Double Stout | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout
4.1/5
Exceptional
Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

We explored 19th Century British Stout recipes, then charted a fresh course to land on a modern American version of the old-world classic. Our Double Stout encompasses the very best of both worlds. Golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malt offer a luscious balance of bittersweet chocolate and hints of coffee. Fair winds and following seas. Smooth sailing, all the way home.

Added by SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008

Ratings: 3,115 |  Reviews: 888

I cannot speak highly enough about this double stout! If you are looking for a mature, refined adult beverage for your discriminating palate... I highly advise and heartily encourage this one! I would go on about all the usual reviewing points, but where would that leave your adventurous expectations?

bottle courtesy of ygtbsm94
Pours jet black, huge tan head, takes forever to leave. Thick spots of lacing.
Huge chocolate, dark toasted bread nose.
The taste is out of this world. Like milk chocolate over dark bread on the front, some slight earthy hops on the midpallate and some bitterness from the roasted malt on the back end.
This is an amazing beer, easily one of the best i have had. Its not trying to reinvent the wheel. It just takes all the things you expect from a stout and does them flawlessly.
The best beer i have had this year.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Really great stout, especially if you like imperials

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Bought a 4 pack of these boys from my local farmers market store for only 8.99 and i consider that a steal. Love green flash but i have always passed this one up for some reason.

A: pours a deep black with a nice rich deep brown head that lasts quite a long time. Lacing remains throughout entire drinking session.

S: Only poured it into a standard pint glass but let me tell you, the roasted notes still kicked my nose into heaven. Plain and simple deep roast that is not overwhelming.

T: wonderful forward chocolate notes with a blended roast catching the sides of my tongue with a really mild tobacco/fig flavor pleasently whispering itself into fruititon as i breath out through my nose. Small trace of piny and grassy hop flavor towards the end

M: A great soft yet fluffy thick presence that rests gently on the buds.

O: I consider this one of my new favorite imperial stouts. And thats saying alot when my favorite are Speedway, The Abyss, Stones Russian, and Old Rasputin standard and XII. This just happens to be a sensational beer for a great price to enjoy on a nice cold night.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

I don't like dark Beer I would never order one or purchase in a store, until now. I tried the Double Stout as part of a tasting and I could not get enough. It pours like Jagermeister, very thick. I usually drink ales and lagers, so I prepared my knife and fork to get threw the sample.

I took a wiff and was very suprised, very pleasing, had a nice head but not so thick that you would need a straw. It was smooth, like silky smooth, not bitter or heavy. Some coffee like qualities in the taste, rich and creamy. Its not what I usually come to expect from a dark beer, I usually find stouts to be undrinkable, this beer is craveable.

It says in the guidelines that 5's should be rare, so i gave a couple of 4.5's as I am not an expert in beer tasting I cant grade mouth feel or smell but I can't imagine any possible improvement to the taste and apperance, so overall it has to be a 5 in my book. Welcome to Florida Green Flash.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Received in a recent trade with HopMasterFlex. Thanks Kyle! 12 oz. bottle poured into my trusty "Crab House" pint glass.

A- Nice and dark. Nice mocha head that slowly recedes, and I mean slowly, this bitch is taking its time. No worries, I can outwait it. Seriously wonderful lacing. Is this shit a stout or a black ale? Kind of confused by that.

S- Great smell. Still wondering WTF it is.

T- Okay, now I don't give a shit what "style" it is. Brilliant beer. Why the F is this not highly sought after? This is a gargantuan beer. Totally delicious. I got 2 in a trade and 2 as extras and now I wish he had sent 10 as extras. You hear that traders...more of this for me in the next trade. They may not fully appreciate it when it gets to them but when they drink it they'll want more. Solid extra bro.

M- Great, blah blah blah, coats my mouth with sweet esthers and other stuff, whatever that means. It's solid and thick, my kind of shit.

D- If I had 12 of these I would drink 6 tonight. Then I would hoard the rest of them and have maybe 1 a month as a treat to myself.

Tradability- Hopefully low right now as I would like several more of these before people figure out how good this is. Pretend I am the Alstrom Bros. and 'send me beer'. This beer.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No date on the bottle, but it arrived only this week in the local store.

Pours a pitch black color with a large mocha head, which quickly dissipates down to a thin layer (Without a doubt I think a double / IRS are the best looking beers). The smell is of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee. Medium to thick mouth feel which coats the mouth, nice and creamy. The taste is dark chocolate, coffee and dark roasted malts, its very smooth on the way down and has a nice lingering bitter after flavor, very good, the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

Overall another great Green Flash product, this has become one of those breweries where I'll try any of their products I can find and expect great results. This double stout is no exception, a wonderful example of the style. I thought I might wait a few months to see how well this ages, but its pretty perfect right now. Excellent brew, this just might be my favorite stout thus far.

Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.1 out of 5 with 3,115 ratings