Green Flash Le Freak | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Le FreakĀ® is the first-ever hybrid ale of its kind: the convergence of a Belgian-Style Trippel with an American Imperial IPA. This zesty Amarillo dry-hopped, bottle-conditioned marvel entices with fruity Belgian yeast aromatics and a firm, dry finish. Aromas of orange and passion fruit with sweet bready malts, and flavors of orange marmalade and citrus fruit pith. Experience a legendary beer.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

Ratings: 2,415 |  Reviews: 754
2.33/5  rDev -42.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange color. Produced a light cap of white froth.

(S)- A lightly malty biscuit and earthy clay yeast. Bits of lemon and apple.

(T)- A little musty up front with a big yeast and apple flavor. Bits of clay, lemon, and an unknown subtle spice.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. An ok balance, but a bit of a sharp grain and yeast profile to it. Not necessarily bitter, but heavier on the clay and yeast realm.

(D)- Not bad, but a little strange and disjointed. Too old? I cant be for sure due to no bottled date.

2.34/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured from a bomber into Stella Artois chalice.

Bottle states "Extreme ale converging San Diego-style imperial pale ale and belgian-style trippel." If only.

Pours an opaque, hazy amber with some yellow straw color coming through at the edges. A medium-aggressive pour leaves a nice, creamy 2-3 finger head that leaves nice lacing. A bit of yeast-y sediment floating around. If only the rest of the beer was as impressive as it looked.

The nose is all hops. Not really what I was expecting as it is supposed to be an imperial pale ale (not a IIPA) mixed with a trippel. Taste is about the same. Piney, bitter hops from start to finish. The belgian aspect of this beer is almost non-existant, perhaps because the hops are just simply way too over-powering. Reminds me a bit of Brewworks 'Hopsolutely', which is a triple IPA.

IMHO, a pretty poorly executed beer. The balance between the hops and the belgian flavors is completely out of wack. This brew would get much higher marks from me if it was just listed as a DIPA, but I'm rating to style. This brew is completely over hopped (and I'm usually a fan of hoppy beers). I would not seek this out again.

2.38/5  rDev -40.9%

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow with a small white head.

Smell: Estery funk, candy sweetness and hops of the herbal and citrus variety.

Taste & mouthfeel: Candy-like sweetness and fruity esters up front. A bit of yeasty funk is present in the background, lending some nice complexity until the abusively bitter hops begin to rape the palate. This beer has to have the worst balance of hops I've ever tasted - there's little hop flavor or aroma, while the bitterness is completely over the top. Midway through the glass my palate was numb and I couldn't actually taste anything beyond bitterness. Pretty ridiculous stuff, and not in a good way.

2.4/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I'm not impressed with any of the belgian IPA's and this one is as bad as any of them. I love belgians and i love ipas but they don't blend well.

The hops and the belgian character almost cancel each other out and then you're left with a highly alcoholic beer with no additional distinguishing characteristic.

This one looks like a double ipa, smells like a mess and tastes like alcohol.

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear light copper with a creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is interesting and unique - grapefruits and citrus, floral hops, spices and pepper, banana, and sweet sugary malts.

The flavor is sweet gummy malt and melon followed by a big bitter hop finish - floral with some charred tar that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light bodied and watery.

Overall, I didn't really care for the taste profile of the hops or the balance of gummy sweetness and hops.

2.58/5  rDev -36%

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 4.25 - Looks identical to apple juice in color. Ridiculous head potential, foamed up quick, forming a 4 finger, slightly off white colored head. Good head retention and nice solid lacing.
S - 3 - Strange. Sweet hops, grapefruit and oranges, but also some spices such as clove and nutmeg, lots of yeast and that distinct, bubblegum aroma that Belgian goldens have.
T - 2 - Not liking this one bit. Upfront there is a nice sweet citrus taste, but it quickly fades to the aforementioned spices and bubblegum of the aroma.
F - 4 - Standard expected mouthfeel.
O - 2 - To me, this is not a Belgian style IPA but rather an IPA mixed with a Belgian golden and tripel. I understand that Belgian yeast strains are used in the production, but there is just way too much bubblegum and spice in this for me to call it an IPA at all. Didn't enjoy this one bit and thus cannot recommend it.

2.63/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured from a bomber into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Got this in a nice BIF box from domtronzero. I'm looking forward to trying this. I love IPA's but don't care much for Tripel's so it will be interesting to see what happens when they meet.

A - Clear golden body with a decent sized white head resting on top.

S - I smell citrus hop notes and then a whiff of banana and the other aroma's I associate with Belgian yeast.

T - Taste like a mix of the two styles as I should expect... The citrusy hops are the first thing I notice but then the Belgian tripel flavor comes in and takes over. Just really not a big fan of that and it really kills this beer for me.

M - medium bodied, a fair amount of carbonation and some stickiness

D - I really don't like the flavors that come with a tripel and unfortunately they are way too present in this for this to be enjoyable for me. I like the citrus hop flavors but they just aren't strong enough. I'm glad I got to try this but I don't see any reason to try it again in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Good beer but nothing special.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.