Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

Ratings: 2,634 |  Reviews: 1,003
3.94/5  rDev -3%

Color is a nice golden orange color with a solid white head and good belgian lacing. Aroma of grassy hops with a little bit of malt background. Full bodied and chewy, good CO2. Pretty well balanced for sucha big beer, not too sweet and a hop monster flavor with balanced bitterness. Easy to get yourself hurt drinking this one.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Golden/orange coloration with one finger of frothy head. Thin film continues throughout the glass leaving a fair amount of lacing.

S: Lots of citrus with a hint of alcohol.

T: Crispy sweetness at first quickly followed by a complex, but mostly piney, bitterness. Some floral flavors mix with the taste of alcohol. Bread and caramel notes ride throughout. Bitter, alcohol aftertaste.

M: Good consistency. Nicely carbonated, if not a bit overdone.

D: The alcohol is definitely noticeable in this one and the bottle claims 101IBUs. A sipper, and I don't think I'd drink more than one, but this is a nicely complex and satisfying beer.

There is something unique about the hop profile in this IPA. Perhaps this is due to the Nugget hops, which I don't remember any other IPA I've tried having. Anyway, not my favorite but worth trying.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Cloudy orange and slight amber in color. Small fizzy white head. Decent lacing on the glass.

S- Huge sweet and sharp fresh floral hops. Excellent.

T- Sharp hop bitterness with a floral blanket overall. Some toasty malt at the very end. Slightly to sharp of a bitterness for my tastes. However I don't think this is a fresh bottle.

M- Thick bodied. Slightly sticky

D- Smooth, smells great and tasts great. Just a tad to bitter though however this is a great DIPA.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two white wine glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist. Extra special thanks to Ineedabeerhere for the trade and hook-up!

A: Pours a hazy, apricot-nectar color with a very small light-orange/off-white head.

S: Big aromas of caramel at first that gradually blend into pine, grapefruit, and pineapple. Vaguely spicy aroma of cinnamon or nutmeg...or both?

T: See above. As it warms citrus, spice, and even biscuit flavors become very apparent. Tastes like fresh squeezed hop juice!

M: Oily and very sticky. Spicy juicy hops coat like paint.

D: Fantastic stuff. Straight out of Heather's food fridge, this was far too cold. As it warmed this absolutely came alive. Do not serve too cold!

4.79/5  rDev +18%

Appearance: Mango colored cloudy

Smell: Pine, Grapefruit, Green Apple

Taste: Grapefruit, Wheat, Hint Blueberry and Mint flavor.

Mouthfeel: Full Bodied Smooth Tannins

Drinkability: Session or Sipper Whatever you can handle! I was amazed with the flavors in this Double IPA. A friend had it in his fridge and we tried it - I'm excited to taste more beer from Green Flash.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz bomber. Many thanks to torchednoodle for this surprise!

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a 2" head. Fresh, raw hops dominate the aroma.

Tons of sweet grapefruit, some pineapple. Balanced with (quite) sweet malt, with just a hint of something darker at the end. Nicely bitter finish. Palate-wrecker, but very enjoyable.

Mouthful is on point. Went down very easy.

Just a fantastic DIPA. True west coast style. Thanks again!

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed this at Bierkraft. I was told that this was dry hopped in the cask.

A: Clear with a mild haze and absolutely no head, the pour is a little disappointing. Copper/amber in color.

S: Absolutely awesome hop aroma up front, with plenty of pine, abrasive and fresh. Really is pine juice, this. Some citrus is present as well, with a bright tangerine aroma. Mild mint character is noticeable as well. Excellent. Malt is not really noticeable, this is a treat

T: Opens up beautifully hoppy, with plenty of hop flavor, piney in character. Excellent bitterness as well, the balance between the flavoring and bittering hops is spot on, the way I like it. Hop flavors are as on the nose - pine with some citrus. Mildly spicy in the back, with a little bit of pepper and some mint. Malt? Practically non-existent, this beer is dry, and finishes so, with a gorgeous hop bitterness

M: A little soft of the carbonation, but that doesn't detract much from the rest of this fantastic experience this beer is. Excellent, light body, exceptional finish.

D: Splitting the remains of this growler with a couple of friends, this is hysterically easy to drink

Note: This beer is better than my score indicates, it really is fabulous!

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a great clear amber/copper with an abundant frothy head. The head is white and thoroughly impressive, very slow to dissipate. A bountiful amount of lacing was left in the glass.

Very fragrant, clean and citrusy smelling. Almost a grapefruit and pine cone aroma. There are also hints of a sweet and inviting aroma.

Very bitter but pairs well with the big caramel tasting backbone. The bitterness reminds me a lot of lemon zest, very citrusy and drying. The sweetness on the finish leaves your mouth watering for more.

This beer has good carbonation packed in a medium body. It is smooth but hard to distinguish from the bitterness. I enjoyed the way it coated my mouth and left it feeling oily.

This is a beer the average hop head should thoroughly enjoy. However, the high ABV and super bitterness will limit the volume consumed. This is a true San Diego style IIPA. My taste buds were shot after two pints.

The Green Flash Imperial IPA poured a hazy orange color with a good 2 finger foam head with some nice and sticky lacing. The smell was fairly subdued to me for a double but still lovely. The taste has a solid malt backbone with wicked hoppiness.

The first sip you see how powerful hoppy this one is. As it warms it becomes a tad bit smoother but is still pretty aggressive and a tad abrasive. Overall I liked it and would buy it again but I still would prefer the pliny.

Tried my first bottle this Spring and put one away to taste in a few months.

Great first impression of this brewery. I anticipated another kinda standard high hop IPA, which is what I wanted, but was pleasantly suprised by this one.

A - orangish golden color with plenty of head

S - citrus, hop

T - citrus, pine

M - crisp with smooth finish

D - very nice, I wish I picked up another bomber or two.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, label has IBUs and ABV, but no date.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange color, nice head that fades slowly, just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Sticky hop aroma - smells a bit sweet and some resinous pine aroma.

Taste: Quite a bit of hop flavor, not overly bitter. Quite a bit of malt sweetness in there.

Overall impression: Typical American DIPA, but good flavors and plenty drinkable - this is a nice example of the style (as you would expect from San Diego).

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy orange/brown amber. Less than one finger white head, which doesn’t stick around very long. Diminishes to a nice mottle bubble coating. Visible bubbles on glass when poured, which some good visible carbonation. Some lacing, but nothing spectactular.

Smell: A strong nose of fresh hops, big but not overpowering. The hops are sweet, fruity, and candy like. Citrus and pine are also present.

Taste: First impression is that it is a little too strong, making it slightly harsh. The alcohol (9%) and bitter hops hit first; definitely a pucker moment. The hops taste a bit darker and not as appealing as the smell, but still alright. Sweet, like an IPA should be, but not overly so. There’s a slight off taste after the hops with some malt to balance the beer, but only slightly. Raisin taste that lingers for awhile.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied beer, with a big alcohol bite. The beer itself is smooth, but the alcohol works its way back and tickles the throat fast and early.

Drinkability: A beer that had incredible promise, but just ended up being way too much. It looks and smells wonderful, but the taste leaves much to be desired. The alcohol isn’t hidden at all, making it tough to do anything but sip. I'll have to try this again sometime, but right now its not for me.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

poured from a bomber into a 20oz pint glass. pours a cloudy golden/orange color with a thin white head. aroma is hoppy with citrus and pine. taste is crisp and refreshing with hop and grapefruit present. has a slight bitter aftertaste, but this beer is drinkable, and could drink all night long.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A- yellow copper hue i always like my beers to be a bit more cloudy white head and white lacing around the glass

S- not so much defiantly hops but not really any pine or citrus to it which i always like IPA and DIPAs to have

T- this is were the beer really shines.... explosion of hops on the palate not to complex but but very tasty in that if u like hops and lots of them this is your beer

M- great not to heavy and not to light gear for this style

D- also great not boozy at all goes down real smooth i could have a few of these

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was just as i expected it to be, extremely hoppy with a great malt backing to balance the taste and leave with a great aftertaste. The alcohol level was well hidden with the west coast hoppy goodness packed in. I really enjoyed this beer and hope to have it again soon. Once again, a great beer produced by Green Flash brewers!

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer was in my closet for 6 months before I opened it. Might not have been the way it was meant to be drank, but still an impressive beer. Read my review with that in mind.

Nice golden orange appearance, deliciously sweet smell, taste is less hop flavored than expected, but it's still a delicious beer. The smell is malty and the taste has an extremely even balance between malt and hops with a nice sharp hops bite at the end. I taste caramel as well as that citric finish. It is fairly drinkable, but does have a nice alcohol burn to it. I don'tlike this as much as their barley wine, but I hope to drink it again.

In direct comparison to a no more than 2 month old hopslam, this beer has no hops flavor. Tastes more like a Belgian IPA at this point as opposed to an American. I've yet to drink a fresh bottle of this, but after reading some other reviews, I'm confident aging this one has a significant effect.

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

Green Flash is one of those Breweries that will absolutely knock your socks off and it's apparent the first time you have one of their beers. I'm still on the look-out for Le Freak.

Poured into a Duvel glass with a half inch head that remained for about 30 minutes. The look is beautiful. This IPA really have a radiant glow about it. It's not clear (which to me is a great sign) and the head is rough and billowy.

The smell is a little grainy with hop oil but is quite unrefined for my nostils. I can dig the wheat-like aroma (not used to that in an IPA but it's cool). The hops are resiny and full of kick!

The taste is big. I love the passion in the flavor here. The flavors seem to build until your tongue almost puckers like you're drinking a heavy hitting sour (only replace sour with Hopbomb).

The mouthfeel is pefect for the DIPA style. I like the viscous hop oil resins. I love the pefect carbonation and the alcohol roundness is right in line.

Drinkability is off the charts for the strength. I drank half the bottle before I realized the hold it had on me. Suddenly I loved everything around me and couldn't figure out why - then I realized I had 9% of goodness going down the gullet!

Overall this brew is tasty to the last drop and I won't hesitate to buy 2 more the next time I see it.

Great golden appearance slightly cloudy but overall looked very nice.

The smell was citrus and hops nice and inviting despite the alcohol content couldnt pick it up in the smell. also picked up a few floral notes on the second pass

The taste was good dry hoppy bitterness. Followed by a few fruit tastes maybe grapefruit. The hops were a bit overwhelming but had a good balance

The mouthfell was smooth and had a bit of carbonation but very nice and drinkable also.

I would definately recommend this to anyone who is a fan of IPA's plan on getting this one again because of the great balance and mouthfeel

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured as a deep hazy burnt orange with a firm 1-2 finger head. Excellent lacing along the sides of the glass throughout the tasting.
S: A strong smell of pine and citrus hops dominated the aroma.
T: A very tasty brew. The taste matched the nose - pine and citrus hops initially dominated. I got a strong sensation of grapefruit and orange zest. The malt was faintly hidden in the background. The pine kicked in at the finish.
M: A medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation.
D: Very drinkable. One of my favorite IIPAs.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a tulip. Great thick two-finger head lingers for a bit before it pulls back and leaves a wonderful lacing on the glass. Appears a darker orange, with no real opacity whatsoever. In fact, compared to a couple other IPAs I've had, this is very very clear.

Smell is definitely the first thing I notice about this brew. Probably the most fragrant IPA, or IIPA for that matter, I've had; strong hints of pine and hops dominate the bouquet, so much so that after five minutes of sitting on my table, my entire room now smells of wilderness. Excellent.

While it smells of fresh hops, citrus notes are first and foremost on the palate, with the hops only present on the finish. Very balanced for an IIPA; there's a hint of alcohol taste, but it blends well with the citrus. Only other IIPA I've had that is as balanced and yet has such depth is HopSlam.

Mouthfeel is great, with a relatively light carbonation that doesn't stampede over the taste. Overall this feels like a very light beer that shouldn't be hard on the stomach, even if it is 101 IBU's.

Drinkability is definitely there; it really does its best to try to edge out HopSlam in this category. Even after one bomber my tastebuds aren't completely dead; on the contrary, they keep on telling me they want more!

Ultimately, this is quickly becoming my favorite IIPA. Third time I'm having Green Flash IIPA, and it hasn't disappointed me yet. No other IIPA I've had has a bouquet that's so fresh and inviting. The IBU's don't seem noticeable at all, and this is THE beer that I'm thankful comes in bombers and not sixers; I can easily see myself downing three or four of these before I realize I'm out for the count.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Beer poured into a Paulaner Wesbier glass. A clean white 2 finger head forms and holds nicely for more than a few sips. Beer is a translucent golden yellow color. Smell is pure hops with some citrus. If you like hops, you'll love the smell of this one. Taste is excellent; surprisingly, malts come through up-front and then the primary taste is well balanced off with the hops. The finish is hops as you would expect, but you can still taste the malts. Beer is light on the palate and the ample carbonation helps the beer dance across the toungue. I enjoyed this beer tremendously.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Decanted into a standard pint glass at fridge temps.

The pour produces a clover honey colored brew, with a nice sized head .. especially for an IIPA. Big splashes of lacing around the glass make for a great first impression. Beautiful in the glass.

The nose is citrus heaven. The Summit hops are huge citrus producers, and this is no exception. The entire range is there, from grapefruit to orange rind, to tangerine. Tough to pick up on any malts through the hop onslaught.

Taste follows the nose. The hop bill in this IIPA is Summit and Nugget; a very happy marriage I must say. Wonderful citrus (grapefruit is the first thing that you taste) notes, with the Nuggets adding a touch of earthy floral notes. I'm sure they used a ton of malts to balance this big boy, but they are fighting awfully hard to make their presence known, as is the 9% abv. No alcohol burn at all, but I'm sure I'll feel it after I kill this bomber! Definitely a West Coast DIPA kind of beer, which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is medium-full, which I like. Ahh, there come the malts (on about the 10th sip), and they are managed easily by the hops and nice carbonation. This isn't cloying, but after the beer warms up a bit, you will notice the malt bill. Nicely balance (towards the hop side, obviously) for a respectably sized IIPA. As for drinkability, its very drinkable all right. But I'm afraid I'd probably pass out by the time I killed two bombers of this stuff, so let's just say it's very drinkable, but not in 'session brew' quantities.

I've been drinking a lot of Hop Wallop lately (I have a case of it) and this is as good or better; which is saying a lot, because I obviously think highly of Victory's Hop Wallop. I love the Summit "smack you upside the head with a grapefruit" nose and flavor.

I'll be buying more of this .. definitely! You should check it out if you're any kind of hophead, or just appreciate a good IIPA!

Na Zdravje!

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks goes out to alexd3891 for this awesome extra! Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with a small off-white head that left some surprisingly nice lacing for such a high ABV. Aroma is piney with hints of orange-like citrus. There is also a huge peppery and herbal like spiciness to the nose which is quite different but nice. Taste is nice and bitter, plenty of grapefruit and pine resin, a solid cracker-like malt backbone, and again with peppery spiciness and herbal notes that were in the aroma. Sweet at first, dry and puckering on the finish. Medium body, good carbonation. This is a very tasty beer, different than many DIPAs I've come across.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange/gold and very hazy. Has a good, thick head and some really phenomenal lacing.

Smell: This one showcases the pine characteristics of the hops moreso than the grassiness or citrus flavors. Has a skunky grassy flavor going on as well (but not like a skunked beer at all) and the 9% ABV is nowhere to be found.

Taste: Very hoppy, again with the pine characteristics dominating. The malt is detectable and manages to hold up to the intense hops flavor. The hops bitterness lingers quite a while in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Slightly less thick and sticky than I'd like for a DIPA. It has a good, moderate level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is very drinkable for a beer with such a high ABV but it was difficult to finish an entire bomber without wanting to switch back and forth with something with less hops intensity as I usually do when drinking 100+ IBU DIPA's.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Reviewed 9/25/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear honey-red colored body, with a frothy white head, good lacing and lasting. Has a grapefruity, bitter aroma. A hoppy bitter taste, real bitter, and dry. Like sticking your face in horsefeed. Rougher as it warms up.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.