Palate Wrecker | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary

Added by seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Reviews: 727 | Ratings: 4,035
4.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The triumvirate of Centennial, Columbus, and Simcoe (CCS) is enough to triple the force of water. I don't recall the bottled on date the first time I had this, but the second time around I definitely took notice that the 22 oz. bomber was less than two weeks old. Glorious hops. I'm not adverse to my palate being wrecked; in fact, I welcome it. The head was a solid, cottony mass of super-sticky lacing that retained perfectly throughout my consumption. The holy trinity of CCS kept pounding my tongue like a judge's gavel, but I didn't complain. I was looking for life imprisonment at this point. Call me weiserr, call me the IPA Hunter®, just don't call me late for the next Imperial offering from Green Flash Brewing Co. I liked this one enough to start rapping again, so I apologize for what follows.

stem cell, couldn't duplicate, the gems well
DNA’s too brolic, in hell, my pens dwell
no kids can perform, the most wickedest form
of words, put in a song, ghostwritten by spawn
a.k.a., Wise, the AK lay lives
so you need a white sheet, like the KKK ‘guise
to prepare for war, hush, yeah, i’m sure
that i'm ahead of my time and, plus, been here before
wanna doubt my status, f**k it then line up
cause ya'll like scratched lenses, just f**kin’ the site (sight) up
with cheap collections, of reviews, with weak perception
that’s forced, lost in the search, to seek perfection
only to find a beast from the eastern section
to get out, you're gonna need more than police protection
at least a Wesson
cause when it comes to bodying an aspirant, i’m always suspect
like nas’ beat selection
a lethal weapon, lettin’ off, on people reppin’
the aura, is a combination, of evil lessons
and deceiving sessions, hustle all, i do it real
a hood hustler, i could sell tuna to a whale
the masses are blind, but they see what i’m sayin
by the using of this braille
so who you didn't feel?
don't lie to yourself, that's blind intuition
i'm a nightmare that will raise you out of that lying position
don’t follow these dummies, thinkin' i’m lame, playin’
yourself, sleeping on the hops, you’re basically sayin’
let's have a contest, see who neck hurts worst
for you to sign on, your software gotta talk to the network first
I run shit, and ran shit
like track runners on steroids, until I made the land split
but the Bros. didn’t ban shit…
never get at me, if your beers is not prized
that’s comparable to my clone, it is not WISE...

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Glowing bright orange with a thick pillowy white head. Long retention and moderate lacing going on.

Aroma - Very inviting. Lots of tropical fruits, mango, grapefruit, orange citrusy hops to go with some dank piney resin. Hint of malts.

Taste - The citrus aroma doesn't carry much to the flavor. Mostly bitter, piney resin hops. Quick hint of malts for some balance and sweetness before being overtaken by a bone dry bitter finish. The citrus notes surface a little more towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, creamy, oily mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Exceedingly long bitter hoppy finish.

Pretty good hop bomb, This beer has a lot of hype around it but I've had better DIPA's. Still a solid brew. I'd get it again.

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served up in my tulip at cellar temperature.

An unstoppable three-finger, slightly off-white head puffs up no matter how carefully poured. The body is a crystal clear dark golden orange. One might call it amber.

Resinous pine, pink grapefruit, and dank hops fill the aroma. Ahh... these are some of my favorite IPA scents...

And it hits! A hurricane of hugely bitter hops! The flavor has a resinous and resonating explosion of bitterness that tastes of citrus, pine, and grapefruit peel. It has a dry, astringent bitterness in the finish that reveals a little bit of maltiness: that splendid biscuity breadiness that the finer IPAs possess. Seldom does an IPA deliver such intense hoppiness as this. What more can one ask for in a DIPA's flavor?

Feel? Oh yeah. The feel. Sorry but the deliciously dank, bafflingly bitter hop flavor has me distracted, I'm affraid. The feel is ideal... for unleashing the untamed hop beast within.

Few DIPAs have made an impression on me like this one has. As I sip it, my palate not only adjusts to the unbridled bitterness, but begins to crave it. For true connoisseurs of IPAs, this is not a palate wrecker, but a palate placebo. Bathe in the bitterness, my friends.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle into a Founders Balloon Tulip.

Pours a clear dark ruby orange. Two fingers of white head recede into a thick ring, leaving a nice lace on the glass.

Nose is pungent. Huge citrus hop aromas and a sturdy malt backbone create a smack in the face. Nothing subtle here.

Taste is huge. Resinous. Extremely bitter, but with enough substance to carry the load of hops. Bitterness lingers.

Mouth is pretty heavy for a DIPA, but the beer warrants it.

Overall, a bruiser of a Double IPA. Many beers try to achieve this level of over-the-top hop presence, but more often than not they fail for one reason or another. This one is spot on.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Awesome fluffy head with great retention. It's so thick and luxurious! Perfect clarity with a caramel color. There's a light red hue as well. Good steady action from the carbonation.

S: This smells amazing! I'm six inches away from the glass I can smell it as clear as day. Tons of citrus and tropical fruit. Lots of caramel Some straight up grain aroma as well. Alcohol isn't to be found.

T: Phew! This is such a huge beer. There's tons of citrus and tons of hops and tons of caramelly/grain. The finish is incredibly bitter. This is definitely a hop heads beer. Not quite as bright as pliny but it's really an impressive beer. So much bitter grapefruit!

M: Medium to thick body with tons of prickly carbonation and lots of sour astringency.

O: Not quite as balanced as pliney but if you're ever looking for a hop bomb, this is one beer I wouldn't hesitate to suggest. Now if you're looking for balance in your beer you should mosey on and find something else.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From my tasting notes: The beautiful deep amber brew gave off a gorgeous aroma of sweet grapefruit and floral hops and was a wonderful smelling IPA. The taste was aggressively hoppy with a great blend of citrus, dank and piney hop flavors to make it a perfect Hop Bomb. While it covered my palate with a hoppy resinous residue it was surprisingly drinkable and an enormously enjoyable Double IPA. In short, I loved this beer.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. Green Flash-shaped bottle poured into pint glass:

A: Pours a dark, slightly hazy orange. Thick, light white head. Looks effervescent. This beer is pretty lively for 9.5%.

S: Smell is actually pretty tropical and there's a touch of roasted caramel malt.

T: Yowza. There's a bit of grapefruit and pine up front, but it's brief and soon it gives way to a full onslaught of bitter, raw, resin-y hops. There's some marijuana, pine-needle, and just pure bitterness. You really have to be a hop-lover to enjoy this beer (thankfully I am.) There's a bit of roasted caramel malt and sugar somewhere in there, but it ends very dry and with a long, lingering bitterness.

M: Actually pretty smooth, light and palatable (if you can handle the extreme bitterness.) Drinks like a beer with a much lower ABV.

O: Let me reiterate: if you don't love hops (and I don't mean those girly hop varieties, like Citra,) you will probably not like this beer. This is a real man's beer. Green Flash pretty much symbolizes west coast IPAs, and this is the best IPA Green Flash makes. My bottle is a few months old, and the hop barrage is completely relentless. I can't even imagine this super-fresh. Anyways, yeah, the DIPA scene is heading toward the more tropical, fruity, hop varieties, but this one is completely old-school and completely awesome. It's a bit one-dimensional in its hoppiness, but it's a hophead's dream.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance is pretty golden brown with a fluffy, white head and good lacing.

Nose is pineapple, fresh pine, caramel, and roasted hops.

Taste is bitter as expected, with plenty of sugars for balance. There is fresh bread and vanilla extract. There is some pine and lime.

Mouthfeel has plenty of hop bite with medium carbonation.

Overall, it is a hop bomb for sure, with enough sugar and complexity to not be over the top.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A-Golden yellow with a hint of orange, nice white head on top that lingers ever so soft.
S-Pronounced hop resin aroma, pine and fruit with a toasted malt character peaking through
M-Medium body in a quenching fluid that dries out in time
T-Oh so bitter and yet a sweetness that only really comes from too many hops. The bitterness lingers and lingers. It is almost too much for my personal palate. I also get a caramel level.
O-So this beer is definitely unique, there is a bitterness that comes from it that is borderline pain in my book. I enjoyed one, two would be a challenge. I recommend.

4.14/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from a 32oz. Boston Round into a tulip pint glass. Clear, cherrywood colored with a 1-finger beige head and some lacing.

S: Big hop notes right up-front, with a hint of alcohol esters. Fresh pine needles, citrus zest, grass, and some floral notes too, rounded out with a nice grainy backbone. Smells delicious and inviting.

T: Lots of flavor, with "big" being the defining characteristic. Big grapefruit rind taste up-front with big whole grain and grass flavors through the swallow and BIG bitterness on the aftertaste. Bone dry, and it lives up to its name. Other notes of blood orange, pine tar, flower petals, booze, and some tea biscuits all mixed in there. There is definitely a sap-your-mouth-of-all-flavor aftertaste that some might find off-putting, but I personally enjoy. It encourages me to drink more!

M: Clean and a bit chewy in-mouth with a hollow, bone-dry afterfeel. It's got good texture, and a full-body, not uncommon for a good DIPA. The filtered nature provides a very clean and crisp mouthfeel, one that belies the truly ruinous afterfeel.

O: A great one-off DIPA. One that I wouldn't drink many of, and it is important to remember to drink this after you have any other beers you might be interested in savoring, because it truly lives up to its name!

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A-Golden amber in color with a bright white half-finger head. Minimal lacing

S-Mangoes, peaches are very profound at first. A strong, crisp citrus smell burns as the sweet fruit smell fades away. The piney smell is a bit overpowering.

T-Bitter, citrusy fruits with a sweet mango aftertaste. The piney note in the smell comes through strong in the taste and is a bit too strong in the finish.

MF-crisp, highly carbonated. A bit dry.

O-IPA's are one of my least favorite styles of beer, but this was a pretty good brew. The sweet fruit smell is fantastic, but it is overpowered in the taste by a more bitter fruit and piney note. Definitely worth a try and is a good sessionable IPA.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Super hoppy; really strong citrus and pine flavors. Definitely couldn't have more than two in a sitting, and it has likely wrecked my palate for any subsequent beers, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

3.89/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear copper color , with a fluffy white head.
Aroma of hops is very powerful, with hints of grapefruit , pineapple and mango.
The taste... amazing! Hops stand up front offering a dominating bitterness , with the classic west coast IPA characteristics. The bitterness lingers on the palate.
Mouth feel is medium bodied with a crisp dry finish.
Overall, I really enjoy this beer, in fact Palate wrecker is one of my all time favorites. The only bad part is that it tastes so good that is really hard to drink them in moderation... 9.5 abv is only apparent after you've had a couple .

3.89/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a clear orange with medium to thick white head, some lacing

Big hop smell

Tastes like it sounds, a hop bomb with a lot of bitterness. Comes off a bit spicey with oniony tastes. Definitely has a lingering aftertaste. Huge flavor that goes well with spicy dishes

The mouthfeel is pretty sticky, the taste and body hide the big abv well

This was the third time overall having this brew and probably the best since it was the most fresh of the bunch. I wouldn't mind grabbing another fresh one off a single rack, but wouldn't see ever buying a four pack for myself. I understand if your a big hophead you'll love this one, I just tend to like a bit more balance and less bitterness

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Clear reddish gold. Modest head, strong lacing.

S: Lots of grapefruit and piney hops.

T/M: Bitter hops up front: grapefruit, citrus, some pine. The hops are layered and linger for quite a while, leaving behind a slightly bitter aftertaste. As the name suggests, this is big and bold, and very tasty.

O: Nice strong double IPA, as intense as you'd expect.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (Best By: 05-27-14) into a 13oz, Defiant Brewery etched tulip/balloon glass.

A- Pours a clear copper/amber color with a 1.5 finger, eggshell white, soapy head which sticks around for quite awhile...beautiful lacing as the brew is consumed.

S- Pungent dank hops: bitter citrus, pine resin, sweet tropical fruit and some booze.

T- Pine at the front of the palate followed by citrus flesh and and then bitter citrus rind. In contrast, I don't feel this is as an extreme DIPA as mentioned in previous reviews. Hop forward? Yes, absolutely...but not astringent as some might report.

M- A fairly slick (honey-like) mouthfeel. Chico/American/California ale yeast provides mild carbonation and allows the hop oils to have adequate time to absorb into the palate. A substantial malt backbone supports the hops nicely.

O- Despite the disparagement with ABV, Palate Wrecker is overtly reminiscent of Stone's Ruination IPA than anything else. If you have a penchant for bitter brews...this might be your weapon of choice. For the price, however, I will take Stone's Ruination without a thought. This is my 4th Green Flash brew and although I enjoy Palate Wrecker, I will prefer their Green Bullet, as it is much more unique. If/When Green Flash' satellite brewery in Virginia Beach, VA launches, I hope that brews like Palate Wrecker will be more affordable in the East Coast....until then, I will take Stone's Ruination IPA. (4Pack - $13.59)

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter.

A Amber/orange in color. Clear, filtered, transparent. Half inch of tan head when poured aggressively. This fades down to about a quarter inch and hangs around.

S A clean and fresh citrus smell right up front. Hops, of course. Some pine resin and malt, but both are rather subtle.

T Super hoppy. Bitter. Very boozy. Very hot. There is a some malt and a tinge of burnt sugar.

M There is fullness due to the malt that does exist under the far more pronounced layers.

O Palate Wrecker! No shit palate wrecker. I give it to GF for aiming to do something and following through. The booze and the bitterness define this brew. Both are prominent and unrelenting. It's good but, damn, it is bordering on too much. If such a thing exists.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Aroma: Bold as expected. Pine, floral, grapefruit, a bit spicy. Grassy and resinous. Some mild caramel sweetness and some pale malt.

Appearance: Light copper, high clarity. Some bubbles rising. Head is light brown with orange highlights. Great retention, super fluffy. Lots of lacing.

Taste: No misnomer here. Bold pine, grapefruit and some mild floral notes. Resinous, sticking to the back of my tongue. Some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slick and oily. Mild carbonation, very smooth, never stinging.

Overall: I'd trade some pine for grapefruit, but that's my only negative comment. About what I expected. Lasting flavor, never quite becoming harsh.

An Imperial IPA that improves as it warms up, fabulous!

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours a dark amber color with a thick off-white head, about two fingers.

S: Hops. Smells like crazy, super astringent piney hops knocking me back. Actually almost smells like some dank weed

T: Somehow, even hoppier than the nose led me to believe. once you get past the overwhelming intensity of it, you really get lots of pine and cat piss.

M: Medium body and fairly high carbonation, but the alcohol and sheer amount of hops in this almost numbs your mouth. I quite like it

This is my first offering from Green Flash and I freakin love it. I know not all their beers will be like this, but it definitely makes me want more. Without a doubt, the most hop-intense beer I've ever had.

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

Appears a clear amber with a persistent fluffy head. Smells strong of bitter hops, citrus, resin and toast. Tastes strong of bitter citrus hops and floral notes. Feels dry with medium-light body, lively carbonation, finishes long, strong and bitter! *EFL

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

Just as the name states. A palate wrecker for sure! Super bitter, from beginning to end. Solid beer,but maybe overdone with the bitterness. Aromas are nice, but over 100 IBUs make sure you're ready!!

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into my Bruery tulip.

A: Pours a very hazy dark orange (almost ruby red) with a big thick frothy slightly-off-white head on top, 2-fingers worth.

S: Pine and Grapefruit, at a moderate volume. More pine than grapefruit.

T: Dry, earthy notes and lots of pine. But that traditional "california IPA" grapefruit is also there. Strong sweetness on the back end, as expected from a "Double IPA" weighing in at 9.5%. This reminds me of a cross between a piney/earthy English style IPA and a California IPA, then kick the sweetness/ABV up a notch.

Strong bitterness on the back end of this beer. One of the more bitter beers I've had, just a shade less bitter than the Port IPA or the Arctic Panzer I've had.

M: Carbonation is a touch light, and the beer doesn't have as much heft as you'd expect at first, but then lots of residue left behind on the finish.

D/O: A little heavy on the "bitter" and pine for my liking. Not quite as much grapefruit/citrus reward as my *favorites*. Overall, a good IPA. Certainly one I'd revisit at a later date, but not something I'd choose to revisit tonight.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Three fingers of off-white head over a glowing clear amber body. Great retention and lacing.

S - Lots of citrus

T - Massive amounts on hoppy citrus, pine and floral notes, bordering on soapy. Malts are hardly noticeable, earthy and slightly sweet. Hop bitterness and lots of alcohol hang in the aftertaste for a long time.

M - Medium/full body with moderate fine carbonation. Very smooth with resin stickiness.

O - Add this to the growing list of beers from Green Flash that I love. Palate Wrecker is everything I'd want it to be: huge citrus hoppiness, subtle malts, massive abv, and yet incredibly drinkable. Will continue to buy this often.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from the expensive and stylish to produce bottle into a chalice.

A: Deep orange and browns. two finger head and wispy, stringy lacing down to a 2 mm disk. Has negligible legs. Active, gentle carbonation.

S: Lemony, grassy and some earthy musk. some sweet malty notes. There is this really funky tropical fruit notes and sour/metallic-aliphatic hydrocarbon note.

T: Follows nose with lemon, grass, earthy notes with sweet caramel malt like notes. Yeast is bready and what seems like a metallic note peeking near finish. Like sweet mango bread that has started to over ferment, on verge of rot, sitting out at room temp for one too many days and gets a spritz of zinc and phenol. Ah. That's it. That throat spray. What is it called....Chloraseptic? I have not had that for years, so I know it ain't mixing with the brew today.

M: This is a DIPA? Reeaaaalllly? I don't think it's a classic DIPA with massive early hop additions for the sake of extreme bitterness. This has a lot of hop and malt notes going on, not sure where the metallic notes are coming from but they're not patently offensive.

O: This is "biggie small". There's elements of hugeness that are tempered with restraint.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

the first bottle i had, it was the first beer i had yesterday and it was really refreshing -- it had First Beer of the Day edge. this second one, today -- i already had a Dale;s Pale Ale.... and NOW.... it is the Palate Wrecker.

pours a rich amber... it looks resionous... syrupy and builds a small white foam that sticks to the glass. the smell... i am lost -- it is not overpowering, i am getting hops, some sugar and pine.

the taste mellows as you sip.... but DEFINITELY not one for the faint of heart if you don't like the Bitter. i come back to pine and lemon pith... there is a beautiful floral bouquet that hits the top of the palate... but upon your tongue lingers the deep burn of bitterness and alcohol.

if DOUBLE JACK is an A+ .... this is an A- at best. a little too boozy and acidic hops.

Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.