Palate Wrecker | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Palate WreckerPalate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary

Added by seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Ratings: 4,149 |  Reviews: 765
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash Palate Wrecker has a very thick, frothy, cream-colored head, a mostly clear, golden-amber appearance, some ascending bubbles, and a bit of splotchy, thin lacing left behind. The aroma is of very intense grape fruit, with some sweet breadiness riding along. Taste is sweet, toffee-like, super bitter, and piney. Mouthfeel is medium, oily, and chewy, and Green Flash Palate Wrecker finishes dry, mentholated, and full. Well, it didn’t wreck my palate, but I still find it to be wonderful and delicious.

RJT

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice dark amber. Great example of a good Imperial IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - 4.5 - Nice orange/amber, between a golden and copper color, a finger of off white head with very fine bubbles and it laces the glass nicely.

Aroma/Smell - 4.25 - A lot of citrusy hops, grapefruit, pine, orange/lemon/lime zest all in there. Some caramel/malty sweetness but that is mostly in the background.

Taste - 4.75 - Amazing intense grapefruit, pine, zest orange/lemon/lime taste like always. The malt is actually pretty prevalent in this beer with comparison to other IPAs. Aka you can actually taste the malt. It's almost a little bit spicy, it leaves a strong hop/alc bite in your mouth. @ 9.5 ABV it makes sense.

Mouthfeel - 4.50 - light-medium body beer, nice frothy head that never goes away. Alc taste/warmth comes off of it but not in a bad way. Bitter/grapefruit aftertaste but like most imperial IPAs.

Overall - 4.50 - This beer is more similar to Pliny and Hop Stoopid than I expected. Great beer, I would love to do a blind taste test with this and other double ipas.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is beer is for extreme hop-heads only. The maltiness and high gravity of the beer mask some of the extreme bitterness from so many hops in the boil. At 9.5% it is an intense experience. I really enjoy this one, but I like hops more than the average drinker.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a bitter bomb, with a great scent

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So if you only Love in a beer is hops you can't really do too much better here cause this stops just short of a hop smoothie. I myself am a hops hunter so this is great. The look is about a 9 or 10 in srm in a clear glass in natural sunlight it is a 7. That's a little light since most DIPA is at least a 10. The smell is sweet and piny, nice and smooth with a nice thick forestry sting. The taste is pure hops. You can definitely feel the alcohol but you technically can't tast it cause of the power of the hops. The feel is heavy like a stout with a nice finish that reminds you of a morning coffee. Overall this is a Heavy DIPA that might be able to just get away within the fabled Triple IPA class. It begins and ends with the word Hops

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours an incredibly hazy/foggy dark amber/orange. Not at all transparent. A mildly aggressive pour results in a huge 3 1/2" head that takes ages to deflate to an inch thick head that retains like a champion. It's not faltering in the least. HUGE splotches of thick, sticky lacing is left everywhere the head once touched. This is one hella impressive looking glass of beer!

S: PURELY hops and wonderfully dank. Extreme citrus profile, grapefruit mainly, to be expected. A bit of pine resin underneath. No malt to be found; no complaints from me. This is exactly what I want to smell from a brew called Palate Wrecker.

T: The initial sip of this, as well as the next two or three sips, are purely palate pulverizing hop atomic bombs. One of the most intense rushes of grapefruity citrus I've ever experienced. Tons of bitter pine resin in the finish as well as the aftertaste. The bitterness sticks around long after the beer has gone down. Midway through the beer now, I guess my palate has adjusted to baffling amount of hop bitterness. Each sip leads off with a well-rounded caramel malt note that offers little balance before it gets bullied by those dominating hops. This one, even with the appearance of malts midway through, is bone crushingly bitter and truly exquisite.

M: The awe-inducing qualities of Palate Wrecker unfortunately stop here. A slightly above medium body with moderate carbonation and a bit of slickness. Coats the palate nicely without feeling too sticky in the finish. The mouthfeel is definitely really good, but falls short of incredible.

O: Boy oh boy, this is everything I had hoped it would be; however, it was EXTREMELY hard to score, for me. Because even though everything about it stopped me in my tracks by how perfect I believe it to be, I can't rate it perfect overall for the sole fact that this brew is so ass-kicking that I literally could not indulge in it often. With that being said, this has creeped into my favorites and will be revisited for sure as a once-in-a-blue-moon treat.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The name is true to the flavor. The hops hit your mouth and takeover. This is one of my favorite strong hoppy beers from Green Flash!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this beer very much. It was very fresh.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a nice golden amber hue with a full creamy white beige head. From a distance, you could mistake this brew to be one of many golden ales from the mass produced breweries.

But here is where that stops. All you need to be is within a few feet of the opened bottle and you can pick up the aroma of fresh strong hops. As I put my nose into the glass, the hops seemed to get stronger and stronger.

As with many high hopped brews, I could pick up scents of grapefruit along with other citrus. The initial taste was a bit over the top, at least at first. However, the mouthful and the finish was satisfying and lingering.

The second and third sips were the same, the initial taste on the tongue, went quickly to the top of the lounge without hitting some of the other sense spots.

The finish was perfect. I think the only thing that kept me from rating this even higher was that each sip was a bit much.

But the rest was as good as it gets for full hoppy beer

I looked at the Green Flash website and was amazed, no I guess not really to see that the IBU was over 149 for this one!

02/01/13:
I think after tasting about a dozen or so real classy high IBU IPAs, I've come to know exactly what I want and what I am looking for. Make new mistake, Palate Wrecker is a beer that any hop-head should try. Its worth it. I have about 5 more bottles for this year. I enjoyed it, but
not the same way I did a year ago. I guess the term palate-wrecker holds true. It is a big bold beer to taste, but easier to drink than lets say another beer's 120. But my mouth is hanging real dry after drinking one bottle. One bottle, thats it, because when I started to taste other beers, I couldn't pick up the things I normally would have...
Next time, try the ones I want to taste and finish perhaps with the Palate Wrecker

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours an effervescent honey color with a finger of cream colored head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Pine, grapefruit with a little breadyness, plus some booze

T: Follows the nose, in your face hoppyness up front, along with a little dryness. Some breadyness & a touch of caramel as this warms with a ton of grapefruit. Finishes with grapefruit peel, breadyness, pineyness

MF: Fairly thick, slight carbonation, nice balance

A super DIPA, love the agressive hops & super balance lying underneath, easily one the best DIPAs I've had in a while. I've been waiting for a hop ride like this for a whilw, well done Green Flash!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
9.5% ABV

A - Shimmering clarity allows the beer's gorgeous deep honey golden color to shine beautifully, capped by a well-retained ivory head that splatters lace all over the snifter.

S - Green Flash is known to make some hoppy beers so I wasn't expecting to be surprised by the aroma but this beer legitimately smells like straight-up hops. I've grown hops for three years now and the aroma that comes off Palate Wrecker smells like your hands after you've spent two hours plucking the sweet little green buds from their bines; bright citrus, deep gooey resin, all the things that make a hop head rejoice! The best part about the aroma of this beer is that Green Flash knew exactly when to put the brakes on because the finish starts to get that overly hopped, dank rubbery smell.

T - Palate Wrecker's surprisingly gripping resinous aroma fades into a tropical fruit-laded bomb of caramel-coated honeydew melon, sticky mango, and freshly juiced grapefruit with a small squeeze of lemon oil and sprinkle of lemongrass on the finish!

M - Incredibly smooth for the level of IBUs one might perceive to be in this beer, Palate Wrecker has big balance from it's sweet malty base, a la 9.5% but, it goes down well and finishes with a lingering earthy dryness compliments of the bitter hops.

O - There's hoppy beers, then there's Palate Wrecker. Upon smelling the beer I immediately considered my palate destroyed but Green Flash balances this tropical hop bomb with so much sweet malt that the smooth body and bitter finish even out for a wonderfully drinkable experience!

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally found this bad boy at Hegedorn's (a local indie grocery store). Poured from a 22 into a tulip glass. Nice light copper color, but head is sort of sparse.

Aroma is wonderful. Piney citrus notes as expected. Tastes good as well.

Overall, a quality brew. I will seek it out again.

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.