Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Palate Wrecker | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Palate WreckerPalate Wrecker

Added by seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Ratings: 4,154 |  Reviews: 766
Reviews by Methical:

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Had on draft at the brewery earlier this year, and found in bottle locally. If youre a fan of hops, this is your beer. It is on the pricier side, but well worth it. It is a beer to drink slowly and enjoy. For my first BA rating/review, what better beer to give such high marks. Amazing aroma and a delicious bite! Fantastic!

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The triumvirate of Centennial, Columbus, and Simcoe (CCS) is enough to triple the force of water. I don't recall the bottled on date the first time I had this, but the second time around I definitely took notice that the 22 oz. bomber was less than two weeks old. Glorious hops. I'm not adverse to my palate being wrecked; in fact, I welcome it. The head was a solid, cottony mass of super-sticky lacing that retained perfectly throughout my consumption. The holy trinity of CCS kept pounding my tongue like a judge's gavel, but I didn't complain. I was looking for life imprisonment at this point. Call me weiserr, call me the IPA Hunter®, just don't call me late for the next Imperial offering from Green Flash Brewing Co. I liked this one enough to start rapping again, so I apologize for what follows.

stem cell, couldn't duplicate, the gems well
DNA’s too brolic, in hell, my pens dwell
no kids can perform, the most wickedest form
of words, put in a song, ghostwritten by spawn
a.k.a., Wise, the AK lay lives
so you need a white sheet, like the KKK ‘guise
to prepare for war, hush, yeah, i’m sure
that i'm ahead of my time and, plus, been here before
wanna doubt my status, f**k it then line up
cause ya'll like scratched lenses, just f**kin’ the site (sight) up
with cheap collections, of reviews, with weak perception
that’s forced, lost in the search, to seek perfection
only to find a beast from the eastern section
to get out, you're gonna need more than police protection
at least a Wesson
cause when it comes to bodying an aspirant, i’m always suspect
like nas’ beat selection
a lethal weapon, lettin’ off, on people reppin’
the aura, is a combination, of evil lessons
and deceiving sessions, hustle all, i do it real
a hood hustler, i could sell tuna to a whale
the masses are blind, but they see what i’m sayin
by the using of this braille
so who you didn't feel?
don't lie to yourself, that's blind intuition
i'm a nightmare that will raise you out of that lying position
don’t follow these dummies, thinkin' i’m lame, playin’
yourself, sleeping on the hops, you’re basically sayin’
let's have a contest, see who neck hurts worst
for you to sign on, your software gotta talk to the network first
I run shit, and ran shit
like track runners on steroids, until I made the land split
but the Bros. didn’t ban shit…
never get at me, if your beers is not prized
that’s comparable to my clone, it is not WISE...

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep ruddy orange with a thick white head. Lots of spotty lacing. Burst of pine and grapefruit upon opening the bottle. Aromas of pine, orange, grapefruit, and light caramel that carry over to the palate. Alcohol is prominent, along with a lingering resiny bitterness. Despite the hop intensity and the high ABV, this is delicious, nicely balanced, and insanely drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

I enjoy the retro brand label. Clear amber pour, memory-foam pillow top head and lacing. Smells like fruity, resinous, sunshiney hops. Mouth feel is creamy while the taste is a proper display of the previously mentioned hops in addition to slight astringency in the after bite. On one hand I appreciate this beer for it's display of the style and it's hops, and on another I don't think I'll be going out of my way for it again, but who can complain at 9.5% Green Flash has succeeded in what they aimed for in this beer I feel.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber colored beer with a nice big head. What really shines is the lacing. Straight up soapy-like lace that surrounds the entire glass. Completely different from 99% of the beers I've tries. Super thick lace.

Smell is a piney, earthy hop with a ton of roasted malt. A little heavy - carried over from the taste. A definitively big malty character which has a little bit of an edge over the hops. A little bitter but it doesn't linger too long. Pine is the main hop I'm tasting. A little bit of alcohol but not too much. Finishes pretty dry. Reminds me of the original Double IPA's. (Malty)

Overall a decent imperial IPA. Pretty easily drinkable, I could see myself knocking back a couple, price point is pretty high compared to other Imperial IPA's/doubles. Not a bad choice.

3.87/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep honey-caramel color, with impeccable clarity. The head is lovely as well at 1 finger and tons of dancing lace.

Tons of chinook and columbus on the nose. Practically a freshly picked hop/opened hop pouch. Slight dirty caramelish aromas behind that.

Um, holy crap. This beer doesn't lie and neither will I. This will destroy your tongue in several ways. First, it stimulates the salival glands to secrete at the utter dryness of the alcohol and hop combining. Second, it twists your tongue as the hop practically attacks it like white blood cells on a virus. Some facial expressions will be made. Third, it scrubs your tongue of all dignity like a paint scraper on the wall. Fourth, the heavy alcohol presence creates a hotness in both your mouth and down your tube to your belly. This is a little tastier but no less bitter than chewing on raw hop.

Feel is hot and burning, with a dry feel and a scrubbing sensation.

Overall, a drain pour in the best way possible. It's simply too much for me. It's my fault, not the beer's. It's not a bad beer. But the hops are insane and it's by far the hoppiest, most bitter beer I've ever had. Hop heads, unite.

This is my kind of beer! Wow, love the bitterness. The only downside is that my throat is dry the next day after drinking it. But for my next homebrew, I hope to make a copy of this one. Cheers

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, best before 8/1/2017. Pours fairly crystal clear medium orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense and rocky off white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Dense soapy lacing clings around the glass. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, honey, light caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of citrus/tropical/pine hops and moderate bready malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, light pepper, pine, honey, light caramel, toasted bread, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Moderate pine/citrus rind/spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, apricot, mango, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pepper, pine, honey, toasted bread, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/tropical/pine hops and moderate bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and no lingering hop astringency after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from lingering bitterness, increasing through the glass. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/sticky/resinous, and slightly slick balanced mouthfeel that is great. Minimal warming alcohol for 9.5%. Overall this is an outstanding DIPA! All around awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/tropical/pine hops and moderate bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink for the ABV, and despite the drying bitter/resinous finish. Very dank and juicy on hops; nice malt backbone, but never too sweet or heavy. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

Bright orange-amber with rocky, fluffy, light tan head. Superb retention! And thick, sticky, chunky lacing, if you can call it that. Hands down, the best lace I've ever seen. No haze or flecks. Resin, sweet orange, and stewed vegetable aromas. Quite good, but not very strong. Flavors, on the other hand...They really do wreck the palate! Nothing, I can't handle, or appreciate, though. Very dank, vegetal and bitter throughout, but also a sweet, almost dark fruit underbelly. A definite and powerful black pepper retro-olfaction here as well. Outstanding beer if that's what you're into, which it just so happens that I am. Medium to full in body, carbonation seems fairly subtle, but only because of thickness of brew I think. Smooth and warming.

I was mentioning to a friend that I was reviewing this beer and she said in reply:

"I was going to make a palate joke, but it would be in bad taste."

Maybe that's funny, and maybe it isn't. But I laughed hard when I finally got it!

Strong and sort of smoothe but with a bite is a brief description of this American Double/Imperial.

If one was to describe to you the ultimate hop concoction this might be a great example there-of. Some like to be eased into things, some like baptisms of fire.

If your friend is of the latter category, and you want to get him/her into the American Double/Imperial genre of beer than I would very much suggest to you this beer.

This beer is the American Double's of American Double's. If you or someone you know is used to watery, somewhat alchoholy after-tasting beers, then I would suggest that one try this or suggest this to someone to show them the potency of hops, and how an aftertaste can be just as strong as the for or mid taste of a beer.

This beer is satisfying and great, it really showcases(as the name would imply) the potential of the aftertaste of the American Double/Imperial, and it does so with vigor and mastery. This beer is a great example of the variety of forms that hops can take to "show themselves" in a beer's taste and flavor, and overall this is a really unique and satisfying American Double/Imperial. A great beer for those new and veteran to the American Double/Imperial genre of brew.

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a regular amber color, aroma is complex, a pine-resin-malt-orange citrus flavor, and even a banana smell. Nice. Taste is hop-malt heavy, aftertaste is slightly bitter with pine citrus there also. Excellent!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Good to see a new Green Flash offering here in the Triad.Poured into a tulip glass nice deep burnt orange with a well defined sticky one finger white head that left multiple globs of lace as it settled slowly into a frothy mass.Sharp grapefruit hops at the onset as soon as I opened the bottle along with some booze but it's not overly sweet,just smells sticky and good.Raw hop goodness on the palate with sharp grapefruit rind and herbal notes,mild caramel sweetness underneath cant hold up to the sharp bitter hop onslaught,and amazingly the sweetness is held in check well.This is what a DIPA should be a hop explosian not a sugary sweet malt bomb,I loved it hence the perfect taste score.Best beer I have had in 2012.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance - this is an easy-foaming beer with a nice, white, puffy, clingy head and a gorgeously-cloudy deep brown body. This head is absolutely amazing and will stick around hours after last call.

Smell - The dry-hopping gives this DIPA a huge, raunchy, pine resin nose that dominates any other players in this bouquet.

Taste - This is a monster hop bomb. The piney resin takes over the taste and there's a lightly-sweet residual to the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - This is almost full in the body with little carbonation and a thick, oily, slick mouthfeel.

Drinkability - 90% of beer drinkers won't want to finish a bomber of this ale, and 90% of the people who do won't be able to drink anything after this, thus the name. I found it to be slickly sweet and a great take on the style.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper-colored, just like a clean penny with amazing clarity throughout the entire brew - Palate Wrecker looks eerily similar to the Nugget Nectar I had just a few days earlier, though not quite as vibrant. Lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the top, meeting a beige-eggshell color head that leaves a little bit of lacing behind on its way down.

Powerful and commanding is the aroma, asserting itself with heavy doses of both earthy and floral hops - you can smell the bitterness ready to cut through your taste buds. Don't be fooled, however - the aroma is showing a significant sweetness to it, as well. A cornucopia of fruits and citrus jump on board, and actually smell very reminiscent of Fruity Pebbles. I tried to find a better description, but goddamn, I'm definitely smelling some Pebbles. There's also a caramel malt sweetness lingering backstage and although it's buried from the abundance of hops, it is still easily identifiable.

Speaking of those caramel malts, they happen to be the first thing my palate picks up on as this beer hits my lips. It's not long, though, before an inherent bitterness emerges and does nothing but continue to grow, start to finish. The bitterness seems to last forever, even long after the beer is gone. That's the whole point of this beer, right? To fuck up your palate? Well they've succeeded by making a bitterness that is one of the strongest and longest-lasting that I've found in recent memory. It hits hard and resonates with no end in sight.

Alongside the raping bitterness are handfuls of floral, perfume-like, and rosey flavors from the hops. Citrus is also abound, though not quite as similar to Fruity Pebbles on the palate anymore. It's now more akin to bitter citrus and grapefruit - think: peel, pith, rind, etc. Pretty heavy bodied with a sticky character and plenty of carbonation.

Bitterness is what they wanted and bitterness is what they give you. Bitterness is the king here. It's actually not as "palate destroying" (or "wrecking", I guess) as you might think, but maybe I'm just conditioned to this kind of thing. This reminded me of a less flavorful Ruination. There weren't enough "other" flavors to go with the heavy bitterness. Just seems like they were being bitter just to be bitter. In that case, I'll just suck on a hop. Not bad, but probably wouldn't seek it out again. Just grab a Ruination or Hoptimum (in season) if you want a hop attack.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.16 out of 5 with 4,154 ratings