Double Stout | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout
90%
Liked This Beer
4.1 w/ 3,114 Ratings
Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

We explored 19th Century British Stout recipes, then charted a fresh course to land on a modern American version of the old-world classic. Our Double Stout encompasses the very best of both worlds. Golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malt offer a luscious balance of bittersweet chocolate and hints of coffee. Fair winds and following seas. Smooth sailing, all the way home.

Added by SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Disappointing -- I'd had this recommended to me by a friend of a friend while we were drinking Berserker. The young guy talked so well of it in the immediate lingering brilliance of Berserker, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a bottle.

I should've known, seeing the subtitle on the label . . . beneath "Double Stout", the label reads "Black Ale" in much smaller type, as if offering a disclaimer or a sheepish qualifier. The flavor in the mouth is certainly more like a 6% black IPA than it is an imperial stout.

The beer pours beautifully, with a half-inch of dirty brown foam. (The lacing clings to the glass a bit, but then slides off too readily). In addition to the aroma being thin and one-dimensional (all roast), the flavor on the tongue is thin and limited to roasted malt / burnt coffee. The one thing I want in an Imperial stout is almost completely absent: sweetness. There's hardly any sweet fruit, no caramel/butter, no vanilla, no candy sugar. (As it warms, a pecan savoriness expands the profile a tad, though the aroma remains pretty much AWOL except for the coffee.) There is, of course, significant hop bitterness. But that doesn't exactly help matters.

I can't help but think of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout or Founders Breakfast Stout, both of which I used to love, back before I'd had Mikkeler Black Hole, Founders Imperial Stout, Peruvian Morning, Blackout Stout, Speedway, Weyerbacher Tiny, and Southern Tier Mokah. Perhaps my problem is I've gotten spoiled by the higher-ABV of my favorite double stouts . . . ?

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black color with a finger and a half of mocha head, nice lacing.

Smell is roasted coffee, vanilla, espresso, dark chocolate, bakers chocolate and roasted malt

Taste is bakers and dark chocolates right up front, roasted malt, espresso, earthy hop character, vanilla and a small alcohol bite, finishes slightly bitter

Mouthfeel is medium full, creamy carbonation, smooth and silky! a little boozy, but warming.

GREAT stout here, reminds me of Narwhal a bit, both west coast style imperial stouts. Glad this is available here year round now, it will be available in my fridge all winter, fall, spring and hell why not summer to!

Get it if you see it and like stouts, Gives Old Raspy a run for its money for best shelf stout, hell gives a lot of non shelf stouts a run for the money as well!

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 90% out of 100 with 3,114 ratings