Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale AleGreen Flash Imperial India Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

he mountains of Summit and Nugget hops in this high gravity Imperial will thrill even the most experienced beer explorer. Savory evergreen and pineapple aromas mingle with flavors of bitter, resinous pine and grapefruit pith. A colossal rush of hoppy adventure!

Added by Terp96 on 12-02-2006

17%

Reviews: 1,001 | Ratings: 2,621
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

on tap at the Bistro in Hayward, CA. Served golden/straw yellow, big froyhy white head. Great lacing. Huge pine aroma and some significant catty/garlic/onion. Tons of resinous pine and grapefruit notes. Very dry, but the hops stick in your mouth. Huge hop flavor, more garlic in the flavor. Heavy resinous thick, stick on your tongue hops. It's awsome. Kinda subtracts from the drinkability though. I think I need some water now.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

What a great IPA. Pours out a mildly hazy golden copper, with a thin bubbly head that fades gradually. Nose is pine forests, resin like a violin bow, and intense cascade hops. Sour citrus and alcohol notes come through.
Taste is intense hops, more pine, and a nice malty middle. Very well balanced, yet strong flavors. Lingering oily hops on the finish. Mouthfeel is good. Drinkability great for an imperial IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bomber as soon as I could after picking it up, on the advice of the beerista. A little cloudy, a little orange, it hit the nose with fruit and hops. The interesting thing about this tasty beer was, and I never thought I would say this about a beer, but it was little like drinking "bud"....if that makes any sense..
Fruity, hoppy, and more hoppy, little carbonation, very drinkable, it was all I needed on a weekend night when I usually chase a bomber with a 12 oz. bottle, I would buy a few more of these and store them away, one for a month or two from now and one for the end of the summer, Id like to see how it ages a bit.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer is everything I ask for in DIPA. It's nice and bitter, fruity (grapefruit), balanced, drinkable, and thankfully, not too sweet. Has some nice girth on the palate, yet goes down easily. A surprising treat, since I didn't know this was even available in this part of the world.

I had this from a cask-conditioned woodpin, day #2 of being opened.

This particular batch was a cloudy apricot color with little to no carbonation. Some slight large bubbles were apparent from the initial pour, but they quickly dissipated to a flat appearance. There was a substantial amount of sediment suspended in the beer which was not dropping to the bottom of the glass. In fairness to the brewery, I will admit the woodpin was disturbed prior to my glass being poured.

The aroma was simply outstanding. It had a sweet hop presence which was citrus in nature; however, I found it to be sweetly unique in that it resembled a pineapple moreso than orange or grapefruit.

The beer had a sweet start with a grapefruit presence in flavor which was quick on the tounge. A Flas (no pun intended) of hops with a bitter finish was also present.

The sensation was initially a watery entrance with a slight effervencent feeling on the toungue. The finish was quite dry.

Overally, I'd have to say this beer is not well balanced. There is no malt presence, and it comes off as being a hop bomb for no specific reason other than to see how hoppy a hop beer can get. I like IPAs, but I did not care for this one or it's non-imperial counterpart (reviewed previously).

I had 1 12oz pour which I could not finish.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A pretty good ipa.

Beautiful amber/orange color. moderate off white head and bubbly lacing.

I didn't get too much off the nose. Medium grapefruit, pine, and hops.

On the lips it hits pretty big. Fresh, full, and you guessed it, lots of hopps! Sweet citrus finish. Took my fungiform papillae for a ride.

ipa's are what got me into drinking good beer and i would suggest this to anyone looking for some flavor.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Picked up this beer while in Denver for GABF last year.

Pours an orangish-amber color with slight haze and big, fluffy head. Aroma displays a biscuity malt sweetenss with overlying hop tones of citrus and pine. Not as much hop character in the nose as I would expect.

Flavor displays a nice, chewy malt backbone with lightly toasted sweetness, big body, and a little alcohol. Hop character is accented towards flavor instead of bitterness, with an almost minty essence and resinous finish.

Overall, a solid IIPA and my first sample of a beer from this brewery. Worth a try if you get a chance to sample it.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from bottle into my affligem goblet. GVery clean looking beer- orange color with firm off white head. Head leaves tons of sticky lacing around glass. Not so abundant aromas. Somewhat lacking, but I pick up on some citrusy hops. Most Dipa's tend to blow me away with the smell, this one does not. Good hop bitterness from start to finish. Some citrus- grapefruit, orangey flavors with a lighter finish than expected. Makes it very drinkable for a double. Good beer!

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours clear honey amberwith thick frothy head that is long lived and leaves a nice bubbly lace. Smells of floral hops, light sweet malt, and is just a little musty. The IF is well balanced between malt and bitter hops. The aftertaste is increasingly bitter and lingers for a long time. Medium bodied with a dry finish. Overall, this beer is pleasant if not terribly interesting. Clean flavor but not something I would seek out for a tasting and too strong for a session beer. For the price, buy a stone or an alesmith and you will be happier.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Good looking beer, very clean with no carbonation bubbles. Aromas of light lemon but far from overly citrus. Can't believe this is a imperial ipa, not overly boozy. hoppy almost to the point where I would think this is an English style ipa. Probably not something I'd purchase again and I love every style ipa.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Great appearance for style, looks a little gold, a little orange. White head puffs up a bit, gets out of the way, and then recedes. Very nice.

The aroma, to me, is the real highlight of this brew. Knock you on your ass from a foot away citric hops, running the gamut from Northwest pine to grapefruit zest. Absolutely terrific, although to be sure, a bit one sided.

The flavor thins out a bit, those flavor are still there from the nose, but really they just wreck the taste buds. A bit too potent are the hops, leaving a peppery bitter aftertaste. I still really enjoy it, but they've gone a bit lop-sided on the poor caramel-pale malt.

I think this leads to a mouthfeel that is too thin to sustain overall drinkability. A fine ale in small quantities is my analysis; or if you're really just looking for a nice burst of flavorful hops.

2.26/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

So I stupidly ordered this today at the Falling Rock after disliking three bottles! I'd drink one, get disgusted, and a couple months later I'd think "nah, must have been a bad bottle" and I buy another which provides the same results. I'm so smart I thought well, I'll try it on tap! It looked great so I can't knock that. The aroma started hoppy and ok but then devolved into black pepper, fuck. The taste was more pepper, garlic, messed up. I cannot understand this beer. It does not make sense to me and I like hoppy beers. It is completely incongruous. Why can't they just make a double West Coast IPA?

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Bomber given to me as a gift from my brother in law.

A- Golden, mildly bubbly...nice white head about 2 fingers thick with thick, sticky lacing. Head stayed nice and strong nearly the whole beer.

S- All hops, as well it should be, quite complex and perfectly balanced. Very citric and floral, reminiscent of Cascade or Centennial hops, perhaps some Crystal or Willamette...very tangy grapefruit and pine notes strong on the finish, fresh floral deep in the middle of the nose.

T- Again, starts off with fresh flowers, goes grassy, some sweet honey, finishes with the tartness of grapefruit peel. Alcohol is not real apparent.

M- Not too dry, but very clean and fresh feeling. Clears the palate a little, with some residual bitterness and a lingering subtle sweetness.

D- Good warm weather beer, something to try between ales or with some cheeses.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

22 oz bomber purchased from Oliver's 3/28/2008.

My only regret is I did not buy all the bombers. Not sure how fresh this would be, I was cautiously optimistic.

Appearance is a crisp, clear, light gold, with a billowing white head.

Aromas are just wild. Fresh peeled grapefruit, fresh picked raspberries and blackberries, lemon zest, drying pine needles, pine sap, and some trying to peer through undertones of clean malt. Alcohol is well hidden.

Taste is very clean, very much if not 98% on the hop side, very fresh tasting hop experience. The malt is there, but only to carry the hop flavors around the tongue. Flavors on the hops are more a mix of citrus fruit and tropical fruits.

I am usually one to preach balance, but this is an Imperial IPA that absolutely showcases the magnificence of the hop vine. Very good mouthfeel, clean bright tastes and aromas. And for 9% abv extremely pleasant drinker.

More please.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

This poured a hazy bright gold with light yellow head. It smelled like honey and lemon hops with some cultured yeast. It tasted super bitter and dry with a blend of citrus and copper hops and a slight alcohol flavor. It was watery with a bit of carbonation and a very clean aftertaste of strong bitterness. Overall this was a powerful beer, good for sipping. But its flavor wasn't as balanced, and it wasn't as thick as I hoped (compared to other 2IPAs).

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up this bomber after being impressed with their West Coast IPA and Barleywine. This beer pours about three fingers of thick, white, foamy, clumpy head and an awfully clear light orange color. Dense clumps of lacing abound.

Smell is great. Dank, resinous, grapefruit and citrus but with a musky earthy, herbal undertone. It's like nothing else I've smelled before - must be the relatively new Summit hop variety. It's most reminiscent of Simcoe, just really nice, thick and clean. Oh yeah, there's a bit of malt sweetness on the nose but not much.

Wow this thing is bitter. Warning: drink as a nightcap, for you will not be able to taste anything else for days after. The resinous character carries over providing something else to focus on besides the sharp bitterness at the back of the mouth and sides of the tongue. The hops are relentless, herbal and earthy with a grapefruit sourness.

What can you say about the mouthfeel and drinkability? It's beautiful if you can't get enough hops. But at a time when a lot of brewers really can't, I'd settle for more malt presence in an IIPA like this. The hops stick mini needles into your tongue with each gulp, sending alcohol straight through your blood stream to your dome, and back out your legs so you can't move off your chair.

Some relief comes as the beer warms but at that point I'm taking things slow. One of these is more than enough. Recommended for the most adventurous of hopheads. You have been warned.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Got a 22oz bottle at BevMo for about $5.

A nice West Coast Imperial IPA, with a clean citrus hops bite and alcohol aftertaste that is just about right. Doesn't quite have the malty sweetness or balance of a 90 Minute or Maharaja, but still a reasonably priced, solid IIPA. I could have easily had a couple bottles in a sitting.

This one is worth checking out, and I will buy it again.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Clear dark golden body... frothy white head.. decent lacing..

S: Lovely blast of Summit and Nugget hops... when the beer hit the glass there was just a beautiful release of pine and citrus aromas.

T: Slightly unbalanced but still delicious. Lots of piney character comes through... some citrus comes through after the initial blast.. subtle malt background.. crisp bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied with decent carbonation ... pine leaves a resiny feel in the mouth after each sip...

D: Solid imperial ipa... its a good one to crack open from time to time...

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Nice lively head, almost three fingers with a classic golden amber color that you would expect from an IPA.

Smelled of hops; grassy and pine, but not as strong as I expected from an Imperial.

Taste frankly was disappointing. I was hoping for a hop bomb, but bitterness was almost totally missing. That being said, there was a nice piney flavor, just weaker than even some IPA's I like. Aftertaste was also weak, bland to me.

Mouthfeel was good, nice carbonation all the way down.

As far as drinkability, when I open an Imperial IPA, I want to experience massive hops and bitterness, and got very little of this. I suppose this would make it even more drinkable for some, but for the style, it's not what I was looking for or hoping for.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in an oversized wine glass.

Slightly hazy, glowing auburn in color beneath a bright white, creamy head that holds as sheets of bubbles. Dimpled and thin lacing with an artistic arrangement.

Very strong pine-filled hop oils; cannabis-scented. Skunky resins but pleasant. Bright citrus and lime. Odd aromatics but intriguing.

Pine and spruce-filled resins with pleasant, fresh herbs. Semi-sweet malt base with an adequate stability for the pungent, brightly gritty hop profile. Notes of green apple, grapefruit, pear, and peach. Full crisp bitterness with notes of herbs, pine, and spruce.

Almost full in body; very oily, almost earthen with the abundance of hop resin. Balanced for the flavor intensities.

An unusual-flavored Double IPA. Obviously distinct; odd, but I'm craving more. An exciting, novel-tasting version of the style.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

22-oz bomber poured into pint glasses.

A = Slightly hazy amber, big off hiwte head with good retention, mixture of foam, medium and large bubbles, heavy lacing.

S = Green apples, grapefruit rinds, pine.

T = Very bitter, as with the smell there are tart unripe apples, grapefruit and grapefruit zest, fresh young pine tips, some slight sweetness from the malt, but mostly just hops flavors, some slight watery thinness in the taste begins at mid-palate though.

M = Medium bodied, stings a littel on the tongue, good mouthcoating.

D = This is an okay DIPA, but it is pretty one note.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

22 ounce bomber poured into two Chimay goblets.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper in color...ideal for an IPA. Poured with a medium head which dissipated in uner 2 minutes. The bear left a light lacing on the glass.

Smell: The bottle indicates a unique mix of Summit and Nugget hops. I'm less familiar with the Sumit hops, but a quick look shows they're an extremely high alpha acid hop and likely contribute a good deal of the citrusy notes in the nose of this beer and were used, I suspect, in dry hopping. I use Nugget hops frequently and their piney essence was also present. Little to no malt aroma, but with an imperial IPA from the west coast, I'm not surprised.

Taste: A bit surprising, but the piney nature of the Nugget hops shone through more than expected. There's still a fair amount of citrus and grapfruit taste up front and just a touch of menthol/alcohol before the underdone malt backbone kicks in. This beer would benefit from more malt presence and a bit better overall balance. Yes, yes I know...Imperial IPAs are not about balance, but it does need more malt. The bitterness is strong, but it did not ruin my palate. That's a bit surprising since it lists 101 IBUs which is at the high end that most palates can discern.

The second goblet (see above) sat a bit longer and as it warmed, the pine essence retreated and gave way to more citrus and a bit more maltiness. An interesting change in the beer, but welcome. In both versions, the itterness is maintained throughout the tasting. It drops off only slightly even with several minutes between sips.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated with very small bubbles. Light body, but a slightly syrupy consistency which coats the mouth. Dry finish with a lingering bitterness that barely fades. I didn't note any difference between the colder and warmer versions.

Drinkability: Hopheads, rejoice! All others this beer is true to the style. Noone expects this to be a session beer, but drinking anything more than a bomber would likely require some kind of food pairing (spicy Thai?).

I'd like to try it again and match against its little brother, the West Coast IPA.

-Kevin.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

Bomber poured into my pint glass produced a good two fingers worth of that had great retention. On top of a clear copper body

Tons of floral hop aroma citrus and pine fill your nose

Wow this has a good balance in flavor for 101 I.B.U there is enough malt to keep the hops in check

Mouth feel is medium with average carbonation

Good beer, the alcohol was well hidden to me. I don't think I could drink more than one bomber of these per sitting

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from bomber into glass - a little lighter than expected, with decent head - fair amount of lacing.

Bountiful floral hops with earthy, rustic malt/water backbone - reminds me of some of the Paper City offerings. Very nice if a little raw.

Hops are a little unbalanced but with this effort it's not a bad thing. Bitterness and floral tones clash with the alcohol and the butterscotch malt tones but it works well.

A little viscosity on the mouth - strong but soothing.

Somewhat heavy as the bomber depletes, but overall a solid effort; there are more well-balanced options out there but this is a nice, rustic change of pace.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Bomber enjoyed on 2/25/08

Poured a lovely, crisp coppery color into my Duvel tulip glass. Average head, but damn what an awesome looking crispness to it.

Smells exactly like what i was expecting, a nice pungent hopppy florally scent not too overpowering.

Loved the taste of the hops hitting popping me lightly in the mouth.

Nice mouth, could have been a little creamier, but not complaining.

Man, i could get in trouble drinking these. My taste buds werent shot after finishingh the bomber like what happens with some other D/IIPA's. Gonna have to pick up another one of these soon.

Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.