big slightly off-white head with good lacing and nice retention.

Smell: The aroma isn't too strong. Fairly biscuity, with light citrus hops.

Taste: There's a fair amount of sweetness starting out, and it just gets stronger as you get towards the finish. Sure, there's some hops and biscuit flavors going on too, but they seem overwhelmed by the sweet, alcoholic malts. The aftertaste is generally bitter, but with some underlying sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and fairly viscous. Very smooth with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Tough with all that sweetness. Very strong in the ABV department, and after a bit you can really taste it in the aftertaste.

I continue to struggle to find a Green Flash beer that I truly enjoy. They all seem to clash with me a bit or otherwise miss the mark. Now that they're moving in just down the street from me, I'm hoping I'll be able to find one that suits my fancy.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I have heard quite a bit about this brewery and was anxious to try this beer. I had this out of a 22 oz.
This poured a nice golden color with a slight haze. The smell had a wonderful hop forward character that i really enjoyed. This is a really big beer and unfortunately the abv is not masked very will. With 102 ibu's you think it would be but i think a little more malt character would have made this great. Overall i enjoyed it but I expect a little more balanced IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Pours a nice orange/tangerine color w/ a beautiful two finger head. Not much carbonation, and decent lacing. Somewhat cloudy, but fairly clear to see through. A really nice looking beer.

S- Orange, tangerine, malt, hops, something funky as well... onion??? not sure what that last thing is. Nice smelling except for that one thing. Would've been a 4.5 otherwise. Solid.

T- Pretty much the same as the nose. It doesn't taste like 101 IBU's to me. It's bitter, but not what I thought it would be. I can't figure out what that off taste is (onion, garlic?) but it really detracts from this beer. It's still tasty, but I've definitely had to lower the score because of that. Tasty, just not as good as their West Coast IPA.

M- Pretty much right with the style, not a whole lot to add to that. Definitely bitter, w/ a smoothness that shows itself in the aftertaste. This and the appearance are the strong suits of this beer for me.

O- Good solid beer that fails to meet the bar West Coast IPA has set. I'm going to have to read some other reviews to see if someone else figured out that onion/garlic smell/taste I was getting. Worth trying if you like the style. Definitely different, and not a bad effort... Just not world class.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a clear orange/brown with two fingers of head that leave a lot of lacing behind.

Smell is the biggest blast of pine/spruce that I can remember. These aromas seem to prevent anything else from coming through except for a small amount of caramel malt.

Taste is similar to smell, with pine hops dominating. There is a bit of caramel malt trying to balance things out, but this is clearly a West Coast hop-dominated DIPA. Leaves a lingering bitterness on the tongue.

Medium bodied oily mouthfeel with nice carbonation. Slightly astringent feeling.

Overall, not the most complex DIPA around, bit still a quite enjoyable, pine hop-forward, beer.

First had: on tap at Burp Castle, NYC, NY

I love a good Green Flash IPA. They're always full of big hops, and when I'm in the mood for a great IPA, I know to reach for a Green Flash. I prefer the regular to the imperial, as far as drinkability goes, but the imperial is still very good.

Poured into a stemglass, a clear, dark golden color with a finger of white head that receded quickly to a thin layer of bubbles. Strong, potent hops fill the nose, and not much else to say about the aroma. Big, big hops on the tongue, with bitterness of citrus zest. Some pine and grass in there, but it's the hops that you notice more than anything. Bitter and very dry finish. You're left feeling like you've just had...an imperial IPA. Medium body and definitely drinkable if you're in the market for hops.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A: light amber to dark gold yellow, very minimal carbonation, 1/2 finger head with almost no lacing present

S: bold hop aroma, cedar tree, freshly cut grass aroma

T: drying effect the coats the tongue with bitterness, it attacks the sides of the tongue and wipes out the salivary glands with a bitter orange rind citrus bitterness, the lack of carbonation makes the IBUS (101) even more pronounced, the hops resonate upon swallowing and the aroma expands

M: the mouthfeel is very thing for a beer this big with a big alcoholic kick, a bit disappointing in this area as you would expect more maltiness or coating to balance, maybe it was intentional to boost up the hop profile but i feel that it results in an inbalanced beer, accomplishing its mission but with a tactless bravado that charges in without finesse

D: The aggressive character of this beer makes it difficult to commit to on a regular basis, a 22oz bomber might be the maximum prescribed value, this beer wears out its welcome on the palate quickly, but the first moments are shocking and note worthy.

Narrative: "Alright, try to calm down" the police sketch artist pleaded "I know it is shocking, but try to remember something...anything." What coudl you tell him, it was so offensive and abrupt, you'd almost rather just put it behind you. "Well it was bitter...unexpected..." "yes yes...go on.." God, what do you tell a complete stranger about a man who confronts you and pushes bitter hops in your mouth, "listen, I just dont feel up to this right now," you still feel its grassy stench in your nasal cavity "ANYTHING HELPS" FINE "OK IT SMELLED LIKE PINE...PINE! Are you happy now?" your jaw lightly clicks in the tense silence that ensues "Did...were there any hops cones or flowers left beh-" "HOW DARE YOU ASK ME SOMETHING LIKE THAT."

4.14/5  rDev +2%

Pours a dark golden yellow with flashes of red and green tint. A slight film for a head with slight lacing.

There is a large malt presence with some orange, and peach in the nose.

The taste presents more hop presence than the nose indicates. Tastes of apricot, peach, orange and the staple west coast pine hops. Some malts back up the bitterness for balance.

Full feeling in the mouth, which is both full in carbonation and presence.

Overall, this is a solid DIPA which fits the billing of both the style and ABV.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

After having the collaboration beer, the Highway 78 Scotch Ale, between Stone and Green Flash, I decided that I'd try out one of Green Flash's beers. My brother told me that their Double Stout is excellent. Since I'm a hop head I got their Imperial IPA.

I love the head on this thing. It forms slowly but gets very big, frothy, and a bit off-white that keeps its shape very well. Though the head remains resilient throughout drinking it doesn't leave a lot of lacing. The color is of clear, bright amber.

Smell-wise the Imperial IPA is very interesting. I can smell it even when I have it sitting on the table next to me. It's like being next to a bouquet of flowers, it's so floral. The hops are earthy, add a grassy smell, and are very herbal as well, adding a marijuana-like smell, but not one that is unappetizing. There's some sweetness in there too that goes well with the aroma of pine resin. Mango/citrus comes out too. They're all the smells I love in an IPA.

This is certainly a very hoppy beer, as it should be. It has a lot of bitterness to it, as the 101 IBUs would attest to. Even when the beer warms up the bitterness of the hops are strong. I think people who aren't hop heads would find this beer too intimidating with the hop bitterness. That's not a knock on the beer, though. Caramel sweetness, pine resin, and mango/pineapple are underlying that help to balance out the beer a bit. It does taste very fresh, as if the hops were just added. There is a grassy breadiness, if that makes sense, to it that helps make it more well-balanced.

This is a medium-carbonated beer that has a with a lighter body than I thought it'd have but it's still medium-bodied. The feel is slick yet a bit chewy. It's pretty drinkable...if you like an abundance of hops. Your palette is definitely destroyed after drinking this. I wish this was a little more well-balanced but it's definitely tasty and a must-drink for any hop head. I really want to eat a pizza with this.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Green Flash Imperial IPA, despite the many reviews, is to me a pretty average IIPA. IT has a lot of tropical and dank hoppiness but also a bunch of sweet fruity flavors and biscuity malts. The color was darker than I was expecting and it was (to me) too sweet for what I consider the hallmark of the style--Pliny the Elder. I had no problem finishing the 11 oz from the bomber I split with a friend, but I would find it hard to drink much more than that due to the cloying and lingering bitterness and sweetness.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

The brew pours a light bright orange hue which colours remind me of a nice dusk sunset with decent carbonation that leaves behind a steady one finger head that stays and leaves heaps of clingy lacing here and there,the smell is abit different to most ADII's that i have had before and strangely enough smells very similar to weed with some subtle aromas of pineapple,wet piney hops,toffee and passionfruit aswell,it has a medium bodied well carbonated mouthfeel and on first sip you can tell this brew is very fresh and the first taste that hits me is tropical fruits but mainly mango and pineapple toned down a little by some boiled candy and barley sugar which in turn is nicely hit with a good wack of piney,herbal,resiny hops which beautifully counteracts any sweetness first encountered to leave you with a semi dry finish on the palette and overall its quite nice without being overley memorable cheers.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Had a goblet for $5 at Liberty St. Tavern. Appeared a clear amber with a short white head. The beer was rich with more classic American citrus hops, along the lines of Cascades, though I don't think those are used here. But it's the same sort of earthy, not quite catty, herbal grapefruit and pine character. There's a big, sort of thick caramel malt and bread backbone that's a little fuller than I'd like. Still, overall this is a fine example of the style. Big American hops backed by rich pale barley.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a bomber bottle (a semi-bargain at $5).

A-- coppery, rather clear for a Double-IPA

S-- smells like a standard IPA-- not overwhelming or pungent, nor all that citrusy

T-- Very hoppy. Just enough citrus to keep it mysterious.

M-- coats the tongue sumptuously.

Terrific beer. Closer to a regular IPA than I expected but that's not a complaint. Some Double-IPA's lack complexity and/or subtlety. This one can hang close to the best.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Copper color with a really nice cream colored head.

S: Huge pine hops and a good dash of some tropical elements- mango and pineapple. Maybe a bit of apricot as well.

T: This is my firstl IPA from Green Flash and it's excellent. The hops are huge, fresh and citrusy but are kept in check by some biscuity hops. I'm going to have to get some more of this one.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A - This beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color. It has a nice 2-finger off white head. The head has excellent retention and leaves tons of great looking lace on the glass.

S - It smells of sweet caramel malts and big piney hops. There are nice tropical fruit and citrus notes such as pineapple, orange, and grapefruit.

T - The taste follows the nose quite a bit. There is some initial malty sweetness, that is followed by tropical fruit notes and piney hops. It is also a bready characteristic as well. The finish has some strong lingering hop bitterness and citrus.

M - It has a medium body and medium carbonation. There is a bit of an oily feel to it. Also, there is some mouth puckering hop bitterness.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down easy and has great flavor. If you like high IBU beers, I think you will enjoy this one. I would definitely pick this one up again.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

I have always been a huge fan of Green Flash West Coast IPA, aside from it's price tag. Therefore I am going into this one with high hopes.

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a one finger white foamy head. Very sticky lacing on this one with a persistent head.

S - Citrus and piney hops, and not much else. Very sweet aspect as well.

T - Wow! Initial blast of sweet, citrus hops followed by a wallop of piney, earthy hops. Sweet, dry and boozy in the finish. Hints of tangerine and mango for sure. Not overly sweet with a bit of woodiness or oak.

M - A bit too oily and overcarbonated for the style in my opinion. Medium bodied and slick on the lips.

D - Prepare to have your palatte destroyed for the rest of the night. Way too hoppy and sweet to session but this bomber is indeed going to be drank.

Overall, very good example of my favorite style. Haven't had a beer from Green Flash that I haven't liked, and for $5.99 this was a great value taboot.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%

650ml bomber poured into tulip April,15 2011

A clear copper with not much for visible carbonation but somehow produces a thumbs width of cream colored foam the has a short life but leaves a fair bit of lace

S nice nose with tangerine, grapefruit, guava, pine and toffee, pretty strong tropical fruits going on here and I like it a fair bit, this is what I think of when a big West Coast DIPA is what I'm thinking about. I could smell this all day

T now its all about the rind of the big citrus fruits I could smell and there's a little more pine, something should be said for how well concealed the booze is and it has some earthy tones but compared to the smell it's lacking (still good though)

M fairly bitter but I wouldn't guess 100+ IBU's but I'm not that surprised I suppose, leaves some grit on the gums and I'd be tasting this even after a few lagers

O a solid DIPA and if .25 increments were an option here they would have been dropped a couple times so I'll make up for it in the overall

I'm a little surprised how fast this bomber hit my gut (and my head for that matter) but what can you do? world class smell going on here and its very drinkable for a big hop bomb that should make this one worth seeking out if your a hop head

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap into snifter.

A - Nice, hazy golden orange. Good head formation and lacing

S - Some citric fruits (lemon, oranges), grassy, caramel malt

T - I did not pick up very much citric fruits except at the very first sip. As the flavour develops mid-palate I get all grass, pine and grains. There is also a strong onioness to it, a la Gubna.

M - Medium, sticky, slight burn

O - A well put together IIPA but the presence of that onion flavour took this one back a bit.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 22ozer into a Pint Glass
A - A very nice fresh looking golden color with plenty of orange notes laced in. Nice large bubbly, yet non resiliant white head that leaves a medium sized ring around the edge of the pint glass.
S - A good cirtus hop bomb right away. A lot of sweet fruits on this note an dnot as many bitter fruits. The smell ends with some lemony rhine and no pine in the nnose.
T & M - Awesome citrus hops all over the place. Truly reminds me of a west coast IPA right off the bat. There is not an incredibly strong malty backbone to this brew. It is nothing but fresh, sugary citrus with a bitter hop finish. THe beer is incredibly smooth with chewy note as well.
O - Great IPA, what I think of as a westy IPA through and through. I really enjoyed this one. If I were to pick out one flaw (like picking out the one flaw in a nice looking model) the smell is nice but simple.

-Cheers

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass
*No dating visible but bottling number located on bottom

A: Pours a slightly hazy orangish color - almost a light copper with dark golden hues. A nice 1.5 finger of lumpy off-white head formed that was gone in just a few minutes. Some intermittent lacing down the glass as well.

S: Very nice and clean aromas of bright citrus - lemon peel and orange rinds here. Some slight floral notes as well. I pick up a little bit of sweet caramel after the beer settles a bit but it is mostly all sweet citrusy hops baby.

T: BIG HOPS - Sweet candied citrus fruits, lemon zest, and sticky resinous pine flavors are very abundent here. Bitters are present throughout but not overbearing on the palate. A nice peppery sensation down the throat. Caramel sweet throughout but not heavy malt whatsoever. Slight warming affect.

M: Great combo of creamy and sticky mouthfeel that hangs on to the palate and is balanced well with a slight puckering from the bitterness.

D: I would say above average by DIPA standards. The ABV's are masked incredibly well here with only a slight warming towards the end as the big sweet hoppiness starts to fade.

A must try for those in search of a true hop bomb. Albeit a little one-note with the overall profile of flavors this brew is crafted incredibly well. A great hop delivery with really nice balance for such a big beer. Chuck Silva is the man and it's all about the hops!

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Cracking this one open and hoping it's fresh. Poured a clear copper color with a big sticky and resiny looking off-white colored head.

Aroma has plenty of citrusy tangerine and grapefruit to go around, but also a strong pine/evergreen scent going to. Agitating the beer a bit allows for some bready malt characters to show through.

Taste was plenty hoppy but not as bitter as expected. Lots of hoppy citrusy and evergreen flavors with a good showing of malt backbone too. Seems heavy on the late addition finishing hops in the boil kettle.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a solid medium body feel but nothing spectacular. Overall, a solid double IPA but I would love to know how fresh I'm having this. It was new to the store I bought it from but that doesn't mean it was new to the distributor. I'll score it for what it is, but certainly knowing the date of bottling would be better.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.