Palate Wrecker | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Palate WreckerPalate Wrecker

Added by seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Ratings: 4,149 |  Reviews: 765

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Green Flash's Palate Wrecker last week for $3.39 at The Lager Mill. Green Flash recently entered the marker in Michigan and since I've never had anything from them I thought would pick up a few of their beers to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling, but it just showed up so it should be fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but it's pretty simple and it's not too eye catching. It poured a nice slightly darker orange color that took on more of an amber and crimson hue when held to the light with two and half fingers of fairly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patching rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of floral, earthy, slightly piney, green onion and citrus fruit hops with the green onion aromas sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a light toasted, slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aroma with a little bit of sweet malts in the background. The aroma is nice, but the green onion and garlic aromas are a little strong for me.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma with the green onion/garlic like hops still sticking out the most with a citrus hop flavor showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a toasted, grainy, caramel malt and sweet malt flavors. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness that lingers for a little bit with a citrus hop and green onion like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but the green onion/garlic aspect was just as strong as it was in the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, slightly crisp, a little sticky, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and decent example of the style, it had a lot of those west coast IPA aspect but the green onion seemed to get a little out of hand in this one and I thought it started to clash with the other flavors. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, slightly crisp, a little sticky, not too filing and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, i don't have the urge to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a very nice looking beer, it had good color, head and lacing. What I liked the least about this beer was the heavy green onion/garlic aspect, it just doesn't blend well with the other hoppy aspects. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not hard to find a DIPA that I like more for a better price. I would recommend this as a good DIPA unless you really like the onion/garlic aspect. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, I've heard that many people enjoy this beer, but I can't say that was the case for me, those onion/garlic hops really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. This isn't my favorite DIPA and it didn't make for the best first impression for Green Flash, better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.14/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours an almost amber color with a one finger light tan head. Fair lacing.
S: Intense fruit smells, grapefruit and almost a hint of orange. Plenty of pine and an afternote of caramel.
T: Hops up front mostly fruity and finishing with pine. Blends well with a caramelly malt flavor.
M: Medium bodied beer with a bit of a thicker feel
O: A balanced west coast style IIPA. Hop bitterness up front that is mellowed out by the malts.

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Nice golden color, good light tan head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Grapefruit hops right up front, then pine and resin, with a hint of malts

Taste: Grapefruit and resin hops up front and in your face. Pine hops are up next. Decent caramel malt backbone, but it can't stand up to the hops. Good amount of bitterness hits you almost at the end, then there's a nice citrusy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, good carbonation, little bit of oily-ness from the hops

Overall: Pretty good brew, but I'm glad I picked up a single rather than a full 4 pack. This is something I could probably drink one bottle a year of, but it is a very good and well executed brew. Not sure I would exactly say it wrecks your palate, but it is packed full of hops.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.16 out of 5 with 4,149 ratings