Green Flash Le Freak | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak
4.02/5
Exceptional
Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Le FreakĀ® is the first-ever hybrid ale of its kind: the convergence of a Belgian-Style Trippel with an American Imperial IPA. This zesty Amarillo dry-hopped, bottle-conditioned marvel entices with fruity Belgian yeast aromatics and a firm, dry finish. Aromas of orange and passion fruit with sweet bready malts, and flavors of orange marmalade and citrus fruit pith. Experience a legendary beer.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

Ratings: 2,424 |  Reviews: 754

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to shebby for the bottle. Tasted 5 March 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours bright orange, a clean vibrant color. Gentle pour left the yeast in the bottle, with a clean look straight through the glass. A solid column of bubbles rising up to the thick one-finger cap of white head. Good retention and lacing. Almost as good as it gets.

Smell is all Belgian, and I really can't find anything in it that reminds me of an IPA. It smells like a fabulous, fruity Belgian golden or tripel. Juicy, full of Belgian-yeast fruit; loaded with peaches, edged with sweet oranges and melon. Really nice, just odd for a beer brewed at least in part as an IPA.

Taste is a collision of Belgian and IPA, in a way that doesn't really work for me. The Belgian flavor never really gets going, and just when it starts to rise up, it gets kicked back down by a surge of bitterness that's the only IPA element I can find. It's unbalanced, lacking the positive notes from either side of the spectrum. Not really working for me. A clash, rather than a smooth blend, of the two styles.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium-bodied, almost enough carbonation. Lasting, carrying mostly a persistent, slightly dry, acidic bitterness.

Not exactly a dud, but not all that impressive to me. Somehow the hops don't come through, and where they do, it's to the detriment of the beer. Think I would have like it better as a straight Belgian ale.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Had on-tap at Sports Page in Roseville, CA

Appearance - A hazy golden orange, served up with a white, finger width head. Good retention. Spotty lacing.

Smell - Yeasty Belgian funky sourness. Green banana, subtle citrus notes sit beneath.

Taste - Follows the nose. Strong Belgian yeast character, hitting on green banana, funk and subtle spice. Hops pop through mid-taste, hitting on subtle floral character and bright citrus notes, then turn a slightly bitter orange pith in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Somewhat chalky, with a fairly dry finish.

Overall - Fantastic Belgian IPA. Reminds me a lot of the Stone Cali-Belgique, albeit with a significantly stronger ABV. At twice the price, though, I'd opt for the Stone more often than not.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Well, this is my first ever review. I am going to be myself and honest. So take it for what it's worth...A: I love the light- fluffy foamy head but prefer more color. But I appreciate that the suds floated for the whole session.

S: I'm not a huge fan of Belgian yeast smell, but appreciate the Belgian IPA mix, although the hops are not exposed enough in this beer, however - I am partial to hops.

T: Very smooth and easy to gulp. For a 9.2, it was somewhat tart but very drinkable.

M: seemed to be dry. Probably couldn't drink more than two, I think it drank nicely but the higher alcohol was disguised and caught up with me.

O: I actually liked the beer for a couple of reasons and didn't like it for a couple also. Liked: 9.2 ABV. - gave me a good-beer-buzz. & was disappointed when the bottle was empty, which happened before I realized. Not liked: Price, the most I ever paid for a 4 pack - $14.00. A little too much. &. The Belgian yeast was a little too strong for the mix, I desire a more fresh-hoppy flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.02 out of 5 with 2,424 ratings