Double Stout | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

We explored 19th Century British Stout recipes, then charted a fresh course to land on a modern American version of the old-world classic. Our Double Stout encompasses the very best of both worlds. Golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malt offer a luscious balance of bittersweet chocolate and hints of coffee. Fair winds and following seas. Smooth sailing, all the way home.

Added by SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008

Ratings: 3,112 |  Reviews: 885

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best-by 8/30/14. $2.99 single snagged up at Fairway Sav-Mor in Eastpointe, Michigan. Poured into a standard shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Definition of black. Two fingers of a pretty dark tan head. A picture perfect beer after the pour... truly gorgeous. Seems to be a beer filled with floaters, as I can see a lot near the glass. My only knock on this is the lacing. It's pretty good, but not great. Minor complaint.

Smell: A pretty mild coffee and chocolate aroma at first, but as it warms, licorice comes out quite a bit. It smells sweeter as well. Roasted malts and coffee. I definitely feel like there's more coffee in the smell than chocolate... but it's sort of like a mocha. I also trace alcohol, but it's VERY well hidden.

Taste/feel: First thing I notice is a super rich mouthfeel that's actually so thick, I'm not sure if I love it. It's as if the thickness of the beer blocks out a bit of the flavor of the beer... but since I adore a thick mouthfeel on my stouts (who doesn't?), I don't mind that much at all, hence the score. It just feels like I want to drink more because of the thick feel, strangely enough. I keep wanting more flavor! It's hard to pace myself. Anyway, this is a tasty beer. Semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, the roasted malts... really not picking up any of the dark fruits that I tend to get in a double stout, and that's fine with me. 8.8% makes this a bit of a dangerous beer, as I truthfully get virtually no signs of alcohol. There's maybe an essence of it in the aroma, and there's a very slight throat warming, but it's minuscule.

Overall, I think this is a great beer. I believe this could be a better beer if the mouthfeel were actually a touch thinner so I could get more flavor out of the beer, but it's pretty incredible as it is. I'd definitely buy it again.

3.46/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pitch black body with a sudsy tan head.

Aroma: Dark syrupy malt, roasted notes.

Taste: Roasted dark malt essence. Hops are felt through the IBUs they contribute in the finish. Long gentle ebbing of dark roasted coffee flavor in the aftertaste. Overall the flavor is very top heavy with bitterness. Almost as if it is missing a depth that would make it really great. Just a fiery hint of the 8.8% ABV long into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body which is quite light considering both the ABV and the style. Understated carbonation and good drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Not completely impressed with this one but a good stout from a brewery that's more notable for their IPAs. Would I drink it again? Maybe.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

$2.59 for a 12oz bottle @ Siciliano's. Brewed with "golden naked oats mashed with dark crystal and robust roasted malts"
8.8% ABV, 45 IBU's

Pours out to a clear deep inky black, forming a modest light-medium tan head with very good retention and lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs. The nose is great...carob, prune, dates, deep roasted grains, vanilla, and a very clean ferment. Mouthfeel is rich and luscious with a dense chewy body...silken in it's finish. The taste is exceptional...a recap of the aroma with pungent deeply roasted grains skillfully blended with spicy hops, oily burnt french roast, moderate bitterness, lots of black patent, chocolate malt, dark fruit notes and roasted barley, teetering on the edge of too much roasted acidity despite the bold American hops. The hops linger in the dry and astringent aftertaste with after-notes of cedar, black cherry and tobacco. No off-flavors.

I have to say, that compared to other beers in it's class (American Stout), this is a quintessential example of the big bold West Coast style. I would definitely buy it again. Very well done.

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.