Palate Wrecker | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Palate WreckerPalate Wrecker

Ratings: 4,142 |  Reviews: 764
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Pint Glass.

A - Nice,filtered nice lacing. decent head that faded quick. nice looking

S - I Got that initial grapefruit tinge to it....orange peel...alcohol.

T - Just getting a lot of alcohol and mild grapefruit notes. Nothing Special.

Overall this beer is nothing great..just your typical double.

A: Pours a clear amber with a creamy, thin white mousse.

S: Aromas of caramel, lemon, lime, grapefruit, kumquats, tangerine, blood orange, and herbs absolutely throttle the nose.

T: Notes of caramel, brown sugar, lemon, lime, kumquats, herbs, tangerine, grapefruit, blood orange, and biscuit coat the palate. The finish is bitter and resinous with pronounced flavors of lemon, lime, kumquat, and grapefruit chased by a wash of peppery alcohol.

M: Medium in body and resinous. Carbonation is delicate. Alcohol presence is pronounced, yet not distracting.

O: A very solid DIPA. While I do not find this to be an enthralling example of the style, Palate Wrecker is still a very flavorful, well constructed brew. I would have no difficulty recommending this to fans of the style.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

I had searched high and low for a date stamp before buying but didn't see anything. It was from a store that rotates craft beer pretty slowly. However, now that I've drank half the bottle I found the date stamp and it confirms my suspicions: this bottle is 11 months old.

As a result my findings are going to be a little different than fresh obviously but I've enjoyed it anyway so I thought I'd rate it up.

A: Deep and dark version of orange with a light beige head with good resilience and decent lacing.

S: Green pine, earthy citrus was what I thought of. May not make literal sense but paints the right picture.

T: Well, here's when the age is apparent - it's got a great maltiness with light caramel and even some vanilla. The hops are there but definitely muted from fresh, and I don't get great resolution on the type of hops anymore. It's primarily citrus at this point, though - grapefruit and pineapple I think. This beer is really sweet now, both from the hops and malt side.

M: Very creamy and mouth coating for an IPA. It's slightly dry on the back end but mostly just creamy now.

O: I've never tried this fresh, but I'm pretty satisfied with it for being nearly a year old. Some IPA's will develop into interesting "mini-barleywines" if cellared, though most will just kind of fade into nothing interesting. I think this one does a lot better than most. I might actually keep one of the four-pack for another year just to see.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.