Green Flash Le Freak | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak
4.02/5
Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Le Freak® is the first-ever hybrid ale of its kind: the convergence of a Belgian-Style Trippel with an American Imperial IPA. This zesty Amarillo dry-hopped, bottle-conditioned marvel entices with fruity Belgian yeast aromatics and a firm, dry finish. Aromas of orange and passion fruit with sweet bready malts, and flavors of orange marmalade and citrus fruit pith. Experience a legendary beer.

Added by Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

Ratings: 2,418 |  Reviews: 754

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours a golden orange with over two fingers of foamy white head that sticks around, this one has an excellent lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, cloves, spices and floral hops. Wow there is a lot going on here.

T: Upfront there is Banana, clove, and spices then it starts to transition to the IPA qualities citrusy grapefruit, orange and pine.

M: A medium body that is highly carbonated. The finish is surprisingly smooth.

O: My first beer from Green Flash I really like this one it's an amazing blend of the two styles. Refreshing complex and well balanced.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a murky, yet vibrant golden color with a nearly pure white head. Some white lace drags the edges of the glass. The aroma is inviting with creamy Belgian yeast and balanced tartness and sweetness. Mouthfeel is pretty full and not too dry, which is a criticism I have of a lot of Belgians. A little bready, a little raisiny, but not too much of anything. Get's a little spicy. The hops help that component. A pretty unoffensive Belgian. Very drinkable and mild despite its 9.2% ABV.

ADDENDUM: As beer gets a little warmer, the tartness fades and the sweetness from the grain expresses itself, making it a little more appealing.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy golden with huge frothy head. Aroma is a nice combination of belgian yeast, citrus hops, and some peach/pear/apple light fruit mix. Both the trippel and the pale flavors are apparent here. A nice blend. Very sweet light fruit up front, with some bitterness on the way down that lingers. A bit of alcohol burn on the back end.medium mouthfeel. Nice beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Two fingers of head minimum; big, thick, creamy and foamy. Nice caramel color, medium translucence. Smells of sweet Belgian yeast, bready. Bread and fruit flavors, spicy hops. Light bitterness. Creamy mouthfeel; smooth. Hides the alcohol extremely well, little to no boozy taste.

Overall: This is tasty. It has a nice hit of hops for a Belgian style beer. Overall, the Belgian flavor is the dominant one, so only get this if you’re in the mood for that, but it’s a nice taste that mixes well with the hops and it is definitely gulpable. Also, it is shockingly non-boozy for being 9.2%, making it a great beer to get a buzz from.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

I find it funny that this beer is listed on page 420. With the recent election, marijuana has been legalized in Washington state and in Colorado. The state of Arizona has also given permission for medical marijuana grow houses. Anyway, just a funny time for us to be drinking the beer on page 420. Does anyone know where the 4:20 thing came from?

The beer we are drinking is… well, a good one. Sheryl said, "Pick a good one." OK, I will. And I did. Tonight we are drinking a bottle of the Green Flash Le Freak, a huge Belgian IPA. I have had this beer before, and actually bought a case of it from Total Wine & More. They dropped the price to $3.99, so I grabbed a case. Can't beat that for an IPA that is over 9% ABV. Let's see what this beer tastes like.

In the Glass: It is thick, and has a nice orange color to it. It was poured right out of the fridge, and has a weak thin white head on top. The lace is nice, but quickly finds itself back on top of the beer. Probably because the bubbles want back in the best beer Green Flash makes! Well, their Palate Wrecker is pretty great, too.

Nose: At first, I smell flowers. It has a very nice aroma to it. On a second whiff I am picking up some dirty grassy notes on the nose. Like I said, it's ice cold, so I am sure the aroma is being masked just a little. But it has a nice aroma that you wouldn't expect from a 9.2% beer. You don't smell the booze at all.

Flavor: Oh. My. Goodness. This is a great IPA. It has all of the same characteristics that you picked up on the aroma, but then it leads to a dry, somewhat sweet aftertaste. But I will get to the aftertaste in a minute. Some tastings notes I read online talk about a citrus flavor, but I am just not getting much citrus here. The grass that I mentioned in the aroma is really obvious here on the palate. Yes, I like drinking grass. Lay off!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. Not a ton of bubbles, and while we are drinking this WAY too cold, the feeling on the tongue is totally worth writing home about. It slides across the tongue nice and cold, and leaves a thin layer of sweetness that I didn't expect. Then I swallow, and my mouth is still excited. This beer has a very nice mouthfeel that I wish more brews modeled themselves after.

Aftertaste: Nice. It's really nice. It has a quick finish that leads to the aftertaste, and it's so good, I don't even want to take another drink. it's not dry at first, but quickly my mouth feels like cotton balls. There is a super dry finish that literally leaves me licking the inside of my mouth for more flavor. But that's OK, because that dryness is what I hang on to. It hangs on for a few minutes, too. And all of those flavors that I am having along the way… the burp brings them all back to the center of the palate. I encourage you to burp on this one just to experience that flavor one more time.

This is a great beer, and even though I am a hop head, I would say this is a great place for a craft beer drinker to start when wanting to experience the true hops that a beer can produce. This one has a HUGE IBU, coming in over 100. There are some beers out there that do the same thing, hit triple digits… but they are always masked by the malt. Not here. Green Flash continues to impress me, and has done so again with the Le Freak. Bottoms up, people!

Le Freak - The bottle says: "ZESTY BREW"

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a hazy darker amber, dense offwhite head, settles slowly to a thin layer; spray of lace on the glass. Smell: bubblegum, pepper, medicinal, funky (horseblanket) whiff, lemon peel. Taste: a little grainy and funky, sweet-ish, some peppery and citric balance, then finishes dry with citrus rind reemerging. Booze note.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Nice big thick head, orange/ruby, just a bit cloudy.
S: Subdued aroma, some subtle Belgian yeast, candi sugar sweetness, light citrus hops, maybe a bit musty, maybe a bit hot.
M: Medium mouthfeel, a bit low on carbonation, like that the mouthfeel isn't syrupy like the taste, but not too thin either. Nice.
T: Nice orange/citrus taste, the yeast coming through more in the aroma than the flavor, slight alcohol burn going down. Some sweetness too, a bit syrupy, but I don't mind it. Not out of balance. The alcohol is fairly faint for a 9.2% beer. Very good.
O: Solid Belgian IPA, like the orange/citrus thing, like the way the alcohol is well hidden, could be a bit more Belgian-y, the yeast is more prominent in the nose than in the taste.

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.
A: cloudy-light golden copper color, some carbonation, nice 2 finger off-white foamy head that is huge, lacing is present
S: This is my favorite part of this beer, the belgian yeast, citrus, floral hops, tropical fruit aroma, peppery spice, some caramel malt
M: medium body, with a syrup like feel that coats the tongue but has a clean finish. I wonder if the hop complex contributes to the syrup like feel???
T: banana, belgian yeast, sugary caramel malt sweetness, then hoppy bitterness with a piney and citrus kick.
O: Solid beer that is big on aroma and taste, very impressive. I would buy this beer again.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.02 out of 5 with 2,418 ratings