Double Stout | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

We explored 19th Century British Stout recipes, then charted a fresh course to land on a modern American version of the old-world classic. Our Double Stout encompasses the very best of both worlds. Golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malt offer a luscious balance of bittersweet chocolate and hints of coffee. Fair winds and following seas. Smooth sailing, all the way home.

Added by SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008

Ratings: 3,113 |  Reviews: 886

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a dark brown color with a frothy, brown head. The scent is of malts and other robust aromas. The texture is silky smooth like a well made barrel-aged stout. There is a complex concoction of malts, grains, and hints of spice. Rather well made and a great find. This is a stellar stout especially considering the price.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter

A- Pours a deep dark brown, not black but brown. 100% opaque, couldn't see a thing on the other side of the glass.

S- Up front it is pretty much all roasted malt, not coffee or chocolate like with alot of stouts, but just good fine roasted malt. A hint of sweetness and dark fruits at the end.

T- Tastes just like it smells. Strongly roasted malts, not acrid like burnt coffee. Also get a nice cherry, plum, date taste.

M- Thick and wonderful. Not something that needs to be "chewed" but good solid and thick.

Overall a great double stout. Not loaded with chocolate and coffee like many so you can really enjoy the malts.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

2.22/5  rDev -45.7%

A: Deep dark chocolate brown with probably the darkest tan head I've ever seen on a beer. Cloudy head.

S: Sweet malt and burnt toast.

T: THAT IS BOLD. The label isn't lying, this beer packs "flavor". For me there is too much roast character and not enough of everything else. A burnt taste like old and poorly roasted french roast coffee overpowers everything. There is some sweet malt there, but just barely, and a lingering hop bitterness at the end. I feel like I might have gotten a bad batch, there is a sour tinge. This is so burnt tasting that it's undrinkable.

M: Creamy and smooth, nice level of carbonation.

O: Can't even drink this.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks like a thick iced coffee pouring into the mug with chocolate milk-looking head. even the bottle is heavy.
earthy aroma with chocolate milk shake, chocolate, vanilla and toasty smells.
taste is roasty malts, full yummy, dark flavors. this is really good. i need to try more of the green flash brews, but i really pi$$ed 'em off a while back regarding their saison. i like how it tastes sweet at first and then the bitterness seems to drop off each side of the tongue. it's a full, hearty feel in the mouth.
not my favorite style, but i really like this. it totally filled a void and completely surprised me. i'm going back tomorrow to grab another one for me and one for a friend.

3.89/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured jet black with a creamy off white head , the head kept on coming. The aroma was more chocolate than anything. I could detect some coffee, but not overdone.
The fist sip was very carbonated, more so then most of the premium stouts I've tried. The taste was there, but for me, the carbonation made it more difficult to enjoy. This sort of reminded me of the popular "Gu" stouts. Very carbonated.
So, that left the mouthful a bit uneven and the aftertaste was good, but I would have enjoyed this one so much more if it was more up front in flavor

Re-tasted 02/02/13
This time around I wasnt as impressed as I was the first time. As my first review stated, I wasnt excited about the amount of carbonation. It was too much for me. Now, I know there are a number of other super stouts, many Russian Imperial Stouts that like to have the carbonation. Me, I prefer one without much carbonation.
I also did not detect as much chocolate this time. I will be honest to say that tonight we tasted two stouts, one known for its chocolate tones. So, it might have been the first one with loads of chocolate, and now the Double Stout leaving me somewhat wanting for more.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

As I would expect from Green Flash and for the price, this is a first rate true American Double. As with most American styles, it is somewhat over the top, another demonstration of the superiority of these styles.

It pours a stout black with little head but nice lacing. The aroma barely gives a hint of the taste, which is huge. There is loads of hops plus a ton of roasted malt. I'm not sure what all the other hints are - chocolate? It keeps on giving in the aftertaste.

This is definitely one to keep in mind when you want a great American stout.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.